magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I've tried everything and sound is still garbled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XandirVGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: I've tried everything and sound is still garbled Reply with quote

Okay so I've tried just about everything I could find out there and spent hours online with their "tech support" and still no luck. The sound is garbled on my end. The other person can here me crystal clear it's just on my end it stutters.

I'm running a desktop with XP a 2.8ghz processor and 1 gig ram. I use a pci card for my usb so I think that rules out power issues. I've gotten the same magicjack and phone combo to work on a laptop that runs on the same network so that rules out any router, connection, bad dongle, or phone incompatability problems. The problem is present both when using the phone and when using computer speakers so it's most likely some kind of settings conflict or something. I've set priorities with no success. I've tested my bandwidth several times and all is fine (15mbps dowload 6mbps upload). I've found and changed my proxy with still no results. I've updated my divx and sound card codecs and my router's firmware. Following tech supports instructions I essentially uninstalled and re-installed it half a dozen times. The laptop I got it to work on runs vista. Does MagicJack just not like XP anymore? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've already visited the wiki, but it doesn't tell me anything I haven't tried already. I've tried the xpsoundfix.exe on this site as well with no results. So yeah anything new to suggest? If you need any tech specs from me or anything just ask.

Thanks in advance.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I've tried everything and sound is still garbled Reply with quote

XandirVGA wrote:
I've already visited the wiki, but it doesn't tell me anything I haven't tried already.

It suggests that you post the results of your VoIP quality tests. Did you do that?

Mark
XandirVGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIP Speed test results:
Download Speed: 14.3 mbps
Upload speed: 4.35 mbps
Quality of service: 93%
Jitter: 2.8ms
Packet loss: 0.0%
MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 14313928 bps
Upload speed: 3454952 bps
Quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 32 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 54 ms
Average round trip time to server: 57 ms

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: off
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: off
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Number of supported VoIP lines: 58
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

link to detailed analysis:
http://www.voipreview.org:81/myspeed/db/report?id=256167

The test shows that everything here is fine.
linny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Garbled sound Reply with quote

I use a stand alone laptop with MJ on it only. Sound diasabled, no anti virus running, no windows update, just a screen saver and then the monitor shuts off. Everything else is running 24/7. Also my dsl is 768 up/384 down by AT&T. So far so good. We even use a headset on the phone with no problem. The phone is a Uniden TRU 5.8ghz
tellmeall
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Garbled sound Reply with quote

Funny anyone else i call the the sound quality on my side is garbled up. However, when i call this number 512-646-5000 the quality is spectacular. Could it have something to do with the phone system one connects to?
WarlockWeary
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Play with the audio settings on the advanced menu. They should be only 1/3 of the way up but you might need to adjust them for your particular setup.

2) Try disconnecting the phone from the MJ and making calls from the softphone using a headset or just a microphone. Try it and see if there is any difference.

3) Try using another phone? If you scan this forum you'll see that users have had a large variety of success/failure with various phones. Some cordless phones work great and some don't work at all. Most corded phones work w/o any problems. If you're using a cordless phone, try swapping to a corded phone and see if that makes a difference. Also if you have another cordless phone (different make/model) you might try that too.

4) Update Your Softwear: http://www.magicjack.com/2/magicfix.asp

5) Try disabling the power management feature in each of the USB root hubs on your computer. For Windows XP go into the device manager for hardware and find the USB controller and hit the + sign to expand the listing. Under each USB root hub right click and pull up properties...Find the power management option and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Again make sure you do this for each of the USB root hubs listed.

6) Try a POWERED USB HUB. ( Sometimes this helps )

7) Disable Microsoft Defender ( Seems to work for some )

8) Do Not Use The Crappy USB Extension Cord That Came With MagicJack!

1) Open Ports on your router ?
2) Open Ports In Windows Firewall ?
3) magicJack uses port 5060 and 5070 UDP.

1) A quality high-speed Internet connection will ensure a clear voice quality.
( Test it at: http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/ )
If you are experiencing an audio issue not related to your Internet connection:
Please try connecting your magicJack to a different USB port and try again

2) If that does not work:
Please turn of your modem and router (if you are using one) for 3 minutes. Then turn them back on again. Now unplug your magicJack and plug back it back in. After it starts up again, try to make a phone call.

3) If that does not work:
Please try using a different phone with your magicJack ( Corded Phone ) Not Wireless

4) If that does not work:
Right click on My Computer
Click Properties
Click the Advanced Tab
Under Performance, click Settings
Click the Advanced tab
Under Processor Scheduling, check the round button called Background Services
Click Apply
Click OK
Click OK again.
Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

5) If that does not work:
Please make sure that you have a good Ethernet cable connected from either your router/modem to your computer or from your modem to your router. Although some low priced Ethernet cables can handle Internet connections without any issues, they might affect the quality of your phone calls.

6) If that does not work:
If you are using the optional USB cord, please try without it.

7) Goto device manager and Change Your Network Adapter Settings..

A) Advanced Options Change: No - Flow Control ( Disabled )
( Sometimes This Helps )

B) Also Change Your Network Adapter Power Settings : Un-Check ( Save Power )

Please try the following steps carefully:
1. Right click on "my computer" then select "Properties".
2. Click the "Advanced Tab"
3. You will see a something called "Performance" click on the "Settings" button there.
4. Now click the "Advanced" Tab in there as well.
5. Now you will see something called "Processor Scheduling". There check the round button called "Background Services"
6. Now click "Apply" and then "OK"
7. Click "OK" again.
Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

Please try the following steps carefully:
1. Click on Start tab, open your Control Panel and double click on Internet Options.
2. On Internet Properties window, click on Privacy tab, slide the bar down to "allow all cookies"
3. Under Security tab click on "trusted sites" then click the "sites" button
4. Uncheck the box at bottom left of window that says "require server verification..."
5. Type the following address into the text bar.. http://reg.talk4free.com click the "add" button.. Now type in the following address.. http://my.magicjack.com and click "add".
6. Unplug your magicJack and plug it back into a different usb port.

Please go to My computer and locate the drive named Vista Only, Phone, or removable disk (make sure it is the magicJack drive). Right click that drive, click format, and click start. Unplug magicJack, wait 15 seconds, and plug magicJack back in. You will need to download the magicJack upgrade again.
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

If None of the above works ...

Sounds Like you will have to email : Dan Borislow - Dan@magicjack.com
In the Subject use: I Need Help !
( Seems To Trigger a Auto Forward To Tech Support )
Tell Them you have tried everything on this list and then Ask to be moved to a better / Less used server!

Give it a try worked for me :)
kgm032
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: yep..tried all that Reply with quote

Yep,

Tried all that and nothing. I also loaded a Divx player.

Sent and email to Dan@majicjack.com. They now want me to "bypass my router and plug directlly into my modem" okay so I need a dedicated DSL line for MagicJack (might as well have a dedicated analog line) and disable my anti-virus software again okay, I am to leave my pc exposed to make a call. These both seem pretty drastic steps.

It is very frustrating...it worked fine for me until this last upgrade....nothing has changed on my end so it has to be something on theirs.

Trying to get my 5 year platnum plan money back to apply it towards a ooma.
maggie60
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone tell me if Ooma is better? All I get with MJ is static. I can hear, but people I call have trouble hearing me.

Thanks

maggie60 Question Question Sad
manual
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XandirVGA, same problem here that started a yesterday....others can hear me fine, but the incoming audio breaks up, stuttery, static. It has been fine for months till this. Using an Oklahoma City number.
svguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: People on the other end cannot hear me.... Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Finally get rid of the BEEPING problem and now this. Seems I get maybe 5-10 minutes of clear reception before the people on the other end start asking if I am driving and in a bad area. I have to scream I will call them back.

SOMETIMES calling them back works, other times not. The problem is getting worse not better. Magic Jack has bitten off more than they can chew and we're all suffering.

NEVER had this much difficulty with Vonage!! I guess you do get what you pay for..... Mad
maggie60
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi-

I spent hours and hours on line with tech support, no help, no matter who I call it sounds garbled. So I am sending it back and they have just emailed me that they are sending me a new MJ, I hope this one works or it will be sent back too.

maggie60 Question Very Happy
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to start for your problems is in the mj wiki http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack also do a detailed search in these forums. You may need to go back awhile but there are some excellent threads that have fixes for most of the problems. Other than the beeping problem my MJ had for a little while my calls have been great for over 6 months. I have read on here others are well over a year or more with good results. Also the more information you can give about your setup the easier it will be for others to help.
maggie60
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: need help with my MJ Reply with quote

hello-

I have a windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
It has an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU 6700 2.66 (GHz) 2CPUs , ~ 2.7 GHZ
Phoenix Award Bios v6.00PG
3070 MB Ram
Page File 1444MB used 4914 available
Direct X Version: Direct X 10
NVIDIA GEForce 8800 GTS
Approx Total Memory 1574
Current Display Mode 1280 X 1024 (32Bit) 60 Hz
Samsung SyncMaster Monitor
400 GB of Hard Drive 160 used

I hooked my Mj up to a USB in the front of my computer, which is a Velocity Micro Game Computer and is about two years old. I am using a new Uniden wireless phone with 5.8 GHz

I hope this information helps, I am waiting for my second MJ. If it still does not work I will send it back and look for something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

maggie60 Question Question Question Smile
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, try using a USB port in the REAR of the PC... Give it a try and see if it makes a difference ( it can).

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dreyeeek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing is happening to my aunt's magicjack in the philippines. Whether she calls or i call it is the same situation. It's crystal clear on her side but its garbled up on my end. tried using different phones but still nothing. I did try my spare magicjack and that worked perfectly fine.

I'm guessing this is a software issue and might be corrected thru another update? Has anybody else with this problem tried updating?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: