magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Install XPe on a Thin Client for use with mJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Install XPe on a Thin Client for use with mJ Reply with quote

I have my new, wireless HP Neoware e90 256/128 (Linux), have added 1gb of ram I had laying around and am waiting for my Transcend 1gb Flash ROM from memory.com to arrive. I downloaded the 1gb version of Windows XPe for Neoware e90 from HP and saved it to a folder.

Being new to thin clients, I'm having trouble knowing what to do next. I want to use a USB flash drive to install the XPe on the e90. I referred the the sticky thread "Thin Client and Magic Jack", but I guess it needs to be "dumbed down" for me. It sounds fairly easy, but do I want to prepare and configure, with all the goodies, XPe on my PC first before saving on the USB flash drive?

Where do I begin? What is the best way to properly prepare and install XPe using a USB flash drive and make the USB flash drive bootable?
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Install XPe on a Thin Client for use with mJ Reply with quote

flybeech wrote:
I want to use a USB flash drive to install the XPe on the e90. I referred the the sticky thread "Thin Client and Magic Jack", but I guess it needs to be "dumbed down" for me. It sounds fairly easy, but do I want to prepare and configure, with all the goodies, XPe on my PC first before saving on the USB flash drive?

XPe is a modular version of XP. It comes with most functions by default and you can remove functions (e.g., media player) or add functions (e.g., ability to connect scanner or webcam). For your Neoware e90, the download site is http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3638813&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3638812&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058 Use the downloads here and the instructions in JeepsterGuy's Dummy's guide for step by step instructions.

You don't have to do any set-up or preparation on your PC first. You load the whole XPe image onto the e90. In fact, you can't change the image that you put onto your USB drive before loading onto the e90. You do the set-up and customizations on the e90.

For making the USB drive bootable, again consult the Dummy's guide in these forums (search for spelling of "dummies")

So, install the XPe image to the e90, then you can take off applications you don't need/want and add those you want. With 1GB flash, you'll have lots of room. I'm working with 512 MB flash. I can free up maybe 20 MB (a guess) by taking off applications but with 1GB, I wouldn't worry about it removing applications just to free up space at first.

My experience is you'll have to start from scratch and re-load XPe several times until you get the TC set up just the way you want. After a few iterations, you can do a fresh re-load in 20 minutes with most of that time waiting for the TC to do its thing. When you get proficient, then you can experiment with taking off un-needed applications.

My suggestion is
1. Load the default XPe onto the e90
2. Read JeepsterGuy's step by step and add any needed applications to run MJ
3. Plug in MJ and get it working.
4. Only then play around with setting up the e90 the way you want (add another browser, change the desktop picture, add other applications

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Tony, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Your post and your reference to JeepsterGuy's Dummies Guide http://phoneservicesupport.com/dummies-guide-configure-an-hp-t5700-for-mj-using-xpe-w-sp2-t3605.html saved the day. I am beginning to feel more confident that I can exploit the most from my thin client and mJ. After work, I will read the Dummies thread in detail and prepare for my 1gb module to arrive.

I want to make my thin client as flexible as possible, installing magicJack as a service, including Stroth's handy utility and magicBlock, as well as having it as a spare internet appliance. I'm hoping I can exploit the wireless capability my my e90, making it a convenient device I can move from one one location to another that will just plug and play.

I still know only enough to be dangerous, but now, thanks to you guys, I think my learning-curve will be picking up.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flybeech wrote:
I want to make my thin client as flexible as possible, installing magicJack as a service, including Stroth's handy utility and magicBlock, as well as having it as a spare internet appliance. I'm hoping I can exploit the wireless capability my my e90, making it a convenient device I can move from one one location to another that will just plug and play.

Great. You'll find the TC is pretty versatile. The one weak link for MJ might be the wireless. People have reported better call quality when the TC is wired directly to the router. However I've had acceptable call quality when travelling and using the shared wifi in hotels.

Good luck!
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Neoware e90 256/128 Linux, purchased new in a sealed box from eBay for $32. I have since installed a 1gb SODIMM that I had laying around, ordered and received a 1gb Transcend 44 pin horizontal DOM from memory.com, for about $25, delivered. I have installed the memory and the Neoware has recognized all the memory upgrades just fine. I reset the bios to boot to the USB device and followed the jeepsterguy's Dummy's guide as closely as I could, but for some reason, I am absolutely stuck. I know the Neoware is operable, because I can simply re-install the 128mb DOM and it boots Linux just fine.

I followed jeepsterguy's excellent instructions (for a t5700), creating a USB thumb drive a bootable USB DOK device using a Sandisk Cruzer micro 2gb USB flash drive, after uninstalling the junk U3 partition, from the page titled "How to Create a bootable USB Memory Key" http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm and downloaded the Microsoft Windows XPe for the 1gb on the HP support page here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodNameId=3638813&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3638812&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058

The Neoware just keeps telling me "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". Nothing I can do seems to help. One difference I have noted is that the XPe for Neoware does not seem the have the option asking me what kind of ISO Image I want to create. I thought at least I could get to a DOS prompt by just inserting the USB flash drive after creating a bootable USB memory key. I checked the bios and repeated the steps many times.

I know that a dummy like me should have just bought a magicJack ready HP t57xx, but I always do things the hard way and I really want to use this cool looking Neoware. Others have made the e 90 work and I will, too, even if the hours I spend far exceeds what a mJ ready TC would have cost.

How in the world am I gonna get an XPe image on my new, Transcend 1gb SSD?
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for grins, I've posted some pictures of the Neoware e90, including the insides here. http://flexy.net/neoware.html
allroy1975
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck on this. It's not really for MagicJack but you guys are one of the better forums I've found for messing with these thing clients.

I have an e90 with 256mb of memory and it originally had a 128mb DOM with WinCE5 on it. I just bought a 512mb DOM and I'm trying to get a WinXPe image to run on it.

I've tried following the JeepsterGuy guide and when I boot the thin client off the thumb drive it says that the program has to be run from a hewlett-packard machine. grr. I've also tried using these utilities:
http://temp.skasselcom.officelive.com/Neoware.aspx

I've actually had more luck with these. I'm able to Pull the old WindowsCE image and put it on my new 512 disk and boot it, but any of the image files I've downloaded from HP just die. the 512 images just hang on verifying DMI pool data and when I tried the 256 version it says "verifying DMI pool data" and then wigs out with a bunch of red and blue blocks scattered around the screen...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there some kind of bios update I need (and can't find...I've looked) to make the Neoware e90 know that it was bought by HP and it's okay to run this software?

I'm stuck and frustrated. I've been doing this for 2 days and getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: