magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Insufficient Flash Drive Space
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Insufficient Flash Drive Space Reply with quote

MagicJack's latest update takes up 65.3MB of drive space and this presents a problem with many folks running thin client, where flash drive memory space is small and keeps MJ from running.

I was inspired by tonyben's post.

These memory sticks or more correctly Disk on Keys (DOK) can be found very cheap these days. I have seen them given away at conference booths even.

Tonyben's method is great and allows the complete contents for the Users "My Documents" directory (including the mjusbsp where MagicJack stores it's files) to be relocated onto one of these cheap DOKs. While tonyben's method frees more space by relocating the entire "Documents and Settings" folder to the DOK; it does require registry edits and everything in the user's folder is relocated. If the DOK fails then this could be a problem since all of the data in the users "My Documents" folder would be lost and not just the MagicJack data.

The method I describe below simply places only the directory MJ uses on the DOK. The MJ directory updates can then be as large as your DOK. You don't need a very large DOK. MJ is currently only using the 65.3MB so even a 256 DOK would be almost four times as large as needed currently.

You can use a larger DOK if you like and also use the same DOK to install programs to instead of C:\Program Files and to keep other data on as well like perhaps the Portable Applications Suite. However all you need to do to solve the MJ space problem is described below.

First if it is running go to taskmanager and stop all magicjack processes (magicJack.exe and perhaps mjsetup.exe).

I downloaded the Junction Program from Sys Internals and had a go at it. The junction program has a small foot print and consumes about 147K of disk space itself. You'll need to place this some where on your path so the c:\ is a good place.

The first thing I ran into was that in order for Junction to work the DOK must be formatted NTFS. The standard format command only formats in FAT or FAT32. Fortunately HP provides a free format utility which can format the DOK as NTFS. The format utility consumes about 897KB of drive space but, you can install this on another computer and format the DOK before plugging it into the thin client if you choose.

I include a description and commands for those interested in knowing exactly is taking place. But if you just want to try this the easy I provided a simple procedure for accomplishing the task between the lines of equal marks below. (THE CRIB VERSION)

It is the files which are placed into MagicJack's folder (mjusbsp) which are growing with successive updates and therefore causing problems. Therefore in order to cope with this we need only to relocate that single folder. The advantages of only relocating the single folder are that no registry edits need to be performed and if the DOK get broken it is no big deal since only MagicJack's data would be lost and if it is missing MJ automatically rebuilds it the next time it is loaded. We will take advantage of that below.

First on the thin client lets open a command window. If you haven't already made the command prompt a shortcut you can find it as C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe (I drug this over to my desktop and created a shortcut there); but you can just double click it in the system32 folder to get it open.

Most folks will have MJ installed under the Administrator account in their thin clients; if not then you will need to substitute the username you have it installed to for Administrator in all of the following.

The MJ data folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp. It is this folder we want to map to a different location on the DOK.

While you can map this to any folder name you wish on the DOK for me it is most straight forward to simply duplicate the same folder structure path as that on the C: drive. My DOK shows up as D: in the "My Computer", if you have other devices using usb then your DOK drive may be a different letter and you will need to substitute your DOK's drive letter for D: below.

Next we will do two things. First create the container for our linked directory on the DOK. Second delete the contents of the magicJack directory on C: to free up drive space. Remember magicJack help instructions tell you to delete the mjusbsp directory to assist in the rebuilding of a failed magicJack. When MJ's update is run it will download and restore the contents of this directory. After Junction has performed it's magic; this restoring will actually take place on the D: drive container we created however so file space is no longer taken up on C: by the MJ files.

In the command window type the following:

md "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data"
del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q

Now it is time to create the symbolic link using Junction. Again assuming your setup use the Administrator account and that your DOK is D: (if not adjust the following accordingly).

In the command window type the following to create the symbolic link.

junction "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp" "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

Ok we should now have a symbolic link.

Next we need to remove the original C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp which is the signal for MJ to reload it the next time it runs.

rd "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

===============================================
THE CRIB VERSION

You can just copy the following code into a .bat file on your TC to have it perform all the Junction steps outlined above if your running MJ as Administrator and your DOK is D:. Or just click the link to use the make-junction.cmd file I already created for you and save it to your TC's C:\ directory and then double click on it. The .cmd file simply executes the commands for you. Remember you need to have already placed jucntion.exe from the download link above in the c:\ directory also and have a NTFS formatted DOK plugged in to the TC before executing the .cmd file.

make-junction.cmd

Code:
md "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data"
del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q
junction "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp" "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"
rd "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

Now commit your changes. Restart the TC. After the TC has reloaded you may have to run update to get MJ to reload it's data and restore it's files to our new sumbolicaly linked directory which it thinks is locasted on the C: drive but is now physically located on the DOK.. You can do that by opening the browser and going to http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe. Just select RUN. When that is finished commit the changes and reboot.

If your Magicjack doesn't start automatically this time then go to Control Panel and locate the larger of the MagicJack drives. Right click on it and select properties confirm that it is about 17MB. If it is then close out properties. Right click on the drive again and this time select format and FAT as the file system type. After the format is complete then run the update just like you did before. After update is complete MJ should start up; if not navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\in00000. There is a file there called setup.exe. Drag a sortcut of that file into your startup folder. Commit your changes and reboot.

===============================================

Any future changes MJ makes will be saved to the physical D: drive which should have plenty of room. If it ever fails you just need to run update procedure again on a new DOK. Junction's magic of creating the symbolic link will persist.

To undo all of this later just open a command window and type the following:

junction -d "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp". Then go through the update process above.

Last edited by VaHam on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 am; edited 10 times in total
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice VaHam! Thanks for the info. Very informative. I've been concerned as of late that at the current rate of updates MJ has been pushing, a 512M flash would not be big enough much longer. THIS solves that worry.....and one less worry is always good.

Smile

Excellent.
Dedicated MJ Thin Client: HP t5710 1.2GHz 1gF/512R, running MJ, MagicFeatures & TightVNC, 12-15 watts w/o monitor, roughly $1.25 per month electric cost
KMNugent52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Insufficient Flash Drive Space Reply with quote

VaHam,
First of all Kudos to Mark Russinovich, tonyben and yourself. This is brilliant in it's simplicity.

If I've read your post correctly... wouldn't the directory in the following quote have been already removed with the 'del' or 'rd commands?

VaHam wrote:
After update is complete MJ should start up; if not navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\in00000. There is a file there called setup.exe. Drag a sortcut of that file into your startup folder.

Perhaps, instruct the user to create the shortcut beforehand, just in case.

Would a shortcut to setup.exe in D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\in00000 work?

Again nice work.
-Kevin N
Diggs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Excellent info. This should be added to one of the stickies or stickied by itself.

Also, when needing to format the DOK to NTFS. Any Linux machine will do that, or Gparted Live (bootable CD) can be used -

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Insufficient Flash Drive Space Reply with quote

KMNugent52 wrote:
VaHam,
First of all Kudos to Mark Russinovich, tonyben and yourself. This is brilliant in it's simplicity.

If I've read your post correctly... wouldn't the directory in the following quote have been already removed with the 'del' or 'rd commands?

VaHam wrote:
After update is complete MJ should start up; if not navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\in00000. There is a file there called setup.exe. Drag a sortcut of that file into your startup folder.

Perhaps, instruct the user to create the shortcut beforehand, just in case.

Would a shortcut to setup.exe in D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\in00000 work?

Again nice work.
-Kevin N

The update will have rebuilt the mjusbsp directory so the file will have been recreated by MJ and it will appear to be in the same place it was before deleting it; but it is now located on the DOK physically. .
davrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone have an opinion whether it would be better to upgrade to 1G memory, or go this route?
KMNugent52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Insufficient Flash Drive Space Reply with quote

Hi VaHam
VaHam wrote:
The update will have rebuilt the mjusbsp directory so the file will have been recreated by MJ and it will appear to be in the same place it was before deleting it; but it is now located on the DOK physically. .

Perhaps this will become clearer to me after I give it a shot.

Thanks for your repaly.

-Kevin N
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Insufficient Flash Drive Space Reply with quote

KMNugent52 wrote:
Hi VaHam
VaHam wrote:

Perhaps this will become clearer to me after I give it a shot.

Thanks for your repaly.

-Kevin N

In the beginning of the post I mentioned that we would be taking advantage of MJ's procedure for rebuilding the mjusbsp directory and it files when it detects they are missing.

So that is what were doing here.

1) Before making the junction we delete the files in the mjusbsp directory to free the space they are occupying. We need to delete the files before creating the junction since we would not be able to access that space on C: after the junction takes place. We leave the empty directory so that the junction can be created because you cannot create a junction to a non existent directory; but it can be empty. And after the junction is created the directory can be deleted but the junction persists.

2) We create the junction between the two empty directories.

3) We delete the C: mjusbsp directory. This is the part which takes advantage of MJ's automatically rebuilding this directory if MJ finds it is missing. The reason we remove the directory after creating the junction is to trigger MJ to rebuild it. But since we have created the junction, before this happens, when MJ rebuilds it's directory the data gets physically stored on the DOK because of the junction.

So your right we delete the file but MJ restores it later before we might need it.

Trust me it hurt my head a little working this out too Smile
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

I have a WYSE 9450SE that I am trying to allow to use a DOK to free up space for MagicJack.

I formatted a 2 GB DOK to NTFS. I then followed the instructions and created the .bat file and ran it. The .bat file created the directory structure on the 2 GB HP DOK, but no files were installed there. Something is missing. By the way, the WYSE thin client can only format drives in FAT32, so I formatted the DOK to NTFS in a WIN7 machine.

I suspect the problem is that the Flash Drive on the WYSE may be FAT32 and the Junction program does not work to create the Junction to the DOK because of that. Any suggestions? Will the Junction program work in a FAT32 environment?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

windeguy wrote:
I have a WYSE 9450SE that I am trying to allow to use a DOK to free up space for MagicJack.

I formatted a 2 GB DOK to NTFS. I then followed the instructions and created the .bat file and ran it. The .bat file created the directory structure on the 2 GB HP DOK, but no files were installed there. Something is missing. By the way, the WYSE thin client can only format drives in FAT32, so I formatted the DOK to NTFS in a WIN7 machine.

I suspect the problem is that the Flash Drive on the WYSE may be FAT32 and the Junction program does not work to create the Junction to the DOK because of that. Any suggestions? Will the Junction program work in a FAT32 environment?

Sorry for the slow response I tend to forget to check the stickies.

Did you run the http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe?
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:

During the course of getting MJ actually running on the WYSE, I did many things, and I am pretty certain the upgrade was one of them. MJ does run right now. Do you think I should try the upgrade again? And will that really have anything to do with having the WYSE work with the USB devices? I would hate to take a step backwards.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:

During the course of getting MJ actually running on the WYSE, I did many things, and I am pretty certain the upgrade was one of them. MJ does run right now. Do you think I should try the upgrade again? And will that really have anything to do with having the WYSE work with the USB devices? I would hate to take a step backwards.

If it ain't broke don't fix it Smile

You siad there was nothing on the DOK so I wondered if you had run the update after making changes as I outlined?
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:

You siad there was nothing on the DOK so I wondered if you had run the update after making changes as I outlined?

I am quite certain I ran the update, otherwise I don't believe I would have even had the directory structure created on the DOK.

At this point I will need some help after I get some parts next month on the slow boat from China. I want to replace the 256 flash memory with a 512 MB flash memory "hard drive". How difficult will it be to get the drive image from the 256 MB drive over to the larger 512 MB drive? Thank for any help on that.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:

I am quite certain I ran the update, otherwise I don't believe I would have even had the directory structure created on the DOK.

At this point I will need some help after I get some parts next month on the slow boat from China. I want to replace the 256 flash memory with a 512 MB flash memory "hard drive". How difficult will it be to get the drive image from the 256 MB drive over to the larger 512 MB drive? Thank for any help on that.

The instructions for flashing are fairly well documented in the stickies. Flash from china? What are you planning to use. I would have just ordered a Transcend module for that.

The directory structure on the DOK is created by the command line syntax or batch commands whichever you used.

Sure be glad to help in any event!
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having trouble at the junction command.

I get an error stating
Error creating C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I noticed that when I do the following
and then check it out, all the folder and files are still there. I must be doing something stupid, but can't figure out what. I am loged on as Administrator and that is the account where MJ is installed.

Some points of question:
1. In the orginal sticky by VaHam (Great info by the way, thanks VaHam and tonyben), I interperted You'll need to place this some where on your path so the C:\ is a good place.
to mean that it was advised to put the junction folder here C:\ (junction folder location).

2. I did not have a fully installed version of the MJ software since I tried it on a 256 flash/512 Ram setup. It never completly installed, but I stoped actions in the task manager as advised in the original sticky post.

3. I think my t5710 came off the junk pile. It works, but has had unusual problems all along the way. I have been able to overcome many by reading material here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: