magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Sygate and MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spydox
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: HP Sygate and MJ Reply with quote

I have a T5710 1.2/512/512 with the latest XPe i. flashed last nite.

I know the forum sticky said to disable Sygate, which may be the best option. But I've been trying to convince Sygate to allow MJ, and its one of the worst firewall editors I've ever seen.

The MJ install went OK. But when it runs it says its being blocked. If I disable Sygate it sorta 1/2-a$$ed works (the PC mic and speaker can be used to call, but the phone has no dialtone..

The main panel says the Magicjack USB Softphone is one of the active aps. Cool, it knows it's there. A bubble keeps popping up saying the ap is blocked.

So I go into ADVANCED RULES and APPLICATIONS, and the stupid firewall doesn't even LIST MJ! DOH! Its under \Documents and Settings (a little odd that) but every ap in the list seems to be under \windows. And I see no way to enter a path. Oddly, if I hit BROWSE, the directory Application Data is not even in the list although it shows up in Explorer.

I'd love meet the brite spark that wrote this code- it recognizes the ap running, but offers no way to edit the rules for it. And if I right-click the ap icon, there is no UNBLOCK option.

DOH!

Im reluctant to just jump in and try another firewall since I dont know if it will even fit in my 512 without more finagelling..

. And who knows what new problems that will present?

Evil or Very Mad
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I couldn't figure out how to let Sygate let some applications through. In the end, I just removed Sygate as I'm behind a router/firewall (should I be?). Is not having a firewall an option for you?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat routers are de facto inbound firewalls, and do a great job of keeping the scanners and probers out. A good virus protector will trap most other uglies that you invite in, and a good trojan protector will quash any Trojan Horses you happen to invite in.

The only thing you might need an outbound firewall for is to protect against programs that you need to keep installed (like Firefox or Media Player or Windows) phoning home without your permission. In this case, if you aren't technically adroit enough to manage hosts and routes tables (most of us are not good enough), you might need an outbound firewall to help you change those settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: