magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of good VOIP providers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: List of good VOIP providers. Reply with quote

Here is a decent list of VOIP providers which are a great alternative to things like Magic jack or Nettalk.

Full service (supplies preconfigured device, include "unlimited" inbound and outbound domestic calling):
VOIPo
Phonepower

BYOD (bring your own device), pay-per-minute/calling pans for outgoing calls, full featured
Callcentric
Anveo
VoIP.ms

BYOD, similar to the above, bit less fancy:
CallWithUs
Future-Nine
Circlenet
Localphone
Localphone is my personal favorite, extremely good price/performance ratio.

Providers for heavy users/resellers
Voxbeam
FlowRoute
AlcazarNetworks
Bandwidth.com

Lowest cost international calling-low quality:
Betamax

Useful for receiving calls from abroad and other tricks:
Rebtel
SIPBroker
iNum.net

There are some other to be considered, like Vitelity.( On edit : Vitelity is now owned by Onvoy)

Last edited by cell14 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea of which of these (if any) are available for purchase / subscriptions from Europe?
Can they be used the same way MJ is from/to Europe for cheap $?
Gary_jbp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Can't tranfer number to Google Voice Reply with quote

My number is out of their support are.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
Any idea of which of these (if any) are available for purchase / subscriptions from Europe?
Can they be used the same way MJ is from/to Europe for cheap $?

Localphone is a UK based company. Obviously, you can sign up with them. keep in mind that as a EU based company they have to collect VAT if you billing address is in an EU country.
Most of the others can be signed up and used from european countries
Google Voice you have to sign up in the US, but then use the service overseas.
Callcentric, Anveo, VOIP.ms, callwithus, future 9, have international customers.
possibly the others too, did not check.
VOIP is per definition pretty global.
You can buy Obi adapter from Amazon.uk and ship to other european countries.
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MAIN reason for looking for other than MJ is that I'm not able to add to my int' deposit a/c or renew my current MJ subscription when the time comes.
My European c/c don't work with MJ, same with my Canadian c/c as I need to use it from Canada - and I can't since I'm in Europe.
Any suggestions to overcome this - (I'm actually quite happy with my MJ+ !!)
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
My MAIN reason for looking for other than MJ is that I'm not able to add to my int' deposit a/c or renew my current MJ subscription when the time comes.
My European c/c don't work with MJ, same with my Canadian c/c as I need to use it from Canada - and I can't since I'm in Europe.

If you have a friend in the US you can buy through him a prepaid credit card. American express has an excellent prepaid card.
The only reason why you are happy with MJ because you never tried anything else. Laughing
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Pilot wrote:

If you have a friend in the US you can buy through him a prepaid credit card. American express has an excellent prepaid card.
The only reason why you are happy with MJ because you never tried anything else. Laughing

No friend (that I know of) in the US Embarassed
But I still can't use a prepaid card from overseas, MJ will check my isp address.
Have been with MJ for 6-7 (?) years and no problems so far, except this shitty thing about not being able to renew sub. from overseas..., don't rally use it much, only for overseas, mainly US & Canada calls. Use my cell for all incoming calls from anywhere (that's free), free calls to my wife and cheap to anyone else within the country (US$ 0.07 @ minute).
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No friend (that I know of) in the US Embarassed
But I still can't use a prepaid card from overseas, MJ will check my isp address.
Have been with MJ for 6-7 (?) years and no problems so far, except this shitty thing about not being able to renew sub. from overseas..., don't rally use it much, only for overseas, mainly US & Canada calls. Use my cell for all incoming calls from anywhere (that's free), free calls to my wife and cheap to anyone else within the country (US$ 0.07 @ minute).

Your friends must LOVE you for letting them call your expensive Euro cell phone- I stopped calling a bunch of people over there because they dropped their land lines and expect me to call their cell phones.
But you can sign up for Localphone's calling card or local number services and call from you cell phone US for 0.5c/min or CAN for 1c/min. My mother has in her country one free local number calling from her cell phone, so she signed up her Localphone access number and can call US for 0.5c/min ( plus VAT) . Since I have an i-num with Localphone she can call me entirely for free from her cell.
If you sign in through U-surf when you renew your Magic junk that should create a random US IP address so MJ should not be able to recognize where you are located.
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no no, only my family & friends in my Euro country call me on cell ph. @ 7 cents / min or less. My overseas friends call me on my MJ, that's why it's important to me,

Will check abit about alternatives you gave me................

Thanks!
Blinn Moris
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what network is you are using .. I think that the rates are really cheaper and reasonable to afford them as it would be must give us the nice deals.

Please make me suggestions and visit here in:
Communications Services Australia

Last edited by Blinn Moris on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot - Assuming your "overseas" friends are within the U.S., that your cell phone is either an Android or iPhone, and that you've never before downloaded and installed a MJ app onto it, you *might* want to consider doing so. BUT IF YOU DO, set it up with a FREE MJ-assigned access number (that is their still-available - as far as I know anyway - free service) and do NOT "link" it in any way to your pre-existing MJ paid account. And do NOT go for the $10 app-only paid service either. If you do this, callers would have to first dial a US-based MJ access number and then from there would dial your unique MJ-assigned number to get your installed app to ring.
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SteveHC,
My (for me) overseas friends are in Canada - (new friends in the US are welcome too !! Razz ), but that should be OK I guess ??
My Samsung Note cell ph. should work, but will MJ accept "new, free customers" for this MJ app being registered from Europe ??
Will my Canadian (+ new US) friends then pay the same to call my "FREE MJ-assigned access number" as they currently pay to call my "house MJ number"?
My son is going to Hawaii in a weeks time (for 7-10 days), can he register this "FREE MJ-assigned access number" from there (not US mainland) without MY cell phone in his hands, or does he need to bring it with him, leaving me without it for a week or so?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My (for me) overseas friends are in Canada - (new friends in the US are welcome too !! Razz ), but that should be OK I guess ??"

- Certainly... as long as they wouldn't mind having to call the U.S. access number.

"My Samsung Note cell ph. should work, but will MJ accept 'new, free customers' for this MJ app being registered from Europe ??"

- Unknown, but it would certainly be worth a try - nothing to lose by trying. The Android app is available from ( at least) Google Play ( or whatever it's currently called), and I don't know if Google's app offerings available when in Europe differ from those in the U.S.

"Will my Canadian (+ new US) friends then pay the same to call my 'FREE MJ-assigned access number' as they currently pay to call my 'house MJ number'?"

- I have no way of knowing the answer to that question, as it depends upon whether or not they currently pay any LD charges to call you, their LD calling plans, etc.

"My son is going to Hawaii in a weeks time (for 7-10 days), can he register this 'FREE MJ-assigned access number' from there (not US mainland) without MY cell phone in his hands, or does he need to bring it with him, leaving me without it for a week or so?"

- ??? I have not certain as to why you'd want your son to do anything of this nature while in Hawaii, but I'm guessing you're thinking that you might be more likely to realize success with the app download, installation & registration process from within Hawaii as opposed to Europe... again I honestly don't know. But it IS true that one can only download, install and fully activate the app with the MJ service with the phone in one's hands. I'd probably go with Giving it a shot from Hawaii first, assuming your son will know how to respond to all of the various prompts that he'll be seeing on your phone that will be eminating from both the phone itself as well as the app... be SURE to tell him what to expect and what to do in these regards if you opt to let him give it a try.

DO know that there are some Android phones that are NOT compatible with the Android MJ app... so try doing a live help chat with MJ and ask them if they know whether or not the app will install and function properly on your specific phone model and Android OS version.

ALSO know that the app works ONLY when the phone is connected to high speed Internet via Wi-Fi or "4g" cellular data service; it will NOT be usable via the slower "3G" cellular data service speed.

Hope this helps!
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's again SteveHC !!

Registered my free a/c from Europe without a problem!

Works like a charm on calls made to Canada and from Canada to here !

Recommended by me!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
Thank's again SteveHC !!

Registered my free a/c from Europe without a problem!

Works like a charm on calls made to Canada and from Canada to here !

Recommended by me!

Cool!

To be honest, I've found that using the app on a smartphone with a decent WiFi connection provides much better audio quality than using the MJ+ -in fact, to me it sounds like a very high quality landline. Just make sure to set your phone's and the app's settings such that it will always ring when you receive a call.

Glad I could help!
Blinn Moris
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have came up to know that Rebtel and Phone Power is the most siginificat services provider and I also had experienced in my friend's offices who is using the services of Rebtel.

Please make me suggestions and visit here in:
Communications Services Australia

Last edited by Blinn Moris on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest, I've found that using the app on a smartphone with a decent WiFi connection provides much better audio quality than using the MJ+ -in fact, to me it sounds like a very high quality landline. Just make sure to set your phone's and the app's settings such that it will always ring when you receive a call.

"high quality land line" is a hype, decent quality VOIP line would be a better description, but otherwise I agree with the statement. The quality of calls via MJ is so catastrophic that I stopped talking to people who have it, but I was pleasantly surprised with the smart phone application- I could not believe it was MJ.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinn Moris wrote:
I have came up to know that Rebtel and Phone Power is the most siginificat services provider and I also had experienced in my friend's offices who is using the services of Rebtel.

Rebtel's rates are so extremely high that I did not include it in the list. I do not see any reason to sign up with them with the other choices available.
Phonepower is no interesting either.
The market is full with dozens of providers.
SYG15
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used Vocalocity? I looked at a bunch of Vocalocity reviewsand they seem pretty legit. Low rates and good service is more than magic jack-off can offer.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYG15 wrote:
Has anyone used Vocalocity? I looked at a bunch of Vocalocity reviewsand they seem pretty legit. Low rates and good service is more than magic jack-off can offer.

Seriously?
Monthly Fees: $19.99
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free ride with Google Voice will most likely end as of May 15th, 2014. But all the other good alternatives remain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: