magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to Disable AUTO-RENEW on MagicJack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDHeinz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Embarassed Found it! It sure is inconspicuous.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing occur with my Webroot Spy Sweeper software. I was notified that the subscription would renew automatically and was also given instructions on how to opt-out of automatic renewal--I opted out.

I don't like it! It's offensive to me that companies are taking it upon themselves to charge for something I didn't ask for unless I opt-out. Maybe I'm over reacting but I feel it's intrusive to presume that I'm going to want to renew a subscription. If I want to renew then I will take the appropriate steps to do so. Otherwise, if auto-renew is an option then simply provide instructions for opting in--Don't opt me in automatically.
veganmarcos
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed it. Thanks for the tip. Yes, it is very inconspicuous. My question is though, would they renew me for another five years or start charging me year to year. I wouldn't mind it if they renewed me for another five years but there isn't any option under the auto-renewal for this that I could find. Hmm. Also, even if they raised the five year fee to $69.99 it's still very cheap. The annual cost is $19.99. That comes out to $60 every three years. You're still saving $30.00 every five years unless the five year option increases again. Then I would probably renew yearly rather than every five years.

Mark
macrat
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Yabbut will they nag me now? Reply with quote

I don't know if disabling the auto-renew feature will cause nags to pop up earlier than 3 months before the expiration date?

I use MJ, but I have it on an unattended Pentium 2 with XP SP3, 2 GB hard drive, and nothing else. I took out the CD rom drive after installing, and took out the monitor (I think I recycled it, but I have a KVM to check on it now.) I'm trying to find a power supply lower than 50 watts for it, any ideas where I can get one? It's running at 100 watts now.
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw this option when I renewed last month.
Looked pretty easy for me to find but then again I'm always careful to read the fine print.

Thanks though to pointing it out to all
eljefino
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macrat your cpu, motherboard, and hard drive use the power they use. Changing the power supply won't effect efficiency. (can probably get SLIGHTLY better with a "green" PS that puts more out with less in)

Though rated at 100 watt max, you'll find the headless computer probably only uses about 60 watts. A "Kill-a-watt" meter will tell you for sure. Local libraries have them on loan or they're only $20 new.

Put a 50 watt in (if you can find it) and you'll probably start having wierd system issues.
BENNYG
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: magic jack Reply with quote

Does majic jack require intel processor on MAC computers?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: magic jack Reply with quote

BENNYG wrote:
Does majic jack require intel processor on MAC computers?

Yes.

-One shot Magic Jack
-One shot TK6000
-One shot NetTalk Duo
-Two shots Ooma (it's bigger)

Shaken, not stirred.

Google Voice is the chaser.
F3DRIVR
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently paid for a year of service and noticed a note in my account that it was set to be automatically renewed in a year but I didn't realize that it was possible to disable it. I don't trust MagicJack with my credit card number so I paid them through paypal virtual debit card. You can generate a Mastercard number through an add-on in your paypal account that can be set to expire after one use. Very useful for online purchases.
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks because if you disable recurring charges, like any intelligent cardholder will do, then, these people likely will not be able to renew at all.

Some card lines, totally disallow this.
hughmbein
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Auto Renew Question Reply with quote

First, Thank You to MagicJack & for this forum. If it weren't for MJ & Skype a lot of families, in the Caribbean & elsewhere with high rates, would loose touch.
Re: Auto Renew I have given MJ's (which were bought with a credit card) to a lot of people in the Islands. What's going to happen at renewal time ?
A. My credit card will be automatically charged ?
B, If they've bought "foreign" calls with their credit card ?
C. Their MJ stops working ?
Thanks for the good info
ubern000b
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some thought here's my concern,

You're on manual renewal.

MJ nags you to renew as the date approaches. You ignore the nags.

MJ suspends your service the day after your payment was due. Hell, maybe they even release your number to the pool and someone else snags it.

All of this was avoidable, none of it was the fault of MJ.

Yet, IMO, everyone will want to burn MJ to the ground.

FTR, I don't work for or have any interest in MJ.

All just IMO
hughmbein
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Auto Renew Reply with quote

Oh Yes, something more to the questions above.

D. Why the worry RE Auto Renew if you bought your MJ in a store for cash and have not used your credit card to buy foreign long distance on MagicJack ? In this case, Why Worry ?
Does this sound like Alfred E Neuman logic ?
couch-potato
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F3DRIVR wrote:
You can generate a Mastercard number through an add-on in your paypal account that can be set to expire after one use. Very useful for online purchases.

Would you please explain how to do that? I can't find anything on my paypal accout for that.
tjnamtiw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenw wrote:
I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I urge others to do the same

I sure as hell am going to because I just got auto renewed after they told us that there would be no such thing. Filthy scum!
I replaced their POS with an ooma system a year ago and absolutely love it compared to the crappy performance of the not-so-magic jack. I'm also refusing the charge since they told us that we would have to manually renew and that is what I was counting on to end the service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: