magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to Disable AUTO-RENEW on MagicJack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidchsw wrote:
I am sure people are being billed for service when they are not using it and are unaware about the charges. This is pretty deceptive.

David


Isn't this what every phone company does? They bill you indefinitely for their service. I have never seen a phone company ask you if you want to renew your service for the next month. They automatically renew and bill you. Why would people expect differently of MJ? I don't see how this is deceptive when it is and has been the norm for phone companies for decades.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Google
AdSense





PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Back to top
robatino
MagicJack Expert


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Davidchsw wrote:
I am sure people are being billed for service when they are not using it and are unaware about the charges. This is pretty deceptive.

David


Isn't this what every phone company does? They bill you indefinitely for their service. I have never seen a phone company ask you if you want to renew your service for the next month. They automatically renew and bill you. Why would people expect differently of MJ? I don't see how this is deceptive when it is and has been the norm for phone companies for decades.


It's deceptive because previously MJ did NOT do this - you had to pay manually each year. They introduced auto-renew and put everyone on it, without telling anyone. The MJ Knowledgebase on their web site still has no mention of auto-renew - in fact, it appears not to have been updated since before auto-renew started. My guess is that they'll delay updating it as long as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robatino wrote:

It's deceptive because previously MJ did NOT do this - you had to pay manually each year. They introduced auto-renew and put everyone on it, without telling anyone. The MJ Knowledgebase on their web site still has no mention of auto-renew - in fact, it appears not to have been updated since before auto-renew started. My guess is that they'll delay updating it as long as possible.


Where would you like them to tell everyone? It is plainly written in their TOCs which by far exceeds the knowledge base with can dos and can't dos. (It is a legal document unlike the knowledge base.) Why would you think they would delay updating as long as possible? Do you really think this is a deal breaker and someone won't purchase a MJ because the default is auto-renew? I don't understand the issue here. All phone companies auto-renew. I would be upset if my phone expired and got shut off because it didn't renew. Besides, they give you the option to turn off auto-renew. Guess change just won't work for some people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robatino
MagicJack Expert


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
robatino wrote:

It's deceptive because previously MJ did NOT do this - you had to pay manually each year. They introduced auto-renew and put everyone on it, without telling anyone. The MJ Knowledgebase on their web site still has no mention of auto-renew - in fact, it appears not to have been updated since before auto-renew started. My guess is that they'll delay updating it as long as possible.


Where would you like them to tell everyone? It is plainly written in their TOCs which by far exceeds the knowledge base with can dos and can't dos. (It is a legal document unlike the knowledge base.) Why would you think they would delay updating as long as possible? Do you really think this is a deal breaker and someone won't purchase a MJ because the default is auto-renew? I don't understand the issue here. All phone companies auto-renew. I would be upset if my phone expired and got shut off because it didn't renew. Besides, they give you the option to turn off auto-renew. Guess change just won't work for some people.


The problem is not with new customers, but existing ones. AFAIK MJ only provides a copy of the TOS once, at signup, but not later, even if it changes. (I never got a copy of the revised TOS when auto-renew started. The only place I could find a copy is on a third party site, by googling.) YOU would be upset if your MJ didn't renew, but many people bought a MJ before auto-renew existed, stopped using it, and were never notified of auto-renew, a new TOS mentioning it, or that they were enrolled by default. They expected never to be charged again, since that was implied by the original TOS (the only one MJ ever sent them). It's not asking too much for MJ to contact customers when the TOS changes. All reputable companies do this. MJ has customer's email addresses so they could just use that at no cost to themselves.

Edit: In the TOS itself, there is a link to the current TOS, which still works:

http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

However, it's very hard to find a link to it from the MJ home page. I had to go to the Knowledgebase (good thing at least part of it had accurate information), search for "terms of service", then one of the matches is "Customer Contract", which gives the link.

Of course, you still don't get notified when it changes, so you'd have to save copies periodically and do diffs to find them. The average person wouldn't know how, so they'd have to carefully read the entire thing each time. (The current TOS does say "Although we may choose to notify you when changes are made to these Terms of Service", but in reality they never do that.)

The source of the TOS page contains the following code:
Code:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

which explains why a Google search doesn't find it - MJ wants it to be difficult, which isn't exactly a surprise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davrow
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I don't see how this is deceptive
The problem, Diggs, is that you are oversimplifying. You are looking at a single instance and basing your entire argument only on that one instance.

What the rest of us are saying is that Dan is unethical, MJ is unethical, and this is merely one more piece of substantiating evidence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ubgood
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: They are not transferring my Credits nor my paid 5 years Reply with quote

Actually Once only I did talk to them years ago.
Anyway, I wanted a telephone number for a business and made a mistake to pick up a MagicJack.
All is good until the support or billing or customer service is needed.
Because they do not have any intelligent support behind that company and that they do not care at all about the

client (you).
First of all, they do not have a number that you can call.
Only a "Chat" room with you know whom...
One hour later they are starting to understand the problem after transferring me to a Top 10% (I guess it is a chat

supervisor ) but will not be able to fix my problem even 2 hours later.
If your MagicJack does brake (as they do, as they overheat) they may send you another one for it. That is if you

really, really, insist heavily.
The bad news is that the new MagicJack will be another number! The other bad news is that if you did pay for 5

years already you then will loose all the years you did not used, as the MagicJack License is not transferable from

One Number to another. Same for the money you had prepay on this account.
Anyway, I had 3 of them, and the tech support will still not recognize that I still should had the right to get my

PAID contract back for me to use on any of my telephone #.
So bottom line: You get what you pay for! Look at Verizon package phone service, or Vonage, or Skype, but MagicJack

is not recommended for quality communication (people cannot hear you well or your voice will be cut off and only

few words will be understood) even if you run the new downloaded version. MagicJack is not recommended for Business

as you cannot have more then 1 line.
I now use a professional Polycom voice overIP on the same internet line with no problem.
Sad experiences after almost 2 years using MagicJack...
I gonna use my MagicJack for Clay Pigeon shooting practice!
I do not have the heart to sale them online for you to buy and have a bad experience like me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2845
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And had you taken the time to read here and other MJ forums first you would have read NOT to plug in your new MJ until you chatted FIRST with support. Then you would have had your orig number and time left transfered to the new MJ unit...Amazing huh??

I assume you mean BREAK not BRAKE...........Says a lot when you do not know the difference, but I won't say anything more on that.

2 1/2 years now with my MJ and not a burp, fart or any problem. MOST times it is a poor internet connection, router firmware, or your PC having crapware ( including an operator who only knows how to turn said PC on and nothing more)

Bye bye.....and make sure your MJ doesn't shoot back...
_________________
Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is amazing to me Joe. MJ isn't perfect in a bunch of ways. But it beats any cell phone I have ever used. And except for an occasional glitch, is as good as any land-line I've ever used.

I would amend his statement to you don't get what you pay for and that's a monthly phone bill.

And you are 100% correct, a high % of issues are on the users end, not MJ. Even a good number of the "blocked number" posts turn out to be oops...it was something else.

Edit: And the fact that he posted this on an "Auto-Renew" topic and mentioned NOTHING about auto-renew, probably speaks a lot as to why he had difficulties getting a clear call on MJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2845
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point which I totally missed... Not a mention of Auto-Renew and yet instead of making a new topic he hijacks one which has ZERO to do with what he is bitching about..
Maybe he even calls FORD when his GMC truck is having problems...

Oh well.....................
_________________
Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael Pavacik
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought it was such a difficult thing to do that we needed a stick post on magicjack forum, anyhow, thanks for helping out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrosetto
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: webpage will not load. Reply with quote

The Magicjack website will not open. Is the site down?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StanR
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Auto-Renew 1 but not 2 MJ's Reply with quote

I bought the MJ+ and added it to an existing MJ account. I ported my landine to the MJ+. So: 1 account, 2 devices, 2 phone numbers. When I enable or diasable Auto-Renew it applies to both devices in my account.

Anyone know how to disable auto-renew for my MJ (and let it expire) but enable auto-renew for my MJ+?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 504

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Renew 1 but not 2 MJ's Reply with quote

StanR wrote:

Anyone know how to disable auto-renew for my MJ (and let it expire) but enable auto-renew for my MJ+?


Just keep auto renewal turned off till the older MJ expires, then switch auto renewal back on for the MJ+.

If you manually need to add years to the MJ+ device it's easy to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDoctah
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-Renew 1 but not 2 MJ's Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
StanR wrote:

Anyone know how to disable auto-renew for my MJ (and let it expire) but enable auto-renew for my MJ+?


Just keep auto renewal turned off till the older MJ expires, then switch auto renewal back on for the MJ+.

If you manually need to add years to the MJ+ device it's easy to do.



I did this, and then re-enabled auto renew about 1 week later so i don't forget and lose my MJ+ subscription.

However, MJ decided to back bill me for the original MJ subscription when i turned it back on. I was so peeved but didn't bother fighting them from my $20 back since its such a headache to deal with billing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
black_icon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Posts: 191
Location: out of nowhere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Renew 1 but not 2 MJ's Reply with quote

TheDoctah wrote:
Matt9876 wrote:
StanR wrote:

Anyone know how to disable auto-renew for my MJ (and let it expire) but enable auto-renew for my MJ+?


Just keep auto renewal turned off till the older MJ expires, then switch auto renewal back on for the MJ+.

If you manually need to add years to the MJ+ device it's easy to do.



I did this, and then re-enabled auto renew about 1 week later so i don't forget and lose my MJ+ subscription.

However, MJ decided to back bill me for the original MJ subscription when i turned it back on. I was so peeved but didn't bother fighting them from my $20 back since its such a headache to deal with billing.



If both MJ Plus and regular magicJack are registered under the same account and email, their auto-renewal feature is only one (same account). So, I would suggest you to leave the auto-renewal feature disabled for the meantime until the the regular MJ is deactivated from the account (60days after the expiration date). Once it's already deactivated, you can log back in to your account portal (my.magicJack.com) and enable back the said feature.
_________________
Never UnderEstimate the Power of your Finger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB Turbo Extended Edition © 2013, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.