magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roundabout
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Man wrote:
Roundabout wrote:
I just thought I'd add in here that I found the 1GB Transcend flash DOM for a cheaper price than transcend.com - after doing a lot of looking around!

I just ordered one from Memory.com at this link:

http://www.memory.com/ts1gdom44h-s.html

It was $15.70 with free shipping and no tax. The company is based in Texas so I suppose there isn't any tax in the other 49 states. Be sure to select the "free shipping" option on the checkout page before submitting the order, because it defaults to FedEx ground shipping, which is expensive (almost $7, in my case).

(note: I am not connected to memory.com in any manner, just thought I'd pass this on since I couldn't find a lower price anywhere)

WOW! Very Happy That's a helluva great price. Thanks for sharing that Roundabout!

Glad to help. I'll be waiting for it to come (hopefully soon). I haven't opened my TC (t5710) since I got it a couple of years ago. Now that it has to be updated, I figured I may as well have a larger DOM to avert any future SNAFU's from MJ updates. Smile)
Paul Buck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Which Compact flash to use? Guru's, I'm listening. Reply with quote

New to this thin client business and I can feal my mind expanding faster than the Universe. I installed the 1gb ddr So Dimm. Ordered two female to female 6" IDE cables, On my desk sits the CF adaptor that i purcased like the one mentioned in this thread from hong kong i think but I'm paralized with indecision when it comes to the compact flash can I use an 8 GB what about speed are there limitations I was considering a 8 to 64GB transcend @ 600x but will I be able to utilize that much speed? Trancend tech support said thin client wouldnt accept anything over 2GB, is this so? Is there a work around? I want to create something outragios in that I've built a moster of a P.C. and have run out of things to spend money on it and took up this project. I want to make this thing as outragios as it can be to serve not only as magic jack but, other things I've seen in several diffrent blogs. I'm interested in your experince and accumulated knowledge.

Thanks,
Paul Buck

Running a Pissed off! 1090T on Asus Crosshair Formula IV, 16GB Corsair XMF Ram, Coolit Systems liquid cooled Processor with 2 Excalibur fans in push pull configuration. GTX480 video card, Crucial Crucial 256GB SSD 1GB WD Cavier Black, Antec 1200 watt PSU Plextor Blue Ray Burner, AFT PRO-55U card reader Asus ROG Overclocking Station. All housed in a Silverstone Raven RVO1. 7.6 sec boot.
Paul Buck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: 1 GB PC2700 DDR 333MHZ on a t5710 1.2Ghz thin client Reply with quote

I just read somewhere in this thread that the t5710 wont accept a 1 ghz ram does this still hold true? Is there a work around, bumed cuz I already bought it. is there anything bigger than 512 I can use that will work.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 GB PC2700 DDR 333MHZ on a t5710 1.2Ghz thin client Reply with quote

Paul Buck wrote:
I just read somewhere in this thread that the t5710 wont accept a 1 ghz ram does this still hold true? Is there a work around, bumed cuz I already bought it. is there anything bigger than 512 I can use that will work.

I didn't know that to be an issue. Although I run 512 in mine, it can't be the form factor as the 1 GB memory chip is the same identical size as the 512 MB. Does the OS fail to install or what keeps it from working? I thought 1 GB/1 GB units were common.
Paul Buck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: To Quote Stroths; Reply with quote

"RAM
The t5700/t5710 series runs on 200pin PC2700 DDR RAM. It has a single slot which will take up to 512mb RAM officially. I have personally tried a 1GB module which would boot to the HP BIOS logo and freeze.
(NOTE: 8 or 16 MB of system RAM is reserved for processor usage.) 256mb is perfectly adequate for running the MagicJack, but 512mb will allow the system to be a bit more responsive and less likely to have performance issues.
- VaHam suggests these http://www.pcmemorystore.com/HP_Compaq-Thin_Client_Series-T5710-ram.htm - Current price $25.75 + shipping. They are verified to work on the t5700 series.
- I bought a pair of these (1 for each of my thin clients) Samsung 512MB PC2700 DDR from a seller on eBay for about $18.50 shipped each and they work fine in my t5710 and t5700.
If you want to buy from a well known store then go with pcmemorystore. If you want to save a few bucks, go with mine or a similar one on ebay."

Now I'm not sure whether it's system limitations or the model or the brand of ram that was incompatable will have to wait for an answer from one of the resident geniuses.
Shotta420
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Stroths 1.2 Custom Software Reply with quote

I have a TC 75710 800Mhz 265/256. I am about to upgrade to 1Gb/512 does anyone know if stroths 1.2 will work on my system since it it 800Mhz and not a 1.2Ghz.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I BOUGHT ONE ON EBAY I THINK ITS MANUFACTURED BY TRUMP heres a link to the seller it works on my T5710 1.2ghz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330489149900&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
rush6432
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Creating Your Own Flash Image

There is a utility in control panel to do this but I was never able to get it to work correctly.

The utility in the control panel DOES work and i found out after playing with the boot order in the bios. you MUST set the usb to boot first and then the ata flash drive. Boot up the computer without a flash drive plugged into the usb port, then go into the control panel in windows and select thin client imaging tool and follow the directions on screen. once selecting the usb drive
it will restart itself and then boot into the same blue screen that you normally see when reflashing the unit, except it states that its copying the flash image to your usb drive.

just thought id post this bit of helpfull info for anyone wanting to make their own flash image they can easily install on multiple machines.
mememe1234
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: My recent upgrade with 4gb microdrive and tip Reply with quote

Got a T5710 from CL with 256/256mb of flash/memory right after the latest block from MJ to get rid of ATA. Was able to delete a lot of unused files to make it work. Since I have a 4gb hitachi micro drive taken out from my palm lifedrive, after read this thread, bought an adaptor and a cable, the upgrade was a success. Recently, got a 512mb memory chip out of the bay. After put it in I decided to reload the xpe. It was a night mare I had to admit. After few try and err, finally made it work.

Here is some tip may be of interest for those having similar issues.

1. Restore official image by following the instructions at the begining of this thread. If you do have similar issue like me that a message indicates that somethinglike can not accurately verify the licence, you need the following steps.

2. Boot into safe mode(FCool. Log into using Administrator/Administrator (hold shift). Update microdrive by following the instrctions in this thread by VaHam, then shutdown.

3. With the flash drive you used to restore xpe, put some utilities for dos in it. You will need diskgen, pmagic to fix partition, ghost to make backup. Reboot from flash drive. Use pmagic to do the partition. It seems the primary partition can not be too big. Less than 1gb seems work.

4. It should work after the partition job is done. Tweak the system if you want and reboot into the usb flash drive. Run ghost to make an backup image of your disk. Save it to the same flash drive.

You are done. The ghost image makes restore like a breeze.
corvus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Hello,Stroths Reply with quote

I can't download the programs from megaupload or rapid share these sites show the programs but I cannot click on them.Am I supposed to buy something from these people?I thought this was freeware?

Ed
Michael Pavacik
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if my question that not seem to be too advanced or lacks the basics. What is meant by thin client? Any help would be really appreciated.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for thin client might lead you to this http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-thin-client-and-magic-jack-t685.html among others.

Google gave me this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

Message is a little effort goes a long way.

OTC
zegreatone
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Problem writing the img file Reply with quote

Hi guys, i have a problem with t5700, when i try to write the flash.img , it tells me :
"The system was not shipped with the image OS "

I upload a screen shot here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any ideas ?

Thank You !
Diggs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have the wrong OS. Each HP thin client has a specific version. Yours should be here -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=379363&prodSeriesId=339208&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058
zegreatone
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diggs, thanks for the quick replay, i already try this, and with an older version to, but the same problem, the system was with shipped with Windows xPE I'm 100% shore, but i erase the flash and put linux... and now when i try to put the image back I can't Sad

Any ideas ?
janey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: HP Compaq T5700 Thin Client 1G 192/256 XPe/IE US T5000 Reply with quote

Hi, Evey one Just got a
HP Compaq T5700 Thin Client 1G 192/256 XPe/IE US T5000
I want to reinstall the Win XPe
Can someone tell me which exact file do i dnld from HP site .
Thanks Janet
Diggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be here -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=339208&prodNameId=379363&swEnvOID=1058&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I22384-106947
ra_adi
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the same unit. i upgraded the flash to a 2gb Transcend CF model TS2GCF133 and i am using with an IDE adapter. It works ok. I can see it in BIOS as primary IDE i can flash it with the image from HP but after it loads up, right before logging in it gives me this error about license.
What can i do? what are the steps?

... I made sure windows sees my Cf as a fixed drive .. and still didn't work
Diggs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You upgraded the flash but what about the RAM? 192 is not enough which is stated in "system requirements" on the link above.
ra_adi
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 256 Megs of RAM. I understand that stroths version is not working on 256. My problem becomes bigger when i tried to flash it using an HP release. Everything flashes ok ... boots up... but it doesn't pass the license screen. There is an error that won't allow me to login to windows. I can login into safe mode WITHOUT networking to make some changes. as soon as i enable networking i get the same license error.
Any ideas? Thanks
Diggs wrote:
You upgraded the flash but what about the RAM? 192 is not enough which is stated in "system requirements" on the link above.
rbentley42
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: T5730 Windows XP Professional Drivers NEEDED! Reply with quote

I installed a 40gb 2.5 hard drive w/ 44pin ribbon in my t5730 and installed Windows XP Professional SP3. Everything is working except there are two devices in the device manager. The "SM Bus Controller" and The "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". I know there's got to be something out there that will work, I just can't find it. Please Help!
steveh6883
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: T5710 800/512/256 XP Pro SP3 Drivers? Reply with quote

@rbentley42 - good question. Been trawling this & other forums for ages looking for the answer

Picked up 2x T5710 800/512/256, awaiting IDE-CF Adapter from China, in the meantime decided to put a 40GB HDD in the second and installed XP Pro SP3, but for the life of me can't find a handful of drivers:
WLAN
VGA
Multimedia Audio
& a couple of others I can't remember right now

Put the latest XPe softpaq from HP on the second and all fine with relevant drivers etc, but not sure how, or if, am able to extract drivers from that ISO/disk image

So where has anyone else found drivers for a standard (or lite) version of XP install?
steveh6883
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Extracting Drivers-RESOLVED Reply with quote

@ rbentley42 & others

After making this post, had a think & although don't know how to extract drivers from an iso image I realised as I have 2 units I could extract the drivers from one to transfer onto another - if you only have one unit eg HDD with XP full version on, then simply put the original DOM in with XPe, extract the drivers, save the extracted drivers to a USB flash drive, swap the DOM & HDD back over, then restore the drivers you saved

This is made very easy by using Driver Magician, can be found here:
http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=driver+magician

Install the program
When running the program, the default view is non-Microsoft drivers only, but you can change that to view ALL drivers by selecting from the text menu:
Driver Backup > Search All Drivers

This then shows ALL drivers on the system.
Select All (bottom right), then Start Backup & you will be prompted to select where to save the Drivers Backup folder. Select the USB flash drive

Once this is done, you can then power off, swap the DOM back over with your HDD

Install Driver Magician onto HDD
Run the program, select 'Restore Drivers' and then navigate to the USB flash drive folder where you saved the drivers backup

Once this is done, all should be good and your new XP installation will have all the relevant drivers

i have had a lot of success with this and it is a very easy process

NB. As I downloaded this program as a torrent, my security said it was an infected file, I chose to ignore this as most torrents I get it states the same - have left the program on and am not getting any issues

If you are unsure either:
A - don't download the program. or
B download, use, then uninstall

Regards
diyguy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a T5720 512/512 and I had a couple of questions,

1. Is there a way to prevent MagicJack from automatically running an update? My fear is that my 88mg of free space might not be able to handle it.

2. I notices that when I unplug the unit and plug it back it, it doesn't always respond to the power buttone to turn it on. It seems like I have to keep it unplugged for a but of time any one else notice this?

3. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I need to set to make sure this thing powers back on if the power is interrupted?

Thanks
gasnik
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

http://gasnik.pl/tmp/port.PNG

For what is this connector? I have it on my T5700. I can't find the description in manual.
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following the Thin Client usage for MJ. I have several of these and have successfully upgraded two TC's to run MJ...one with a larger solid state disk and another with a 6 gig thumbdrive. One of the TC's also runs Internet Radio and the output goes to a Ramseys FM25B broadcaster for my whole house usage.

If anyone knowledgeable is still following this thread, what ports/programs do you have opened on your security for just the MJ to operate? What services do you have enabled/disabled?

I think it is SO cool to use the TC with the USB MJ! Very Happy
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not knowledgeable to much of a degree, but have been using MJ on a Wyse TC for 2.5 yrs. Fabulous call quality, virtually no issues.

I recall setting up my modem with two ports specified for MJ, but I don't recall which ones, and I'm not home to check just now. I seem to recall MJ themselves provided the port info on their website. Other than that, I have FBWF on the Wyse, but no other active security beyond what a basic router setup provides.

Since cheap thin clients became more than capable of handling the current MJ devices, this forum has seen a big drop in interest.
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
I'm not knowledgeable to much of a degree, but have been using MJ on a Wyse TC for 2.5 yrs. Fabulous call quality, virtually no issues.

I recall setting up my modem with two ports specified for MJ, but I don't recall which ones, and I'm not home to check just now. I seem to recall MJ themselves provided the port info on their website. Other than that, I have FBWF on the Wyse, but no other active security beyond what a basic router setup provides.

Since cheap thin clients became more than capable of handling the current MJ devices, this forum has seen a big drop in interest.
I do not have great call quality...I have a lot of echo issues. I've tried many different solutions but they are still there. That's one reason why I was wondering about the port setup. Maybe my Internet speed is an issue, but most things are pretty fast.

Also, which cheap TC devices are you referring to?
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've had call quality issues related to my hardware, it's always been stuttering - holes in the stream. In 2011 when I started with MJ, the sub-$75 thin clients were VIA C3 or AMD Geode CPUs at sub-1GHz, often with 512MB or less flash and 512MB or less RAM, and the MJ dongles and software were evolving from more primitive levels as well. This forum was popular for the tweaks that helped those marginal components come together. With the subsequent VIA C7 and 1GHz AMD Sempron models, the XPe versions typically had the MJ-adequate minimum 512MB of flash and RAM, and I think the hardware requirement issues became a past matter. MJ came out with the + at about that time, and that may have also been why the TC interest dwindled. For awhile now you can get a Wyse V90L/V90LE (C7) and the HP T5730 (Sempron) for $25 now on eBay and the better Wyse C90LE (C7) or HP T5740 (Atom) for $50 or so. I have a 4th Gen dongle on a C90LEW. I've only once seen a problem with it in more than two years, and that was recently when I downloaded a torrent that hogged all my network bandwidth. I have medium level DSL service through ATT, but don't do much that uses network bandwidth, so I can't speak to that factor, aside from the extreme torrent experience.

I'm not savvy enough to speculate about the echo you get, are you running on a TC?
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
...are you running on a TC?
Yes. 1 Ghz HP w/512 and a way-over-sized 6 GB thumb drive. Took me three weeks to figure out how to adapt the drive to the TC. I have forgotten how I did it!
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just tested it with a friend about 400 miles from here. It only echoes when the speakerphone is on! As I switched between speaker, the echo and "stuttering" followed the speaker! I am gonna gamble that is the issue. Maybe a test further away would be in order?
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to set up the Sygate firewall for MJ?

That is the source of my echo.

When I disable it, the MJ works perfectly.

I have added the MJ files to the advance rules but it would still echo.

Maybe there is something else???
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to properly set up the Sygate firewall for MJ?
FlaTC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlaTC wrote:
Does anyone know how to properly set up the Sygate firewall for MJ?
Any responses out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: