magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux VirtualBox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Linux VirtualBox Reply with quote

well I got my magicjack working with innotek's VrtualBox i can call out and in.....

one problem the voice quality is choppy as hell....

My setup is an AMD x2 3800+ 1gig of ram - Debian 4.0 etchy *2.6.18-5-486*

I only have 200mb allocated to windows in the virtual window

ill mess with a few virtual settings and see if I can't improve performance a bit and come back to post more....

Edit: well there wasn't much to actually change - i tried using 512mb of ram for the virtual machine and it had to effect - i rooted around in windows and changed the sound devices from MagicJack device to default device - also no effect.. set the program priority to Realtime, again no effect.....Anyone with an Idea or 2?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can't answer your specific question but really curious: can you use a regular phone via the jack under VirtualBox??

Have been unable to use a regular phone (i.e., button grayed out for MJ sound device so that I can only use the "softphone") under Linux (Ubuntu or OpenSUSE+VMware).
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i was using my normal phone.. but like i said very choppy

I never have tried the MJ softphone. I may as well try it and see how it performs in VirtualBox
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Windows running off of Virtualbox in Ubuntu 7.04 and call quality was great...
But thats my experiance
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you saying you are running MagicJack under Windows on Ubuntu?

What is the purpose of that and what is the advantage? Is it just so you can use the

Linux Virtualbox?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad wrote:
So, are you saying you are running MagicJack under Windows on Ubuntu?

What is the purpose of that and what is the advantage? Is it just so you can use the

Linux Virtualbox?

In my case, I refuse to install Windoze natively on any new hardware I have -- I need a real, reliable, stable OS that doesn't wreck the filesystem IF EVER it crashes .... that precludes anything from Micro$oft.

In addition, I use encrypted Filesystems; Linux with its journaled filesystems works well with Encryption.

So, VMware either on Ubuntu (for the workstations) OR on OpenSUSE (for Servers) + Windoze XP running safely in a Virtual Machine works absolutely excellently.

Have also run Debian, Win2K, NT4, Ubuntu and other OS's in a VMware VM with fabulous results .... I can't say enough positive about it.

The only issue I have had is getting the MJ to work with regular telephone when running XP this way -- I can only use the Headset (Softphone); I have been trying to figure out why.

IMHO Virtualization is HUGE ... you don't have to look far to find collaborative Demos/Presentations with VMware and any Hardware vendor your are familiar with ... they seem to be partnering w/ everyone ... and M$ is feeling the heat. I believe M$ is even modifying licensing methodology to incorporate (their own virtualization) or thwart (other products) in certain scenarios. No, I don't work for or gain any profit from VMware.

PS, Macs run what??? Linux. And they have "Parallels" doing the same thing as VMware.

Linux = Free
VMware Server = Free
The Result = Priceless
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now I will have to check this out. I think it will happen eventually, too. Most everyone is tired of Bill and MS.

Those guys are starting to make lots of mistakes in what they envision the future will be.

Much power to you.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes same with testing123. Even tough I can get ANYTHING MS free (even zunes) I HATE MS. (BTW my cuz works at MS in seattle). So I hate windows on my computer. I do not like to run windows just for a magicjack. So I had 2 options, A) use a crappy laptop or desktop, or B) install virtualbox and use dat. And i did option B. I can run my jack, and browse the internet w/o worrying about viruses or anything.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
yes same with testing123. Even tough I can get ANYTHING MS free (even zunes) I HATE MS. (BTW my cuz works at MS in seattle). So I hate windows on my computer. I do not like to run windows just for a magicjack. So I had 2 options, A) use a crappy laptop or desktop, or B) install virtualbox and use dat. And i did option B. I can run my jack, and browse the internet w/o worrying about viruses or anything.
Kumar

Yeah Kumar, you said a mouthful. It is truly a shame that MJ has not provided NATIVE support for Linux -- I really think they need to fill this gap -- do you know how many Linux Users Vista has created??????

I use VMware a lot for Testing various OS/setups ... had been noticing Vendors who were giving Demos who show up w/ Laptops running VMware "snapshots" to automatically run a Demo and clean things up quickly without affecting their primary OS or its settings.

I like using serveral VMs running under a parent Server. The Parent runs very little (if anything) besides VMware. Each VM runs an OS with a few select Applications that are therefore "jailed" from the other VMs. If anything crashes or is hacked on a particular VM, there is NO effect on the others. That individual VM can be resurrected pretty quickly.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, you have my curiosity peaked. I did some reading on VMware. You do have to buy the VM software to run it as a server (to create multiple virtual machines). Is that correct?

Any links or reviews to read, or you can post about? And Virtualbox too, of course.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad wrote:
OK guys, you have my curiosity peaked. I did some reading on VMware. You do have to buy the VM software to run it as a server (to create multiple virtual machines). Is that correct?

Any links or reviews to read, or you can post about? And Virtualbox too, of course.

VMware Server is FREE. Goto their web site. Goto Downloads. Register your Email Address, request as many licenses as you need. Download. Get email almost instantaneously with unique License Keys. Done.
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.virtualbox.org

I am currently back in college after some 14 years away from school. Many of my IT classes require some specific windows compatible software. So what I had been doing was dual booting back and forth between debian and windowsXP. Virtualization has allowed me to stay in Linux most of the time without having to boot back and forth. I even use Wine (www.winehq.com) to run a few windows games and they work without a hitch *in Linux*. But I still have to boot back to windows once in a while to play a few games. Virtualization has just allowed me to do it less often.

As far as MagicJack is concerned, well my cel-phone contract has free minutes after 6:00pm. So really I dont even need a home phone after 6... Would be very nice for MJ to have native Linux support though.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks, Testing123.

Can anyone offer more info on Virtualbox? Just to save me some time searching and reading.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad wrote:
Good info. Thanks, Testing123.

Can anyone offer more info on Virtualbox? Just to save me some time searching and reading.

No prob ... there are more specific Howto's etc. but I will have to find those if I get some time.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great...and thanks. I am watching this topic.
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the soft phone works perfectly in virtualbox - absolutely clear with no issues...

this is depressing hehe
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Testing 123-

Come back at me on this, brother. Which is better VMware or VirtualBox?

Thanks
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad wrote:
@ Testing 123-

Come back at me on this, brother. Which is better VMware or VirtualBox?

Thanks

Honestly I can't say definitively because I have not used VirtualBox (only read about it).

I am very happy w/ VMware (and I am picky as hell) EXCEPT I can't get the analog telephone to work w/ MJ.

For EVERYTHING else I do I wouldn't even consider another Product -- it has eaten up everything else I have thrown at it w/o any hiccups.

Running various servers w/ multiple OS's that rarely (if ever have to be rebooted).
Run it on desktops. Run it on Laptops w/ filesystem encryption.

It handles it all, decent performance, and free, so I am happy.

There was SOMETHING I had read about VirtualBox that stopped me from going further but I can't remember what it was.

I also considered XEN (because it SHOULD give the BEST performance) BUT, you can only run Linux on top of Linux. Every so often, I have to run Windoze (i.e., like for MJ).

And, it is Free.

Two thumbs up.

Last edited by testing123 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks then. I read something like that, also. But as I recall it was in favor of VMware being more versatile.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad wrote:
Thanks then. I read something like that, also. But as I recall it was in favor of VMware being more versatile.

Something else I really like about VMware Server that I forgot to mention:

It allows you to Connect/Control a remote VMware Host -- basically a Remote Desktop/PCAnywhere type session that allows you to manage ALL the various OS's running on that remote host.

That feature alone is phenomenal because I can remotely pop to every Child OS running a box with full Desktop control. Sometimes the best things in life are FREE.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:

There was SOMETHING I had read about VirtualBox that stopped me from going further but I can't remember what it was.

I also considered XEN (because it SHOULD give the BEST performance) BUT, you can only run Linux on top of Linux. Every so often, I have to run Windoze (i.e., like for MJ).

And, it is Free.

Two thumbs up.

Forgot to mention, I tried QEMU, but it was too slow for my tastes.

I think the thing that scared me from VirtualBox was a possible filesystem concern, BUT I really can't remember now -- it was serious enough for me to look elsewhere and finally check out VMware.

What I can say is that I have used Linux Guests (using EXT3) and Windoze Guests (NTFS) on top of VMware Hosts using Linux LVM2, on top of EXT3 & Reiser journaled, with RAID1 (Mirroring), on top of Encryption, and never had a single Filesystem issue -- even after "simulating" a power failure. So I know it is good for that.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: a little help? Reply with quote

ok so I realize this is over a year old now, but I just installed virtualbox on ubuntu and am not able to get my magicjack to install. When I disconnected and then reconnected it I did see a change in the device manager as it refreshed itself, but no new sound cards or ymax anything showed up. I told vbox to use all the usb adapters I have in the system, magicjack, usb drive, external, etc, but none of them showed up in my computer. In fact the only new hardware that installed was the sound drivers I had mounted there. I'd like to use ubuntu linux as my main OS so any help you guys may have would be appreciated. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
juniorbodine
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of resources do you guys have on these machines running VMware and VirtualBox? Ive tried both and am always disappointed with the performance. One machine is AMD 1.6 GHz w/1 GB RAM, other is Intel 2.3 GHz w/1 GB RAM.

I've done VirtualBox under Linux, and VMware under both Linux and Windows host OS. It always slowed everything to a crawl and I gave up after a couple weeks.

What are the REAL numbers needed (processor, RAM, etc)?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniorbodine wrote:
What kind of resources do you guys have on these machines running VMware and VirtualBox? Ive tried both and am always disappointed with the performance. One machine is AMD 1.6 GHz w/1 GB RAM, other is Intel 2.3 GHz w/1 GB RAM.

I've done VirtualBox under Linux, and VMware under both Linux and Windows host OS. It always slowed everything to a crawl and I gave up after a couple weeks.

What are the REAL numbers needed (processor, RAM, etc)?

Quick answer (sorry, in a bit of a rush at the moment), IMHO:

1. You need min 2GB RAM for you Host -- trust me on this. RAM is cheap don't skimp. It is your best friend for virtualization
2. Would be fabulous w/ Dual Core or Core Duo or ... whatever Intel or AMD want to call it at the moment LOL. But not absolutely necessary. I have run on AMD64 3000 (single core) with great results.

Also there are a ton of tweaks to make VMware fly ... have to post them later
Some quick examples:
1) Preallocate memory for each VM so it is not Paged to disk
2) Turn off Memory Page Trimming
3) Setup a single/non-growing VMDK file (use vmware-vdiskmanager utility to create the file) - BIG benefit here
4) Turn ON Disk Write Caching (it is off by Default) - HUGE benefit here
5) Give your Guest OS enough RAM (depends on what you plan to run) - XP is good w/ 512MB; win2k Pro is good w/ 256MB

Again, if you really need it I will have to lookup the specific settings later tonight.
juniorbodine
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:
1. You need min 2GB RAM for you Host -- trust me on this. RAM is cheap don't skimp. It is your best friend for virtualization
2. Would be fabulous w/ Dual Core or Core Duo or ... whatever Intel or AMD want to call it at the moment LOL. But not absolutely necessary. I have run on AMD64 3000 (single core) with great results.

Some quick examples:
3) Setup a single/non-growing VMDK file (use vmware-vdiskmanager utility to create the file) - BIG benefit here
5) Give your Guest OS enough RAM (depends on what you plan to run) - XP is good w/ 512MB; win2k Pro is good w/ 256MB

I figured it was probably a memory limitation. I tried giving XP guest 512mb, but that only left 512mb for the Guest OS. It seemed to page to disk with every operation.

Looks like I need more RAM and a fixed VM disk w/write caching. Would be nice to upgrade to Core Duo, but money dictates smaller upgrades right now.

Thanks for the info, that gives me encouragement that it really is possible to get virtualization working well.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniorbodine wrote:
testing123 wrote:

Some quick examples:

I figured it was probably a memory limitation. I tried giving XP guest 512mb, but that only left 512mb for the Guest OS. It seemed to page to disk with every operation.

Looks like I need more RAM and a fixed VM disk w/write caching. Would be nice to upgrade to Core Duo, but money dictates smaller upgrades right now.

Thanks for the info, that gives me encouragement that it really is possible to get virtualization working well.

Yes, that probably left a lot less than 512MB for your Host -- i.e., due to shared video memory etc. etc. Your Host was probably RAM starved and paging like a fool.

BTW, what Host OS?? I am using Linux Hosts BTW -- my understanding is that VMware performs better this way than running a Windoze Host (but I have never used a Windoze Host).

1) Hosts I have used are OpenSUSE and Ubuntu and both are fabulous -- rock solid stable and great performance -- on both Desktop/Server and Laptop. I have had "production" test Servers running DNS/SMTP/Web etc. etc. running for > 60 days w/o any Reboot on PC-class hardware -- and even then I rebooted only because I wanted to mess around with Host OS hardware configs.

2) Guests I have tested: Debian, XP, win2k Pro, NT4, OpenSUSE -- simultaneously on one box!!
3) Filesystems: EXT3 and Reiser with LVM2 with Software RAID1 with Encrypted Filesystem

The performance rocked.

PS: VMware 2.0 is in Beta -- you can get it for Free. Among other things, it has USB 2.0 support. Haven't had time to play with it. I do know that it is a VERY different interface (web-based administration w/ a Plugin). Personally, I would recommend you play w/ 1.0.4 (current) for stability.

I don't have any affiliation w/ VMware.
juniorbodine
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:
Yes, that probably left a lot less than 512MB for your Host -- i.e., due to shared video memory etc. etc. Your Host was probably RAM starved and paging like a fool.

BTW, what Host OS?? I am using Linux Hosts BTW -- my understanding is that VMware performs better this way than running a Windoze Host (but I have never used a Windoze Host).

I tried both ways (XP host/various linux guests) and (Linux host/XP guest). The fastest seemed to be Virtualbox running under Debian host.

Linux guests under a Linux host ran great, but using XP as either guest or host slowed everything down. As you said earlier, it was probably the memory limitations of my machine causing paging.

I played around with Debian, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, FreeSpire hosts and whatever guests I could d/l from VMware or Moka5. Even tried setting VMware to run XP off an actual NTFS partition instead of a virtual drive. It could then run XP natively by dual-boot, or boot to Linux and run an XP VM from the same windows installation partition. It was a nightmare of complexity and could have trashed the partition severely. I managed to keep it together, but it still wasn't fast enough to be useful.

With a faster machine and/or more memory, I should be able to jump back into it pretty quickly. Had enough "adventures in virtualization" to kind of know how it works. Cool
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have virtualBox on 2 systems atm

My desktop AMD x2 3800+ (was using 1gb of ram and it worked great) now using 1.5gb of ram still no performance change
my desktop has 1 320gb sata with 16mb of cache, 1 80gb ATA, and a 40gb 10krpm scsi drive
8600gt 256mb

Now running Arch Linux, with XP in virtualbox and it floats along very smoothly no paging or system studders
though i was using Debain 4.0 on this desktop with no issues in VirtualBox...

----

other system is a laptop, Pentium 1.73ghz - 1gb of ram - 80gb sata drive - integrated intel craphics
Debian 4.0 with XP as the guest
also runs flawlessly with no paging and studdering

----

Both systems have XP(guest) set to use exactly 500mb of ram and 8mb of video ram, using either with Office 2003, general internet apps (browsing, Java Based games, email, etc etc etc), Some graphics manipulation with Paint Shop Pro - show no difference in performance that I can see

I have done nothing specific for configuration other than what i have stated about memory settings. I cannot comment on why it might be running a bit choppy on your system. Perhaps the apps that you are using are alot more power hungry than what I use? I really only need MS office for 100% compatible documents on the Desktop, the laptop is my wife's and she has to have windows cuz she is completely unwilling to learn Linux (her laptop's sensors took a complete crap and I had to install Linux with noacpi boot options cuz windows wasnt smart enough to install itself with noacpi) So she uses virtualbox windows guest %100 of the time with absolutely Zero complaints about the performance.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna add my 2 cents to all this...

I have been using a mix of the VMware server for the MJ phone and a softphone as well. I couldn't configure my softphone correctly on this install (as it was previously) until just now, and it works great. As for the VMs, I tried both VMware server and virtualbox, and lemme tell you, I think VMware server is just great. Both programs suffer from the USB issue that you have to edit before it will detect USB devices, but even after I did that VirtualBox still would not detect my USB devices. VMware server all I had to do was check which ones I wanted it worked fine. So I was running the MJ off my VMware server, and the call quality was just fine. Some times I'd get the error message about how it couldn't access the sound because it was busy, but I was still able to tell MJ to use the telephone and I could make receive calls that way just fine. I really think its kinda neat, that I can run a windows virtual machine, have my MJ connected to it, and then use the telephone on a machine that's "not really there," so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
juniorbodine
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Moka5 "Bare Metal" virtualization Reply with quote

If you are running Windows over Linux in VMware, you might be interested in Moka5. They have a mode called "Bare Metal" that installs a stripped-down Linux with hardly any services as the Host OS. Then you run multiple Guest OS's under it (Linux, Windows, etc).

It is built upon VMware technology and is freely available at: http://www.moka5.com

Another cool thing with Moka5 is if you want to try a new VM from their library, it streams the image over the internet and can be used even before the download is completely cached.

You can also create your own VMs or convert a pre-existing Windows installation into a VM using tools from VMware.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that's only available for windows and mac, not linux.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, it looks like I hit new topic instead of reply. Please ignore this...
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: USB in VirtualBox? Reply with quote

Hey all - been taking a look at VirtualBox to be able to run MJ while doing my real work in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10). I have VB installed, loaded XP Pro SP1, but do not see any way to tell it to use USB devices. None show up in the Device Manager, even though my USB mouse/keyboard are working fine.... But when I plug in MJ, it just opens the Ubuntu file browser, and VB never sees anything....

Ideas?
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't been able to post all week, so now I'm just testing to see if it will work or not...
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I just wanna add my 2 cents to all this...

I have been using a mix of the VMware server for the MJ phone and a softphone as well. I couldn't configure my softphone correctly on this install (as it was previously) until just now, and it works great. As for the VMs, I tried both VMware server and virtualbox, and lemme tell you, I think VMware server is just great. Both programs suffer from the USB issue that you have to edit before it will detect USB devices, but even after I did that VirtualBox still would not detect my USB devices. VMware server all I had to do was check which ones I wanted it worked fine. So I was running the MJ off my VMware server, and the call quality was just fine. Some times I'd get the error message about how it couldn't access the sound because it was busy, but I was still able to tell MJ to use the telephone and I could make receive calls that way just fine. I really think its kinda neat, that I can run a windows virtual machine, have my MJ connected to it, and then use the telephone on a machine that's "not really there," so to speak.

so you can use a regular phone on the guest in Vmware?
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: USB in VirtualBox? Reply with quote

mohoelx wrote:
Hey all - been taking a look at VirtualBox to be able to run MJ while doing my real work in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10). I have VB installed, loaded XP Pro SP1, but do not see any way to tell it to use USB devices. None show up in the Device Manager, even though my USB mouse/keyboard are working fine.... But when I plug in MJ, it just opens the Ubuntu file browser, and VB never sees anything....

Ideas?

I know in xp it works fine you just enable the usb 1 and 2 and set up a filter. all the info you need is in the drop down on the form. quick and easy
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use a regular phone in the VM.

I haven't been able to get it to work in VirtualBox, only VMWare server. Follow the code here to make it pick up USB: http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/10/26/usb-not-working-with-virtualbox-in-ubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon/

It works in 8.04 as well. VMware is, in my book, far superior to VB. Doesn't use as many resources either.
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:

I haven't been able to get it to work in VirtualBox, only VMWare server. Follow the code here to make it pick up USB: http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/10/26/usb-not-working-with-virtualbox-in-ubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon/

It works in 8.04 as well. VMware is, in my book, far superior to VB. Doesn't use as many resources either.

I've had no problem to get it to pick up the usb in virtual box. you just enable usb 1 and 2 and create a filter for it. all the info is in the drop down box when you select the ymax device.
I'm getting an "error 1406" on vmware server install.
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickage wrote:
gnimsh wrote:

I've had no problem to get it to pick up the usb in virtual box. you just enable usb 1 and 2 and create a filter for it. all the info is in the drop down box when you select the ymax device.
I'm getting an "error 1406" on vmware server install.

I use window xp and I did do an uninstall of it before and I have VMware worstation downloaded. could any of that be interfering?
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickage, are you installing VMWare server on ubuntu 8.04? If so, you need to follow a walkthrough for that since it is not yet suppored by them. Let me know and I'll find it for you.
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Nickage, are you installing VMWare server on ubuntu 8.04? If so, you need to follow a walkthrough for that since it is not yet suppored by them. Let me know and I'll find it for you.

no, on windows xp home on the host. I had it loaded before, but had a bad os disk for my guest, so I deleted it. I'm tring to reinstall it and am getting the 1406 error. cant find it in their knowledge base. I would like to uninstal it through control panel, but niether the vm workstation nor the vm server appear there at all. Sad
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a windows error, not MJ: http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108504

Google it for more links, I did "windows xp error 1406
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
This is a windows error, not MJ: http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108504

Google it for more links, I did "windows xp error 1406

it didnt give me that error when i first installed it. maybe i shouldn't be so cheap and should go out and buy a bunch of thin clients Smile
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like it had something to do with the partition you deleted actually. Try a fresh install so it can get to the complete registry.
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
It sounds like it had something to do with the partition you deleted actually. Try a fresh install so it can get to the complete registry.

I have , like 10 times. I don't think it uninstalled properly
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant fresh install of windows, just in case that's not the one you did. Anyway, here's a link that seems to be the most complete way to remove magicjack: http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm/2008/3/15/How-to-uninstall-Magic-Jack
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I actually meant fresh install of windows, just in case that's not the one you did. Anyway, here's a link that seems to be the most complete way to remove magicjack: http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm/2008/3/15/How-to-uninstall-Magic-Jack

its not a problem cause by windows, it was cause by this software. i
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about that. Is there any more context to this 1406? a message with it, something...
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. Is there any more context to this 1406? a message with it, something...

I got the vm server reinstalled but the virtual machine does not get on the internet and the netwrok icon on the bottom right has an exclamation point in it. It is set to automatically bridge???
MJRP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Not able to use analog phone on VirtualBox Reply with quote

Can some one please help me.

I successfully installed XP Pro in VirtualBox 1.5.6 on Ubutnu 8.04 with USB interface. My MJ comes up by itself and I can make and receive calls only with softphone.But not able to use analog phone.

On softphone, when I click Menu->Volume/Headset control, it is not allowing me to select "Telephone" radio button. It selected Headset/Other by default.

Thanks in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: