magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jittery VOIP & Thin Client Bandwidth Hog? HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aprmarie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Jittery VOIP & Thin Client Bandwidth Hog? HELP

Hi

I am technical but new to this technology... have just received an HP T5730 1gb/1gb configured with magic jack. I have plugged it into my router wired. It works but I can hear voice when I call someone but they hear me in broken segments. Also, my other PCs (one imac, 2 win7 laptops, xp laptop) on the network are having trouble getting the internet and email...

There are two issues I would appreciate your help with:

How to fix the jittery voice? and
If the thin client is hogging the bandwidth, can this be fixed?

Many thanks.... Cheers!
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Jitter can be caused by many things. Here's a quick article for some simple things to try to fix it http://www.ehow.com/how_2238303_deal-jitter-voip.html Also I would run a line quality test http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php and check the results.
Aprmarie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Thank you. Jitter at my location is measured as 27.9ms w/ 0 packet loss... is there anything I can do or is this not good for magicjack and I should not use it?

Also, my thin client seems to hog all the bandwidth when it is on... I have shut it down for now while I investigate if there is anything I can do... any suggestios???

Cheers,
:)April
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject:

Does your router support QoS? If it does then hopefully this can help. What is your up/down speed on your internet connection?
Aprmarie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi

Thank you once again.

My router is a D-Link DIR825 and does support Qos but I don't know what to do with it. I have started looking at what others are using it for but that's as far as I have researched.

With my thin client engaged, my net speed at 6pm:
PING - 50 UP .50 DOWN 5.2

Cheers,
:)April
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject:

One quick thing you can try is switching MJ to the Air Card setting (upper left corner of the dialer screen). Seems that uses a codec that requires less bandwidth. Don't forget to restart it after you switch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: