magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP Thin Client and Magic Jack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
Thanks, but I told the power company what my pc was and they gave me the price and broke it down in about 2 minutes they had the number for me. I was wondering because another poster on DSL Reports was talking about the cost to run the phone 24-7 and his rates seemed high. Turns out, the East coast, New York electric rates are about twice as high as mine in the Northwest. So, just depends where you are on that. I talked to Dan about it and he had a good point. He said it was cheaper in the long run to just keep the computer running ,as the hard drive and the power supply were usually the first things to go down and thats normally caused by turning it on and off alot.-So, if I keep it on all day and shut it down at night it means an extra $2.00 a month or $24.00 a year. This now brings my yearly phone cost to $44.00 a year-or $3.60 a month-sweet!

With all due respect to the power company ripoff artists, there is no substitute for measuring it yourself.

But, alas, not everyone wants to bother (and that is absolutely your prerogative) ... just giving you another cheap, accurate option.

testing123
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123,

I agree with you completely.

I have not seen one of those Power Meters in a long time. Would you mind sharing where you got it from? It looked new in the picture so I am assuming one of two things you recently purchased it or you are a "Neat Freak" and take real good care of you equipment. Laughing

HolmanGT - St. George, UT MJ-Area/Prefix 435-275
ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
Baja Broadband, up-1mb dn-10mb, on days with a good tail wind.
MJ on HP T5730 2GBF/2GBR Thin Client XPe SP2 Router Dlink Dir-655
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
testing123,

I agree with you completely.

I have not seen one of those Power Meters in a long time. Would you mind sharing where you got it from? It looked new in the picture so I am assuming one of two things you recently purchased it or you are a "Neat Freak" and take real good care of you equipment. Laughing

The pic was from SuperMediaStore.com -- I either got one from SuperMediaStore OR Buy.com ... can't remember.

I was a special that appeared on Bensbargains.net -- something like $14.99 w/ free shipping about a year ago.

I love this thing -- I can immediately tell EXACTLY how much electricity something is using ... and, for example figure out if I am working a Power Supply too hard after some upgrades.

So it helps with Electrical Consumption/$$ and determining if Hard Drives or other components need to be mounted in their own chassis ... (for those smart*sses that will respond "buy a bigger power supply", I am actually referring to other devices like DVRs that come with hard drives that you can upgrade; but don't have upgradeable power supplies or even embedded PCs that use tiny power adapters.)

testing123
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this thing work and if it shows me using less then what my bill shows then what? Will the power company come out and read it again and adjust my bill, give me a refund or credit me or will they tell me that their real expensive equipment is right and my $20.00 Radio Shack meter is wrong? Have you had this happen, a dispute on the usage? How was it handeled?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
How's this thing work and if it shows me using less then what my bill shows then what? Will the power company come out and read it again and adjust my bill, give me a refund or credit me or will they tell me that their real expensive equipment is right and my $20.00 Radio Shack meter is wrong? Have you had this happen, a dispute on the usage? How was it handeled?

Dude, it does NOT measure all the electricity being consumed in your house ... it is very helpful in giving YOU an idea exactly how much electricity your individual electronics (up to 15Amps) are consuming -- at least that is what this cheap model does. Ever wonder if your super-overclocked-pc is REALLY using more electricity than a lightbulb? Well wonder no more.

Tells you Voltage (helpful to see if you are having brownouts or surges), amperage, Wattage, Hertz, KWH etc. etc. etc. Digital Readout accurate to tenths I believe.

Some who live in power-outage/natural disaster prone areas who often have to use generators may be interested because you can get an idea if you are within the operating range of your generator.

Again, if it is not for you, don't bother with it. But then again I am trying to get here (be your own power company {and get the electric company to pay YOU}) ... you sir, probably are not ... Cheers.

testing123
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman,

You have to be kidding SaxMan - who ever argued with a power company and won or any utility for that matter. Rolling Eyes

Besides the Electrical meter they hang on the side of your house is a pretty fancy and very accurate metering system. I don't think I would want to go up against a Power Company with my $20 dollar hand held instrument. Those things are really meant to estimate electrical consumption, not be the last word on the actual amount being used.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
gooney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:

Does your electric company have a website? they should show you how to read your meter, i have an option that is sent with my electric bill to dispute the meter numbers if i think its wrong. They used to come out and read the meter thats in the back of my house... a few months ago they installed something back there so they can just scan it from the street without getting out of thier car, lazy bums lol... I think its more accurate this time then before.

gooney - Salt lake City, UT (801)
Don't mind me grammar cuzz it sukks!!
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes-chill dudes-lol-of course you can't get the power to admit overbilling mistakes-Christ, I had a big outdoor hot tub running 24-7 year around and I used to dispute the bills from time to time-they were big! Now, at that time I could have used some kind of a gauge to double check their readings but they never beat me as far as I could tell. It would be nice to check the juice though just to get an idea. The pc don't matter. I did catch my phone company a few weeks back. My pc was running slow , since I quit their phone service and got the stand alone DSL, noticed a drop in speed. I called them and they said oops! Your not presently running 1.5 mb. -They had me reboot the modem and bingo, she reset the thing and put it back to 1,5-much better-tech error or sabotage for quitting their landline? who knows
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney,

Down here in the southern part of Utah they have the radio gadgets on the Water and Electric and some guy comes screaming around once a month on a motorcycle with a gadget that looks like a walkie-talkie collecting water and electric readings (at least I think he does both who knows there may be some other guy that comes around also).

I just found out they put them on the water when I wanted to turn the main off and couldn't get the damn radio gadget out of the way.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579

Last edited by HolmanGT on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey 1234-test-"you sir, probably are not ... Cheers." what's this mean? Are you just being a smart ass or funny?- How do you know what I do?-you may want keep your stowed. I could care less about how many pennies a day my pc uses. It's definetly not worth taking the time to measure such a small output. I use Network switches and a booster and they use virtually nothing per day.I live on the Columbia River Gorge on the Washington side. Wind power is used alot as the wind blows evey day in some areas. For someone wanting to produce electrical power to sell, this area is ideal and the sun and wind are already suppling many people here.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman,

I don't know if it was intentional cutting your speed back, but I know they hate people that just keep the DSL and not the phone. Back in the day you couldn't do that, just keep DSL but I think the Government got after them for that practice and made them allow people to do that.

Give-em Hell Sax's

PS - you really can argue with the power reading but you have to have some professionals come out with some damn fancy equipment and prove their meter wrong. But to pursue that ain't cheap. And if there meter is correct you get to pay for all the testing - Ouch!

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holman-yea-if I still owned a home with a power suckin hot tub, I would have it checked but I'm in a apartment now and it's good the juice. All double panned everything and plenty of insulation. Well, for this area. The places out West would never work in the Midwest and East. The insulation is about half as thick here as there.

About the DSL-funny story-I told it in another thread here somewhere but last week I had some downloads going and left the pc runnin all night. I wake up and the internet is off. I checked everything as I just added a network switch and the Broadband Booster and thought maybe something inline had gone South on me. It was all good but the modem internet light was out. Because I have a internet phone I had to go to the store to call the phone company to get DSL tech support. The guy actually laughed when I told him I had to go to the store to call because I had no internet. Thought that was funny because I shut off my phone from them a few weeks ago, and your right, they don't like providing stand alone dsl so people can run their VOIP phones. They said the "computer shut off my internet for no reason at all! A mistake. and "We are really sorry" chuckle chuckle!-sure they are-I was not behind in the bill and there was just no reason why it was shut off. They said it would be back on in two hours. It was.

Now, when I called Qwest to cancel the phone and keep the DSL they said that I was breaking the Price For Life Contract by doing that. So, they raised my dsl price by 10.00 more a month, to $36.00 because I broke the deal.I have one more year left on this deal then I will drop them and go to cable where I can get much faster cable for $43.00 a month. I can go from 1.5 mb to 7 mb for for $7.00 more bucks a month! If I want to quit their contract now it would cost me 300.00 fee for quitting early.-So, I'll wait the year. But Yea-I say their messin with me for using "their" line for MJ-first they drop the speed in half and say it was an error-then their "computer" "accidently" shuts me down completely. I think they should let me out of the deal without the 300 fee due to their bad service. They are breaking the contract by not keeping the line running.I may have to call my little sister-she's a lawyer.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman,

I am certainly sympathetic about having someone mess with your broad band connection. I have 6mbps cable and the only way I would ever go back to 1.5mbps DSL is at gun point.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
gooney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
saxman,

I am certainly sympathetic about having someone mess with your broad band connection. I have 6mbps cable and the only way I would ever go back to 1.5mbps DSL is at gun point.

lol yup

gooney - Salt lake City, UT (801)
Don't mind me grammar cuzz it sukks!!
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol-that good eh? Man, that say's alot for sure. I can't wait; to be honest with ya; because I do lots of downloads it's going to make things a little easier. Well' I got the phone audio dialed in using the braodband booster, I won't need that with cable. I can't bitch, my phone's working good and it's surprising that people would be happy to go so much slower with DSL. Hopefully Comcast dosen't jack the rates way up in the next year. Ya know, it's getting real expensive to watch tv anymore. We need Dan to get us a cheap signal-say $29.00 a year for 300 channels-that's fair don't ya think?-Magic Jack Television-(you think your phone bleeps now! hahahah)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 3 of 43

Jump to: