magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HOWTO: OpenWRT MJMD5 w/Multiple ATA's & Screenshots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
I am guessing 0.0.0.0 5070 means any IP's can connect on that port. So, *I think* if you were to change that 192.168.1.20 5070 (LANip) or 25.65.84.12 5070(WANip) then only these particular IP's would be able to connect on port 5070. I can be 100% wrong but this is my guess as of now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Scareye, Thank you, I was trying to experiment with port forwarding on dd-wrt and it does not work, If i try to forward to my ATA it is working, I am not sure how to forward a port from the router back agin to the router. The router is able to forward ports to any other devices on the network except itself. Any ideas about how to do this, As i would like to use my ATA outside my home
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
I am guessing 0.0.0.0 5070 means any IP's can connect on that port. So, *I think* if you were to change that 192.168.1.20 5070 (LANip) or 25.65.84.12 5070(WANip) then only these particular IP's would be able to connect on port 5070. I can be 100% wrong but this is my guess as of now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Scareye, Thank you, I was trying to experiment with port forwarding on dd-wrt and it does not work, If i try to forward to my ATA it is working, I am not sure how to forward a port from the router back agin to the router. The router is able to forward ports to any other devices on the network except itself. Any ideas about how to do this, As i would like to use my ATA outside my home

Your using DD-WRT I am assuming. Your not really fowarding any ports. What you need to do is open port 5070 on the WAN side of the router. Do a search dd-wrt's website on opening ports on the WAN interface.

Hope this helps.
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:

Your using DD-WRT I am assuming. Your not really fowarding any ports. What you need to do is open port 5070 on the WAN side of the router. Do a search dd-wrt's website on opening ports on the WAN interface.

Hope this helps.
ScarEye

Scareye thanks, I tried searching and I am yet to find any info thats helpful, I have also asked a question in the forums., Lets see what happens.

Thank You,
Steve
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scareye,

Did u test your setting by taking your ATA outside your home. Because I am unable to open ports on my router and I am thinking to flash my router with OPEN WRT, I badly need to use an ATA outside my home network.

Thanks,
Steve
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Did u test your setting by taking your ATA outside your home. Because I am unable to open ports on my router and I am thinking to flash my router with OPEN WRT, I badly need to use an ATA outside my home network.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, everything I wrote up I tested first. It works perfectly from the outside.

Thanks,
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks,
ScarEye

Thankyou Scareye, Just a general question, How is Open WRT I am a noob in Unix and does it have some UI so that certain things can be configured. I am having the Asus 520-GU and I am planning on installing the one that supports wireless. Thank you for ur help !!!

By the way is there a demo site I could look at., I know there is one for DDWRT.

Thanks
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks,
ScarEye

Thankyou Scareye, Just a general question, How is Open WRT I am a noob in Unix and does it have some UI so that certain things can be configured. I am having the Asus 520-GU and I am planning on installing the one that supports wireless. Thank you for ur help !!!

By the way is there a demo site I could look at., I know there is one for DDWRT.

Thanks

Yes, I believe by default LuCI (GUI) is installed. So once you flash your router you can open up a web brower and type http://192.168.1.1 and play around. I don't think there is a demo site for OpenWRT though.

Thanks
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks,
ScarEye

Thanks

Yes, I believe by default LuCI (GUI) is installed. So once you flash your router you can open up a web brower and type http://192.168.1.1 and play around. I don't think there is a demo site for OpenWRT though.

Thanks
ScarEye

Scareye,

Just another quick question, If i open a port on my WAN side will it be visible from a website like www.canyouseeme.org can you please test your router and also let me know.

Thankyou for ur help !!!
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
ScarEye wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
Scareye,

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks,
ScarEye

Thanks

Thanks
ScarEye

Scareye,

Just another quick question, If i open a port on my WAN side will it be visible from a website like www.canyouseeme.org can you please test your router and also let me know.

Thankyou for ur help !!!

I don't think that site will work because it is scanning for open TCP connections we are using UDP on port 5070.

Thanks
ScarEye
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a scan from my house to my router which is a few miles away from my house.

[root@scareye ~]# nmap -sU 1.2.3.4/32 -p5070

Obviously, IP 1.2.3.4 is fake I am not going to give my public IP. This IP belongs to my router which is running OpenWRT with MJMD5.

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-07-22 13:00 EDT
Interesting ports on 1.2.3.4:
PORT STATE SERVICE
5070/udp open|filtered unknown

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.699 seconds
[root@scareye ~]#

As you can see, UDP on Port 5070 is open

Thanks
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scareye, Thanks for the info when i do the same in my ubuntu box it shows my ports are also open for udp but it is not connecting from an external IP I think this is because of UPNP services, I tried with IPTables and various syntaxes but it is futile., I have also posted a question the dd-wrt forums but no response for the past couple of days and i dont think my router is supported by openwrt either., so i guess my roads are closing.

I am not sure what else to do., and I guess i will try reading about tomato and see if it can do the same...

Anyways thanks a lot for ur help.
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
Scareye, Thanks for the info when i do the same in my ubuntu box it shows my ports are also open for udp but it is not connecting from an external IP I think this is because of UPNP services, I tried with IPTables and various syntaxes but it is futile., I have also posted a question the dd-wrt forums but no response for the past couple of days and i dont think my router is supported by openwrt either., so i guess my roads are closing.

I am not sure what else to do., and I guess i will try reading about tomato and see if it can do the same...

Anyways thanks a lot for ur help.

1. How did you do your port scan test? Lets say your router that's is running MJMD5 is at home. You should have done the port scan from your office or a network that is outside your home.

2. OpenWRT running kernel 2.4 should work with your router. Because it was working with Kamikaze 7.09 and now we are at 8.09.1

http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs(2f)Hardware(2f)Asus(2f)WL520GU.html?highlight=%28OpenWrtDocs/Hardware%29

^^^ you may have to copy and paste into your browser^^^

3. According to the link above Tomato 1.17D.trx works but there is no USB.

Thanks
ScarEye
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. How did you do your port scan test? Lets say your router that's is running MJMD5 is at home. You should have done the port scan from your office or a network that is outside your home.

I Ran the port scan from home where mjmd5 is present so I think my port scanning test was wrong.

2. OpenWRT running kernel 2.4 should work with your router. Because it was working with Kamikaze 7.09 and now we are at 8.09.1

Thanks I shall check it out and see., Is there any big difference b/w the 2?

http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs(2f)Hardware(2f)Asus(2f)WL520GU.html?highlight=%28OpenWrtDocs/Hardware%29

^^^ you may have to copy and paste into your browser^^^

3. According to the link above Tomato 1.17D.trx works but there is no USB.

Sure I will check it out and see

Thanks
ScarEye

Scar eye thanks once again for helping me
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CLI the only way to change my firmware to open WRT? It looks pretty complex though..
ScarEye
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
Is CLI the only way to change my firmware to open WRT? It looks pretty complex though..

If you have DD-WRT you should be able to download the firmware (OpenWRT) and flash the router via the DD-WRT GUI.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: