magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hp thin Client client t5700 will not recognize usb stick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgriddle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Hp thin Client client t5700 will not recognize usb stick Reply with quote

Purchased the following

HP COMPAQ t5700 THIN CLIENT 1GHZ / 192/256 XPe/IE US
Tried to install the majic jack and it would not take. So I have been trying to format my usb stick with ap image provided by hp and it gives an erros and does not format.

So I tried to downloaded strotht5700 images yesterday and I got "NTLDR is missing"

Any advice would help

Thanks
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hp thin Client client t5700 will not recognize usb stick Reply with quote

dgriddle wrote:

Purchased the following

Tried to install the majic jack and it would not take. So I have been trying to format my usb stick with ap image provided by hp and it gives an erros and does not format.

So I tried to downloaded strotht5700 images yesterday and I got "NTLDR is missing"

Any advice would help

Thanks

Ok lets start with the gold standard. The HP Image should certainly load provided your usb disk on key(dok) is bootable. Not all dok's are bootable but I would think even those which are not would not refuse to format.

Questions:

1) What does the error message you get say?
2) Does your dok have a switch to block writing to it? If so make sure it is in the enable writing position.
3) Can you just format the dok from windows or whatever operating system your using? Perhaps the dok is broken.
4) What is the sp####.EXE of the image you downloaded from HP?

lymon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What VaHam said.

I have had a T5700 perking merrily with Magicjack for over a month now. So, it should work. You do have it set to boot from USB, right? I don't believe that you currently have enough memory to load stroths image or even to run your MJ without extensive trimming of "unneeded" XPe programs.

The XPe image from HP should definitely load without problem. Keep us posted.
PTravel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a powered USB hub for the USB stick. That seems to cure most of my boot-from-USB issues.
dgriddle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i read some ware that only the kingston traveller is working and what version should i download from hp sp####.EXE ?

I will try the powerd usb hub
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgriddle wrote:
thanks, i read some ware that only the kingston traveller is working and what version should i download from hp sp####.EXE ?

I will try the powerd usb hub

I don't think that it is true that only a Kingston Data Travler will work there are others which doalso. I use a Kanguru 512 MB for the stock image and kingston for larger ones. I have not heard of anyone having to have a powered usb port to work with a dok but I guess that is possible.

You gotta help me out here before I can be of any more assistance. Earlier I asked 4 questions:

Questions:

1) What does the error message you get say?
2) Does your dok have a switch to block writing to it? If so make sure it is in the enable writing position.
3) Can you just format the dok from windows or whatever operating system your using? Perhaps the dok is broken.
4) What is the sp####.EXE of the image you downloaded from HP?

But you didn't answer any of them in your response.

dgriddle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VaHam:

1)i cannot remember the exact error but the link below is from hp and talks about this issue

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1218202888956+28353475&threadId=438749

2)Its enabled to write to the jump drive/memory stick 4gb
3)yes i can format the jump drive/memory stick is 4gb from windows
4)sp29705.exe

thanks !
dgriddle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I tried sp28963.exe and it worked i was able to format the usp jump drive and with this.

I will try to load the os after work, so i hope everything works this time.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgriddle wrote:
Thanks VaHam:

1)i cannot remember the exact error but the link below is from hp and talks about this issue

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1218202888956+28353475&threadId=438749

I understand that not all dok's work but there were others mentioned in that thread which do in addition to the Kingston. The HP one for instance.

Which 4GB DOK do you have?

dgriddle wrote:

2)Its enabled to write to the jump drive/memory stick 4gb

Good that was just a stab in the dark since you said it would not format earlier.

dgriddle wrote:

3)yes i can format the jump drive/memory stick is 4gb from windows

Now I am confused! In your first post you said the following:

dgriddle wrote:

What are the errors it reports when trying to format the DOK on your desktop computer?

You also say you can format it from normal windows format. There should be no difference formatting from the regular windows format utility and the HP format utility when done on the same machine. Your not trying to format the dok on the 5700 itself are you?

dgriddle wrote:

4)sp29705.exe

thanks !

sp29705.exe is I believe the correct image for a T5700. I only have T5710's so I can't say for sure perhaps someone else can confirm this but as I read through THIS THREAD it seems others have gotten it to work with 256MB of ram although 512 seems to be easier to deal with.

One thing I noted recently when working with an unformatted microdrive and CF adapter is that the TC would not recognise my usb when tring to boot up. I found I could get consistant results by not only turning off the power button but also removing and reinserting the power connector between boot ups.

rictic
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="VaHam]
sp29705.exe is I believe the correct image for a T5700. I only have T5710's so I can't say for sure perhaps someone else can confirm this
.[/quote]

Yes sir, you are correct, sp29705.exe is the one I used for my t5700...
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hp thin Client client t5700 will not recognize usb stick Reply with quote

dgriddle wrote:

Purchased the following

Any advice would help

Thanks

It looks like you got your answer, but wanted to make sure others who might read this refer to the minimum specs of my image. You need a 1gb flash module (or CF w/adapter) minimum to use my image.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, 4GB stick was not working while a 2 GB stick worked for creating the
flash image for my T5700.
I'm sure its got to do with FAT 32 and FAT. A 2GB stick's file system is FAT
so when you create the image for the 5700 it works but wont work on a 4GB
(or more) as those are FAT32.

A FAT32 won't be recognised as a bootable disk on the thin client as well.
Stick to the lower capacity USB sticks (atleaset for T5700) and you should be fine.
dgriddle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine to work with a 4gb stick i borrowd a buddy of mines stick and it worked, very wierd can not explain why
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: