magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack keeps losing power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actuary32174
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Jack keeps losing power Reply with quote

I have had magicjack for a couple of days now. My problem is that the unit will not stay powered up. I have tried plugging the jack into both a usb hub as well as directly into the computer. Every few mintues, the computer makes an attempt to connect. Currently, as I am typing, the unit is powered down even though the computer has made about half a dozen attempts to reconnect. During each attempt, the blue light will pop on and then off and then stay off without reconnecting. A couple of times already, I have had calls dropped while speaking to clients. This is not a good sign. The hub that I have tried has a light on it showing that it is powered all the time. I can only assume that the usb port directly on the cpu is powered up when the system is up and running.

I like the concept and would like to use the jack in my business, but, this problem needs to be solved. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Gerry_52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us some information on your computer...desktop or laptop, OS, speed, RAM etc. Is the USB hub independently powered (does it use a wall wart)? Are you using any other USB components that require power? Have you spoken with customer service yet? Have you tried different USB ports on the back of the computer that are attached directly to the motherboard? According to MJ, the blue light doesn't do anything at this time, but may be used for a voicemail indicator at sometime in the future. However, it is an indication that there is a loss of power somewhere, either on the motherboard or a problem within the MJ dongle itself. Please keep us updated...especially if you get it working.
actuary32174
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a desktop with Windows XP, 2.26 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. I ge the same reason whether I plug into a port on the hub or directly into the box in the front. Like I said, every so often I hear the computer trying to get the jack to initialize. Sometimes the jack is on, but, most times not. I have a hub plugged into the back of the box that has a couple of entries into it.
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try plugging the MJ into one of the USB slots on the back of the computer, these are generally the most stable voltage wise. They are in many cases the only USB slots on a computer that meet the spec. Do you possibly have a friends computer that you could plug the MJ into. If it does the same thing then it is the MJ unit itself.
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have you tried the MagicFix program on the softphone?
ajeff
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem and traced it back to a Winamp usb output to a wireless media connector. Same problem whether running of machine usb port or powered usb hub. Disconnect media connector, no more problem. Leads me to believe the problem is in the software handling of the usb ports.
actuary32174
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Problem Fixed Reply with quote

I contacted tech support and after a lengthy on-line conversation, the problem was solved. The tech person had me go to devise management and change the drive identifying to "X". Don't ask me what this means, but, now the unit starts when the computer boots up, stays on, the reception/transmission quality has improved and it is working exactly like I had hoped. Now, to be cautious, this is how it works yesterday afternoon after speaking to the tech. Today is a new day. In all fairness, when I started the computer this morning, the unit lit up, the program initiated and everything is working fine. Time will tell, so far so good.
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Problem Fixed Reply with quote

actuary32174 wrote:
I contacted tech support and after a lengthy on-line conversation, the problem was solved. The tech person had me go to devise management and change the drive identifying to "X". Don't ask me what this means, but, now the unit starts when the computer boots up, stays on, the reception/transmission quality has improved and it is working exactly like I had hoped. Now, to be cautious, this is how it works yesterday afternoon after speaking to the tech. Today is a new day. In all fairness, when I started the computer this morning, the unit lit up, the program initiated and everything is working fine. Time will tell, so far so good.

I'm thinking that the reason they had you change the drive letter for the MJ is that as you add and remove peripherals the drive letters change depending on the order they load in. One time your jump drive may show up as M drive,another time it may show up as L drive. The drive letter assigned to the MJ will now stay constant each time you load it. Constancy is good in computers.
ruggb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do u mean by powered down?

if the blue light is still on it is powered up
If the phone is dead, that is another issue.
try switching to headset - computer audio - if there is a dialtone, then MJ is working but not keeping the phone connected. - currently an issue I am trying to resolve.
TNS decided I have a bad unit - sent another - but I can't connect it without changing my phone number-their issue now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: