magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths: Excellent compilation and write up.

testing123
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

fuankn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using an 800mhz T5710 with my MJ for a couple of months. It's set up without monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I access it via remote desktop from another machine. The only problems with the setup are that it's slow, I have the 'callers can't hear me' problem and the nonfunctional phone dialpad for voice menus.

I decided to upgrade to a 1.2Ghz T5710 to speed up the remote access and get any advantages USB 2.0 might provide. What a pain! I hereby swear to never buy anything that uses ALi chipsets again!

I have a T5710 1.2Ghz with 512/512. I started by flashing it with a fresh image from HP. Got it set up and plugged in the MJ. The result was the famous BSOD. This thread got me past that problem. I successfully got the unit set up with MJ installed then unplugged the monitor, mouse, and keyboard and moved it to the shelf where the old one sat. When I turned it on I was informed that I had no audio device. Troubleshooting the problem I've narrowed it down to unplugging the monitor. The audio device stays present if I unplug the keyboard and/or the mouse. It immediately disappears when I unplug the monitor.

Does anybody have any idea how I might get around this problem?

Thanks for any help,
fuankn
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to make an image of one of my 5700's to flash into another 5700 since one of them seems to work fine since the stupid upgrade and the other isnt, however the instructions that Vaham gave seems to be missing a file here is were i got stuck at..

4) From a command window execute the following commands or run the batch file I created named prep4flash.bat which will execute these commands for you:
prep4flash.bat

ewfmgr.exe –commitanddisable –all
Net stop EwfStatusSvc
Rundll32.exe ewfdll.dll,EwfDeletePartitions
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

i cant seem to find any such file named prep4flash.bat and when i tried the commands instead the 3rd and i think the 4th ones didnt work.

any help in clarifying this or another way of making an image and flashing my TC 5700 256/256 would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
I have been trying to make an image of one of my 5700's to flash into another 5700 since one of them seems to work fine since the stupid upgrade and the other isnt, however the instructions that Vaham gave seems to be missing a file here is were i got stuck at..

4) From a command window execute the following commands or run the batch file I created named prep4flash.bat which will execute these commands for you:
prep4flash.bat

Net stop EwfStatusSvc
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

i cant seem to find any such file named prep4flash.bat and when i tried the commands instead the 3rd and i think the 4th ones didnt work.

any help in clarifying this or another way of making an image and flashing my TC 5700 256/256 would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

prep4flash.bat is a file that you create that should contain those commands. Also note that there are only 3 commands. The one you have listed on 4 is part of line 3.

It should be:
Rundll32.exe ewfdll.dll,EwfDeletePartitions -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

However, I didn't run these steps when I was creating my images, so they don't appear to be required.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stroths-

where do i create this file at is it created as a notepad or how exactly.. sorry for the noob questions.
lymon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
Thanks stroths-

where do i create this file at is it created as a notepad or how exactly.. sorry for the noob questions.

Not sroths by any stretch, but...

You should be able to create the file anywhere, my documents etc. Use notepad, one command per line. Save file as prep4flash.bat (files types = all). the name prep4flash is not so important, but the extension .bat identifies it as a batch file to the OS and when you click on it, the commands should all execute in sequence. Good luck.
jrd4849
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn stroths: I just had to jump in here and say "You're The Man!" I used your flash version 1.2 on my new 5710 1.2ghz, 1g/512. Worked like a champ. The only mod I made was to add the hosts file fix. I plugged the MJ in and it fired right up with no problems. I am also very impressed with TeamViewer. Just stick that TC over in a corner and forget about it. Great job.
Jim
gnowk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths,

how and where is the following done?

-Disabled power management for USB ports and network card to prevent them from powering down and disrupting MJ service

I only see the option to control when the monitor gets turned off under "Control Panel" => "Power Management Options".

Thanks.
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnowk wrote:
stroths,

how and where is the following done?

-Disabled power management for USB ports and network card to prevent them from powering down and disrupting MJ service

I only see the option to control when the monitor gets turned off under "Control Panel" => "Power Management Options".

Thanks.

Its in this thread under the Troubleshooting section (3rd post). Look at "Blue Screen upon plugging in MagicJack (instructions by HolmanGT)" and its near the end of his instructions. You can also apply the power management disable to the network card.
gnowk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Its in this thread under the Troubleshooting section (3rd post). Look at "Blue Screen upon plugging in MagicJack (instructions by HolmanGT)" and its near the end of his instructions. You can also apply the power management disable to the network card.

Excellent! I would have never spotted it since I have the old Magicjack w/o the BSOD problem.

Thanks Stroths!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:

prep4flash.bat

Net stop EwfStatusSvc

Thanks.

Not sure why you didn't find the prep4flash.bat file in the zip download. I just downloaded it myself and it is there in the folder "copy these to c: root".

However stroths comment about the 4 vs. three commands there did prompt me to find a mistake I had made. There was supposed to be four commands in the batch file prep4flash.bat as follows:

Net stop EwfStatusSvc
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0 /f

The last line I had there earlier is what could have been insterted into a .reg file in order to delete the registry key. To do that in a batch file we must use REG.EXE to do that for us; so the syntax above is the correct way to do this. Sorry for that mistake I actually had deleted the key in regedit myself and gave the wrong syntax for inclusion in a .bat file.

The reason for deleting the registry key is so that a new SID will be generated for it when efw is later enabled after copying the image back to the thin client. This at least for me made the little red cross circle over the ewf manager go away.

Anyway the first line simply commits any changes made and disables ewf.

The second line stops the ewf service.

The third line deletes the ewf partition.

And the fourth line removes the registry key.

The registry key will be recreated when ewf is enabled again later and generates a new Security Identifier (SID).

I have updated my post to reflect the corrected syntax and also placed an updated zip file at the link location so that anyone else will get the latest correct version.

I won't swear that this is necessary but it doesn't hurt!
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vaham i was never able to get it to work, but i will try it again following your modifications.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my HP t5720 to 1GB RAM. For anyone interested it runs much faster. I bought Kingston 1024MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz SODIMM RAM (Item No. K24-1530) for 49.99, plush shipping of $6.99 [total 56.98] from TigerDirect.com. It has a lifetime warranty. The maximum amount of RAM a 5720 will handle is 1GB. I thought there was a second slot but there's not. The stock RAM must be removed. Also, I thought I would be able to install it without removing the motherboard but it was too awkward to try to insert it in the slot without removing the board.
buckeye09
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: stroths t5700 1.2 flash Reply with quote

Thanks for this write up. For the most part it has been very easy to follow and has helped me a lot.

I am trying to install the 1.2 flash from page 1 and have a few questions:

1. Will this work on a t5720 w/ 1G flash/512 MB RAM?
2. Once all 5 parts are downloaded and unzipped, do I just copy the entire contents of the folders labeled "Copy to DOK" to my DOK or should I be copying specific files or folders?
3. Once the files are copied to the DOK, do I just boot from the USB or are there other steps (like those outlined in the post about Restoring Your Own Flash Image and typing restore at the c: prompt)?
4. I have downloaded the files from both Rapidshare and Megaupload, but when I go to copy the files from 7-zip to either my c: or my DOK I get an error message from 7-Zip Diagnostic Messages that says "CRC failed in 'stroths T5700_1.2\CopyToDOK\home\partimag\stroths-1.1\hda1.ntfs-img.aa'. File is broken"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroths, I'm in the process of upgrading my HP t5720 and I'm using your instructions to do it. I just ordered the 44-pin CF adapter and I'm considering which size CF to buy. At this point, it looks like I want to go with at least 16GB and I may go with 32GB. I also bought the nVidia Quadro NVS280 PCI 64MB DUAL Video Card on ebay for $20 to upgrade the graphics. Between upgraded graphics and upgraded CF, I should be able to install the full version of Windows XP. Though I'm not sure if I need to go with the full version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 3 of 20

Jump to: