magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i am looking at a magicjack is it worth it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayway1981
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: i am looking at a magicjack is it worth it Reply with quote

i have a older computer amd 2500+ sempron 768ddr-ram roadrunner ping 106 upload 479 download 4740 kb's i am planed on using it as a backup to my cell phone that does not work well in the house.... for ordering pizza and light calling what is your take on the magicjack both good and bad

thanks wayway1981

Last edited by wayway1981 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. Just be sure to run several speed tests to find the smoothest stream then pick your phone number from there. (If not already local)
wayway1981
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are steams? are you taking ping range/ip number also can you get a number in canada like the "GTA" i have family up there so a local call for them would rock !? i am going to make the lap i guess i well order one on Friday when i get paid and deals on them or free shipping?
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read somewhere that if you chat with tech support, they can give you a coupon worth $2. It's not free, but it is $2.
omega10x
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayway1981 wrote:
what are steams? are you taking ping range/ip number also can you get a number in canada like the "GTA" i have family up there so a local call for them would rock !? i am going to make the lap i guess i well order one on Friday when i get paid and deals on them or free shipping?

unfortuatly, GTA is out of the picture at the moment, hopefully soon

what he is meaning by ping, you could also call lag,

an easy way to put it is
if you do a speed test on a MI Server, and get a faster speed than on a New York Server then take the MI number because you will have less lag(less echo, less delay, less trouble) but if you are lucky enough to have a local number option pick that, because that will be the likly be the closest server(less lag, quicker ping)
snssewell
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omega10x wrote:
wayway1981 wrote:

unfortuatly, GTA is out of the picture at the moment, hopefully soon

what he is meaning by ping, you could also call lag,

an easy way to put it is
if you do a speed test on a MI Server, and get a faster speed than on a New York Server then take the MI number because you will have less lag(less echo, less delay, less trouble) but if you are lucky enough to have a local number option pick that, because that will be the likly be the closest server(less lag, quicker ping)

Ok Question. So if I was to get my MJ tomorrow (I hope no later than Monday) will I be able to do the speed check on the MJ before picking my number? I am trying to get all the info I can before it gets here to make everything go smooth and I will be able to keep it without getting frustrated. Cause $20 a year sounds damn good to me with 2 Teenagers in the house!!!!! When I checked on the MJ website they do have Louisville Area Code available which is only 30-40 minutes from where I live. So that would be my best choice then? Or still test others? Appreciate any advice. Smile
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 of my magicJacks are using the Louisville, KY 502 area code and 713 prefix which is great with crystal clear audio. Insight is the broadband provider I use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
westbounder
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I live in an area that has a lot of verizon landline subscribers. Will magic jack issue me a local phone number so that people in my town can call me for free, I think they will give me my own area code, but that isn't good enough. It will still be a long distance call for people in my local area that are calling me because Magic Jack doesn't have local numbers in my town yet. If I take another phone number in my area code, will they issue me a free local number when they come available in my town?

2. I travel to the Philippines a lot, can I call back to anywhere in U.S. or Canada (any number) (cell phones included) for free anytime I want?

3. My girlfriend lives in the Philippines, how much will it cost me to call her cell phone from when I am here in the U.S.A.? She lives in Cebu Philippines if that matters.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westbounder wrote:
1. I live in an area that has a lot of verizon landline subscribers. Will magic jack issue me a local phone number so that people in my town can call me for free, I think they will give me my own area code, but that isn't good enough. It will still be a long distance call for people in my local area that are calling me because Magic Jack doesn't have local numbers in my town yet. If I take another phone number in my area code, will they issue me a free local number when they come available in my town? .
Where is your town? From your IP, perhaps Scranton? MJ is not offering there yet, but already own 2000 numbers in 570-851-xxxx, which should be available soon. When your area becomes available (or for any other reason), you can change your number once at no charge.
westbounder wrote:
2. I travel to the Philippines a lot, can I call back to anywhere in U.S. or Canada (any number) (cell phones included) for free anytime I want?
Yes, as long as you have a broadband connection there.
westbounder wrote:
3. My girlfriend lives in the Philippines, how much will it cost me to call her cell phone from when I am here in the U.S.A.? She lives in Cebu Philippines if that matters.
On MJ, 0.18/min. to a Philippines landline, 0.22 to cellular. Some other providers are less expensive; you could use them with a softphone or ATA. Examples: Future Nine, 0.113 landline; 0.131 cellular. Yahoo! Voice, 0.159 landline, 0.199 cellular. Or, if you'll be calling a lot, buy her a magicJack.
dildog
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
westbounder wrote:
1. I live in an area that has a lot of verizon landline subscribers. Will magic jack issue me a local phone number so that people in my town can call me for free, I think they will give me my own area code, but that isn't good enough. It will still be a long distance call for people in my local area that are calling me because Magic Jack doesn't have local numbers in my town yet. If I take another phone number in my area code, will they issue me a free local number when they come available in my town? .
Where is your town? From your IP, perhaps Scranton? MJ is not offering there yet, but already own 2000 numbers in 570-851-xxxx, which should be available soon. When your area becomes available (or for any other reason), you can change your number once at no charge.
westbounder wrote:
Yes, as long as you have a broadband connection there.
westbounder wrote:
On MJ, 0.18/min. to a Philippines landline, 0.22 to cellular. Some other providers are less expensive; you could use them with a softphone or ATA. Examples: Future Nine, 0.113 landline; 0.131 cellular. Yahoo! Voice, 0.159 landline, 0.199 cellular. Or, if you'll be calling a lot, buy her a magicJack.

MY question is this (I'm not trying to pick on YOU author) but why in the hell would anyone pay to make a sip call?

Alright, I will admit that I am from the MTV generation, so you can bet I am a bit bent. Yeah, the MTV gen, and I am seeing fifty in my headlamps. My MTV played music.

My point is this, I am reading a lot about people trying real hard to get cheap phone service, and yet they can't understand the only complications are dealing with those that are selling something that is already free.

Its about five years no since I have had to pay for a phone subscription of any kind. I know that this isn't for everyone, but if you use a computer then you can do this with a little education and an unwillingness to pay for your own ignorance. And its isn't going to be any harder than trying to make work what you are paying for.

dildog
kcowan
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dildog wrote:
Its about five years no since I have had to pay for a phone subscription of any kind. I know that this isn't for everyone, but if you use a computer then you can do this with a little education and an unwillingness to pay for your own ignorance. And its isn't going to be any harder than trying to make work what you are paying for. dildog

Maybe you should start a company and sell your knowledge?
maine-iac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIP calls are only free if you are calling someone who has a similar SIP service. If you want to end your call to a traditional telephone number, someone has to pay along the way somewhere.
Tim Me
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac wrote:
SIP calls are only free if you are calling someone who has a similar SIP service. If you want to end your call to a traditional telephone number, someone has to pay along the way somewhere.

Maybe he has a small circle of friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: