magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Linux softphones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Linux softphones Reply with quote

So I've been doing a lot of testing of softphones in linux lately, and I've had some very mixed results. I am currently using Ubuntu 7.10. I installed a VMWare machine, and first ran the MJ on that fine, complete with phone support and everything. But I wanted to go further than that and run something natively, so I didn't have to run the VM all the time.

Here are the programs I tried: linphone, Kphone, wengophone, ekiga softphone, gizmo project, xlite (for linux, and the windows version under wine) and twinkle. The only one I actually had any success with is twinkle. Edit: I got Xlite to work, see instructions at bottom.

let's see if I can streamline this.

TWINKLE

You can find twinkle here and they also have many packages towards the bottom for the major distros. I'm gonna go through and show you guys how to set up twinkle to get it to work, because I got it to work the first time I installed ubuntu, didn't document it, and then reinstalled (from 64 bit to 32 bit) and struggled until just this morning to get it work.

Here is a link to some deb files for very easy installation of twinkle: http://www.getdeb.net/app/Twinkle

So first, in your user account you'll need to set up your user name.
Your name
username (E<your number here>01), the
domain (just the IP address).

Next the SIP authentication.
Leave the realm field blank.
authentication name is your username the E<your number here>01 number.
Then fill in your password.

Move next to the SIP server section.
For the registrar you will need to use proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com:5070
Check the register at startup box.

Outbound proxy: proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com:5070
Check use outbound proxy box. Don't check the other 2 boxes below it.
Here's some more proxy servers:

proxy1.Atlanta.talk4free.com
proxy1.Austin.talk4free.com
proxy1.Baltimore.talk4free.com
proxy1.Boston.talk4free.com
proxy1.Chicago.talk4free.com
proxy1.Cleveland.talk4free.com
proxy1.Columbus.talk4free.com
proxy1.Dallas.talk4free.com
proxy1.Denver.talk4free.com
proxy1.Detroit.talk4free.com
proxy1.Houston.talk4free.com
proxy1.LasVegas.talk4free.com
proxy1.LosAngeles.talk4free.com
proxy1.Memphis.talk4free.com
proxy1.Miami.talk4free.com
proxy1.Minneapolis.talk4free.com
proxy1.Nashville.talk4free.com
proxy1.Newark.talk4free.com
proxy1.NewYork.talk4free.com
proxy1.Philadelphia.talk4free.com
proxy1.Phoenix.talk4free.com
proxy1.Pittsburgh.talk4free.com
proxy1.Portland.talk4free.com
proxy1.Sacramento.talk4free.com
proxy1.SaltLakeCity.talk4free.com
proxy1.SanDiego.talk4free.com
proxy1.SanFrancisco.talk4free.com
proxy1.Seattle.talk4free.com
proxy1.StLouis.talk4free.com
proxy1.Tampa.talk4free.com
proxy1.Washington.talk4free.com

Next, for the voicemail, just fill in your phone number (minus the E and 01), and choose unsolicited from the dropdown menu.

That's all you need for the basic functioning of the phone, so enjoy!
X-LITE
Click the button to the right of the "clear" button in the center of the xlite console. Choose system settings>SIP proxy>default.

Double click enabled, change to yes.
Display name: whatever you want.

Username: your proxy username
Authorization user: also your proxy username.
Password: Your sip password here
Domain/realm: UserDomain
SIP Proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com
Out Bound proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com:5070 (if your ProxyPort is different use that instead of 5070)
After this all the fields remain at default, change nothing.

Last edited by gnimsh on Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed twinkle as you describe. I seem to be getting a constant 503: Service Unavailable message and the log shows:

+++ 14-3-2008 12:51:19.386976 INFO NORMAL ::listen_udp
Failed to receive from SIP UDP socket.
Error code: 111
Connection refused
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put a screenshot up of your various settings?
Be sure to erase your number, just put a black line over it in a simple editor or something...if you care about us seeing your username (as your password is already hidden anyway)

I was getting the 503 a lot the last few days, having to do with the server outages. Try switching to a new server like newark instead of nashville, for example
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I tried changing servers with no luck. I noticed something in the log during the REGISTER portion:
Send to: 66.116.125.133:5070
Your Registrar entry is incorrect. Should be talk4free, not talkforfree. The latter domain actually exists and resolves, but there is of course no proxy there.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: apology Reply with quote

Tvland, I'm very sorry. I accidentally butchered your post, instead of responding to it. I don't know if there is any way to get it back. I hope my suggested solution helps. In any case, you can post again if you desire; I'll be more careful next time.
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: apology Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
Tvland, I'm very sorry. I accidentally butchered your post, instead of responding to it. I don't know if there is any way to get it back. I hope my suggested solution helps. In any case, you can post again if you desire; I'll be more careful next time.

Whoooo nice butchering there! Butcher up some steaks, I'll bring the booze!

I must be blind! That was it, thanks.
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have a different dial tone now. It's a higher tone than normal. I had this the very first time I plugged in the MJ.

Also is the best audio to use ALSA or OSS?

ALSA seems to have the device listed while OSS has a mixer.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there tvland, I tried to reply last night but kept getting database errors that would say there was nothing to post to, so now I'm trying it again...

So, I've got my magicjack soundcard working in ubuntu linux (7.10) but just the soundcard function of the piece, not the MJ itself. When I pick up the phone now I hear the same high-pitched sound, until I start to make a call, at which point the dial tone comes back. I believe its just a function difference between this softphone and the MJ one. It doesn't effect your phone calls at all though really...
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Which twinkle version? Reply with quote

Regarding twinkle, was the version you installed the 1.1x version or the just-released (as of March 8th) version 1.2?

Last edited by tradertx on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
gnimsh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow...I'm using 1.0.1. I guess I better go update!
gnimsh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm well I just checked it out and it looks like its still in beta, so I think I amy just stick with 1.1 a bit longer. Let me know if you notice some improvements?
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: versions of twinkle Reply with quote

What got me curious was in the Synaptic listings for my PCLinuxOS setup. It showed twinkle available titled as 1.1-3pclos2007 --- I'm not sure if that's exactly the 1.0.xxx version you are using, or slightly newer. Nor am I at all knowledgeable as to whether any version difference..... makes any difference regarding MagicJack. Just offhand, my impression is that any version that is already working... has a lot more credibility than any other, regardless of how much newer.
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Two twinkle links Reply with quote

FYI, I just found these two interesting twinkle links:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/twinkle_my_favorite_sip_program

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/twinklephone/
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing around quite a bit, I can see the call quality can be made better through twinkle. The only drawback is the dialing and and answering have to be done on the computer. We need some kind of drivers that can interact with the MJ directly.
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem I noticed is that the system scans the usb bus randomly and sometimes disconnects and then reconnects the magicjack. This hasn't happened in a call so far, but if it does it will most likely end it! You can tell when it happens because the light on the magicjack goes off for a second and then windows pop up for the flash and cd drives. This may be limited to my system unless someone else has this problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: