magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths: Excellent compilation and write up.
fuankn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using an 800mhz T5710 with my MJ for a couple of months. It's set up without monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I access it via remote desktop from another machine. The only problems with the setup are that it's slow, I have the 'callers can't hear me' problem and the nonfunctional phone dialpad for voice menus.

I decided to upgrade to a 1.2Ghz T5710 to speed up the remote access and get any advantages USB 2.0 might provide. What a pain! I hereby swear to never buy anything that uses ALi chipsets again!

I have a T5710 1.2Ghz with 512/512. I started by flashing it with a fresh image from HP. Got it set up and plugged in the MJ. The result was the famous BSOD. This thread got me past that problem. I successfully got the unit set up with MJ installed then unplugged the monitor, mouse, and keyboard and moved it to the shelf where the old one sat. When I turned it on I was informed that I had no audio device. Troubleshooting the problem I've narrowed it down to unplugging the monitor. The audio device stays present if I unplug the keyboard and/or the mouse. It immediately disappears when I unplug the monitor.

Does anybody have any idea how I might get around this problem?

Thanks for any help,
fuankn
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to make an image of one of my 5700's to flash into another 5700 since one of them seems to work fine since the stupid upgrade and the other isnt, however the instructions that Vaham gave seems to be missing a file here is were i got stuck at..

4) From a command window execute the following commands or run the batch file I created named prep4flash.bat which will execute these commands for you:
prep4flash.bat

ewfmgr.exe �commitanddisable �all
Net stop EwfStatusSvc
Rundll32.exe ewfdll.dll,EwfDeletePartitions
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

i cant seem to find any such file named prep4flash.bat and when i tried the commands instead the 3rd and i think the 4th ones didnt work.

any help in clarifying this or another way of making an image and flashing my TC 5700 256/256 would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
I have been trying to make an image of one of my 5700's to flash into another 5700 since one of them seems to work fine since the stupid upgrade and the other isnt, however the instructions that Vaham gave seems to be missing a file here is were i got stuck at..

4) From a command window execute the following commands or run the batch file I created named prep4flash.bat which will execute these commands for you:
prep4flash.bat

Net stop EwfStatusSvc
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

i cant seem to find any such file named prep4flash.bat and when i tried the commands instead the 3rd and i think the 4th ones didnt work.

any help in clarifying this or another way of making an image and flashing my TC 5700 256/256 would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

prep4flash.bat is a file that you create that should contain those commands. Also note that there are only 3 commands. The one you have listed on 4 is part of line 3.

It should be:
Rundll32.exe ewfdll.dll,EwfDeletePartitions -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0

However, I didn't run these steps when I was creating my images, so they don't appear to be required.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stroths-

where do i create this file at is it created as a notepad or how exactly.. sorry for the noob questions.
lymon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
Thanks stroths-

where do i create this file at is it created as a notepad or how exactly.. sorry for the noob questions.

Not sroths by any stretch, but...

You should be able to create the file anywhere, my documents etc. Use notepad, one command per line. Save file as prep4flash.bat (files types = all). the name prep4flash is not so important, but the extension .bat identifies it as a batch file to the OS and when you click on it, the commands should all execute in sequence. Good luck.
jrd4849
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn stroths: I just had to jump in here and say "You're The Man!" I used your flash version 1.2 on my new 5710 1.2ghz, 1g/512. Worked like a champ. The only mod I made was to add the hosts file fix. I plugged the MJ in and it fired right up with no problems. I am also very impressed with TeamViewer. Just stick that TC over in a corner and forget about it. Great job.
Jim
gnowk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths,

how and where is the following done?

-Disabled power management for USB ports and network card to prevent them from powering down and disrupting MJ service

I only see the option to control when the monitor gets turned off under "Control Panel" => "Power Management Options".

Thanks.
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnowk wrote:
stroths,

how and where is the following done?

-Disabled power management for USB ports and network card to prevent them from powering down and disrupting MJ service

I only see the option to control when the monitor gets turned off under "Control Panel" => "Power Management Options".

Thanks.

Its in this thread under the Troubleshooting section (3rd post). Look at "Blue Screen upon plugging in MagicJack (instructions by HolmanGT)" and its near the end of his instructions. You can also apply the power management disable to the network card.
gnowk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Its in this thread under the Troubleshooting section (3rd post). Look at "Blue Screen upon plugging in MagicJack (instructions by HolmanGT)" and its near the end of his instructions. You can also apply the power management disable to the network card.

Excellent! I would have never spotted it since I have the old Magicjack w/o the BSOD problem.

Thanks Stroths!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:

prep4flash.bat

Net stop EwfStatusSvc

Thanks.

Not sure why you didn't find the prep4flash.bat file in the zip download. I just downloaded it myself and it is there in the folder "copy these to c: root".

However stroths comment about the 4 vs. three commands there did prompt me to find a mistake I had made. There was supposed to be four commands in the batch file prep4flash.bat as follows:

Net stop EwfStatusSvc
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\ewf\Parameters\protected\Volume0 /f

The last line I had there earlier is what could have been insterted into a .reg file in order to delete the registry key. To do that in a batch file we must use REG.EXE to do that for us; so the syntax above is the correct way to do this. Sorry for that mistake I actually had deleted the key in regedit myself and gave the wrong syntax for inclusion in a .bat file.

The reason for deleting the registry key is so that a new SID will be generated for it when efw is later enabled after copying the image back to the thin client. This at least for me made the little red cross circle over the ewf manager go away.

Anyway the first line simply commits any changes made and disables ewf.

The second line stops the ewf service.

The third line deletes the ewf partition.

And the fourth line removes the registry key.

The registry key will be recreated when ewf is enabled again later and generates a new Security Identifier (SID).

I have updated my post to reflect the corrected syntax and also placed an updated zip file at the link location so that anyone else will get the latest correct version.

I won't swear that this is necessary but it doesn't hurt!
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vaham i was never able to get it to work, but i will try it again following your modifications.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my HP t5720 to 1GB RAM. For anyone interested it runs much faster. I bought Kingston 1024MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz SODIMM RAM (Item No. K24-1530) for 49.99, plush shipping of $6.99 [total 56.98] from TigerDirect.com. It has a lifetime warranty. The maximum amount of RAM a 5720 will handle is 1GB. I thought there was a second slot but there's not. The stock RAM must be removed. Also, I thought I would be able to install it without removing the motherboard but it was too awkward to try to insert it in the slot without removing the board.
buckeye09
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: stroths t5700 1.2 flash Reply with quote

Thanks for this write up. For the most part it has been very easy to follow and has helped me a lot.

I am trying to install the 1.2 flash from page 1 and have a few questions:

1. Will this work on a t5720 w/ 1G flash/512 MB RAM?
2. Once all 5 parts are downloaded and unzipped, do I just copy the entire contents of the folders labeled "Copy to DOK" to my DOK or should I be copying specific files or folders?
3. Once the files are copied to the DOK, do I just boot from the USB or are there other steps (like those outlined in the post about Restoring Your Own Flash Image and typing restore at the c: prompt)?
4. I have downloaded the files from both Rapidshare and Megaupload, but when I go to copy the files from 7-zip to either my c: or my DOK I get an error message from 7-Zip Diagnostic Messages that says "CRC failed in 'stroths T5700_1.2\CopyToDOK\home\partimag\stroths-1.1\hda1.ntfs-img.aa'. File is broken"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroths, I'm in the process of upgrading my HP t5720 and I'm using your instructions to do it. I just ordered the 44-pin CF adapter and I'm considering which size CF to buy. At this point, it looks like I want to go with at least 16GB and I may go with 32GB. I also bought the nVidia Quadro NVS280 PCI 64MB DUAL Video Card on ebay for $20 to upgrade the graphics. Between upgraded graphics and upgraded CF, I should be able to install the full version of Windows XP. Though I'm not sure if I need to go with the full version.
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: stroths t5700 1.2 flash Reply with quote

buckeye09 wrote:
Thanks for this write up. For the most part it has been very easy to follow and has helped me a lot.

I am trying to install the 1.2 flash from page 1 and have a few questions:

1. Will this work on a t5720 w/ 1G flash/512 MB RAM?
2. Once all 5 parts are downloaded and unzipped, do I just copy the entire contents of the folders labeled "Copy to DOK" to my DOK or should I be copying specific files or folders?
3. Once the files are copied to the DOK, do I just boot from the USB or are there other steps (like those outlined in the post about Restoring Your Own Flash Image and typing restore at the c: prompt)?
4. I have downloaded the files from both Rapidshare and Megaupload, but when I go to copy the files from 7-zip to either my c: or my DOK I get an error message from 7-Zip Diagnostic Messages that says "CRC failed in 'stroths T5700_1.2\CopyToDOK\home\partimag\stroths-1.1\hda1.ntfs-img.aa'. File is broken"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.2 will only work on a t5700 1GHz or a t5710 1.2GHz, so it won't work on your unfortunately.

Mark wrote:
Stroths, I'm in the process of upgrading my HP t5720 and I'm using your instructions to do it. I just ordered the 44-pin CF adapter and I'm considering which size CF to buy. At this point, it looks like I want to go with at least 16GB and I may go with 32GB. I also bought the nVidia Quadro NVS280 PCI 64MB DUAL Video Card on ebay for $20 to upgrade the graphics. Between upgraded graphics and upgraded CF, I should be able to install the full version of Windows XP. Though I'm not sure if I need to go with the full version.

Regarding the CF, its up to you on the size as you should get what suits your needs. Keep in mind that you should find one that can be seen as a fixed drive as mentioned in the first few posts of this thread. If you plan on installing a full version of XP on it, then you can search for the Hitachi microdrive driver and it will trick Windows into thinking your CF drive is fixed. I don't know the insides of a t5720, but if they are like the previous t57xx series, it has a single PCI slot and requires an adapter to fit a PCI card in it like THIS. Here is the PCI expansion module illustration as well - HERE. I hope that is not the case, but I wanted to let you know about possible issue you might encounter.

If all you want is a full copy of XP, then go with a 2GB or 4GB CF. If you can, I would suggest you skip the CF route and go with one of the DOM's I have linked in my first post. If you go to those links, you will seer that the 2GB has dropped to $43 and the 4GB to $74 (plus shipping on either). The CF's will work, but it will take a little more work on your part to find one that will be seen as a fixed drive and you must mount the CF to IDE adapter somewhere.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroths,

Thanks for the advice. I found the Transcend 8GB DOM (TS8GDOM44H-S) for $103.00, which includes shipping, from a vendor in Ireland. From what I read in your first post, this DOM module doesn't need a 44-pin cable since it's a perfect fit. As far as the PCI adapter, I will need one. Below is the link showing the DOM:

http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS8GDOM44H_S.html
gerakus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: About T5700 Reply with quote

Will a T5700 hp work fine with just 256 flash/256 ram and windows XPe sp 2 with the magic jack software? *No planning on the flash upgrade*

I just planning to use the magic jack on this thin client computer and nothing more.

Please somebody confirm me that it will run just ok knowing that.
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: About T5700 Reply with quote

gerakus wrote:
Will a T5700 hp work fine with just 256 flash/256 ram and windows XPe sp 2 with the magic jack software? *No planning on the flash upgrade*

I just planning to use the magic jack on this thin client computer and nothing more.

Please somebody confirm me that it will run just ok knowing that.

That's the hardware specs that the original thread started with. They were using it just fine and my thread is just for those that want to add more power to their TC's.
mozerd
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: About T5700 Reply with quote

gerakus wrote:

No magicJack will not work on a T5700 256/256.

Yes magicJack will work on a T5700 256/256 if you want to use the older release of the magicJack software

but in view of the fact that magicJack are constantly improving their software and those improvements are tied to various factors within the magicJack network I would not advise going with the older version of the magicJack software because at some point without notice the older version will no longer be capable of communicating with the magicJack network. The magicJack expects to have the dynamic ability to upgrade its software without notice and on demand.

So to effectively run the magicJack on a T5700 you would need to upgrade to a 512/512 memory condition as a minimum.
gerakus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

mozerd and stroths

The information that you guys gave me its what I was looking for.
jwryahoo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My experience with TC thus far.

Quote:

You are asking in regards to the t5700 -- however there may be others that would want/need/like to know about the t5710. This information may be helpful.

I have a t5710, 1.2, 512/256 . I also have, I believe, the latest MJ update/upgrade. What I have found is the GUI of MJ requires more resources to run than it does when it is minimized.

My MJ runs flawlessly for about a week -- if I continue to minimize the pop up GUI after usage. At the end of about a week the memory on the TC in exhausted and I need to reboot and restart MJ. It seems that the newer version of MJ uses more resources.

Looking at the various posts here I think I need to increase my flash memory to at least 512 or more rather than leaving it at 256.

Actually, I was thinking on selling the TC on Ebay and buying/using a standard laptop -- however the TCs are now selling for less than what I paid for mine and I would probably lose money.

Is anyone else having the problem of the TC running out of memory after an extended time of usage with or without the pop up GUI remaining popped up?

Note -- I have done all the tweaks that are listed in the various threads.

Blessings

jwr
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwryahoo wrote:
Hi,

My experience with TC thus far.

Quote:

You are asking in regards to the t5700 -- however there may be others that would want/need/like to know about the t5710. This information may be helpful.

I have a t5710, 1.2, 512/256 . I also have, I believe, the latest MJ update/upgrade. What I have found is the GUI of MJ requires more resources to run than it does when it is minimized.

My MJ runs flawlessly for about a week -- if I continue to minimize the pop up GUI after usage. At the end of about a week the memory on the TC in exhausted and I need to reboot and restart MJ. It seems that the newer version of MJ uses more resources.

Looking at the various posts here I think I need to increase my flash memory to at least 512 or more rather than leaving it at 256.

Actually, I was thinking on selling the TC on Ebay and buying/using a standard laptop -- however the TCs are now selling for less than what I paid for mine and I would probably lose money.

Is anyone else having the problem of the TC running out of memory after an extended time of usage with or without the pop up GUI remaining popped up?

Note -- I have done all the tweaks that are listed in the various threads.

Blessings

jwr

Sounds like a small memory leak. I haven't noticed it but the thin client I am running one of my MJ's on has a scheduled task which runs at 4AM and reboots the thin client so I probably would not notice.
dims24
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey VaHam,
I would like my TC to reboot like that also. How did you set that up?
Thanks....Mike
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my MJ is on a t5710 256/512 i have no such problems with the memory my tc is on usually for weeks the only time i reboot is when i make some changes and need to commit.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dims24 wrote:
Hey VaHam,
I would like my TC to reboot like that also. How did you set that up?
Thanks....Mike

Just go into control panel and click on scheduled tasks then add a task.

In the run box place the following: C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -r
In the start in box place the following: C:\Windows\system32

You can also this from your desktop computer by going to network places then browse your local network and locate your thin client. There should be two folders Printers and Faxes and Scheduled Tasks You can click on the Scheduled tasks and enter the info above there to create the task on the thin client.

In both cases you need to fill in the Run as: info. For me this looks like MJ\Administrator where MJ is the NETBIOS Name of my thin client and Administrator is the user account there under which the task should be run. Then click on Set password and enter the Administrator password your using.

The times and rest of the settings you can configure as you like.

Keep in mind that this reboot will also do a auto update on MJ as it reboots so if you don't want that to happen you'll need to edit your hosts table to stops MJ updates.

dims24
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VaHam,
But actually.... earlier today I decided to check out a little free program I use on my main PC called "shutdown for windowsnt" by dimaware.

It has an option to schedule a reboot. I just put in the time and click ok. Works like a charm.....only once a day though. But that is fine.
Mike
bberris
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: install tinyxp Reply with quote

hotman wrote:
Can someone please explain how to install TinyXp Beast in a thin client T5700

Thanks!

How about a networking boot disk on the usb key?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dims24 wrote:
Thanks VaHam,
But actually.... earlier today I decided to check out a little free program I use on my main PC called "shutdown for windowsnt" by dimaware.

It has an option to schedule a reboot. I just put in the time and click ok. Works like a charm.....only once a day though. But that is fine.
Mike

Your welcome dims! BTW all the detail in the instructions was not aimed at you. I try to make things a simple as possible since all types of users read the mail in forums and you never know their skill level.

The -r option for shutdown also causes a reboot not just a shutdown. So the instructions above will in fact perform an automated reboot at whatever time(s) you specify.

I guess I just prefer to use built-in options rather than third party programs when ever I can. But as long as the cat gets skinned all is well Smile

mozerd
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
The -r option for shutdown also causes a reboot not just a shutdown. So the instructions above will in fact perform an automated reboot at whatever time(s) you specify.

I guess I just prefer to use built-in options rather than third party programs when ever I can. But as long as the cat gets skinned all is well Smile
The only point I would like to suggest to add to your instructions -- for a Thin Client -- is to make sure that in Services the Task Scheduler is started and set to Automatic otherwise the Automated reboot may never be invoked.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozerd wrote:
VaHam wrote:

The only point I would like to suggest to add to your instructions -- for a Thin Client -- is to make sure that in Services the Task Scheduler is started and set to Automatic otherwise the Automated reboot may never be invoked.

Good Point mozerd!

The task scheduler is handy and can be used for lots of things. It can even be used to do limited remote control since it can be controlled by using the Work Group options. You can setup tasks on the TC and then make them run by creating and changing settings using the task scheduler provided you have the share task scheduler enabled on the TC which I think is it's default. That way you don't even need run a remote desktop or teamviewer etc.

Bubbles
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuankn wrote:
When I turned it on I was informed that I had no audio device. Troubleshooting the problem I've narrowed it down to unplugging the monitor. The audio device stays present if I unplug the keyboard and/or the mouse. It immediately disappears when I unplug the monitor.

Thanks for any help,
fuankn

Are fuankn and I the only ones with this problem? I have a similar set up to fuankn. 5710 1.2Mhz Ali chipset but I only have 256/256 until my orders come in. I get the error "No output/input audio devices found!" when MJ first loads up and right after dialing a phone #. Under Volume/Headset Control MJ is locked on Headset/Other. I can't switch to Telephone and there are no audio devices to select for the 3 options.
The Ali drivers are there, not that I plan on using a headset and microphone anyway. If I call the MJ phone # I get a rapid busy and the call is logged in red color.
Any ideas out there in Magic Jack land?
PTravel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles wrote:
fuankn wrote:
When I turned it on I was informed that I had no audio device. Troubleshooting the problem I've narrowed it down to unplugging the monitor. The audio device stays present if I unplug the keyboard and/or the mouse. It immediately disappears when I unplug the monitor.

Thanks for any help,
fuankn

Are fuankn and I the only ones with this problem? I have a similar set up to fuankn. 5710 1.2Mhz Ali chipset but I only have 256/256 until my orders come in. I get the error "No output/input audio devices found!" when MJ first loads up and right after dialing a phone #. Under Volume/Headset Control MJ is locked on Headset/Other. I can't switch to Telephone and there are no audio devices to select for the 3 options.
The Ali drivers are there, not that I plan on using a headset and microphone anyway. If I call the MJ phone # I get a rapid busy and the call is logged in red color.
Sounds like the problem I (and just about everyone else) had with the HP thin clients. The only way I was able to fix this is by downgrading the firmware in the MagicJack. I spent an hour or so doing an on-line chat with the so-called support people and was finally promised a call back from a real technician. This was ten days ago. No call yet.
Bubbles
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
fuankn wrote:

Thanks for any help,
fuankn

Sounds like the problem I (and just about everyone else) had with the HP thin clients. The only way I was able to fix this is by downgrading the firmware in the MagicJack. I spent an hour or so doing an on-line chat with the so-called support people and was finally promised a call back from a real technician. This was ten days ago. No call yet.

Thanks. I found the thread. Now that I have the old firmware it's working somewhat. Now MJ locks up after about a minute of talking.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed upgrading my HP t5720. It's now a maximum of 1GB RAM, 8GB flash memory and I bought the expansion module and upgraded to NVidia's NVS280 64MB graphics card. Everything is running great.

The total cost was:
RAM = $50
8GB Flash = $105 (purchased from memoryc.com http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS8GDOM44H_S.html)
Expansion Module = $30
NVidia NVS280 graphics card = $40 (purchased off ebay)

I installed Zone Alarm firewall, Avast free virus software and I'm going to install Webroot Spy Sweeper. The video is much better than stock.
PTravel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I just completed upgrading my HP t5720. It's now a maximum of 1GB RAM, 8GB flash memory and I bought the expansion module and upgraded to NVidia's NVS280 64MB graphics card. Everything is running great.

The total cost was:
RAM = $50
8GB Flash = $105 (purchased from memoryc.com http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS8GDOM44H_S.html)
Expansion Module = $30

I installed Zone Alarm firewall, Avast free virus software and I'm going to install Webroot Spy Sweeper. The video is much better than stock.
Thanks for the report, Mark. I'm curious, why did you feel you needed 8 gig of flash memory? Are you running full XP Pro? Because flash memory has a limited re-write cycle, I've found it's best to put as much disk activity on a USB drive, e.g. installed programs, profiles, etc. I upgraded to 1 gb of flash, left the ram where it was and just added a USB drive.

I also got the expansion module (rather clever how HP designed it), but I'm using it with a gigabyte NIC so that my thin client can also function as an NAS (along with a number of other 24/7 functions). It, too, works great -- very speedy now.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant you use a standard CF thing? Or a USB flash drive?
85 bucks is expesnive ass for 8gb these days.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
Mark wrote:

The total cost was:
RAM = $50
Expansion Module = $30

Thanks for the report, Mark. I'm curious, why did you feel you needed 8 gig of flash memory? Are you running full XP Pro? Because flash memory has a limited re-write cycle, I've found it's best to put as much disk activity on a USB drive, e.g. installed programs, profiles, etc. I upgraded to 1 gb of flash, left the ram where it was and just added a USB drive.

I also got the expansion module (rather clever how HP designed it), but I'm using it with a gigabyte NIC so that my thin client can also function as an NAS (along with a number of other 24/7 functions). It, too, works great -- very speedy now.

From what I understand, limited rewrite cycle of flash is something I don't have to worry. Here is what I'm referring to: http://www.esacademy.com/faq/docs/flash/lifetime.htm

I bought 8GBs of flash because I wanted to install everything I would need for security, plus have plenty room for anything else I should happen to want to install/save. I admit that 8GB for a Thin Client is probably overkill since I'm not using it for business purposes. My t5720 is what I'm now using for surfing the Internet instead of my desktop computer, which was a bit loud with the fans, and it generated more heat and used more electricity with its 650 watt power supply (I bought an nVidia 8800GTS 640MB card for gaming--got to have a little fun after all). The quite surfing of the Thin Client in itself is nicer. The next thing I want to get is a 24-inch LCD monitor. I'm also looking into programing the Bios to turn my Thin Client on and off at preset times.

MagicJack is up and running without a problem. But I had to work to get everything running, including, of course, installing XPe and I also had to install DirectX 9.0c per HolmanGT's instructions and ran the diagnostic test. Once the DirectX was installed magicJack worked fine.

My overall evaluation of magicJack so far is that it's doing a good job, especially in light of the fact I'm saving the ridiculous costs to have a Verizon land line.
greggdluis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Transcend Flash Purchase w/Coupon Reply with quote

RE: http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS1GDOM44H-S

Decided to go with Transcend on the Flash Upgrades for my two T5710's and found a coupon after doing a Google for "Transcend Coupons" which saved me 5 bucks IF my order was over $50 NET. That coupon code is: FLRW887N2 which expires in October 2008. AND!!!! Transcend lowered their flash drive price down to around $27 each. I feel lucky for reading these posts. Thanks to all those who contribute here. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Hitachi Microdrive Speed Results Reply with quote

After an very long wait due to some problems with Deal Extreme I received the CF adapter I ordered from them a couple of days ago. Last Night I finally got a chance to give it a whirl in on of my T5710's.

First I set the BIOS to boot from usb first then ata second. I then inserted a DOK with an image of the system I had saved using the steps I outlined in an earlier post in this thread.

I took a simply approach to start with and just plugged in the cable, CF adapter and Microdrive into the IDE port where the flash drive normally resides. I then powered up the TC and entered the BIOS. I checked the hard drive to see if it was bing recognized and it was. It showed up as follows:

IDE Primary Master (there are jumpers on the CF adapter which can change this but mine came already setuo as master)

Cylinder 7936
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 7935
Sectors 63

Ok so far I just hit F10 to accept and exit the BIOS. When the TC rebooted it went to the DOK and booted free DOS. I just hit return a couple of time to accept the date and time and got to the C: prompt.

I typed restore (again using the steps I outlined in the earlier post in this thread) and the restore process began. Once the restore process was complete I removed the USB DOK as instructed and cycled the power. Almost amazingly the system booted right up into Xpe.

I was surprised that Xpe didn't complain that I was booting from a removable drive but it did not. All is not well with this method however since the primary partition size is that of the image I restored (512MB) and not the full drive size.

[align=center:e0fc1329be][/align:e0fc1329be]

I will have to figure out how to address this later but for now it would allow me to run the HD speed test to determine the performance of the Microdrive in the CF to IDE adapter. The results are shown in the following graphic.

[align=center:e0fc1329be][/align:e0fc1329be]

The performance appears to be the same as the stock flash drive which came in the T5710 at least thru the primary partition. It falls off a bit after 512MB and averages 5.8MB/s.

Obviously I have to find a way to extend the primary partition to make full use of the Mircodrive size so I have some work to do yet but for those of you interested in the speed performance this post should answer that.

stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you restore, you are limited to the original partition size. You might be able to play around with sysprep and get it to extend, but never tried it. Your other options are to reinstall fresh which should use the full disk size or use a 3rd party patitioning program to extend the ntfs. A free one is gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/).

EDIT: You could also just create a second partition too. Since you have a microdrive, you could also disable EWF completely if you wanted since you essentially have a micro hard drive.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
When you restore, you are limited to the original partition size. You might be able to play around with sysprep and get it to extend, but never tried it. Your other options are to reinstall fresh which should use the full disk size or use a 3rd party patitioning program to extend the ntfs. A free one is gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/).

EDIT: You could also just create a second partition too. Since you have a microdrive, you could also disable EWF completely if you wanted since you essentially have a micro hard drive.

Well after much trial and tribulation I finally gave up for now on trying to resize the original partition. I tried several different methods and software packages without success. The partition would resize ok and windows would boot from the resized partition however when it got to the point of "loading user information" it would quit saying that it was unable to check the security of the installation.

I did learn a few things in the process the most important one was that in order to get my T5710 to actually boot from USB I had to not only set the bios to boot from USB first I had to power down the TC. Not just turn the power off but actually remove the power connector. I suspect that if the bios detects a faulty ide (as when the microdrive has not been loaded with a MBR) it stops the boot saying the drive is invalid even though I had the bios set to disable ATA and enable USB. It seemed to ignore that and failed to boot from USB. I found by accident that removing the power completely prior to rebooting allowed the system to actually boot from the USB fine. Not sure why removing the power fixes this but it does.

After fiddling around with resizing the partition I decided that it would be easier to just create a second primary partition on the drive which would become my D: drive. I learned that since the microdrive was marked as removable that only one partition is allowed by windows. Some searching led to finding the Hitachi Microdrive Filter. This driver allows the microdrive to be seen as a fixed drive which can then be partitioned into multiple partitions.

To install the driver you need to first place a xPe image on the drive. I used the restore.bat from an image I had previously created as outlined in earlier posts to do that.

The Hitachi driver you download from xpefiles does not include disk.sys which will be needed for installation. I just used a disk.sys from my desktop xp system32 directory. If you want to make this easy unpack the xpfildrvr1224_320.zip from xpefiles download into an empty directory of your choice. Then create a sub directory under there called i386 and copy the disk.sys into the i386 subdirectory. This will avoid you have to search for and point to it later during installation of the driver on your TC. Next you need to copy the whatever you called your directory to somewhere on your TC. I used Teamviewer to copy the directory from my desktop to the TC but you can use any method to get the files on your TC.

To install the Microdrive Filter on your TC you need to go to My Computer and right click on the C: drive and select Properties from the list. Next select the Hardware tab you should then see your microdrive listed in the "all drives" box. Click on the properties button and then select the Driver tab near the top. After clicking on the driver tab select "Update Driver". On the nest window check "No not this time" then click next. Then check install from a specific location after which you will browse to where ever you saved the drivers earlier. Click on the cfadisk.inf and the install should take place. Just follow the directions from here and the system will notify that it has installed new drivers and needs to reboot.

I then used Gparted; actually I had problems with the gparted.iso not giving me a GUI and booting to a grub command line, so I located something called Parted Magic which includes gparted but handles the TC graphics better so I was able to get a GUI to work with. I then used the gparted option in Parted Magic to create actually a third partition since EWF creates a type 45 partition itself. I simply used the unallocated area to create an additional single large primary partition. I then selected to format the new partition ntfs from the menu. Don't forget to hit the apply after making your selections and waiting for them to complete. I then shut down Parted Magic and powered down.

When I rebooted I now have three drives listed C: (the original xPe patition) D: (the new 3+GB partition) and the original Z: (ram drive).

I used the enableEWF.bat to enable the EWF which protects the xPe C: drive from being written to without a commit and thus providing a measure of protection. It is possible to also add EWF to the D: partition as well but I chose not to do that and will point all the dynamic data at the D: drive.

I ran another drive speed test after all this to see how much the microdrive filter effected the speed and found that it does slow things down a bit as shown below however I can live with the speed decrease in order to have a nicely protected C: and a dynamic D: which I don't have to worry about burning out from write cycles.

[align=center:7d46950690][/align:7d46950690]
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Can't figure out how to use stroths 1.2. Reply with quote

I have the TC 192/256 that I successfully got mJ working on a while back...

But, I wanted the call spoofer, so I went and got the Transcend 1GB DOM. Installed that today.

So, now I wanted to get and install the stroths modified OS. I downloaded all parts, and they open up in WinRar, but I can't figure out what to do now. I tried to unrar them all into the same folder, but kept getting notices that some of the files already existed. I clicked okay, and had it overwrite each time, for each part of the files.

Then, I tried to format my USB drive using the HPUSBFW.EXE tool. And, that seems to work, until I get to the "1)Select your USB DOK drive letter, Select FAT, and check the "Create a DOS startup disk" option" part. If I click on the box for "create a DOS startup disk" option, it wants to know where the files are I will use to create this. "Using DOS system files located at:" and the box is blank. So, I can't create or format the USB key.

So, I can't get any farther. I can't format the USB key from within Windows, either, without it wanted to know where the DOS system files are.

What am I doing wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can't figure out how to use stroths 1.2. Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
I have the TC 192/256 that I successfully got mJ working on a while back...

But, I wanted the call spoofer, so I went and got the Transcend 1GB DOM. Installed that today.

So, now I wanted to get and install the stroths modified OS. I downloaded all parts, and they open up in WinRar, but I can't figure out what to do now. I tried to unrar them all into the same folder, but kept getting notices that some of the files already existed. I clicked okay, and had it overwrite each time, for each part of the files.

Then, I tried to format my USB drive using the HPUSBFW.EXE tool. And, that seems to work, until I get to the "1)Select your USB DOK drive letter, Select FAT, and check the "Create a DOS startup disk" option" part. If I click on the box for "create a DOS startup disk" option, it wants to know where the files are I will use to create this. "Using DOS system files located at:" and the box is blank. So, I can't create or format the USB key.

So, I can't get any farther. I can't format the USB key from within Windows, either, without it wanted to know where the DOS system files are.

What am I doing wrong?

I haven't used the HPUSBFW.EXE tool so I can't help you with that; but another way to get a DOS bootable USB DOK is to just download the HP Image File sp29702.exe and follow it's instructions to build the bootable DOK then delete any thing you don't need from that (image.ibr, autoexec.bat et. al.). Then you should be able to copy stroths files onto the DOK and use that.

UPDATE:

I suspect you may need to download the FREE DOS system files and point to these during the HPUSBFW process.

GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't figure out how to use stroths 1.2. Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
GuyOnTheAir wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

I haven't used the HPUSBFW.EXE tool so I can't help you with that; but another way to get a DOS bootable USB DOK is to just download the HP Image File sp29702.exe and follow it's instructions to build the bootable DOK then delete any thing you don't need from that (image.ibr, autoexec.bat et. al.). Then you should be able to copy stroths files onto the DOK and use that.

UPDATE:

I suspect you may need to download the FREE DOS system files and point to these during the HPUSBFW process.

I'm downloading the files you've mentioned, and will try them as soon as they're done downloading. Thanks for your input.

Anybody else understand my problem knowing what to do with each part of stroths downloads? There are parts 1 through 5. If I extract them, using WinRAR to the same folder location, each part, starting with part 2, wants to overwrite files already placed there by part 1. Do I just let them overwrite?

I guess I'm more used to RAR files parts that end up as a large single file when you try to unrar them, instead of a bunch of individual separate pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess nobody knows or understands my problem. I played around and played around with this. Eventually, it would boot from the USB stick, but would end up with a thousand errors and cancel out.

So, I just went back to the HP version to get my TC running.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Speed Test of 4GB 233X CF Card IDE Reply with quote

Ok using an image dump of the exact setup I used for the 4GB Hitachi Microdrive earlier the following is a HD Tach test result using a RiData 233X 4GB CF card instead of the Microdrive.

As you can see the read performance averages 44 MB/s for this CF card which is very respectable. So this approach is certainly a way to achieve good hardware performance for a good price. See earlier posts in this thread for pricing and sources of the hardware.

I do firmly believe that the Transcend modules are a better choice however because of their dropin replacement capability.

[align=center:d801adab03][/align:d801adab03]
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
Well, I guess nobody knows or understands my problem. I played around and played around with this. Eventually, it would boot from the USB stick, but would end up with a thousand errors and cancel out.

Sorry I can't help ypu but I have not used stroths image myself; but I several others have reported success with it so hopefully one of them will chime in here and help you out. I did go ahead and down load the rar's from mega site and like you I noticed that some files were overwritten during the unpacking and I just let it over write them. As I said I haven't actually burned the image to a dok or loaded up a TC with it but it appears ok just looking at the results on my desktop pc.

What were the errors you were getting?
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir wrote:

I just tested the 5 rar files and they extracted without any warning about overwriting. My guess is that either you or your program is trying to extract everything to a single folder rather than recreate the folder structure. If everything extracted to one folder, then the bootable USB would not work.

I am using WinRAR 3.7 for reference.
Delta-9
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths -- I have followed as much of your advice and setup help and I am still getting "No Audio Devices"

I have a 5700 with 1gb DOM and 512mb RAM. (Recently upgraded from 192/256).

I've downloaded your 1.0 version and have that working, your desktop is the old win2k desktop and the EWF icons are on the desktop. DirectX is working as can be seen below.

However I get a red X through the yellow lock icon and it says "Error getting EMF Status"

Here is a screen shot to give you an idea of what I have configured...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: