magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOWTO: OpenWRT MJMD5 w/Multiple ATA's & Screenshots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
az1324 wrote:
Yes sorry that was just a proof of concept. I don't have any of the router toolchains installed but someone who compiled the source before can modify and compile it again doing what I said about rewriting the port.

You could also try different proxy cities as suggested.

Thanks, I have no idea how to do it in DD-WRT I have posted a request in the dd-wrt thread., Please look at it and correct it if i made any mistakes in my postins.,

By the way I tried Scareye's method of using multiple proxies in the router., Its not working for me at this point i am not sure if it is an issue with the router or it has to do something with multiple instances mjproxy. I am hoping it is MJPROXy as I got this router specifically for this and I hope this issue is corrected as soon as possible.

Have you tried using different SIP proxy as I mentioned above and in my tutorial?

If you have:

5070 freetalk1.newyork.whatever.com

the second one you should try

5071 fretalk1.newjersey.whatever.com

Thanks,
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
az1324 wrote:
Yes sorry that was just a proof of concept. I don't have any of the router toolchains installed but someone who compiled the source before can modify and compile it again doing what I said about rewriting the port.

You could also try different proxy cities as suggested.

Thanks, I have no idea how to do it in DD-WRT I have posted a request in the dd-wrt thread., Please look at it and correct it if i made any mistakes in my postins.,

By the way I tried Scareye's method of using multiple proxies in the router., Its not working for me at this point i am not sure if it is an issue with the router or it has to do something with multiple instances mjproxy. I am hoping it is MJPROXy as I got this router specifically for this and I hope this issue is corrected as soon as possible.

Have you tried using different SIP proxy as I mentioned above and in my tutorial?

If you have:

5070 freetalk1.newyork.whatever.com

the second one you should try

5071 fretalk1.newjersey.whatever.com

Thanks,
ScarEye

Yeah its not working., That was my first try
jaybob413
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Looking for IXP422 binary (not MIPSEL) Reply with quote

I am running OpenWRT 8.09 on an IXP422 based box. Just wondering if anyone has built a binary for this, or if I need to get the source and install the toolchain to build one.

I hate to go through all the effort to set it up if it has already been done.

Update:
Decided to just go ahead and build it myself.
Here is the link if anyone else is running an IXP4XX OpenWRT box. This was compiled with the 8.09 toolchain.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?02zky2umzmj

Last edited by jaybob413 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
completetech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so multiple MJ's are or ARE NOT working on this?

and if so is it going to be possible to get this working again with asterisk????
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scareye,

I have updated my router now to OpenWRT Still multiple MJ's are not working same issue., How is it working for you... THis is really odd I can make only outgoing calls but not recv any., I am not sure if there is any iptables command which u forgot to mention in ur post. Can you please tell me if everything is correct.

Thanks
Steve
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

I have updated my router now to OpenWRT Still multiple MJ's are not working same issue., How is it working for you... THis is really odd I can make only outgoing calls but not recv any., I am not sure if there is any iptables command which u forgot to mention in ur post. Can you please tell me if everything is correct.

Thanks
Steve

I have no special iptable rules. Everything I did is in the tutorial. The only thing that is different here is our ATA's I am using GT-286's for both accounts. It's been up and running for a few weeks without any issues.

Have you tried doing one account at a time? Just try with one MJPROXY instance and see if you can make and receive calls and then setup the second one.

Thanks
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks
Steve

I have no special iptable rules. Everything I did is in the tutorial. The only thing that is different here is our ATA's I am using GT-286's for both accounts. It's been up and running for a few weeks without any issues.

Have you tried doing one account at a time? Just try with one MJPROXY instance and see if you can make and receive calls and then setup the second one.

Thanks
ScarEye

Scareye,

There is no issue for 1 account if i run it in port 5070 but the moment i switch one account to port 5071 then calls goto vm and ata also rings.

Noproblem making outgoing calls though and i am running on an spa 2102

Steve
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks
Steve

Thanks
ScarEye

Scareye,

There is no issue for 1 account if i run it in port 5070 but the moment i switch one account to port 5071 then calls goto vm and ata also rings.

Noproblem making outgoing calls though and i am running on an spa 2102

Steve

Your second account, your ATA is listening on 192.168.1.1:5071? Please make sure of this.
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, As i told before my ATA is ringing as well as it is going to to the VM (For the person who calls it goes immedeatly while my ATA is still ringing) simultaneously as stated in my previous post. My settings are correct in the ATA
az1324
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is going to come down to specific ATAs and how they implement certain parts of the SIP protocol. You might get lucky and get an ATA that works, but seems more common that they won't unless you implement the changes that I stated. Do you have a windows computer that you can test the proxy I posted just to see if that resolves the problems?
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

az1324 wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is going to come down to specific ATAs and how they implement certain parts of the SIP protocol. You might get lucky and get an ATA that works, but seems more common that they won't unless you implement the changes that I stated. Do you have a windows computer that you can test the proxy I posted just to see if that resolves the problems?

When I double click your exe its just opening a cmd prompt and flashing and going away, Do I also still need the old mJproxy.

By the way what does the exe you built do., I meant does it become a service or how do i remove it.., etc

Steve
az1324

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah it's a command line application so you need to either run it from the command prompt or create a shortcut and edit it like this:

Target: "C:\MJMD5CL\MJMD5CL.exe" proxy01.xxxx.talk4free.com 5070 LISTENPORT PASSWORD
kp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found to work is using network aliases.
I have a linux server running in my lan which i am using for as the proxy but similar commands should work on DD/OPENWRT

to create the alias:
Code:
ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.10 up
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.11 up
ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.0.12 up

then start up the proxies like so:
Code:
mjproxy 192.168.0.10 5070 proxy01.CITY.talk4free.com 5070 PASSWORD1
mjproxy 192.168.0.11 5070 proxy01.CITY.talk4free.com 5070 PASSWORD2
mjproxy 192.168.0.12 5070 proxy01.CITY.talk4free.com 5070 PASSWORD3

of course replace eth0 with your interface (i believe it is br0 on the routers) and the ips with ones within your subnet.

This method works for me and i am able to run 6 magic jacks at once Smile
Hope this helps everyone
az1324

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah aliases should work too. 6 mj's? You running a call center or what?

Edit: Just tested by adding br0:1 to my router for the second proxy and it works fine. Good info.
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp wrote:
I have a linux server running in my lan which i am using for as the proxy but similar commands should work on DD/OPENWRT

to create the alias:
Code:

Code:

of course replace eth0 with your interface (i believe it is br0 on the routers) and the ips with ones within your subnet.

Hope this helps everyone

Thanks, Yeah that seems really nice., I will try it out and update tomorrow. But if i want to use my ATA outside my home network do you think I can just setup port forwarding and will it work?
az1324

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would work for one device but if you wanted more than one you would need to alias on the WAN side too which would be a lot more tricky if even possible. Or it might work with a redirectme.net proxy in between. Why you gotta have such a complicated setup? Rolling Eyes
kp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a few businesses and they each have their own number, and some of them have multiable numbers in differnet parts of the country.
@az1324 i haven't had any need todo aliases on the wan side, the router does the NATing for those addresses and as long as i have the keep alive properly set it works
az1324

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I was saying aliasing on the WAN side if you are trying to connect multiple clients from outside the LAN. Inside the LAN obviously NAT takes care of it.
completetech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp wrote:

to create the alias:
Code:

Code:

Hope this helps everyone

could you please explain a little more in detail how to do this????

i am just a little lost.....

I am trying to make this work again with my asterisk box. I love the fact of the MJ as a fax line...
kp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how your network connection is setup.
In the example eth0 is your wired connection to the lan. Replace that with what your device is. (eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0, etc)

You then assign an address that is within your subnet to your new sub-interface.

Then you start multiable instances of the proxy and have it bind to the address of one of the sub-interfaces.

I hope that clears it up for you a bit.
completetech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp wrote:
It all depends on how your network connection is setup.
In the example eth0 is your wired connection to the lan. Replace that with what your device is. (eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0, etc)

You then assign an address that is within your subnet to your new sub-interface.

Then you start multiable instances of the proxy and have it bind to the address of one of the sub-interfaces.

I hope that clears it up for you a bit.

I wish I could say yes. I mean I am just a little lost.

my goal would be to get my 2 MJ's running on it. and connect remotely i.e. y asterisk box to use the MJ's in this fashion. and to also connect remotely with say a softphone.

i am just not under staning I guess what is supposed to be what and why. how am I supposed to know what device it is supposed to be. the eth0 and eth1 would be for port 1 and 2 ans so on. but I am going to setup the openwrt software and get it going with my 2 MJ's and get my asterisk box to point to it to use them as well as possibly a softphone remotely.
kp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be running an asterisk box just run the proxy on that system. That system is going to be on 24/7 anyhow. Then just use whatever softphone you want to connect to the asterisk box.
completetech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could u possibly give me a run down. say maybe step by step how-to on this
wang_12533
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ScarEye,

I have DD-wrt unit. I am able to use ATA only if I set Proxy:192.168.1.1:5070. When I set with xxx. no-ip.org:5070, it will fail. Could you please help me?

Thanks a lot!
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wang_12533 wrote:
Dear ScarEye,

I have DD-wrt unit. I am able to use ATA only if I set Proxy:192.168.1.1:5070. When I set with xxx. no-ip.org:5070, it will fail. Could you please help me?

Thanks a lot!

wang,

I don't run DD-WRT I only run OpenWRT, but I think you are having the same problems as steve_togo if you read through this thread you will see this.

First make sure xxx.no-ip.org is resloving the IP address that is your routers WAN IP that is running mjproxy.

Second make sure that you have opened port 5070 on the WAN interface of the router. Once this is done you sould be able to take your ATA outside your local network.

Thanks,
ScarEye
wang_12533
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve_togo,

Looks like that I had some problem as yours using DD-WRT. Are you able to take your ATA outside your local network? Could you please share what have you done?

Thank you and ScarEye.
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wang_12533 wrote:
Hi Steve_togo,

Looks like that I had some problem as yours using DD-WRT. Are you able to take your ATA outside your local network? Could you please share what have you done?

Thank you and ScarEye.

I *THINK* Steve moved to OpenWRT but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
ScarEye
Praetorian
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could clarify a few things. I read this post a bunch of times and Im pretty good at linux but believe I am missing one thing. I am trying to run 2 MJ on one router using MJMD5 on router with a a 2 line ATA

Are you saying that you can use something like no-ip.com as a proxy to make this work, as of now I tried all the firmwares. I VI mjproxy and put 2 lines one being 5070 and other 5071 but always get cant bind error. If I run the mjmd5 command manually in putty I still get that error. Does a proxy resolve the binding error? Can I use a proxy service like no-ip.com or my other choice is to use a proxy server I setup like you guys did?

Am I even close to understanding this procedure? Very Happy

Praetorian
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scareye,

Im back I was out of the country for a couple of days... Newayz I have tried all the three versions of firmware and I could get it to work even outside the country on all the firmwares. I am still unsuccessful in running multiple ATA's even within the network., I have to figure that out.

Newayz Wang if you want to open a specific port execute the below either using telnet or save it as a firewall command.

iptables -I INPUT -d $(nvram get wan_ipaddr) -p udp --dport 5071 -j ACCEPT

replace 5071 with the port u want to open

-Steve
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praetorian wrote:
I was wondering if someone could clarify a few things. I read this post a bunch of times and Im pretty good at linux but believe I am missing one thing. I am trying to run 2 MJ on one router using MJMD5 on router with a a 2 line ATA

Are you saying that you can use something like no-ip.com as a proxy to make this work, as of now I tried all the firmwares. I VI mjproxy and put 2 lines one being 5070 and other 5071 but always get cant bind error. If I run the mjmd5 command manually in putty I still get that error. Does a proxy resolve the binding error? Can I use a proxy service like no-ip.com or my other choice is to use a proxy server I setup like you guys did?

Am I even close to understanding this procedure? Very Happy

Praetorian

Nope no-ip has nothing to do with that all you get with a ddns service is a static url to access the router from outside. Other than that youu still have to create other stuff and running 2 mjs is a little hard and I am yet to figure it.
wang_12533
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
Hi Scareye,

Im back I was out of the country for a couple of days... Newayz I have tried all the three versions of firmware and I could get it to work even outside the country on all the firmwares. I am still unsuccessful in running multiple ATA's even within the network., I have to figure that out.

Newayz Wang if you want to open a specific port execute the below either using telnet or save it as a firewall command.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the instructions. Have you used canyouseeme.org to see if 5071 is open? Mine is closed. Please let me know yours.
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wang_12533 wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Hi Scareye,

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the instructions. Have you used canyouseeme.org to see if 5071 is open? Mine is closed. Please let me know yours.

Wang,

Go to the second page of this post, and in the middle of the page you will get your answer about canyouseeme.org.

Also, if you followed my instructions using OpenWRT then everything should work. I was acutally doing everything while I was putting together that tutorial. The only thing that would differ is the ATA being used.

Thanks
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wang_12533 wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Hi Scareye,

-Steve

Hi Steve,

It wont show you its open... I had that confusion also
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scareye,

Are multiple MJ's still working for you, I knew you were runnning on ports 5071,5072 etc., As of now that method is not working for me anymore. But IFconfig is still working. Please let me know if the port thing still works for you.

Thanks
stav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was trying to flash my WRT54G v6 with DD-WRT and something went wrong along the way. I ended up having no Web GUI to the router and when I telnet in it I get the Open-WRT White Russian page and root@OpenWRT:/ prompt. (sorry, for some reason I cannot insert pics).
When I try this command from the prompt line "wget http://pagemen.110mb.com/mjproxy.zip -O /sbin/mjproxy && chmod +x /sbin/mjproxy && ls /sbin", nothing happens, I guess I'm not connected.
When I try this command "vi /etc/config/network", I get no info on the page, so I assume that there is no LAN or WAN data in the router.
Any hints on how to configure it so that I can download the mjproxy?
Thanks for the help,
Stav
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, this would require buying a new $100 router, me calling cable company and reinstalling their modem, flashing new router, then telneting into router to install the program. I am not ready to take this route just yet.

I haven't looked into if sipsorcery could run such a script. I am hoping someone will offer this service. I was also musing that: isn't cgi a linux program run on the host machine, perhaps mjmd5 could be modified to run on a paid or free webserver like cgi.

Just a thought
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

degarb wrote:
As far as I can see, this would require buying a new $100 router, me calling cable company and reinstalling their modem, flashing new router, then telneting into router to install the program. I am not ready to take this route just yet.

I haven't looked into if sipsorcery could run such a script. I am hoping someone will offer this service. I was also musing that: isn't cgi a linux program run on the host machine, perhaps mjmd5 could be modified to run on a paid or free webserver like cgi.

Just a thought

I started with an empty plate., It cost me only 30., I have asus wl-520gu and it works like a charm., The router is slow little bit., But it is due to dd-wrt... Tomato and Open WRt are fast., I mean the page access etc... I hardly telnet into the router.
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the asus locally? Is it the most powerful wireless and 4 ports + usb (my eth port on main computer is broke)? I am waiting for a recommendation. I never seem to have a list handy when looking in store.

At wlmart, I don't think I would be happy with anything less than the n of lynksis, which is about $100. I am barely happy with the one I have, so am game for an upgrade.
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

degarb wrote:
Did you buy the asus locally? Is it the most powerful wireless and 4 ports + usb (my eth port on main computer is broke)? I am waiting for a recommendation. I never seem to have a list handy when looking in store.

At wlmart, I don't think I would be happy with anything less than the n of lynksis, which is about $100. I am barely happy with the one I have, so am game for an upgrade.

Nope i bought it on new egg., the usb is for a print server or u can attach an hdd and I have to see if you can use the USB for Eyhernet., By the way get an ethernet card locally its not more than $5-10$ and this router does only wireless G and it is very stable. If you happen to read the reviews online these are one of the best routers u can get. I dont even how does the stock firmware look the moment i got it I immedeately flashed it.

The best part about this router is it can not be bricked easily. The firmware change process is also a breeze. If you read any negative reviews about the stock firmware, they dont even apply beacuse you will be converting to one of the opensource firmwares and I should say this is the best router I have ever had so far.
sesnut
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm, im having trouble getting this to work,
everytime i reboot the router, it doesnt execute the script to download mjproxy and run it, any help? :<

also, the mjproxy folder gets deleted from the sbin folder if i reboot too
Goldy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pancho1950 wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
pancho1950 wrote:
ScarEye:

Did everything when I try :wp to save it this is what it said "/etc/init.d/mjproxy" Read-only file system.

Thank's

Pancho1950

it should be :wq <------ W and Q

NOT

W and P

Hope this helps.

Sorry was a typo i did :wq
this the firmware Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0 voip
Time: 18:54:15 up 30 min, load average: 0.19, 0.16, 0.08
WAN: Disabled

Try this:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /

This should remount your root "/" FS with read/write privs.
raceway01
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: mount -o remount,rw / Reply with quote

Hi Goldy

once i issue this command than copy file to var folder or nvram and if i reboot the router than file is gone

do u know what other command i have to issue before i reboot the router so file can stay in the same folder ?

Thanks
bijju
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way to do this on ddwrt. my mjmd5 on ddwrt will not work outside of my network Shocked . it works only in my home network Very Happy . i did open the port but still its not working outside of my network. Surprised plzzzz plzzz solve this problem or suggest me a solution
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always check out the dd-wrt post:)
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/ddwrt-version-of-mjmd5-t6913.html
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Recent problem with ata users http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/do-not-use-dongle-if-you-dont-have-to-t9603.html There's no known cure for this yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: