magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inbound CID ...Possible fix.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dleitch177
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Names on caller ID?

Been following the discussions on this thread and haven't seen this problem:

Have a MJ+ (no PC involved) wired into the whole house system. Caller ID works on incoming calls to all phones BUT there are no "names" appearing on the incoming calls, only the phone number repeated twice on the phone displays.

Before switching to the MJ+, Time Warner and ATT used to display incoming names on the phones, so I know the phones work properly. Numerous "chats" with MJ support reps for the past 3 weeks and they have no idea what's going on but turned it over to their technicians.

Anyone else missing the names on incoming calls? Any solutions found yet?

Dave in Columbus, OH
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes MJ caller ID does not display names.. This has been discussed here.
Of course you could purchase MagicFeatures which would give you Caller ID name PLUS a whole lot more, however you have to have your MJ Plus plugged into your USB port for it to work. http://www.pcphonesoft.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fightripoffs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject:

hey too bad that cant fix dropped calls too !
TechGuru
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject:

So if it's the audio ringing on the line causing the problem where is the ring audio file located? One should just be able to over write it with a blank no sound audio file.

But anyway, The 100K resistor worked for me, MJ plugged directly into a server running Win2K8 R2, and yes I have it running as a service (it's awesome).

My MJ is pretty old, I got it back when they first came out.
BILLY_KIDD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: MJ as a Service

Techguru, how did you get your mj running as a Service?
TechGuru
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ as a Service

BILLY_KIDD wrote:
Techguru, how did you get your mj running as a Service?

I followed these instructions:

http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/2008/01/running-magicjack-as-service.html
LessImpressed
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Inbound CID, possible fix

Wattage shouldn't matter. Since the range of resistance was 20k to 1m, the 100k is probably not critical enough to spend extra for the +/- 1% vs 10%. You can also buy shrink-tubing that will cover the soldered (don't just twist) connections and the body of the resistor.
The resistor dampens voltage transients on the phone lines.
Price would be my criterion on the resistor. Buy the cheapest combination that gives you 100,000 ohms, the largest wattage and accuracy numbers.
The +/- % meand that if you buy a 100k at 1% ir will be somewhere between 99k and 101k. A 10% is between 90k and 110k. From the sizing experiments above, the 10% should be fine.
I watched a design engineer once building a prototype printed circuit board. Every resistor, capacitor and inductor was adjustable. He tweaked them till the circuit worked, glued them in place, removed and measured them and then wrote the value on his circuit diagram. These cards were for IBM mainframes.
I also received three "engineering changes" for reliability in a "critical circuit".
The original resistor was 1 megohm. The first replacement was 500k. The second was 100k. The one that fixed the problem was 15k.
It was interesting to me that all four resistors were +/- 1% (the most expensive kind). The 15k resistor was 0.00000225% of the original.
DrSteve
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: 100K resist

yes, it works. Just tried it last night using a female/female coupler with 100k between red/green. Caller ID restored (on power source MJ (not usb driven))

Why majicjack does not add this to their devices is not understood, since this has been a problem for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: