magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inbound CID ...Possible fix.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmays03
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out my problem with the caller id was my cordless phone. I tried a different phone and it works fine.
i was thinking about trying your fix but wanted to try a new phone first. I really dont like the phone I was using anyway.
ikeandcj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've tried everyway I can on the resistor fix and I end up with the same result.
I can make calls, but I can't recieve any calls. When the MJ number is called it disconnects after 1 ring.
I've read and re-read the fix but, I have to be missing something.
I'm trying to do a whole house fix..I've put it in the coupler, I've cut 4 inches off a phone line and used a 1 into 2 jack, and I've put it in the box outside.
I'm going across the green and red wires right????
Any help please!!!!!!!
snafu2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it disconnect with nothing plugged into the mj phone jack? If it does, I would suspect a bad mj. If it does not disconnect, I would try adding one phone at a time and testing with each addition. If you have added the 100,000 ohm resistor, I would verify that it is the correct value. Too low a resistance could also cause your problem. Good luck.
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey snafu2. I know that you say to use a 100k resistor & this might be a really dumb question...but, does the tolerance rating on the resistor matter?...Thanx in advance! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snafu2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The value is not critical. I would guess anywhere between 90k and 120k would be alright.
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought...Cool...Thanks for the info...You are truly "Da Man" for figuring this out Very Happy Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really get why we need the resistor though... can anyone explain?
Thanks
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
snafu2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK kumar, this my take on the CID issue.

Ideally, from a DC standpoint, one would want a telephone device to look like an open circuit to the line. This would allow an infinite number of devices in parallel without swamping the line to the point of drawing dial tone...off hook condition. One would normally want to avoid low resistance across any device connected to the phone line.

In the real world you can get by with a little resistance if it is well above the point of drawing dial tone. CID information in the form of data pulses can be distorted by capacitance of some phone devices and by long phone lines. If the CID circuitry is not designed to handle this, errors occur preventing proper CID display. The resistor dampens the voltage overshoots caused by the capacity, thus making it easer for CID decoding.

Hopefully, MJ has corrected this in the units the are now shipping.

I am probably totally wrong about all of the above, but this is IMHO what's going on.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah hah.. Thanks
peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another satisfied user of the 100k-Ohm resister fix!!!!

Some additional help for those wanting to try this fix...

I used a 100k-Ohm Resistor (1/4 watt 5% tolerance) from Radio Shack. The catalog number is 271-1347. You get a package of 5 for 99 cents.

Instead of sodering, I used a surface-mount telephone jack that has two places to plug in a phone. I connected each of the 2 red wires and one lead from the resistor under one screw and the 2 green wires and the other end of the reisistor under another screw. Then I run a phone cord from my magicJack to one port on this phone jack and then run another cord from the other port on this jack to my phone.
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trailblazer. I hate soldering...Did you get that surface mount telephone jack from Radio Shack also?...If so, do you have the catalogue number on that also? I got the 5 pack of resistors already. The same as you 5% tolerance from Radio Shack. Any info that you can give me on the surface mount phone jack would be appreciated...Thanx! Very Happy
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Another good solderless fix Reply with quote

Hey people! I was checking out some other threads on this site & found another solderless version of snafu2's 100k ohm resistor fix. For those of you that hate soldering small parts like me....Here is the link Shocked

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/inbound-cid-solderless-fix-t1096.html
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeyg61, No, it doesn't appear Radio Shack sells a 'double' surface mount jack. I just happend to have one laying around and not sure the best place to find one. I also like the fix where you place the resistor inside of the small modular plug!
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please...don't credit me with the idea of placing the resistor inside the small modular plug...I just happened to find it in another thread & figured I'd link it to here. It sounds like a good idea to me. It was actually posted by an MJ reseller. He found that snafu2's idea worked pretty good & was looking for a cheap & easy way to resolve the Caller ID problem. So, he or she came up with that idea & says that it works well. Thanx for responding... Very Happy
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well...I guess that Caller ID & Call Waiting don't work with the Intel Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz. Core 2 Duo. Although MJ tech support claims it does. They told me it was a USB power issue & told me to try a powered Hub. I tried 2 different Powered Hubs. The one that's built into my NewerTech V2 back up drive with 3 USB 2.0 & 3 FireWire 400 ports. The whole unit is supplied by AC power. I also tried my Belkin 7 port Powered USB Hub. Still no go. I tried trailblazer's version of the 100 ohm resistor trick & still doesn't work. I hook up the same MJ with the same phone cord & same phone to my mom's HP Windows XP computer. Both Caller ID & Call Waiting work without the use of a Powered USB Hub or Resistor setup. All 6 USB ports work with her computer, including the 2 in the front & 4 in the rear. I tried all ports on the Mac Mini & Powered Hubs but, still no go...Anyone have any ideas? I am using OS X 105.2 Leopard...Thanx Question Rolling Eyes Shocked
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah..btw...I forgot to add that the Caller ID DOES display on my monitor but, not the phone. No Call Waiting. Hooks me up straight to my VoiceMail when on the phone with someone else & I call my MJ number with my cell phone or house phone. Phone makes & receive calls just great! The light on the base of the cordless phone flashes when it rings. Caller ID & Waiting work as normal on the phone when I connect to my mother's HP Windows XP computer without any other aid or help. I use the same phone, MJ, & cord I'm using on the Mac. I did add an extra short phone cord when I tried the Resistor trick...I am also on Wireless on the Mac. I don't use the Built in Airport though. I have that shut off & am using a Belkin Wireless Ethernet Bridge. I find it gets a better range & I can move it if I happen to experience problems, which hasn't happened yet. I always get a good & fast connection. Other that the CID & CW, the MJ works great!...Again...Any ideas???...Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 1 Gig of RAM...OS X Leopard 10.5.2...Thanx Again...sorry for the second posting...I wanted to add some info.... Razz Question Question Question
redram38
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about this fix. I have the resistors and coupler but did you use a special tool to get the insulation off the red and green wires before you attach the resistor
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the wire stripper, cutting into the wire's outer jacket and carefully separating the cut just enough to reveal the wire inside, ready for the solder connection. You could also use the hot tip of the solder iron to melt away the wire's outer jacket. whatever method appeals to you Smile
redram38
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx I will try the latter first
redram38
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is my result. I soldered the red and green wires to both ends of the resister and I do get caller ID to work, however everyother call I make to the magic jack phone gets a fax machine squeel. I hang up and call again and it works, hang up call again, fax squeel. What do you think could be the cause of this.

I have the magic jack to the coupler to the phone line into the wall jack. I wonder if that makes a diff. I am not going straight into the phone, but through a wall jack.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redram38 wrote:
Ok here is my result. I soldered the red and green wires to both ends of the resister and I do get caller ID to work, however everyother call I make to the magic jack phone gets a fax machine squeel. I hang up and call again and it works, hang up call again, fax squeel. What do you think could be the cause of this.

I have the magic jack to the coupler to the phone line into the wall jack. I wonder if that makes a diff. I am not going straight into the phone, but through a wall jack.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here Rolling Eyes you meant squeal? Laughing
What's a fax squeal? As if you're calling a fax machine and the fax machine answers?

If so, do you have a fax machine connected to your home telephone line? Since you connect MJ --> wall jack, did you disconnect the old phone service wiring at the main telephone junction box?
redram38
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have comcast digital voice. I unplugged the phone line from the modem so the Comcast Digital Voice is no longer active. I tried the wall jack that Comcast used to run the phone line to the modem and it worked as did all the phone jacks in the house. Now I am using a phone jack that is next to the computer that I have the Magic Jack hooked to. I do not have a fax machine hooked up, and yes it is the sound you hear when a fax machine answers a call. I will try it bypassing the wall jack and just hook into the phone and see what happens. Oh and if I wait about 20 seconds and call the number it does not make the fax noise. It only does it if I redial the number right away. And it only does it everyother time. Call 1 is ok, call 2 fax noise, call 3 ok and so on
Thx for the help
redram38
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the trouble happens when I go through the wall jack and not directly into the phone from the magic jack. I tried that was and it works fine. Caller Id is now working. My only problem is now Tivo cannot dial out.

Thx again for all the help
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the fax squeal sound is from your Tivo trying to answer the phone or it was trying to make an outgoing call at the same time of your incoming test call? Try to unplug Tivo from the wall jack and try your call again.
solderman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having trouble with the CID on my house long wired multi-phone setup, and the 100k-Ohm resister fix works fine for me.

I was just wondering if anyone was having any problems or side effects with the call quality from a resister across the lines that way?

I haven't had any problems with mine so far.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem for me for the past 4+ months Smile
nemfo
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: 100k mod worked Reply with quote

works great thanks.... I moded a dsl filter
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing is far from perfect but it's improving more all the time. I figure by this time next year it should sound every bit as good as a Tijuana tele or maybe as clear as a Virgin mobile cell phone-lol-seriously, Dans crew is working hard to get this phone working right all the time. I have faith in the guy. His pride and tons of money are on the line.
BigRick
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was created on "Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:01 pm", MJ has known of this fix for how long?
Kind of pisses me off that I bought the MJ about 3 weeks ago with this problem still existing!
Not to mention the phone no longer even rings on incoming calls.

MJ, some quality advice, The Seven P's!

Prior Propper Planning Prevents a Piss Poor Product!

Twisted Evil
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ needs to fix this issue in some way other than simply adding a 100K Resistor to the product. In one of my posts in the topic http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/using-mj-w-xlink-cell-ph-dockng-station-fix-for-ren-limit-t698.html I mention how me having the 100K resistor across the line "broke" my xLink device. Removing the resistor made things work again.

BigRick, you may want to consider getting an xLink since it may fix both your CID and ringer issues, not to mention the convenience of also being able to answer your cell phone calls on the same phone you use with your magicJack.
quetzal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote

Thanks a billion! It took me about 10 minutes to make the coupler...works like a charm! Laughing
vipadawg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, i recently have started using the magicjack after switching from vonage, and I haven't been having a lot of luck with incoming Caller ID.

currently, I have my MJ plugged directly into my Sony Vaio Desktop, and then have a Panasonic 3 handset phone hooked up to that directly from the magicjack, and so far, everything has been workin' well (other than incoming CID). The caller ID sometimes shows up, but maybe 5% of the time. So I wanted to know if someone can put up the required tools and objects I would need as well as some step by step instructions as to what needs to be done, b/c I really like having caller ID. Thanks!
quetzal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the first page of this topic, vipadawg, it's all there including a picture of the finished product (thanks again) Cost to make...1.99 for way too many resistors and about the same for the phone coupler (thanks, Fry's). Had to buy a soldering iron for 6 bucks too. So for under 10 dollars and about 10 minutes, I had CID working. Now, it does NOT pick up the names..just the numbers. If you put contacts into the soft phone with names and numbers it WILL pick those up...maybe that will be upgraded at some point. Still need to play with making MJ a service since my wife and I constatly change out screens.
vipadawg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quetzal wrote:
Check the first page of this topic, vipadawg, it's all there including a picture of the finished product (thanks again) Cost to make...1.99 for way too many resistors and about the same for the phone coupler (thanks, Fry's). Had to buy a soldering iron for 6 bucks too. So for under 10 dollars and about 10 minutes, I had CID working. Now, it does NOT pick up the names..just the numbers. If you put contacts into the soft phone with names and numbers it WILL pick those up...maybe that will be upgraded at some point. Still need to play with making MJ a service since my wife and I constatly change out screens.

okay, so I will need that resistor, a phone coupler, and a soldering iron. i was trying to figure out the solderless method, but I couldn't figure that out, can anyone clarify? I guess I'll head to radio shack to see if I can pick these things up. thanks.
lymon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipadawg wrote:

okay, so I will need that resistor, a phone coupler, and a soldering iron. i was trying to figure out the solderless method, but I couldn't figure that out, can anyone clarify? I guess I'll head to radio shack to see if I can pick these things up. thanks.

Depending on the length of the leads of the resistor there are several ways to do it w/o solder, if you have the right kind of connector. All you have to do is "short" the two active jack wires with the resistor. I have a several year old dollar store connector with screw terminals that would lend itself nicely to this application if the resistor leads are long enough.

Bottom line though, is do not fear the solder. Soldering irons are cheap enough, and while it takes a little time to perfect your technique, with a little practice you will be OK. I've always been an exponent of the "bigger the gob, the better the job" school of soldering Wink and most of my soldering projects turn out OK.
lymon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After perusing this thread, I learned that disconnecting a laptop from it's AC adapter can cause the CID to start working, as is the case in my situation, but didn't see any explanation as to why this might be. I am going to try the resistor solution as soon as I can get to Radio Shack, but I am curious as to why unplugging the adapter works??
raidakaoz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
Here's the picture of my 100K resistor mod in a standard phone jack coupler (MagicJack <---> Coupler <---> Telephone):

Note: if you perform this mod, don't forget to use electrical tape to cover the resistor's exposed wires to prevent short Smile

I tried it just like this and my phone dont ring anymore and the cid still dont work ;/
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I did was plug in, one of my old dsl filters(magicjack>dsl filter>cordless phone), and my CID started working. Weird.
vipadawg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so I finally had time to goto radioshack today and pick up some resistors, got a pack of 5 for 99 cents. anyways, i wasn't sure about the coupler, so i decided to bypass it completely, and just cut a phone wire in half, strip the ends, and then just take the resistor and wrap the ends around it, essentially doing what the coupler does, but just in line, and walah, incoming CID now works! thanks for the info and the fix! you guys are great!
nilob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: caller id fix Reply with quote

i tried your fix and it worked great thanks
MyOwnMJ
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my mj in the mail yesterday. At night, I went ahead and performed the fix by soldering a coupler. Works great! Thanks.
rexlan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponithog wrote:
Likemagic

Does it matter the type of 100K resistor, I am looking at 1/4 or 1/2 watt choices and I wanted to make sure I get the correct one.

Does it make a difference?

Thanks

Ponti

NO ... any will work
hecktic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to test out my main phone (digital with CID display) on MJ.... my MJ jack was delivered just recently... should I expect CID to not work unless I use this mod/fix ?
TheShanMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my magicjack a month or so ago and am having this problem. Will be trying the fix soon, and will report back on results, but I'm expecting success based on the high success rate I'm seeing in this thread! Thanks all!

Bummer about the CID name though. Sad
tinmantu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped into Radio Shack and picked up the resistor and went ahead and got the phone jack to save soldering...owner of the store said they didn't sell many resistors and was curious....asked him if he ever heard of Magic Jack....said he had his store linked up with one in the back....said he has had CID since day one (didn't ask what phones he was using). Came home and had CID up in running in 30 min. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea. Btw, CID worked vtech 5.8 phone right away, but I had to reboot before my Uniden 5.8 would show it.
Enforcer302
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: CID Reply with quote

Have not seen this mentioned. I am using CallStation by Imptec on my P.C. for my voicemail. Current Vonage user switching to MagicJack. I have not had any problems with caller I.D. in the past with Vonage. Switched to the MagicJack and now the software will not pickup the CID. However, the caller I.D will showup on everything else cordless phones, fax machine etc. Tried disconnecting everything else and just hooking up the MagicJack direct from USB port to P.C. Modem and still no caller I.D. on Call Station Software. I know it is just the modem not sensing the CID for some reason. Made sure all drivers were updated etc. Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.6 Ghz with 3GB Memory XP. Anyone tried the resistor fix for a P.C. modem CID fix?????
TheShanMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, worked like a charm.
TheShanMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CID Reply with quote

Enforcer302 wrote:
Have not seen this mentioned. I am using CallStation by Imptec on my P.C. for my voicemail. Current Vonage user switching to MagicJack. I have not had any problems with caller I.D. in the past with Vonage. Switched to the MagicJack and now the software will not pickup the CID. However, the caller I.D will showup on everything else cordless phones, fax machine etc. Tried disconnecting everything else and just hooking up the MagicJack direct from USB port to P.C. Modem and still no caller I.D. on Call Station Software. I know it is just the modem not sensing the CID for some reason. Made sure all drivers were updated etc. Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.6 Ghz with 3GB Memory XP. Anyone tried the resistor fix for a P.C. modem CID fix?????

I have PC CID to broadcast CID to my desktop systems, Squeezebox, and TiVo (YAC software), and after installing the 100k ohm resistor it is working. I believe I've seen it stated here that CID can be intermittent without the resistor (I actually was surprised to see a CID # in my phone's call log today before installing the resistor), so I suppose it's not too far fetched to think that some devices might be able to read the CID signals while others can't. So try out the resistor - I'd guess it will fix your problem.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
Got my magicjack a month or so ago and am having this problem. Will be trying the fix soon, and will report back on results, but I'm expecting success based on the high success rate I'm seeing in this thread! Thanks all!

Bummer about the CID name though. Sad

It will show the caller ID name if and only if you have it entered into your telephones phone book.

I have heard the are some carriers that send both name and number but it is also my understanding that some just send the number and expect your phone to pickup and add the name.
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these resistors soldered and ready to go that they would like to sell me?

Yeah my caller ID doesn't work all the time ( about 70% of the time it works), and I'm kinda lazy. So if anyone wants to sell me one that would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: