magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client and Magic Jack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anant
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: considerations in the choice of Thin client Reply with quote

Hi everyone:
I am new to these Thin clients and this forum. I started reading the posts in this forum. Very exciting indeed. I finished up to 13 pages. I intend to read all in next couple of days. There is fund of knowledge in all these posts in this forum. Lots of hard work got into.
I have a few questions ( could be stupid and might have been answered by someone If so please pardon me)
For the purpose of the Thin Client (TC) just for the dedicated use with MJ.
1. Does the memory 256 (F)/256 (R) adequate ?
2. Does the processor speed matter? What should be the minimum speed?
3. Since MJ will be plugged into USB of TC, does it matter if TC supports supports only 1.1 and not 2.0
4. MJ Support upgrades MJ SW from time to time. How do we get these upgrades into TC ?
I am tempted to jump into this fray.

anant
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: considerations in the choice of Thin client Reply with quote

anant wrote:
Hi everyone:
I am new to these Thin clients and this forum. I started reading the posts in this forum. Very exciting indeed. I finished up to 13 pages. I intend to read all in next couple of days. There is fund of knowledge in all these posts in this forum. Lots of hard work got into.
I have a few questions ( could be stupid and might have been answered by someone If so please pardon me)
For the purpose of the Thin Client (TC) just for the dedicated use with MJ.
1. Does the memory 256 (F)/256 (R) adequate ? 512/512 is what I consider minimum, but 512 256 will work.2. Does the processor speed matter? What should be the minimum speed? I have never used one of the 800 MHz units it should work. I use the 1.2 & 1 GHz units. 3. Since MJ will be plugged into USB of TC, does it matter if TC supports supports only 1.1 and not 2.0 No the MJ will work with either 1.1 or 2.0 ports, at least for the time. With 1.1 you are picking the oldest thin client you can get and if MJ ever decided to enforce 1.1 you will be out of luck. I don't think they will ever do that, they want the biggest possible market but you never know, 1.1 is fast becoming a White Elephant.4. MJ Support upgrades MJ SW from time to time. How do we get these upgrades into TC ? The upgrades will take care of themselves, worst case you will have to unplug and reinstall the MJ to initiate the update.I am tempted to jump into this fray.

anant
anant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: order T5710 shipped - expected in next couple of days Reply with quote

Hi:

I have purchased T5710 on ebay last night NEW HP Thin Client T5710 XPe a 1.2GHz /512F/256R I got e-mail it is already shipped. I would expect it in next couple days. I paid $ 129 with free shipping. I could not find a used one at a lower price. May be I am very late in the game as prices soared up due to euphoria built up on this forum. I myself could not wait long enough to get lower price due to the excitement built up in this forum. If anyone is interested, the seller is Xtreme-ge on ebay.

May be this TC is adequate for my MJ use as a starting point. I need all the help I can get from this forum especially stalwarts like HolmanGT and many others like him. I am in the process of reading as many posts as I can. There is fund of knowledge in the many posts in this forum. The problem a newbie like me get into is where to start and how to proceed. If will be very beneficial if someone can lay down the necessary steps to get the TC-MJ running without reinventing the wheel.

anant
ret27m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anant
i bought the same unit from the same source as you. it will indeed be brand new never opened, they are really nice. i kept mine stock (1.2-512F/256R) and it worked perfectly using HolmanGT's .img. you wont be able to anything with it but run your magicjack unless you upgrade your ram to 512. i am quite literate with computers and XP but the thin client with XPe threw me for a bit of a loop until i was informed of a few tricks on how to get control the the operating system. HolmanGT squared me away, and i was up and running in no time. the folks on this site are very friendly and helpful, if there is any thing i can do to help you get started let me know. remember we get free long distance with magicjack so a helpful phone call is no problem.......Jim
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
anant
i bought the same unit from the same source as you. it will indeed be brand new never opened, they are really nice. i kept mine stock (1.2-512F/256R) and it worked perfectly using HolmanGT's .img. you wont be able to anything with it but run your magicjack unless you upgrade your ram to 512. i am quite literate with computers and XP but the thin client with XPe threw me for a bit of a loop until i was informed of a few tricks on how to get control the the operating system. HolmanGT squared me away, and i was up and running in no time. the folks on this site are very friendly and helpful, if there is any thing i can do to help you get started let me know. remember we get free long distance with magicjack so a helpful phone call is no problem.......Jim

Jim,

You're the man! "What goes around come around" a very nice way to make others feel this is not such an indifferent world after all.

Regards, and as far as the flowers you sent my way ... well thanks but Embarassed I like to pretend to be humble but I eat it up. Laughing
ret27m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...Geroge if it werent for you id still be scratchin my rear end wondering how to find the (My Computer) icon on my Thin Client. I cant keep my hands off of this thing, I want a 5720 now...... Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
lol...Geroge if it werent for you id still be scratchin my rear end wondering how to find the (My Computer) icon on my Thin Client. I cant keep my hands off of this thing, I want a 5720 now...... Laughing

I sold three units to a 67 year old still active Brokerage Agent. He just called me this morning and told me he had purchased two more and even opened one up to add more memory on his own.

What do you think - Should Thin Clients come with a warning that "many have found the purchase and fondling of same to be extremely addictive, use at your own financial and marital peril".
Laughing
ret27m

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES a warning may help some but when you tie it in with CUS (Computer upgrade Syndrome) people like myself are in big trouble, thank goodness my wife understands my sickness or I could be sitting on the curb. Razz
anant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: TC/MJ - General Reply with quote

Hi folks:

I have a couple of general questions.

1.What is the optimum placement of the TJ / MJ unit before the router ( in between cable modem and router) or connected directly to the router by ethernet cable ?

2.Has anyone checked the quality of the MJ in/out calls in the following situations.
a. MJ plugged into regular computer
b. MJ plugged into TC
c. ATA ( such as Innomedia) with MJ SIP credentials.

anant
ret27m

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I plug in at router and go straight to the TC, I found wireless connection to be a bit choppy.

2. a and b. I get the same quaility from a desktop, laptop or TC (awesome)

c. you lost me there im not sure what sip is...sorry Embarassed
anant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: uninstall sw on Sandisk cruiser micro 1GB- How can I check ? Reply with quote

Hi:

I have been struggling to uninstall software on my Sandisk cruiser micro 1GB.
So I used the website http://www.u3.com/uninstall/ and followed till the end. I did not get a finished msg.
How can I check if the sw is uninstalled ?

Some others should have done this before. I need comments. Is there any other easy way and how can we check after uninstall if it was uninstalled properly.

My trials:

I see at the Sandisk site:
------------------------------------------------------
STEP 2 - Remove U3 LaunchPad
1. Click the U3 icon on the System tray (located at the lower right corner of the screen).
2. Mouse over Settings and select U3 Launchpad Settings.
3. From the Uninstall tab, click Uninstall U3 Launchpad.
4. Click Next to begin.
5. Select Yes to restore data from the drive after it is re-formatted then click Format.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I could not see U3 icon in Step 2 and I could not proceed.
I further googled and found a forum wherein a poster said as follows.
tranxene
October 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
In order to get rid of these annoying U3 features, just download the w32 executable (http://www.u3.com/uninstall/) and run it on a win box. It will remove all U3 related stuff on the stick and the pc. This also affects the hidden partition on the USB device, which appears as hard drive.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
davrow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anant, it is just a storage card. Delete it and it is gone. No need to "uninstall", you cannot "install" something to a memory card.

If you want to be really, really, really sure... just format the USB cruiser.
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is great!!! Thanks guys for all the hard work. I want to get the MJ off my PC and move it to a TC. I see a lot of them on Ebay is there a preference ? I would assume 1.2g 512/512 would be the best but with the 1 gig work? The ram can be upgraded so I would not be concerned about that.

Also HolmanGT can I get a link to your image of XPe and the small version of xp so I am prepared when the client comes in.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
Wow this is great!!! Thanks guys for all the hard work. I want to get the MJ off my PC and move it to a TC. I see a lot of them on Ebay is there a preference ? I would assume 1.2g 512/512 would be the best but with the 1 gig work? The ram can be upgraded so I would not be concerned about that.

Also HolmanGT can I get a link to your image of XPe and the small version of xp so I am prepared when the client comes in.

512/512 is the best unless you plan on doing a whole lot of other things with it. Everyone says they will and never do so 512/512, is that sort of like "54,40 or Fight" no ignore that it is a whole different deal.

I will PM you the link, I have posted it someplace around here but I don't think that is a smart idea since I my network storage has some bandwidth limits and I have come pretty close to exceeding them at times. Confused
PTravel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
512/512 is the best unless you plan on doing a whole lot of other things with it. Everyone says they will and never do
Hey, hey, hey . . . I do! Smile

www.thinkclientforum.com
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
512/512 is the best unless you plan on doing a whole lot of other things with it. Everyone says they will and never do
Hey, hey, hey . . . I do! Smile

www.thinkclientforum.com

PT,

Actually on this forum their are a lot of people that use them for more than just running their MJ.

And I should have known better than to make such a black and white statement - it was almost a "Troll" though it was not meant to be. Embarassed
davrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel,

Well, the link is correct in your signature, so I guess it doesn't matter if it is misspelled in your message. Razz
gavilaso
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: MJ Shutting down Reply with quote

HI all, i don't know if i'm posting int he right place... I was reading all this post and i find the way to fix my fist problem that was that everytime i connected my MJ to the thin client i was getting a blue screen so i change the usb host drive to the standar now i have no problem.. BUT!!! now i have find out that yesterday and today when i pick up my phone there was no dial tone.. so i have to remove the MJ from the TC and rebote it and put back the MJ to the TC and i start working again... what do i need to do to make the MJ stop crashing or shitting down??? ah! when i try to start the MJ with out removing it and doing a restart, its tell me that i don't have the MJ connected!!!

can anyone help me out in here?/? i have a TC 5710 1Ghz 512/512 i have remove the unessesarie app and guess i fallow all the instructions!!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavilaso,

Did you go into the device manager and disallow power management for each USB Root Hub you have and your network card also. It is under power management when you do a properties on the items I mentioned.

What could be happening is thru the night, whenever, the devices sit idle long enough that the OS shuts them down to save power, your MagicJack does not like that and will throw a hissy over it.

Give it a try it only takes a couple of minutes.

PS - I do believe you have coined a new MagicJack technical term "Shitting Down". It has a familiar ring to it, I like it. Laughing

Last edited by HolmanGT on Sat May 16, 2009 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

Bought an HP t5710 512/512 from a seller on ebay that was preconfigured for magicJack. Got it today, plugged it in to the wall and the gateway, stuck the magicJack on the back and instant service. Did not have to hassle with anything to get it running. The seller includes TeamViewer on the system, so all I had to do was load TV on my desktop. Works like a champ!

Paid more that just buying an HP t5710 and doing my own configuration, but it was cheap enough (less than half the cost of an Ooma device,) and it sure was easy.

Seller still has three for sale at the same price. Would be glad to direct you to him.
manasota
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

smalcom wrote:
Bought an HP t5710 512/512 from a seller on ebay that was preconfigured for magicJack. Got it today, plugged it in to the wall and the gateway, stuck the magicJack on the back and instant service. Did not have to hassle with anything to get it running. The seller includes TeamViewer on the system, so all I had to do was load TV on my desktop. Works like a champ!

Paid more that just buying an HP t5710 and doing my own configuration, but it was cheap enough (less than half the cost of an Ooma device,) and it sure was easy.

Seller still has three for sale at the same price. Would be glad to direct you to him.

I did mine myself. I only have $80 in the way it sits with a 1gb/512. I use it for an internet terminal as well as hosting the MJ.
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

manasota wrote:
smalcom wrote:

I did mine myself. I only have $80 in the way it sits with a 1gb/512. I use it for an internet terminal as well as hosting the MJ.

With an 800Mhz processor and 512/512, the TC is too slow for anything other than MJ. Still happy with it.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

manasota wrote:
[I did mine myself. I only have $80 in the way it sits with a 1gb/512. I use it for an internet terminal as well as hosting the MJ.

Man, (pun intended I see remarks like this all the time. Would you please tell us how you did it so cheaply?

Typical: Thin Client 5710 $80, 1 GB Flash $20 and DDR 512 $30 bucks. In my ordinary calculator that comes up to $130 + $15 shipping.

I am in no way suggesting you didn't acquire yours for $80 dollars but you had to leave something out of the story. i.e. you had some ram laying around, a friend gave you the flash - you know, just some little detail you let out of "it only cost me $80 dollars to get it going".

When I was buying, configuring and updating memory and then re-selling them, I could have pulled it of if my cost had been only $80 dollars and then re-sell them I would not have been able to keep up with the demand. How ever the demand was not there because my price was by necessity $30 more than my cost which was $100 dollars for the unit (unit + shipping) and $50 dollars for memory to take it to 512/512 (and to this day I would still recommend 1GB/1GB for overall performance [MHO]). There were only a few people that either because of lack of experience with thin clients or just to save them selves having to deal with modifying the units picked up on mine.

I passed the (cough) business off to my daughter because she has a lot more patience than I do with only selling a unit now and then and I just help her by providing technical support to her customers.

PS - most of my comments were based the T5710, I did convert T5700 thru T5730 models. Some folks just like myself like having the "Top Draw" Thin Clients even though for MJ it is "Way Overkill". Wink
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
...Typical: Thin Client 5710 $80, 1 GB Flash $20 and DDR 512 $30 bucks. In my ordinary calculator that comes up to $130 + $15 shipping...

I bought my TC (HP 5710 800 MHz) with 512/512 magicJack ready (just "plug and play") with Team Viewer installed for $109.99 + $10.00 shipping. There is one now on ebay for $59.95 and one for $79.99. Granted, they are 256/256, but they will work, and can be upgraded later to 1GB/512 or whatever the user wants.

I agree with you, that it's way cheap, and it doesn't come along very often. Your cost is much closer to reality for creating a TC for the magicJack. Either way, it's still dirt cheap for phone service even with the extra hardware. As I said before, I'll put up with the less than stellar service for the cost of the thing (even factoring in the cost of a TC - it's cheaper than ooma.) Yes, there are glitches, but a re-boot of the TC and the gateway, or re-dialling the call usually solve the issue.
manasota
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
manasota wrote:
[I did mine myself. I only have $80 in the way it sits with a 1gb/512. I use it for an internet terminal as well as hosting the MJ.

Man, (pun intended I see remarks like this all the time. Would you please tell us how you did it so cheaply?

Typical: Thin Client 5710 $80, 1 GB Flash $20 and DDR 512 $30 bucks. In my ordinary calculator that comes up to $130 + $15 shipping.

I am in no way suggesting you didn't acquire yours for $80 dollars but you had to leave something out of the story. i.e. you had some ram laying around, a friend gave you the flash - you know, just some little detail you let out of "it only cost me $80 dollars to get it going".

When I was buying, configuring and updating memory and then re-selling them, I could have pulled it of if my cost had been only $80 dollars and then re-sell them I would not have been able to keep up with the demand. How ever the demand was not there because my price was by necessity $30 more than my cost which was $100 dollars for the unit (unit + shipping) and $50 dollars for memory to take it to 512/512 (and to this day I would still recommend 1GB/1GB for overall performance [MHO]). There were only a few people that either because of lack of experience with thin clients or just to save them selves having to deal with modifying the units picked up on mine.

I passed the (cough) business off to my daughter because she has a lot more patience than I do with only selling a unit now and then and I just help her by providing technical support to her customers.

PS - most of my comments were based the T5710, I did convert T5700 thru T5730 models. Some folks just like myself like having the "Top Draw" Thin Clients even though for MJ it is "Way Overkill". Wink

t5700 256/256 was $33.99 shipped w/ buy-it-now. $25 for the 1gb flash and less than $25 for the 512mb RAM. I'm going to drop another $50 into it for an expansion module and VGA because I use it for my primary internet appliance now. I don't even fire up my tower any more. Wink
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TC is the Answer! Reply with quote

manasota wrote:

t5700 256/256 was $33.99 shipped w/ buy-it-now. $25 for the 1gb flash and less than $25 for the 512mb RAM. I'm going to drop another $50 into it for an expansion module and VGA because I use it for my primary internet appliance now. I don't even fire up my tower any more. Wink

Well all I have to say is you must be one heck of a patient shopper to find such outrageously good deals, except for the flash and I think that is about the going rate right now. There was a time a few months back when Transcend was selling them for $17-$19. if I had known they were going to go back up I would of bought a few extra. Sad

And yes I can under stand using it in preference to your tower. I have a Dell XPS 720 tower and my T5710 will run circles around it for browsing and emil - heck for that matter even WEB videos.

I did however go out and buy an ACER Netbook at Costco and it has now become my primary machine. And if you are interested it does get the five hours of battery life that they claim - I have a dell laptope that with a portable wind generator gets about 30-40 minutes on a charge. Needless to say I don't use it much anymore either.

PS - your experience with your thin client is not unique, I think almost everyone that I have sold one to has immediately noticed and commented on the same thing - "Damn there fast".

Good luck on your "Green" adventure.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are coming down on the 5700 and that is all you need. I bought a 5700 for $45 shipped just a month ago and I have installed a 10 gb HD in it. The HD was from my junkbox. The cable to install it was $3 on ebay. I have a full up version of XP running on it and will be adding a 6.5" TFT monitor to it for another $40, so for under $100 I have the complete system and its going into my car to run, among other things, MJ through a WiFi USB device ($15) to an antenna on the roof.
manasota
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
and will be adding a 6.5" TFT monitor to it for another $40

WOW! Where can I get one for that price?
stroths

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manasota wrote:
jimisbell wrote:

Shouldn't be that hard to get one at that price off ebay. The challenge would be getting a touchscreen version for $40.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
manasota wrote:
jimisbell wrote:

Shouldn't be that hard to get one at that price off ebay. The challenge would be getting a touchscreen version for $40.

Well Mr. stroths, long time since we posted in the same thread, too long actually.

If you find a touch screen all setup not a screen that I have to put in a frame and find some bizarre obscure drivers and power supply for I would even go a tad-bit more than $40.
anant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Problem - MJ not loadiing softphone with Ready to Call Reply with quote

Hi Folks:

While my ATA's failed to register with the new MJ credentials, my MJ dongle plugged to my desktop is working well,
My MJ has been running well on my TC HP5710 512MB(F) and 256MB(R). From time to time, MJ application used to stop for not having enough RAM. Today I upgraded 256MB(R) with 512MB(R) and tried to run MJ with dongle plugged. The softphone comes up but not completely. It stops at a point with message on left panel > ATTENTION: Please wait for important upgrade within 60 seconds and in the middle panel Please connect to Internet and double click. It waits there for hours without proceeding to display " Ready To Call". I have internet on TC.

Is this due to any problem in my TC or does it have anything to do with the recent software upgrade of MJ a couple of days ago which affected many ATA'a.
Do anyone experience any such problem running MJ on TC? Any ideas? I am stuck here. Please help me.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the recent upgrade. Mine was doing that also....until I pulled a stupid trick and formatted the MJ by mistake. Now it doesnt work at all.

When the tecs at MJ try to get my MJ reloaded they keep telling me to do things that cut them off and when I get back its a different tech so I have to start over again. After 6 tries today I gave up. I will try again tomorrow if I feel like it. The problem is that my formatting somehow destroyed the "Removable disk" e: and when I try to do the upgrade I get an "Error broken storage". The techs tried to tell me how to reformat it but the properties are "zero used, zero available" so windows doesnt know what to format!!
anant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Problem - MJ not loadiing softphone with Ready to Call Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt response.

MJ works well on desktop. "My computer" of Desktop shows 2 MJ drives: one is E: and another is ( Vista only FSmile drive.

"My Computer" of TC has 2 MJ drives D: and (vista only E: ) drive.

I checked with another guy on the forum who uses MJ with TC. working perfectly for him. He has in his TC 2 MJ drives (DSmile and ( ESmile The E: drive he has is just E: not (Vista only ESmile as I have. He thinks I should format the E: drive and plug the MJ. It will either load sw properly or it may not work. It is risky that is what he said.

How do your MagicJack drives look like on your TC ? Do you have 2 MJ drives like D: and ( vista only ESmile as I have or both just D: and E: drives. Just curious.

What prompted you to format E drive ? If I do not format E drive what is the solution? Will the MJ folks fix the problem I have.

Will the tech folks at MJ talk to me if I tell them I am using MJ on TC? Will they support it?
Our discussion is helpful to me.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They support MJ on XP or VIsta.

DO NOT FORMAT the "removable drive" unless they tell you to. I accidentally formatted the entire MJ because I was not paying attention to what I was doing. When I tried to restore it by using the upgrade process it created the two drive system (mine is on XP so I dont get a Vista only drive) One is called "MagicJack" and the other is called "removable cd drive" or something similar. They are either D: and E: or E: and F: depending on which computer I am on. BUT right now the "removable drive" is not capable of being written to and the techs dont seem to be able to help because each one always wants me to click on the upgrade URL and that ALWAYS disconnects me from them and when I go back its a different tech who doesnt know what I have just been through so I try again, and again it disconnects. Its just a circle that I cannot get out of.

I repeat, do not format anything!!!!
anant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Problem - MJ not loadiing softphone with Ready to Call Reply with quote

The win software we use on TC is XPe and not XP. Will the MJ tech support XPe?

I will not format the drive as per your suggestion. How do the MJ folks restore MJ software on my system and make MJ work on my TC? Do you advise me to go to chat session with MJ tech floks. I know it is not a pleasant experience. You will be going in circles till you get a right person with tech knowledge.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP is what I tell them I am running. It isnt important to restoring the MJ itself...which is what I am trying to do. They will not help you to make it work on the TC, that is YOUR problem. But they will help to get the software restored to the MJ itself
anant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: MJ now runs on my TC with the help of MJ folks Reply with quote

Thanks JimisBell for all the help you have given me late last night.
I got into chat with MJ folks this evening. Now MJ is running on my TC. It took easily 4-5 hours before the problem is solved. I will give sequence of steps how it was done for your benefit and others on board.
When I started this eve. MJ on TC stuck with error 401 Msg says to restart MJ using Menu - Advanced users- Restart. I tried a few times . It did not work.
Got into chat. The technician moved me to another computer ( a desktop) where MJ always works with a Ready to Call. Clicking on MJ Upgrade icon on my screen, Mj stopped working with the same error 401 msg I got on TC. We struggled for some time. Now I have TC and desktop with same error 401.
A higher level technician ( Kenney) took over - wanted me to change lots of setting in the Norton firewalls. It became too complicated for both of us to communicate. We gave up on that. Finally he suggested that I should FORMAT both MJ drives on the desktop. I had E: drive and F: ( vista only drive). There is no option to format E drive. So I formatted F drive. He gave me a link to upgrade MJ sw ( which can handle both XP and Vista). After upgrading, and replugging MJ I got Ready to Call. Now Desktop problem which was created during chat is now fixed .
Now on TC:
I plugged MJ on TC which gave me the same 401 error msg. He suggested I should FORMAT the E drive ( vista only) and Run MJ upgrade sw. I did . I got Ready to call on TC. I made in/out calls. It worked.
Two crucial steps: 1 Format Vista only drive , upgrade MJ sw ( XP/Vista) .

The upgrade link looks like this I am not 100% sure.
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe.
My suggestio to you is: Reformat your vista only drive and upgrade with MJ sw and see your problem go away.
I am glad the problem we had is not due to any limitation with XPe. During these chats MJ folks would have done something ( change in settings) in their end also.

Good luck
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a "vista only" drive because I dont run Vista, I run XP. But after three hours today with second level help they decided to send me a NEW MJ and I will return this one to them. The only bad part is I lost my 100 name contacts list.

But in a week I will have a new one.
anant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: MJ now runs on my TC with the help of MJ folks Reply with quote

I am glad you got a solution to your problem. I also never had a vista comp but somehow ( might be I started with MJ long time ago) I had ( vista only drive) on my desk top. I never noticed on my TC till another guy from forum pointed out i have vista only drive which is the cause of my problems. I could only format that drive under the guidance of MJ folks.
Good to know that our MJ - TC problems are not due any limitations of XPe. I was afraid if that were the case, we have either to upgrade our TC with large chunk of F and R memory and update with full fledged Win XP sw or throw the TC out of windows LOL It takes lot more effort and skills to upgrade TC to run full fledged windows. I do not intend to use my TC for application other than MJ.

Wish you good luck.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you have a TC 5700, upgrading to full XP is easy. Just replace the flash drive with a 10 GB laptop HD and install XP. It fits without a problem in the TC 5700 because the heatsinks are smaller. I have done that to the TC I am installing in my car to run the OBD II, GPS, rear view camera, MagicJack, and audio systems. It took less than 2 hours to make the modification
Ryan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone has a little time to help me that would be great. I cant get MJ working. It didnt auto-install and I finally was able to get the update off the site to get the client up and running but any phone that is plugged in doesnt work at all. No dial tone, no talking. I did some searching and it looks like I need to move a file in the system32 folder on the C drive but I cant get into the C drive. It's a HP 5710.
brahmabullncsu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: ThinClient 5710 - No Phones Work Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
If someone has a little time to help me that would be great. I cant get MJ working. It didnt auto-install and I finally was able to get the update off the site to get the client up and running but any phone that is plugged in doesnt work at all. No dial tone, no talking. I did some searching and it looks like I need to move a file in the system32 folder on the C drive but I cant get into the C drive. It's a HP 5710.

I'm having the same issue...after dealing with 2nd level MJ techs for over an hour I admitted having a TC which I was then told they're not recommended so nothing could be done...the only reason I bought my TC on eBay was for this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I tried the MJ on my laptop which worked, but when in my TC, no phone works...
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TC's do not have USB Audio support by default, including the 5710. Without it, you can only use thesoftphone as the jack is non-functional. You need to install the USB Audio Drivers HERE and don't forget to commit the changes or you'll have to do it again after a restart. This should fix your issues. Report back and let us know.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: ThinClient 5710 - No Phones Work Reply with quote

brahmabullncsu wrote:
Ryan wrote:

I'm having the same issue...after dealing with 2nd level MJ techs for over an hour I admitted having a TC which I was then told they're not recommended so nothing could be done...the only reason I bought my TC on eBay was for this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you say "I can't get into the C drive" what do you mean? What is happening when you try and open the C drive?
brahmabullncsu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpman wrote:
Most TC's do not have USB Audio support by default, including the 5710. Without it, you can only use thesoftphone as the jack is non-functional. You need to install the USB Audio Drivers HERE and don't forget to commit the changes or you'll have to do it again after a restart. This should fix your issues. Report back and let us know.

That's exactly what it needed! Thanks!!!
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: ThinClient 5710 - No Phones Work Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
brahmabullncsu wrote:
Ryan wrote:

When you say "I can't get into the C drive" what do you mean? What is happening when you try and open the C drive?

He is probably not logged in as an Admin...C drive would be locked.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ThinClient 5710 - No Phones Work Reply with quote

Alpman wrote:
VaHam wrote:
brahmabullncsu wrote:
Ryan wrote:

He is probably not logged in as an Admin...C drive would be locked.

Yeah that is what I was wondering, if he knows how to get into admin; the install works better from there and he would be able to copy the files he needs too.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had made some changes on my TC a while ago don't exactly remember what, but after i rebooted the TC it now requires me to Log in as Administrator, which works.

my question is. is there a way to change it so that it doesn't ask for user and password b4 it fully starts.

thnx in advance.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulumbaa wrote:
I had made some changes on my TC a while ago don't exactly remember what, but after i rebooted the TC it now requires me to Log in as Administrator, which works.

my question is. is there a way to change it so that it doesn't ask for user and password b4 it fully starts.

thnx in advance.

Look in control panel for "HP Logon Manager". The settings in that are what your looking for I think.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx VaHam that was the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: