magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP T5730
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: HP T5730 Reply with quote

I just got an HP T5730 and was hoping to use some of the suggestions on this forum to use it with my MJ. It is new, never used. I trust the guy it came from. No box or docs other than where to mount it, etc. Got it from the public library and the supervisor told me that there is some kind of hardware registration involved with setting it up. In bios it is not showing any flash (value of "0"). I opened it up and am not sure which component is the flash, but it looks just like any pics I could find via Google. I've searched this forum and Googled all afternoon and can't find any info that applies. Went to the Thin Client Forum courtesy of PTravel but something is wrong there, can't get past the first page; none of the links work. HP site does not mention (at least I can't find it) a registration process. I'm wondering if this "registration" is needed for the flash to be recognized by bios????? Other than reading stuff you all have written I am new to this devise.

Any help is appreciated.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash is a small pcb about 1" x 2" with a 44 pin laptop-sized IDE connector on one side. The IDE slot for the flash is right at the end of the PCI expansion slot, in the corner of the motherboard. You can get a replacement off eBay, TigerDirect, or other places for around $25 or so, if yours is missing.

I just got a T5730 too, but am not going to keep it. I opened it up to check what sort of flash it uses. Sorry I can't help with the image installation, I've never done that on an HP unit. I don't believe there's any registration required to use the box or install a fresh image, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'd expect if the bios isn't showing an installed drive, yours is missing.

By any chance could you take a look at your thin client and tell me if there's a Windows XPe COA sticker anywhere (on the case or the pull-out sticker tab)? Mine doesn't have one and I've gotten mixed information about whether there should be one.

Mike
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:

By any chance could you take a look at your thin client and tell me if there's a Windows XPe COA sticker anywhere (on the case or the pull-out sticker tab)? Mine doesn't have one and I've gotten mixed information about whether there should be one.

Mike

Actually I have several of these and none have stickers at least on the outside. I have a neoware apart on the bench and it has a sticker on the flash board. By the way you are right, the flash is missing on the 5730.

Last edited by StrobeWylan on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a brand new HP T5710 three years ago in a sealed HP box and mine had no sticker. You don't need to register them like Windows XP or Vista or 7. No CD Key needed. You can just get a new copy of xpe from the HP web if needed.
Comcast
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I opened up the 5730 I found no sticker inside either. Do they put them on the flash? I'm new to these thin clients so all is a learning experience for me. All my documentation is in reference to using them as work stations, not stand alones.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ezRemote manager on an XP desktop. Was trying to view/change the properties etc. but the passwords they gave me do not access the TC. The TC's do show up as being on the network. I'm wondering (as a complete newby on these) if I can format a flash and start over installing XPe. If so can it be done without knowing the Admin password?
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaining Administrator Access

1) To gain access to the Administrator account so you can make changes you’ll need to hold down the shift key and go to the Start button and select log off. Keep the shift key depressed and the TC will then present you with a normal log on box.

2) In this logon box enter Administrator as both user and password. The TC will then log in as Administrator.

3) Next go into control panel and go to the "HP Login Manager". Change the Default User Name to Administrator and the Default User Password to Administrator as well. Just leave the Default Domain blank for now and click OK.

4) Now go to the EWF Configuration in control panel and select “Commit Data to Volume”. This will make the changes to logon on as Administrator persist; otherwise if you just rebooted the TC would revert to the setting you had at the last boot up. This is what EWF is all about. Any changes you make are just temporary when EWF is running and do not get permanently entered into the c: flash drive’s data unless you instruct EWF to do so by committing data to the volume.

Ok so we have now set the TC to auto logon as Administrator and made the settings permanent. Now you can go to the start button and select restart. The TC should restart and log back on as Administrator automatically.

This was originally posted by Vaham
Comcast
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd difference, all the Wyse TCs I've seen have the COA. HP support also apparently doesn't know there's no COA, not that that surprises me. It's not on the flash either, just an Apacer sticker.

With the Wyse TCs, installing a fresh image overwrites any existing Windows passwords and replaces the admin with their standard default password. I'd expect the same to hold for the HP, since the password is a Windows feature. There's some sort of authentication built into the install, but it's in an accompanying file that installs, and doesn't require active authentication or reference to an external license number, like a regular XP installation.

Disk formatting is part of the Wyse install as well, probably the same with HP.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I tried that a few days ago. I'll try again tomorrow. I think that since they changed both admin user name and password it didn't work.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
It's not on the flash either, just an Apacer sticker.

Not sure what an Apacer sticker is.

spoolin01 wrote:
installing a fresh image overwrites any existing Windows passwords and replaces the admin with their standard default password.

Is that booting from usb to install?
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever use ezRemote manager to do this stuff?
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrobeWylan wrote:
spoolin01 wrote:
It's not on the flash either, just an Apacer sticker.

Not sure what an Apacer sticker is.

spoolin01 wrote:
installing a fresh image overwrites any existing Windows passwords and replaces the admin with their standard default password.

Is that booting from usb to install?

Apacer makes flash modules for Wyse and HP. I mostly use the Wyse networked installer, but the usb boot-installer does the same thing. The method of installation is to overwrite the disk with an entire image, not just selective files, so any OS-level settings like admin or user passwords or other information is overwritten. I think with Wyse, even the BIOS is overwritten. It should work the same with the HP. I'm not an IT person, but I've been able to make this work by just accessing info on the net.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:

Apacer makes flash modules for Wyse and HP. I mostly use the Wyse networked installer, but the usb boot-installer does the same thing.

Sounds like Wyse networked installer and ezRemote manager may be similar.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
Gaining Administrator Access

2) In this logon box enter Administrator as both user and password. The TC will then log in as Administrator.

I thought I tried this last week, but I think I was using the user/password that the library told me. I just tried again using Administrator/Administrator and it worked! Thanks to all you folks including Vaham.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all. Got Magicjack working on a Neoware TC.

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: