magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to Disable AUTO-RENEW on MagicJack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: How to Disable AUTO-RENEW on MagicJack Reply with quote

MagicJack has now set all MagicJacks to Auto-Renew when the subscription expires. Thanks to robatino for bringing this to our attention and laserjobs for the instructions and screen shots.

To disable AUTO-RENEW:

Login to http://my.magicjack.com and click on "Details"

You should now see this on the screen with the Disable Auto-Renew in gray at the bottom right to click.

Now you can disable Auto-Renew on this pop-up screen

You should now see this screen to confirm you do not have auto-renew activated
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did a 5 year renewal increase to $69.95? I renewed last summer for $60. It is still very inexpensive.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith wrote:
When did a 5 year renewal increase to $69.95? I renewed last summer for $60. It is still very inexpensive.

The increase seemed to happen just before Black Friday.
vnecaxa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nobody beats the Whiz!"][quote="Bill Smith"]When did a 5 year renewal increase to $69.95? I renewed last summer for $60. It is still very inexpensive.[/quote]

The increase seemed to happen just before Black Friday.[/quote]

they were selling magicjacks for $29.95 thursday and friday. a hint that prices will start dropping?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vnecaxa wrote:
Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Bill Smith wrote:

The increase seemed to happen just before Black Friday.

they were selling magicjacks for $29.95 thursday and friday. a hint that prices will start dropping?

Nah. Apparently, they did the Black Friday sale last year, as well.

Perhaps, after the holiday registration frenzy wears off into the late spring, early summer, the 5 year deal will drop in price again. It's a guessing game at this point.

I wouldn't look for sustained low prices for new hardware, such as the $29.95 you mentioned. These are already rock bottom prices, and there has to be a profit point somewhere in the plan.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The http://my.magicjack.com page has been changed again. Now there is a separate "RENEWAL" section with a button. If auto-renew is disabled, it says

To Activate Auto-Renew *Click Here*

and if auto-renew is enabled, there is just a button that says

*Details*

Either way, they don't show the expiration date on the main page. You have to click on the RENEWAL section button for that. However, the main page still has the section for extending your license.

Edit: And they still don't say whether auto-renew is for one year or five. Until that happens, everyone should just disable it.
lenw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto renew borders on the unscrupulous. Thanks for this information - I have disabled the auto part.
It should be against the law to auto renew without explicit instructions from the customer.
They have been unscrupulous in other ways as well. Before I bought mine, I was promised one free phone number switch and that Canadian area codes were "on the way". Canadian area codes are now somewhat available but now I am told the only way for me to get one is to buy a NEW Magic Jack. I am told existing customers (like me) don't have the right to make the promised change.
Not a nice way to do business. Just as auto renew is a sleazy thing to do. I really don't trust them one little bit. The only thing good about them is the low price. Yes it is cheap.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenw wrote:
Auto renew borders on the unscrupulous. Thanks for this information - I have disabled the auto part.
It should be against the law to auto renew without explicit instructions from the customer.
They have been unscrupulous in other ways as well. Before I bought mine, I was promised one free phone number switch and that Canadian area codes were "on the way". Canadian area codes are now somewhat available but now I am told the only way for me to get one is to buy a NEW Magic Jack. I am told existing customers (like me) don't have the right to make the promised change.
Not a nice way to do business. Just as auto renew is a sleazy thing to do. I really don't trust them one little bit. The only thing good about them is the low price. Yes it is cheap.

Sleazy doesn't come close to describing the abominations that MJ has perpetrated over the years. Let me count the ways.....

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
lenw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I urge others to do the same
bfksc
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenw wrote:

In Canada I believe it is against the law to use negative billing practices. Auto-renew is not illegal unless the client is not advised of the change to their account.
Quote:

I was told that they don't currently have the ability to change to CDN phone numbers with an active account, but that might change in the coming weeks/months. I would like a CDN number too, so hopefully they update their online system.
Quote:
Not a nice way to do business. Just as auto renew is a sleazy thing to do. I really don't trust them one little bit.

Auto-renew won't work unless you've given them your credit card. I haven't so they can't renew without my approval.
Quote:
The only thing good about them is the low price. Yes it is cheap.

You get what you pay for...I'm not overly impressed with the service. But at $4.67/month for the first year (all in with taxes and s&h), I'm not complaining too much about the call quality or consistency. It's a tenth of what a home phone costs.
Smile
lenw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not a nice way to do business. Just as auto renew is a sleazy thing to do. I really don't trust them one little bit.

Auto-renew won't work unless you've given them your credit card. I haven't so they can't renew without my approval.

That may be true for the first renewal but what about next year? You would need to give them a card number for the first renewal. Canadian customers should remember the major issues with Rogers a few years back when they introduced this "negative billing" issue. They got hammered.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfksc wrote:

In Canada I believe it is against the law to use negative billing practices. Auto-renew is not illegal unless the client is not advised of the change to their account.

AFAIK MJ hasn't notified anyone yet. There's also no mention of it yet in their FAQ's/Knowledgebase that I can find.
bfksc wrote:

Yes, but anyone who either bought theirs directly from MJ, or manually renewed their license, has given it, and there doesn't appear to be any way to delete existing credit card information, only add it.
lymon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this what 1 use card numbers are for?
RDHeinz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: No Auto renew Reply with quote

Question I don't see an auto renew in my details. BTW the credit card I have on file will expire before my subscription is up. Idea
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No Auto renew Reply with quote

RDHeinz wrote:
Question I don't see an auto renew in my details. BTW the credit card I have on file will expire before my subscription is up. Idea

See my message from Dec. 1 - click on the "Details" button under "RENEWAL". They've made it inconspicuous so people won't notice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: