magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP Thin Client and Magic Jack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heritage227
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge,

I would imagine any old computer that would run XP sp2 would work fine as a stand alone MJ system.

The thing about thin clients.....So I've read, Is they hardly use any power at all. Only consuming Supposedly 25% of a regular computer.

I used to leave my main computer on 24/7 but my wife was convinced the electric bill would go down if I shut it off every night Laughing

Time will tell.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge,

George, I don't think you would ever notice any additional loading on your router and most of the time the MJ machine is coasting and when it is work to run MJ it is only using 80kbps, which is nothing to most router.

I feel about the same way on the electricity, don't think you would notice much difference.

Now here is my reason for wanting to run MJ on the Thin Net:
1.No moving parts to wear out
2.No fans to make noise and for me a big point here is have you ever looked at the internal fans and general interior of your Big machine after say six months of continuous running, I am sure your wile is a great house keeper (clean and all) but you won't believe the dust and crap in the machine on the components, heat sinks and rapped around the leading edge of the fans.

I don't know where all the crap comes from but the amount of it is staggering. I am always concerned about degrading the efficiency of the heat sinks and wearing the fans out at an early age because of the extra load all that crap on the fan blades presents.

I do have my Hard Drive set to shut down after an hour of inactivity, and for my XP machines that always seemed to take care of my concerns about unnecessary wear on them - BUT - Vista never seems to leave my C: drive alone long enough for it to shut down and the few times it does it is not shut down for long before Vista feels obligated to go out and check something and up comes the HD for another hour.

I am not paranoid they really are out to get me.

HolmanGT - St. George, UT MJ-Area/Prefix 435-275
ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
Baja Broadband, up-1mb dn-10mb, on days with a good tail wind.
MJ on HP T5730 2GBF/2GBR Thin Client XPe SP2 Router Dlink Dir-655
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot heratige and holman, I was not aware that a thin client only wasted 25% electricity of a regular pc and for holmanGT: you have to see how much money I spend on those cans of compressed air. Surprised ,they are like 4 to 5 bucks and I use them to clean out the dust that forms on my cpu's heat sink,I repair computers for family and friends(and the friends of their friends) some of which have not been open or cleaned for years,some are so bad that I waste the whole can on one pc. keeping your pc clean and cool will increase speed and reliability for years,now excuse me I have to convince the wife that my experiment will only increase our bill by a small amount,wish me luck! Laughing
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:
thanks alot heratige and holman, I was not aware that a thin client only wasted 25% electricity of a regular pc and for holmanGT: you have to see how much money I spend on those cans of compressed air. Surprised ,they are like 4 to 5 bucks and I use them to clean out the dust that forms on my cpu's heat sink,I repair computers for family and friends(and the friends of their friends) some of which have not been open or cleaned for years,some are so bad that I waste the whole can on one pc. keeping your pc clean and cool will increase speed and reliability for years,now excuse me I have to convince the wife that my experiment will only increase our bill by a small amount,wish me luck! Laughing

Ahh I don't think that dust will shorten the life of the computer....but i could be wrong... I do know for sure that it does make the compute heat up more, which also usually doesn't matter sicne you usually don't hit the max temp if your computer isn't running 24/7. But dust is not the only thing you needa get out over time... Most computer manufactures put thermal paste that is bull shit. I ALWAYS take that stuff out and put Arctic Silver Paste. My CPU temp had went down 10 c when I did replace the paste. Finally, about using a whole can of compressed air....I think that you usually can get out the big stuff with a paper towel or those wet clothe things.....or a vacuum (highly not recommended). Just wanted to point out that dust is not an only factor of a computers heat. On the otherside for running the computer 24/7 I think it costs about $10 a month to keep an average computer running 24/7. I do not know about these thin clients though.
Peace
Kumar
P.S
... pc clean and cool will increase speed and reliability for years.... Speed can not really be increased.... Keeping it cool makes it run like new.... but dust which heats up teh computer slows down the CPU. So speed isn't really being increased.... just kinda restored.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
Heritage227,

I notice that you said you have a T5720. I ordered a 5710, but I wished I had ordered a 5720 for the extra USB ports and it looks like it has much better ventilation.

Does yours get hot at all. Looking at the 5710 it doesn't have near the ventilation that yours does.

Dam, I am usually not cheap when it comes to buying toys but this time I was. I don't even have it yet and I am already regretting my decision.

Also the one I purchased only has 256/256 of memory do you think that will be adequate for MagicJack? Also is it possible for the end user to up the memory like a regular computer?

Thanks,

I just bought a couple of the 256 T7510s also in looking around the best price I found for expansion memory is Thin Client T5710 Memory
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam,

Thank you very much for the link - I'm off to find the wizard ... now that is another movie, I am off to purchase some right now the link that heritage posted on the how to(s) of thin net said 512 makes a hell of a big difference.

I can't wait to get my 5710, I emailed the guy I bought it from and it was put in the mail yesterday - so now we are talking patience something I know nothing about. Very Happy

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579

Last edited by HolmanGT on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
VaHam,

Thank you very much for the link - I off to find the wizard ... now that is another movie, I am off to purchase some right now the link that heritage posted on the how to(s) of thin net said 512 makes a hell of a big difference.

I can't wait to get my 5710, I emailed the guy I bought it from and it was put in the mail yesterday - so now we are talking patience something I know nothing about. Very Happy

Your Welcome for the link! I intend to try the 5710 with 256 to start and if it works ok then I'll keep it cheap. Even at the low price of memory enhancement it would be half what I paid for the 5710. If it doesn't work out well or I decide to more with the 5710 than serve MJ then I will consider upping the memory then.

I read with great interest the link information heritage posted also and got excited about the use of the 5710 as a simple internet appliance. I have two older sisters who would like to be able to browse and use online email but are not and will never be very techie. One of them has an old windoz box and drives me crazy with questions like "this box popped up and said to update windoz......what should I do" Smile I got to thinking that I may be able to really lock down these thin clients and keep an image backup in case the worst happened to them I could just have them insert the stick and rebuild the system. I may try and play with remote administration also but don't intend to invest in any special server to do so unless I can figure out how to write one myself. If all this really works out well then I'll buy another one for my other sister and dump her windoz box too.

If this stuff catches on watch the price of 5710s go up on eBay Smile
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For remote assistance try the TeamView (Client only) on the 5710. It is tiny works well on my XP laptop and it is free for non-commercial use.

Really Great program and it knows how to walk thru Firewalls.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

PS - Heritage's brother uses it on a 256/256 unit so you shouldn't have any problem.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579

Last edited by HolmanGT on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
For remote assistance try the TeamView (Client only) on the 5710. It is tiny works well on my XP laptop and it is free for non-commercial use.

Really Great program and it now knows to walk thru Firewalls.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

PS - Heritage's brother uses it on a 256/256 unit so you shouldn't have any problem.

Thanks for the info. I have used Remote Desktop before to help out friends remotely but it is always a pain working thru firewalls. I just downloaded TeamView and will try it out asap.

I thought if I could get PXe working across the internet it would allow complete control by being able to reload their entire OS. Never tried to use DNSmasq to intercept DHCP before and not sure if it will work on a different subnet; but it is fun looking into it. Of coarse I'd have to add a router which included DNSmasq or the like such as the dd-wrt buffalo I run here to direct the operation.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam,

I can almost promise you will like TeamView.

I have tried and used them all - VNC, Dameware, Remote assistance, PC-anywhere, etc. Oh ya and trying to make any of these connect from Vista to XP is just insane.

TeamView, has the smallest foot print, and simplest UI and walks thru Firewalls like they are not even there.

One setup item I would suggest is to apply a fixed password when you install it that way it will not ask you to supply the password on the remote client that it generates for each session. Which also may be hard to read if you don't have a monitor hooked up to the 5710. Rolling Eyes

PS - all you should have to put on the remote client is the QClient (I think that is what they call it) and it is so small I don't see how it even works.

PS2 - Did you happen to notice the price of this TeamView, it is one of the more expensive remote control programs I have ever seen so much so that I gave them a call just to see what the hook was allowing non-commercial use for free (totally the honor system). The guy I spoke to just said it was a marketing strategy and there is no hooks or timeouts on the program. They even send me emails when there is a new version, hell some of the stuff I have paid for is not that considerate.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
The remote control program that I have been using lately is Crossloop, available at http://www.crossloop.com. It is based on VNC. It requires an invitation and a confirmation in order to gain admittance. My clients like that. It's small and quick. It works on any flavor of Windows from Win2K up. Oh, yeah; it's FREE!
Give it a try.

Donn

These opinions are strictly my own. However, if you really want them, we can negotiate.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power rates here in the Northwest are less then the East but I called them and they told me it would cost me about 3-4 dollars more a month to run my pc 24-7-I shut it off at night so I'm looking at half that or about an extra 24 dollars a year-not bad! Question-as far as by-passing the use of a pc to run MJ, I use a network switch now because I added the Hawking Broadband Booster. If the dsl cable and the phone were both plugged into the switch would the phone work? If not why?Excuse my ignorance on this but it would be nice to not have to use the pc to run the phone.(the switch has ethernet ports, so the cable would need to be converted from usb to ethernet)
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
The power rates here in the Northwest are less then the East but I called them and they told me it would cost me about 3-4 dollars more a month to run my pc 24-7-I shut it off at night so I'm looking at half that or about an extra 24 dollars a year-not bad! Question-as far as by-passing the use of a pc to run MJ, I use a network switch now because I added the Hawking Broadband Booster. If the dsl cable and the phone were both plugged into the switch would the phone work? If not why?Excuse my ignorance on this but it would be nice to not have to use the pc to run the phone.(the switch has ethernet ports, so the cable would need to be converted from usb to ethernet)

If you are curious enough to want to know how much electricity your electronics are actually using ... buy one of these (Kill-a-Watt $20) -- works great.

testing123
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I told the power company what my pc was and they gave me the price and broke it down in about 2 minutes they had the number for me. I was wondering because another poster on DSL Reports was talking about the cost to run the phone 24-7 and his rates seemed high. Turns out, the East coast, New York electric rates are about twice as high as mine in the Northwest. So, just depends where you are on that. I talked to Dan about it and he had a good point. He said it was cheaper in the long run to just keep the computer running ,as the hard drive and the power supply were usually the first things to go down and thats normally caused by turning it on and off alot.-So, if I keep it on all day and shut it down at night it means an extra $2.00 a month or $24.00 a year. This now brings my yearly phone cost to $44.00 a year-or $3.60 a month-sweet!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman,

Did they take into account the power conservation of the modern PC (My bet is they didn't). When the hard drives spin down and the monitory goes into standby mode the power consumption can drop a significant amount.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 2 of 43

Jump to: