magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's 1Q 2010. Is Linux software coming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearymore
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: It's 1Q 2010. Is Linux software coming? Reply with quote

The MJ web site is still promising native Linux software during the first quarter of 2010. Well, the quarter is almost over. Any chance of some software?
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: It's 1Q 2010. Is Linux software coming? Reply with quote

Bearymore wrote:
The MJ web site is still promising native Linux software during the first quarter of 2010. Well, the quarter is almost over. Any chance of some software?

No, never happening.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: It's 1Q 2010. Is Linux software coming? Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
Bearymore wrote:

No, never happening.

I have to agree. Previously the promise was third quarter 2009. Just out of curiosity, how long has MJ been promising the ability to port in numbers (which there's probably more demand for than a Linux client), and have they promised specific dates before? Looking at their FAQ right now it just says "soon".
kitkat0981
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to understand that porting is not an easy thing to do even for a Voip carrier. There's alot involved and charges aswell. I work for a Voip carrier and hear nightmares about the porting. You need a whole departement just for that purpose.
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, I have gotten it to work using VirtualBox in a XP VM. See my post here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack-on-virtualbox-t7984.html

Best
Z
LazerPhreak
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Jazz'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4190104767506X

Jazz: Hello, how may I help you?

**** * ****: Hello.

**** * ****: I was wondering when support for Linux will be released?

Jazz: we dont have any updates regarding that yet

**** * ****: So there's no actual plans as of yet?

Jazz: i dont have much details but i dont believe we will ever actually offer support for any linux operating system. We found it to be too difficult.

**** * ****: Ok thank you

Jazz: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they're willing to update their FAQ regularly to make false promises about coming Linux support, but it's too difficult for them to change it once to include a mention of auto-renew.
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, BOOO HOOOO! Crying or Very sad

They found it too difficult. They'll find it less difficult when they realize how much market share they're losing by NOT porting to Linux.
chrisadam
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start using Linux, you will want to choose a distribution. A distribution, or distro, is the Linux operating system. Distributions are put together by companies or nonprofit groups with the operating system and preinstalled software they feel will best suit you. Many distributions include an application that can search the internet for other Open Source software, download and automaticly install it for you free of charge.

We have listed some of the more popular distributions below including our favorites, Ubuntu and Red Hat. Many distributions, such as Ubuntu, offer the ability to create a bootable CD so you can try out Linux without even having to install it over your current operating system. Once you pick your distribution, it might be a good idea to pick up a book to help you with the installation and setup for your needs.
jasorn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Desmond'
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK43602486600X
Desmond: Hello, how may I help you?
Jason: just curious what the status is of supporting linux and if the faq can be updated with this information so others like me who've keep coming back based on the fact the faq makes it sounds like linux support will be coming
Desmond: As of the moment, our Engineers are still working on that.
Jason: i'm just asking for a couple minutes of time to update the faq
Desmond: MagicJack won't work on Linux yet.
Jason: i know that.
Jason: what i don't get it why the faq doesn't get updated.
Jason: it currently says, "Not yet. We expect to offer Linux support the first quarter of 2010."
Desmond: We apologize for the inconvenience, it will be updated soon.
Jason: that would be most appreciated.
Desmond: Our Engineers are all doing there best to release this this soon.
Desmond: Yes, I will forward your concern to our Engineers.
Jason: i believe that. we'd like a little update now and again. thanks
Desmond: We are hoping for your understanding and patience.
Desmond: Have a nice day, take care and be safe.
jasorn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Coming THIS quarter!? Reply with quote

I'll be danged! They did update the faq. And it says they expect to support linux this quarter. I know it's been promised for a long time. What's different this time is instead of a future quarter, they said it's expected this quarter.

Go here and search on linux to see for yourself.

http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq/
zegreatone
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: "This Quarter" Reply with quote

Well they are smarter than you think.
Now they never have to update it and we can't argue that it's outdated!
mcx151
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were that smart they should have just typed in Next Quarter. hahaha... It's always the next one.

Who cares, no one reads the faq anyway.
jasorn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Doesn't matter, doesn't net talk kill magicjack anyway? Reply with quote

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/voip/nettalk-duo.aspx?utm_source=Blog&utm_medium=text&utm_content=netTALK_Duo&utm_campaign=smartlinks#axzz14EzNx8BF
splaq
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Sooo...Yeah they're leaning hard on their engineers.. Reply with quote

You are now chatting with 'Ethel'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43604487654X
Ethel: Hello, how may I help you?
Mike: Just curious if there's any chance you will be supporting the Linux Operating System anytime soon?
Ethel: As of the moment, We are still waiting for more updates from our engineering team.
Ethel: You may visit our website every now and then for important announcements about the feature.
Mike: Yeah I just checked out the FAQ it says sometime this quarter, but that was over a month ago.
Ethel: I apologize for the long wait. I can assure you that our Engineering department are working on it. We will be able to stream you more updates from the website as soon as we get a hold of any available information from them. I appreciate your patience regarding this matter.
Mike: I was hoping maybe you had some more up to date info. Like a date or something. From what I've been watching you've been "promising" it for almost 2 years now with nothing but "soon" as a responce to the question
Mike: Is there some way I can chat with the engineering team to get maybe a little better idea?
Ethel: We do not have an exact time frame as to how long it would take our telco engineers to come up with an update on this.
Mike: Yeah that I see...Okie, Well thanks
Ethel: You are welcome.
Ethel: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Mike: Nope that is it
Ethel: If ever you needed any assistance, please feel free to chat us back again. Thank you.
NinjaNumberNine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Please wait for a site operator to respond. You are now cha Reply with quote

have you ever hated the INTENSE formality of the chat 'technicians'?
normally I wouldn't pressure them like this, but it's hilarious in it's own dry way.
Quote:

You are now chatting with 'Lizzie'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43606048107X

Lizzie: Hello, how may I help you?

Chris: is the software really going to be ported to Linux, or not? I've just read this page: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/it-s-1q-2010-is-linux-software-coming-t8668.html so I have an idea what the answer's going to be- a computer-generated, "we are sorry for the inconvenience and we sincerely hope you have a nice day, goodbye.

Lizzie: No, Unix/Linux operating systems are not supported yet.

Chris: but if you have any updated info that says otherwise, that would be nice too. Wink

Lizzie: Unfortunately Chris we still do not have that.

Chris: IS IT GOING TO BE, THOUGH?!! Smile

Lizzie: Our engineer is still working on it.

Lizzie: Yes.

Chris: that's what I thought you'd say, and what you were saying last year, etc etc

Lizzie: It will be once it is already available.

Lizzie: And possible.

Chris: and you can hang me up if you want to. Wink

Lizzie: I understand that but that is the truth.

Chris: I know, but the engineers should contact you more often.

Lizzie: That is why we do not give any time frame for that, so that you will not expect to muxh.,

Lizzie: They are.

Lizzie: They always inform us in any update.

Lizzie: If you want you may check us here from time to time for that updates.

Chris: suggestion: why not just take off the 'we are working on it' for a year or so, and then have a big notice that "as an added bonus, Linux is now supported! have fun!" when it's completed.

Lizzie: We can consider that suggestion Chris, no worries, I will address that concern and suggestion.

Chris: *sighs* I always end up wondering whether I've been chatting with a computer at the end of the session...

Lizzie: No you are not.

Lizzie: You are chatting to a live person.

Chris: okay, what is the capital of the USA

Chris: Wink

Lizzie: That is already out of your problem or issue.

Chris: see?

Lizzie: That is not a related issue for magicJack.

Chris: oh well, I guess I won't be burdening your server ram anymore... [exit 0]

Lizzie: I understand that you are making sure that we are a live person, believe it or not we are.

Chris: how about, [or not]

Chris: is it against the rules to use a smiley?

Lizzie: smiling.

Chris: oh and remember when I said "and you can hang me up if you want to. Wink"

Chris: Smile

Lizzie: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Chris: so, issue to the ground, Linux support isn't coming in the near future, correct?

Lizzie: It is Chris, but we do not have any time frame on when is the exact date or year it will be available.

Chris: hopefully by AD 3000?

Lizzie: No time frame Chris.

Chris: OK, goodbye, server 1340010. exit code 2930...

now you see what I mean? Wink

-NNN
bearly230
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Linux support has been cancled. Reply with quote

I just got finished with an online chat with there support and here is the log. In short they state that they have canceled there development for linux.

You are now chatting with 'Gretchen'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43607962597X
Gretchen: Hello, how may I help you?
Russell King: For over a year now I've been seeing that magicjack was going to release a linux driver. There was on official statment that it would be released 1st quarter of 2010. I would like to know when it will be released. Or has linux support been cancled.
Gretchen: Let me assist you.
Gretchen: Right now, there are no updates about the releasing of linux driver in magicjack device.
Gretchen: We still do not have any information about that, Russell.
Russell King: Please ask your supervisor if they are still going to release one. Having over 1.5yrs is a very long time to have to wait if they are in fact developing one.
Gretchen: As I have checked it seems that the Linux project has been canceled Russell, because right now they are busy on number porting.
Russell King: Thats what I wanted to know. Thank you. Just let them know there are many people who would like to use your service. But the exclusion of linux prevents them from being able to.
Gretchen: Yes, I will Russell.
Gretchen: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
Russell King: Thank you.
emsai
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Nothing but lies Reply with quote

MJ continues to be deliberately deceptive about using Linux; all they do is change their verbiage on their FAQs. It is now 1Q 2011 and they are saying it will be available "... in the future." They have been saying this (or some form of it) each quarter for about 2 years now. I doubt seriously that they are doing ANYTHING AT ALL about it.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nothing but lies Reply with quote

emsai wrote:
MJ continues to be deliberately deceptive about using Linux; all they do is change their verbiage on their FAQs. It is now 1Q 2011 and they are saying it will be available "... in the future." They have been saying this (or some form of it) each quarter for about 2 years now. I doubt seriously that they are doing ANYTHING AT ALL about it.

2 years. If my calculator is working properly that works out to approximately 8 quarters, give or take. Seriously, no offense is intended, but yet you keep going back and checking.

Brings to mind 2 quotes:

1) Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me (lord knows what it is once you reach eight).

2) Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Attributed to Einstein) http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins133991.htm
emsai
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure an offense was intended as you had to resort to 2 personal insults. Petty invective aside, your response is about as constructive and useful as the MJ promises. Dan could hire you to walk his dogs and do the scooping.
emsai
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

494 posts since March 2010 !!! Get a life.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emsai wrote:
I am sure an offense was intended as you had to resort to 2 personal insults.

No offense intended. Just pointing out the obvious. See you in 3 months Mr. Ed. I will pass on the obvious joke potentials.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emsai wrote:
Get a life.

I have one. It's observing when people are horses behinds for expecting MagicJack to follow through on a promise for more than 2 years. And then saying, and I quote, "I doubt seriously that they are doing ANYTHING AT ALL about it." I might wait another quarter or two before I jumped to any harsh conclusions and started to seriously doubt MagicJack's intentions. And here I always thought you Linux users were the smart ones.

I knew I wouldn't be able to pass on the Mr. Ed joke.
emsai
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

496 posts now! Nah, you don't have one (a life), unless you call dwelling in an unofficial support site a life. You live for the repartee on this site. You win! You are such a master of the bon mot that I must surrender.

By the way, I use Linux (ubuntu) because, combined with an SSD, the speed is stunning. It makes XP and Win 7 feel like an abacus.

And you can plant a big kiss on the south end of MrEd as he heads north.

PLEASE do find something to do tonight - go get laid or something.

Don't make it 497!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emsai wrote:
496 posts now! Nah, you don't have one (a life), unless you call dwelling in an unofficial support site a life. You live for the repartee on this site. You win! You are such a master of the bon mot that I must surrender.

By the way, I use Linux (ubuntu) because, combined with an SSD, the speed is stunning. It makes XP and Win 7 feel like an abacus.

And you can plant a big kiss on the south end of MrEd as he heads north.

PLEASE do find something to do tonight - go get laid or something.

Don't make it 497!

Hmmm, interesting concept and argument. Proving that you have a life by keeping track of the number of posts from someone who doesn't have a life.

Back to my abacus, that MagicJack works fine with.
ZaPHoN
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Avoiding the topic Now! Reply with quote

It would seem that MJ is now avoiding the topic of linux drivers like the plague now.

Several times I get rudely cut off. This is the last one chat I had in which they just ended the conversation abruptly.

Being in business development this seems to be highly unusual for a company to take this position with such a straight forward development such as drivers for linux. I suspect they don't want to disclose something we are not allowed to know.

You are now chatting with 'Stela'

Your Issue ID for this chat is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stela: Hello, how may I help you?

J: Hi, I'm getting desperate here both as a user and a reseller of MJ's I as well as many of my customers are now using Linus and we need MJ to hurry up and give us Linux drivers ASAP

J: If not I'll have to stop selling MJ's because of this reason

Stela: One moment please...

Stela: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are not currently in a chat session.

You are now chatting with 'Chris'

Your Issue ID for this chat is xxxxxxxxxxx

Chris: Welcome to the Higher Level of Support. This is Chris, I will be assisting you today.

Chris: Please hold while I check your previous conversations.

J: Hi, I'm getting desperate here both as a user and a reseller of MJ's I as well as many of my customers are now using Linus and we need MJ to hurry up and give us Linux drivers ASAP

Chris: One moment please...

J: If not I'll have to stop selling MJ's because of this reason

J: Specifically support for Ubuntu

Chris: We cannot give any Drivers for LINUX since we do not support that OS as of the moment. We only need to wait for our higher department when it will be available.

Chris: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I will have to end this conversation now, if you will have any other concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to chat us back. We are always here to assist you. Thank you.

Oops, connection interrupted. Please click here to reach us again: www.magicJack.com/techchat
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, am I the only one here who's aware of this interview from 2008? Good ol' Dan has been talking his Linux support crap for years and years. Here's the article ...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-inventor-plans-linux-support-improved-customer-service-and-more

April 2008 where he states ... (Question & Answer):
Quote:
Mac OS X support has been added to magicJack. Could Linux compatibility be coming down the pipe? DB: Yes, and because the of the similarities between the Mac and Linux OSes, we should be able to support Linux fairly soon.
brandinhess
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked with Magic Jack customer service on numerous occasions, and they do not indicate the release of a Linux driver for the device. However, I have prepared a simple tutorial on how to use the device in conjunction with Google Voice/Gmail Chat. The address is below:

http://brandinscotthess.tripod.com/mjtutorial_linux.pdf

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: