magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that site looks like it will really be fun to be on.

good job so far, I'm looking forward to pressing ENTER the Thin Client Forum

let me know when it's finally open.

I've already book-marked http://www.thinclientforum.com/

BTW
I ordered the 8GB DOM - on the 30-day trial, so we should know for sure, if the T5710 BIOS sees the higher storage size or not... or if it's just an operating system (XPe) fault.

also got some other goodies on sale, along with a 1GB DOM in case the 8GB isn't seen by the TC... should I also order the 512MB RAM, in case the 1GB RAM isn't seen as well? or has it been established the 1GB RAM works in the T5710 (mine has the 1.2GHz processor and ATI 7000 graphics chip)
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
wow, that site looks like it will really be fun to be on.

good job so far, I'm looking forward to pressing ENTER the Thin Client Forum

let me know when it's finally open.

I've already book-marked http://www.thinclientforum.com/

BTW
I ordered the 8GB DOM - on the 30-day trial, so we should know for sure, if the T5710 BIOS sees the higher storage size or not... or if it's just an operating system (XPe) fault.

also got some other goodies on sale, along with a 1GB DOM in case the 8GB isn't seen by the TC... should I also order the 512MB RAM, in case the 1GB RAM isn't seen as well? or has it been established the 1GB RAM works in the T5710 (mine has the 1.2GHz processor and ATI 7000 graphics chip)

I would think it should work. I am running 4GB using a CF adapter in one of my T5710.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

I would think it should work. I am running 4GB using a CF adapter in one of my T5710.

are there differences in how the BIOS 'sees' the CF from the DOM, that may cause any issues ? ... or, it doesn't matter, and should also be seen.

what about the 1GB RAM chip, has it been established it works on the T5710 1.2GHz TC's, or spotty for some, good for some?

BTW- PTravel
your link to this site, has the OLD link address, before the recent move.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought two of these RAMS for my T5700's and when i put them in my tc wont even boot, what am i doing wrong or are these rams the wrong kinds?

thanks for any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360083622670
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
BTW- PTravel
your link to this site, has the OLD link address, before the recent move.
I'll fix it tonight -- thanks!
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptravel,
Some of us here are waiting for your site to be fully up.Its going to be fun.
We now know that magic jack for sure runs on a thin client so thats no biggie.Its the other more exciting things I am looking forward to.
Keep up the experiments and looking forward to being on your site once its up.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
i bought two of these RAMS for my T5700's and when i put them in my tc wont even boot, what am i doing wrong or are these rams the wrong kinds?

thanks for any input.

Hi, there's been "talk" around here , (typing actually Laughing ) regarding the Samsung chips, as shown in your link *of which the actual page has been removed*, as being un-stable in the Thin Client, either for being the wrong ones to use, or are defective, and being sold anyway.

I contacted Transcend USA, and was given the best choice for the 1GB and 512MB modules... the 1GB from Transcend was the better priced.

The 512MB RAM Module chosen by Transcent TECH SUPPORT
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/searchresult.asp?itemid=TS64MSD64V3F

The 1GB RAM Module chosen by Transcend TECH SUPPORT
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/SearchResult.asp?Itemid=TS128MSD64V3A

I ordered the 1GB RAM, based on those saying 1GB RAM works on their T5710
and also ordered the 8GB DOM on 30-day trial basis... so we should know for sure if that will be seen by the T5710's BIOS.

The Transcend TECH said, if the BIOS won't see it, chances are the XPe or even full XP Pro, won't see it either.

we shall see!
lymon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:

thanks for any input.

I have a T5700 using a similar if not identical Samsung 512 KB module and it works fine.

Did also hear some rumors that some Samsung rejects were being sold as good, but it's only a rumor as far as I know.

Do you know anyone with a laptop that uses this dram to test it for you?
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies lymon and mono-

i dont know anyone who has a laptop that can test it am gonna see if i can return it or exchange it for something else if not its money down the drain.

mono i will have to investigate the RAMs you linked up and may have to invest in those.

i hope the specs on the first post on this thread is modified becasue i bought the RAM based on the info from that first post.

thanks all.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PTravel,
Did you get a chance to stream HULU on your 5720 ?
PTravel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
Hey PTravel,
Did you get a chance to stream HULU on your 5720 ?
Yes . . . kind of. My 5720 video server sits on a LAN segment that has a wireless link. I've been having some trouble with the wireless segment -- not getting the throughput that I'd expect. The HD material on HULU played, but was choppy. I attribute that to the wireless segment. However, one thing became immediately apparent: The HULU HD material is so heavily compressed that, at least at 1080p on a 47" screen, it is so degraded as make HD meaningless. The digital artifacts were so extreme and pronounced that it looked like Youtube on a bad day. I could watch it from a distance, but it certainly wouldn't qualify as anything I'd describe as HD. The standard definition HULU material actually looked better, though digital artifacts were quite apparent there, as well.

In short, I wouldn't depend on HULU as an alternative to cable or satellite -- it doesn't even come close.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking.
What is your Internet speed ?
Could you try with a direct LAN cable (if possible in your setup) to eliminate the wireless problem.
I think the CPU speed is also important for rendering the image to the display...Just a hunch not sure...
My 2.6GHZ laptop plays hulu ok..Its not real HD but at least there is no lag/stutter.
PTravel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a fairly reliable 3 mbs connection.

There's no practical way I can try this with the big HDTV. However, I have a 1080 x 1200 24" monitor that I use for most of my computing. I think I can hit it with a 25' cat5 cable. Moving the 5720 video machine at this point would be fairly difficult -- we have a small apartment and the "home theater wall" is a major rat's nest of cabling. However, I've just ordered a 5730 which should arrive next week. The 5730 is identical to the 5720 except that it has a DVI jack and a gigabit NIC. When it arrives, I'll try connecting it to the 24" HD monitor and do a direct cable connection to the wired portion of the LAN to eliminate the wireless variable. I'll let you know how it goes.

My laptop is a 2 GHz core 2 duo machine. It also plays HULU HD just fine -- I actually watched a little at my house in SF which also has a wireless LAN segment. The reason I'm convinced it should work okay on 5720 is because HULU's bandwidth has to be less than the 3mbps wireless link I have in SF, or it wouldn't play on my laptop. DVDs use mpeg2 at a maximum of 10 mbps. If the 5720 can decode mpeg2 at 10mbps AND scan convert to 1080p, I can't imagine why it would have any trouble with HULU.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
I am going to upgrade the 5720 to the 64MB Nvidia and the PCI Expansion module.Will let you know how that goes.64MB VRAM is the min reqrmnt for hulu anyway so that should do it.If not ,well, i was planning to put a hard drive as well so the expansion module would come in handy then.
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to install Stroth's 1.2 flash image into my T5700. But I do not want to upgrade the 512mb flash/256mb RAM. Anyone have a flash image that runs with this config? Thanks.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
Thanks again.
I am going to upgrade the 5720 to the 64MB Nvidia and the PCI Expansion module.Will let you know how that goes.64MB VRAM is the min reqrmnt for hulu anyway so that should do it.If not ,well, i was planning to put a hard drive as well so the expansion module would come in handy then.
Okay, the t5730 arrived today (great machine). I did a clean install of the upgraded BIOS and OS, cleaned out all the junk and connected it to my 1920 x 1200 monitor with a hard-wire connection to my front-end router which is connected to my DSL line. Unfortunately, I don't have an absolute answer for you.

hulu.com was a problem on this machine generally, both SD and HD. My t5720, with a wifi connection, handled both much, much better. The difference may be the video card -- I'm using the t5730's internal card but a Matrox TC2 for the t5720. I also tried playing some HD from vimeo.com. Results were better but still not good. Finally, I tried video on my own website (travelersvideo.com). I've only SD video there, but it played perfectly.

So, I'm not sure what to conclude. The problem with hulu.com may be Adobe Flash. It also may require a fairly heavy-duty graphics card.

Good luck -- let me know how it works out for you (and thinclientforum.com is just about ready to go . . . the forum is set up, but I want to put up some more "value added" material before I go public).

----------------------------------------
Edited to add:

I've done some more experimenting. I installed the latest driver for the graphics card (an ATI on the t5730). It's not available from HP -- I had to go to ATI's site. With it installed, hulu ran a bit better, though still not satisfactorily. This seems to confirm that the primary issue is the graphics card on the t5730.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel,
Thanks for the follow up.Its the video card i think .
I've got the Nvidia 64MB VRAM with me bought from ebay ,still waiting for the shipment of Expansion bay.Once thats in i would be ready to report.
Waiting for your website to be up.
PTravel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
PTravel,
Thanks for the follow up.Its the video card i think .
I've got the Nvidia 64MB VRAM with me bought from ebay ,still waiting for the shipment of Expansion bay.Once thats in i would be ready to report.
Waiting for your website to be up.
Though the website isn't officially up yet, people have been finding their way to the forum anyway, so I've activated the "Enter the Thin Client Forum" button.

Please join us at:

www.thinclientforum.com
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everyone for the excellent info found here. You guys are making my life incredibly simple! Smile

Just won/order the following:

HP t5700 1Ghz 256/256 from Ebay: $49.22 shipped
Transcend 512mb IDE Flash Module from Transcend: $17.07 shipped
Samsung 512MB DDR333 PC2700 SODIMM from Ebay: $15.10 shipped

I will most definitely be installing stroths t5700/t5710 custom flash version 1.2 (BTW stroth...may I suggest you update the first post in this thread with that info?).

Hopefully I now have everything I need. From what I have read so far, I should be good to go. I will report back once I have have everything up an running. If worse comes to worse, I can always turn this thing into a NAS (using FreeNAS) with a 2TB USB drive. Smile

Once again, thanks to all and see you on the battlefield!

John
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to install Stroth's 1.2 firmware? I thought his flash firmware required 1gb of flash?
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlpineMan wrote:
How are you going to install Stroth's 1.2 firmware? I thought his flash firmware required 1gb of flash?

DOH!

Missed that part. I guess I will be using a vanilla image for teh time being...until I map out the parts needed to upgrade the flash drive.

This does bring up a question...

Are there any limitiations on the size flash drive you can use with the 5700? And by limitations, I mena reasonable...like 1gb pr 2gb. I'm not looking to stick an 8gb flash drive in this thing. Smile

Thanks for the heads-up AlpineMan!

John
Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you. I am using 512 flash and 512 Ram and I am just amazed what this little thing can do. I still have about 200 mb left. It's just perfect for browsing the web and of course Magic Jack. Heck I even use it to charge my Motorola Razr cell phone.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
I'll tell you. I am using 512 flash and 512 Ram and I am just amazed what this little thing can do. I still have about 200 mb left. Is just perfect for browsing the web and of course Magic Jack. Heck I even use it to charge my Motorola Razr cell phone.

Thunder...you may have just convinced me to leave well enough alone!

But of course...I am a dork...and my mind wanders...

I have a few ideas rattling around in this thing I call a brain. I'll do my homework and fill you guys in later. Wink

John
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...for anyone looking for a cheap CF -->> IDE44 adapter in the US:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10310

$2.82 shipped! lol
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5700 takes up to 1 GB DOM.Mine did not read 2 GM DOM it showed up only 1GB in the BIOS.Buy 1GB for the 5700 and you are safe.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
5700 takes up to 1 GB DOM.Mine did not read 2 GM DOM it showed up only 1GB in the BIOS.Buy 1GB for the 5700 and you are safe.

Thanks Free. That is good info to have if I do decide to upgrade! Smile

BTW...I know that this is somewhat off-topic...but has anyone messed around with any other TCs other than the HPs?
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually had another thought...

This may be total overkill, but has anyone give thought to using an SSD (Solid State Disk) drive? This would eliminate the need for a CF --> IDE44 adapter (just need the 44 pin cable) and can mounted much in the same way that stroths mounted his. The units are completely self-contained so you wouldn't need to worry about exposed circuitry. Added benefit...throughput!!! Smile

Here are some smaples: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=Solid-State-Disks

The Trascend 8GB is $95: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208315

I guess there is still the question of limitation on maximum disk size.

John
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Some members of the forum here have put 8GB Transcend doms on their
5720.The 1GB limitation was only for the 5700.

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS8GDOM44H-S
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...but what about an SSD? Does anyone know what the upper limitation is on a 5730? Is it a fair assumption that 32GB would be over the max?
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still finding stuff that might be useful...

For those of us who have an available PCI expansion slot, this might be a "nice-to-have". Easy access to the CF:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Convert-Any-Available-Standard-Ide-40PIN-Or-44PIN-Conne_W0QQitemZ290261484849QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

John
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
Still finding stuff that might be useful...

For those of us who have an available PCI expansion slot, this might be a "nice-to-have". Easy access to the CF:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Convert-Any-Available-Standard-Ide-40PIN-Or-44PIN-Conne_W0QQitemZ290261484849QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

John

This is sold by antonline on eBay.

I've had bad dealings with antonline and his eBay listings.
not for this particular item but another thing being auctioned by him.

The other item auctioned, and won by me (only a buy-it-now deal) was never actually in stock at his "store" and saved if he did have it, for the winner of the auction.

After I paid for it, I was told it was on back-order Mad
He was supposed to keep it on the side for the winner of the auction, but
he said it was sold on his website before I won it, and they were trying to get more, but could not.

I called the manufacturer of the item to ask if any are available and was told antonline wasn't an authorized re-seller of the item, and the manufacturer had over 600 of the item in their stock.

So this antonline faker was just a big fat liar, and never had the item in the first place. ... If he did, he was supposed to hold it separate from any other items for sale on his web site, according to eBay and their policies, it's fraud to auction something you don't actually have.

The manufacturer said they see this all the time with eBay listings from this antonline faker and others, who just list things at a low price just to get people on their web site, or auction page, as free ads... to promote their stores.

Then they say it's on backorder and you can cancel if you don't want to wait... this is how they get out of having to honor the auction contract.

LIARS... even with his large amounts of positive feedback, if you look at the ones that are negative, or neutral, you'll see a pattern of the same crap.

There are many other places to shop for this kind of stuff.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if you guys find the need to run Anti-Virus software on your TCs. Mine will be used solely as an MJ box and will never be used to surf the web or check e-mail. The most ot will ever do is go out to windows update to get patches. Do you think I really need AV?

If so, any AV recommendations for the TCs?

Thanks,

John
Thunder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, That is the beauty of these little jewels. If you get a virus just reboot and its gone.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
NO, That is the beauty of these little jewels. If you get a virus just reboot and its gone.

thx Thunder.

By that statement, are you saying that the flash is volatile (does not store data permantently)? If that is the case, how does it retain settings that are tweaked (i.e. registry key for admin auto logon)?

John
PTravel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
Thunder wrote:

thx Thunder.

By that statement, are you saying that the flash is volatile (does not store data permantently)? If that is the case, how does it retain settings that are tweaked (i.e. registry key for admin auto logon)?

John
At least in HP/Compaq t5000-series thin clients, data to be written to the flash memory is buffered so as to limit the number of write cycles. Unless you expressly direct the thin client to save the data (by "committing" it) it doesn't get written and nothing on the flash gets changed. It is, however, possible to disable the write buffering completely. This is only recommended for when you're doing a lot of installations, and then only for that session. The thin client would be vulnerable to malware in this state, or if you commit a write post-infection. Otherwise, just rebooting gets you to the last state in which data was committed.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least in HP/Compaq t5000-series thin clients, data to be written to the flash memory is buffered so as to limit the number of write cycles. Unless you expressly direct the thin client to save the data (by "committing" it) it doesn't get written and nothing on the flash gets changed. It is, however, possible to disable the write buffering completely. This is only recommended for when you're doing a lot of installations, and then only for that session. The thin client would be vulnerable to malware in this state, or if you commit a write post-infection. Otherwise, just rebooting gets you to the last state in which data was committed.

Ahhhh...COMMIT! That is the part I was missing! Smile

BTW...just upgraded my flash to 1GB...easy as pie. Smile

However, I learned about the dreaded Samsung memory chip incomptabilities too late. Luckily, I had a ThinkPad T42 with 512mb lying around that I borrowed from work. I popped that chip in and it worked like a charm. better yet...put the Samsung chip in the T42 and it liked it as well Everyone is happy. Smile

Now I am installing stroths image. So far so good.

John

PS. Now I see what you guys mean about that hideous blue light! OUCH!!!
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I htink I hit my first snafu with my T5700.

I installed stroths. The only thing I modified was to give the local administrator account permissions to use Remote Desktop.

If I connect to the TC using Remote Desktop via one of my workstations, it seems to kill MJ. I get a dialtone, but calls do not go through. At this point, I have to terminate my Remote Desktop session (I still have a KB, monitor and mouse hooked up), terminate MJ, disconnect MJ and reconnect it. I am then able to make calls. As soon as I start another Remote Desktop session, I am back to a dead MJ.

This must have something to do with the Remote Desktop session locking the TC when I connect.

Any ideas?

John
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
OK...I htink I hit my first snafu with my T5700.

I installed stroths. The only thing I modified was to give the local administrator account permissions to use Remote Desktop.

If I connect to the TC using Remote Desktop via one of my workstations, it seems to kill MJ. I get a dialtone, but calls do not go through. At this point, I have to terminate my Remote Desktop session (I still have a KB, monitor and mouse hooked up), terminate MJ, disconnect MJ and reconnect it. I am then able to make calls. As soon as I start another Remote Desktop session, I am back to a dead MJ.

This must have something to do with the Remote Desktop session locking the TC when I connect.

Any ideas?

John

I don't use remote desktop on my thin client, but I recall others having issues using Microsoft's remote desktop. Below is something VaHam and HolmanGT suggest for remote connection.

Quote:

One of the great things recommended to me (by HolmanGT) was Team Viewer this wonderful utility allows you to remotely control and view the desktop of your TC. Once installed you can remove the mouse, keyboard and monitor of your TC and just run it remotely. Team Viewer has a small footprint and works great. It is free for personal use and I highly recommend it for professional use as well. When you install it select it to start with windows and give it a password. Later you�ll also want to go into it�s �Extra� settings and adjust it to your liking.

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/version_3x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe
Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a KVM switch on my TC which works great. I can get into the TC without having to boot my main PC. But then again I guess you can't beat free !!
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...I guess nine is a charm. RDC is now working perfectly. I have no idea what I did differently, but it does not interfere with my MJ anymore.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I spoke too soon. RDC starting screwing up MJ again so I just moved to RemotelyAnywhere. I know it has a bigger footprint than other RA software, but I am familiar with it and it has always worked 100% for me. Smile

Actually, I just thought of a question that I wanted to ask earlier. I assume it is OK but want to make sure so I don't have to rebuild this thing for a 13th time. Is it OK to change the local admin password in stroths image? Has anyone done this without consequence?

TIA,

John
stroths

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
...Actually, I just thought of a question that I wanted to ask earlier. I assume it is OK but want to make sure so I don't have to rebuild this thing for a 13th time. Is it OK to change the local admin password in stroths image? Has anyone done this without consequence?

TIA,

John

I never did, but I don't see why it would cause any issues. The password used is actually the stock one from the HP image. If you have any services setup to run as the Admin user, you would have to change the PW on them. The only service I added was the MagicJack service (if you chose to use it) and it doesn't run off the Admin acct, so PW changes wouldn't matter for it.
solarpower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great post. Is there any SD card to IDE adpater similar to CF adapter that will fit? I see CF format obsolete very soon due to size factor. Also i am having tough time in finding embeded XP drivers for my Wireless USB adapter (EH-103). Any suggestions?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
clftx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get T5710 1.2G, replaced with 512 RAM and 2G IDE Flash from Transcend.

After Loaded with stroths 1.2, it give error of "A disk read error occurred" any one can help me it this ? thanks.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clftx wrote:
Get T5710 1.2G, replaced with 512 RAM and 2G IDE Flash from Transcend.

After Loaded with stroths 1.2, it give error of "A disk read error occurred" any one can help me it this ? thanks.

1.2 requires a 1gb internal flash. I don't know if it would have any issues restoring to a 2gb drive. You might try restoring again and seeing if it makes any difference.
MagicJackInSac
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroths,

I have one of your thin clients, got it from you way back in July. Before I got it set up I ended up getting the Blue screen of death and assumed it crashed. I am just now getting around to trying to get this thing to work again. I downloaded 1.2 and unzipped to a usb dok and started following the instructions, but there appears to be a missing step between 4 and 5. after doing step 4, checking the box to create a dos startup disk, I only have the option to "choose using dos system files located at:" (and here is where I do not know where to choose from) so I cannot move on to step 5.
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJackInSac wrote:
Stroths,

I have one of your thin clients, got it from you way back in July. Before I got it set up I ended up getting the Blue screen of death and assumed it crashed. I am just now getting around to trying to get this thing to work again. I downloaded 1.2 and unzipped to a usb dok and started following the instructions, but there appears to be a missing step between 4 and 5. after doing step 4, checking the box to create a dos startup disk, I only have the option to "choose using dos system files located at:" (and here is where I do not know where to choose from) so I cannot move on to step 5.

Try doing it without the option checked for DOS startup disk and see if that works. I believe that was a carryover from stroths 1.1 that's not needed in 1.2 (I think).
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: My new t5720 Reply with quote

Just got a t5720 off ebay for ~$75. Upgraded the ram to 1gb ($11) and the flash to 2gb ($25). This is a little bigger than my t5700 and t5710, but I like it. I managed to do an nlited HP OEM install of XP Pro SP3 (not XPe) that is legit. It's basically like the copy of XP that comes with a new Dell as its set to not need registration providing the BIOS has some certain bits in it to identify its a Dell (HP in this case). Took a little over a gb of the 2gb flash drive up.

This puppy is faaast. I tweaked the heck out of it and installed the EWF drivers, disabled the pagefile, put a 192mb ramdrive, etc.

I plan on using this as a call recording box using an app called Cain. I had it running on my desktop, but it is a network hog for the pc its running on.

On a side note, the 5720 uses a socket A. I stuck an athlon 3300 which booted, but only at 1750mhz and got warm fast. Just testing, so I'll stick with the stock CPU (for now) Smile
lakay2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: T5720 Reply with quote

stroths,

First of all thanks for all your posts and more power to you. I have been busy playing with the 5710 & 5720 and boy I tell you I have never been more busy than the last 2 months playing with these toys. I just had XPe SP3 on a 1GB flash on my 5720 with 100MB space left enough to squeeze in MJ and AntiVirus. I have some questions if you don't mind.

1. If using 5720 for Internet Browsing and e-mail - Will it be necessary/beneficial to install Antivirus e.g. AVGFree Version or maybe Windows Defender?

2. Wow! how did you get a 5720 for $75 on eBay And 1GB RAM for $11 I wanna know please? Good things happen to those who wait or good things happen to good people or both? I 'll go with BOTH.

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!

Lakay2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: