magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Speed Tests

Testing Software - HD Tach (Thanks VaHam)

Unit 1
HP t5700 1GHz
Windows XP Corp SP2
512MB RAM
Sony 2GB 133X Compact Flash (NCFC2G)
Compact Flash to 44pin IDE adapter

Unit 2
HP t5710 1.2GHz
Windows XP Embedded (HP Image)
512MB RAM
Transcend 1GB DOM Flash drive

The 1GB Transcend Disk on Module flash memory and got an average read speed of 25.8MB/s which isn't bad. The 2GB 133x Sony Compact Flash got 14.3mb/s average read.

Nice so it appears that HolmanGT's observation was correct the Transcend appears to be about 3X faster than the stock 512MB modules. As soon as my other adapters arrive I will post results for a 233X CF and microdrive.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Nice so it appears that HolmanGT's observation was correct the Transcend appears to be about 3X faster than the stock 512MB modules. As soon as my other adapters arrive I will post results for a 233X CF and microdrive.

I just updated my post with stats from the 256MB stock unit which was 8.4mb/s read, so the Transcend read about 3 times as fast...very nice.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
VaHam wrote:

I just updated my post with stats from the 256MB stock unit which was 8.4mb/s read, so the Transcend read about 3 times as fast...very nice.

I still haven't figured out why my 256/256 was so slow. I guess I'll have to take it out of service so I can connect it to a monitor and keyboard and examine the bios setting. Perhaps they are not optimum. I had expected it to be like yours; the same as my 512/512 units. Or perhaps it is the ram making the difference.
jwryahoo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to all this and had a question.

With regards to the T5710 and the suggested modifications in this thread..... does the MJ not function properly with the stock Thin Client or do you need to make the various modifications in order for it to work properly?

Thank you in advance

jwr
jwryahoo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I have another question.

HP Thin Clients are getting hard to get or quite expensive. Has any tried running/installing the HP Thin Clients software on a different computer to see if it will work. For insance installing the OS on an older P3 700 IBM computer?

Thanks so much for your help.

Blessings

jwr
stroths

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwryahoo wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to all this and had a question.

With regards to the T5710 and the suggested modifications in this thread..... does the MJ not function properly with the stock Thin Client or do you need to make the various modifications in order for it to work properly?

jwr

My t5700 and t5710 both came with 256mb flash and 256mb ram which was perfectly capable of running the magicjack software. There are ones out there floating around with only 192mb flash on ebay and they run around $80. I wouldn't suggest these unless you plan on upgrading the flash memory. While its possible to get them working, its more work because you have to manually delete more files to make room for the magicjack software.

jwryahoo wrote:

HP Thin Clients are getting hard to get or quite expensive. Has any tried running/installing the HP Thin Clients software on a different computer to see if it will work. For insance installing the OS on an older P3 700 IBM computer?

jwr

Keep in mind that there are deals out there. I ended up with a t5710 and a t5700 from ebay for $90 shipped total.

Regarding using the HP thin client OS on different hardware, I have successfully done this on a virtual machine (vmware), but I wouldn't suggest it. The image is custom designed and licensed for the hardware on the HP thin client. The only way to get it on another machine would be to make a disk image (Norton Ghost, Acronis Backup, etc) from a working HP thin client and put that image on another PC. Then you have to get around installing the missing drivers if you can even get it to boot in XP. After that, you have to worry about licensing because its activation only works for the hardware it was designed for.

For an older PC like you described, I would suggest a trimmed down copy of Windows XP either using nlite or one someone already built. Tiny XP Rev 06 or XP Spripped to the Bone Edition would be good choices as well. The legality of the latter two choices is questionable, but you can google for them.

Last edited by stroths on Thu May 22, 2008 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new thin Client called neoware M100. Hp purchased this company and everything needed is on the HP website. I'm going to setup and will let you guys know..
stroths

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in buying one that's already upgraded to 512mb RAM and a 1GB Transcend flash module, look HERE. I am not sure what this forum's rules are on posting classifieds, so I stuck it in the lounge subforum.
jwryahoo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stroths,

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

Blessings

jwr
hotman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys how can I install .NET on my T5700 with 1G
stroths

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotman wrote:
Guys how can I install .NET on my T5700 with 1G

Just download the .net 2.0 sp1 from MS and install. I would suggest you disable the EWF first and make sure your RAM drive is set to 64mb to make sure there's enough space for temp files.
hotman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please give me a link to the .NET 2.0 SP1. Everytime I download it I get this is not a win32 app.
jwryahoo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stroths,

I have a question for you.

There is quite a bit of talk around the forums about the "low" outgoing voice volume using MJ.

With the setup you have with the TC have you encountered this problem of "low" outgoing voice volume? Have people said they couldn't hear you or you sound far, far away?

Thanks for you answer in advance

Blessings

jwr
stroths

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotman wrote:
Can you please give me a link to the .NET 2.0 SP1. Everytime I download it I get this is not a win32 app.

HERE is the link I used (I believe). If you have any problems installing due to memory, you can use a program like winrar to "unzip" the msi file and run the setup directly. If you go this route, do the unzipping on a regular PC then copy all the unzipped files to a USB flash drive (or network share) then install from there on your TC.

You will probably need the Windows Installer 3.1 as well HERE before it will let you install .Net. Keep in mind that this app will look like its doing nothing for a few minutes during install, so just be patient. .Net takes a while too.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwryahoo wrote:
Hi stroths,

I have a question for you.

There is quite a bit of talk around the forums about the "low" outgoing voice volume using MJ.

With the setup you have with the TC have you encountered this problem of "low" outgoing voice volume? Have people said they couldn't hear you or you sound far, far away?

Thanks for you answer in advance

Blessings

jwr

I haven't experienced this, but I don't know if the issue is related to PC hardware, settings, or just the MJ network in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: