magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interrupted speech caused by router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Interrupted speech caused by router Reply with quote

I posted to a blog also and do not intend to be cross-posting, presuming posting to a blog is considered not the same as a forum:

I am running into a cyclic interruption of speech seeming to be roughly on a half second, off a half second, continuously repeating in that manner.

Working with a helpful person from MJ we found the problem to be something to do with my Belkin pre-n router (when we took it out of the loop and connected the computer direct to the cable modem the problem disappeared), but as of yet just what can't be found. We have tried forwarding 5060-5070 UDP, 80 TCP (Which I can't understand still just why, for if that needed forwarding wouldn't my internet browsing fail?), and 443 TCP, but so far no success.

Anyone else run into and/or solve this issue? I can't even theorize what about the router would cause a "gating" of the sound like that. I have replicated the problem on a hard wired computer, on a wireless computer, listening to the recording that greats you when you call your own number to set up voice mail and calling the number from another phone. I find the problem to be in both directions - whether I am speaking on the MJ phone to another phone or from the incoming from the "other" phone to the MJ phone.

This problem is the only problem I noticed and has been the same over the past week of testing, other than a noted delay of signal.
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

First, the folks at MJ have been making themselves available via phone for my constant help, but as a lot of this seemed to me a plug and chug kind of thing, I didn't want to tie their people up if I could avoid it. And so, I began chugging away...

After inspecting logs from both Port Explorer and the router, I find that my router was interpreting the communications by MagicJack as a flood attack on and by my computer, signaling and blocking blocks of both inbound and outbound traffic. I sent copy to the MagicJack tech folks, but I am fairly certain they will concur as it seems pretty blatant. Due to limited configurability of the router-borne firewall, I simply have to turn that option completely off. Now what really ticks me off is in researching the ability to reconfigure the router, that if I only registered my router I would have gotten notice from Belkin that I was part of a class action suit against them due either a 50% or 100% (100% if I could find the receipt) refund, but the window to claim expired 180 days from some day in last March or April. Dang. Oh well. I really should upgrade that router sometime soon anyway, and this time I will register the idiot thing...
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now you know at least. When you first read this, you think about "Belkin", but don't want to point fingers.

I have been researching routers and Belkin does not get terrific reviews...
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have put in my research to help the world of MagicJack users, perhaps the moderator will let me get away with this -

Hey! DigitalNomad! For the $100 to $200 range, including wireless and in the "n" category, what do you recommend?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucemc777

Dlink's Dir-655 is is a great routher lots of options (more than I can figure out how to use). And Costco has been selling them for $119.00 dollars.

PS - It is also a wirless "N" accesspoint @ 300 mbps.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just overclock a WRT54G with DD-WRT. You could multiply the signal which I need in my house....My router is on one side of teh house and then my house is 4000 sq foot and wide....so i dont get signal like on the other side....Even though I didn't overclock my WRT54G myself, I would reccomend you getting it. Wireless N is still not how it should be and most likely you do not need that much speed. Wireless N has a lot of glitches and if you stuck with G you would hardly notice a difference (with regular browsing). If you do want N stuff then get pre-N, i personally think its more stable then N.
My 2 cents
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Bruce777

Anything "N" is overkill, since you are governed by the down/up link speeds you get from your ISP. And broadband is not served up at N speeds (B speeds at best from what I can tell).

That being said, I don't know how you can go wrong with anything Linksys since they are backed by Cisco. Then just shop around for the best price (eBay maybe?).

Anything G band is OK too. I also see that there are plenty of hacks to boost a Linksys G router, and make it special...more like a true mesh network even.

Do a search on "Turn your $60 router into a $600 router...ah heck, here a link for this hack. I have not done this, but it sure looks interesting. This may be the "overclock" hack Kumar has posted about, except it has been updated and is now called "Tomato".

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you EVERYONE!

btw, I have 8MB down, 1 or 2 up. G can really use all that? Hope to find FIOS where we move to next! Apparently the hack will fix the range problems I always had before - the new house is 3,850 sq ft, but really thought n would come through with more speed. Of course, that was what Belkin was successfully sued over...
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some pretty good speed for broadband. Who is your service provider? My speeds are less than half that, or less.

You may want to do a speed test to be sure, but if you are really getting those speeds...go with the Pre-N, or wait a bit.

Ah heck...we are not talking about a lot of money, just get the Linkys GL and make it a weekend project. If you, have that big of a house, you could flash a couple of these boxes with Linux and create your own mesh network.

Then you can have some fun with it, and have something to brag about, too.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucemc777 wrote:
Thank-you EVERYONE!

btw, I have 8MB down, 1 or 2 up. G can really use all that? Hope to find FIOS where we move to next! Apparently the hack will fix the range problems I always had before - the new house is 3,850 sq ft, but really thought n would come through with more speed. Of course, that was what Belkin was successfully sued over...

yes my house is also about that size (4000sq ft) but it should be fine if your router is in the middle of the house. Otherwise if your like me and have it at then of the house you will have some trouble. FIOS is starting to get annying, they make you sign a 2 year and I think to get it at $39.99 and get their promotions you need to have voice. When i signed up when it just came out they offered me it for $29.99 for a year and a 1 year contract. But after the contract was over they were chraging me $60 a month. So I switched to using my neighbors open linksys for a few months and now am signed up for the comcast $19.99 for six months, free modem, and $150 cash back. That's just my experiance with ISP in philly area....Oh yea, if you get FIOS make sure u get the CAT5 put in and not the gay moca. If you get the moca coax you will have to use their actiontec router.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charter cable, I think they are doing all they can to fence out FIOS from coming in this area and losing the customer base, whenever that will be, around here.

Reading through the hack - looks like fun! And honestly, whether it is from over taxed servers or whatever interference, I have seriously doubted I have been getting anywhere near the advertised speed for a long time. Speed tests have shown impressive results, especially from very close hosts, but as you throw in more hops and complications, it just does not pan out. On the other hand, I would hate to short-change myself, but the hack looks like a great economical hybrid solution.
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got my WRT54GL today, flashed it, pumped up the output a little higher than they recommend to get comparable signal, so far, so good. Guess I should try the Magicjack units again, hunh?
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bruce777

Most excellent. Please update us on the outcome. Hip Hip...Hooray. I want one too.
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good! Both MJ units functioning fine for two days now, quality good, none of the problems some folks have encountered. Been fun tweaking the router with the new firmware, just scratched the surface, but love the idea of assigning static dhcp to the MAC addresses and boosting the output power...
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful thing...more power to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: