magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
International Dialing Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bbildman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: International Dialing Issues Reply with quote

Hello, 2 weeks ago, my account stopped allowing me to purchase IPP (International Minutes).

After doing the live chat they came up with no answer, other than to tell me they would give a report to the "Engineering Department" and get back to me via email. So far nothing.

The best we could come up with was that I tried to purchase more than 5 $10 IPP packages in a 30 day period, but could not tell me when I might purchase again. Now, on my subscription page, the "INTERNATIONAL DIALING" middle portion of the page is missing from my MagicJack App #s (MagicTalk). I tried to use a different credit card, but that also was not accepted by the IPP, I have received 4 refunds of $10.48 because the charges would not go through IPP...even though the credit card is bona-fide and good.

So...my problem is that I NEED INTERNATIONAL DIALING and cannot use the MJ, so what to do now.

Is there another way to use the MJ or MT without having to buy IPP from MJ??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Google
AdSense





PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Back to top
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: International Dialing Issues Reply with quote

bbildman wrote:

Is there another way to use the MJ or MT without having to buy IPP from MJ??


I have never used it for this and have no idea how the rates compare to MJ, but GoogleVoice offers international calling.

Would assume all you need to do is set up a free GoogleVoice account, activate it the normal way, purchase your credits and use GV with your MJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbildman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: International Dialing Issues Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bbildman wrote:

Is there another way to use the MJ or MT without having to buy IPP from MJ??


I have never used it for this and have no idea how the rates compare to MJ, but GoogleVoice offers international calling.

Would assume all you need to do is set up a free GoogleVoice account, activate it the normal way, purchase your credits and use GV with your MJ.


I've read somewhere on the internet that MJ doesn't work with GoogleVoice, but I may be misinformed.

Really what I want to do is use a calling card number and PIN, access number called from MJ and then dial international...but of course when asked the MJ people tell me that you cannot do that...and I simply think they are told to say that rather than it can't work. I see Noble.com has good rates and no connection/maintenance fees for a few of their cards.

Still the question remains, WHY can't I buy IPP minutes from MJ any longer...and WHY do they not tell me what has happened with that service.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: International Dialing Issues Reply with quote

bbildman wrote:

I've read somewhere on the internet that MJ doesn't work with GoogleVoice, but I may be misinformed.


You can't believe 95% of what you read on the internet. GV works fine with MJ, I use it all the time. I just have never used it to call internationally.

Edit: Google claims their rates are low. Here is a link to their rate page. Click on the "show all rates" link near the top for the full listing:

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en_US&currency=USD

An example is Germany landlines for .02 and mobiles for .10 per minute. Not sure how that compares to others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 673
Location: South FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no reason to use MJ for international calls and I was not happy with GV( for international calls ) either. Localphone.com is excellent, and you can purchase minutes with just 1 $.- .
BTW I often use with MJ my regular long distance company, Telna ( you have to sign up your MJ account with them as if it was a cell phone ) because
although they are expensive ( 3.8 c/min plus taxes to those countries I call ) they bill by the second which saves a lot, have excellent quality and regular post paid billing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I was not happy with GV( for international calls )


For informational purposes (or if I decide to call Tijuana to get the donkey show times), what about it didn't you like? The rates, call quality, or both?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luigi2008
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
There is absolutely no reason to use MJ for international calls and I was not happy with GV( for international calls ) either.
Localphone.com is excellent, and you can purchase minutes with just 1 $.- .
BTW I often use with MJ my regular long distance company, Telna ( you have to sign up your MJ account with them as if it was a cell phone ) because
although they are expensive ( 3.8 c/min plus taxes to those countries I call ) they bill by the second which saves a lot, have excellent quality and regular post paid billing.


I have been using MJ for international calls for years. The calls quality fluctuates. The rate is 2 cents a minutes. Localphone.com rate is apparently cheaper. Is there an additional fee for using credit card issued in the US?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbildman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: International Dialing Issues Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bbildman wrote:

I've read somewhere on the internet that MJ doesn't work with GoogleVoice, but I may be misinformed.


You can't believe 95% of what you read on the internet. GV works fine with MJ, I use it all the time. I just have never used it to call internationally.

Edit: Google claims their rates are low. Here is a link to their rate page. Click on the "show all rates" link near the top for the full listing:

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en_US&currency=USD

An example is Germany landlines for .02 and mobiles for .10 per minute. Not sure how that compares to others.


Well folks, I ended up signing up for Enjoy Prepaid Calling card, the Emerald one::

http://www.enjoyprepaid.com/rates-and-plans.html

And downloaded their PC2Phone App, use this for all my international calls, eliminating the MJ completely (except for USA call...free). I bought a $20 Emerald card...and the credit is now used by the PC2Phone app. It's really cool, the rates are good, SMS for nothing.

So I am"outta there" as far as using the IPP packages offered by MJ...they ended up losing my business for international dialing by being inefficient.

I still like the MJ App, I am currently in Spain and use it for all of my calls back to the US, at of course no charge.

(By the way, the Calling Card DOES work with MJ, call the access number and enter your pin...voila)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 673
Location: South FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For informational purposes (or if I decide to call Tijuana to get the donkey show times), what about it didn't you like? The rates, call quality, or both?




Both.
( Disclaimer: I never called the donkey show hotline in Tihuana, though. The experience there might be entirely different) Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 673
Location: South FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. Localphone.com rate is apparently cheaper. Is there an additional fee for using credit card issued in the US?

There is no fee, because you have a choice of 3 currencies. You simply choose USD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:

( Disclaimer: I never called the donkey show hotline in Tihuana, though. The experience there might be entirely different) Wink


Hotline? Who said anything about a hotline? I thought I would have to call a bar directly. Thanks for the tip. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2845
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
cell14 wrote:

( Disclaimer: I never called the donkey show hotline in Tihuana, though. The experience there might be entirely different) Wink


Hotline? Who said anything about a hotline? I thought I would have to call a bar directly. Thanks for the tip. Cool


Don't bother as I hear she has a HELL of an "ass" on her, or is that in her. I forget. Smile
_________________
Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Don't bother as I hear she has a HELL of an "ass" on her, or is that in her. I forget. Smile


As soon as I hit the enter button I knew I was going to regret posting that. So I apologize to those who are, have been or will be offended. But one last reply.

Technically, Joe, I think it's probably both. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2845
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone, somewhere, somehow, will ALWAYS be offended.. As my mom used to tell me, "heard about the 3 eggs?? "two" bad""

I am pretty sure our constitution has nothing in it about being offended..

Heck I was offended just typing this Smile
_________________
Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stellaalley
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: International Calling Reply with quote

Try some Prepaid Long Distance International Calling Service to call around the world with cheapest call rates as well as with excellent voice quality i am using a best and cheapest calling rates calling card services
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB Turbo Extended Edition © 2013, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.