magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Are YOU Using Google Voice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: How Are YOU Using Google Voice? Reply with quote

Last year I was one of the lucky ones able to sign up for GC/GV during an open window of availability. At the time, I didn't really know what it was, but the concept was intriguing. I find, however, my actual use is still somewhat limited... partly, because I was afraid it would eventually become an orphan and left unsupported.

Here is how I'm using it now:

+ ALL incoming GV calls are presently routed to my cell phone.
+ iDialer calls out from my cell phone through GV (see note below)
+ Both MJ numbers are forwarded to GV
+ I have begun adding Contacts and occasionally use SMS

Presently, GV does not support the use of extensions, so it won't work properly with my office number.

I would be curious to learn how others are using GV to better manage their phone usage and what other 3rd party services you find helpful.

Thanks....

NOTE: I couldn't readily locate the current url for iDialer, but I believe the latest version is v.0.5. It's also available for the Apple iPhone (I think). This is a fun little app that makes using GV on your cell phone very convenient. The author also has a corresponding app called iContacts. As soon as I find the link, I'll post it, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
magicjack6666
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple settings

GV + Gizmo5 or sipgate (on a acer aspire netbook and counterpath software)
I use a logitech usb headset I picked at fry's for $25

I use it everyday as a regular phone. It sounds as good as a regular phone, at least most of the time.
samarai
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: \g Reply with quote

GV is becoming my main bs # and I have it forwarded to whatever I am doing at the time. Cell phone along with some combination of the following: Office MJ/office ATA/cabin MJ/RV home MJ. Having the voipvoip number with an ATA has taken away the need for porting my number to MJ. I no longer have any landlines and I have backup if MJ fails/goes away. Skype and MJ got me going in the direction of VOiP. This forum along with other VOiP forums gave me the knowledge and confidence to try different telephone ideas without my callees/callers ever knowing the difference when I speak with them.
MagicBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked for an invite maybe a year ago....got it a few days ago. Signed up and its great for me. Why? I have an ATT landline minimum cost of $12/month with no long distance. Locals are 2c/min & long dist. whatever they charge. I normally don't even use it to call out as my cell has lots of minutes to use, and it is only $5/month Smile

Now GV calls my ATT # and I use to make free calls in the US!!! Very Happy The only reason I have ATT is I use their DSL and get the Pro speed at $25/month and have used it since 1999! If I drop ATT, I will get dry loop DSL and its $10/month more...so the basic phone service is fine and now I can use it to call out for free w/GV!!! Laughing

Thanks GV, as I don't need to use my cell nor my ATT to call out...you do it for me. Priceless.
lcompton
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: New To Google Voice... Reply with quote

Good morning.

I just received my Google Voice (GV) invite last evening, so I am new to Google Voice and still fooling with it.

Presently, I have my GV number forwarded to my Skype, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless numbers. I haven't given out my GV number yet. When signing up for GV last evening, I was able to select a really cool number. Smile

I'm working on figuring out how to consolidate voicemail so I don't have to go hunting on all of my telephones for voicemails. GV switches to voicemail at 25 seconds, so I need to do some experimentation to see which device intercepts GV calls that go unanswered; although, with GV, there isn't much reason for a call to go unanswered, is there?

The other thing I plan to use is the GV widget, which lets people call you directly from your own web-site without giving out your GV telephone number. I setup the widget on GV last evening, but I wasn't able to quickly get the widget loaded on my web-site last night. Joomla can be a real pain when installing flash objects. I'm going to try this as an experiment at first. I'm not sure if I can restrict widget use to certain hours of the day. If I can't restrict the widget and get jokers calling me in the middle of the night, I'll abandon the widget idea.
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: A Work-around for magicJack's Call Caps? Reply with quote

Good afternoon.

I've discovered what may be a work-around for magicJack's outbound call caps. It is possible to use Google Voice (GV) to establish calls with another party. When establishing the call, GV calls the GV account holder and then connects them to the called party.

If the GV account holder has GV call his or her magicJack number, then the call is an inbound call and shouldn't be impacted by the outbound call caps. I haven't tested this and I'm not planning to, but it is an interesting idea and there isn't any reason it shouldn't work.

Of course, this assumes that GV doesn't forcibly terminate calls, which I don't know yet.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call your google voice number from your MJ and use google's option to call out through them are you still connected through MJ to google to party your calling or does MJ get cut off when you start a call from google. I'm not on the phone for more than five or ten minutes usually but it would be nice to find a work around for my wife and her sisters. Very Happy
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The way I received my Google Voice invite was by signing up on the Google Voice invite page to request an invite

I thought of that in the very moment they presented the Google Voice.
Like you say the only question will be the GV own policy on call caps. It can be challenging to complain about a free service. By the way, call caps are not that new. 10 years ago, a number of smaller carriers had caps on international calls and I got a few times bumped from a long international call.
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Call Caps are New To Me! Reply with quote

Good evening, cell14,

cell14 wrote:
Like you say the only question will be the GV own policy on call caps.

I researched this pretty thoroughly today on Google Voice's (GV's) terms of service and I didn't see a single blurb about call caps. I don't know what to make of this and I don't have time to mess with it in an effort to discover whether a GV call cap exists and, if so, what is the timeout. GV is definitely not switching the call out of their facilities because calls placed through GV can be selectively recorded by the GV account holder, which means that GV still has the call.

cell14 wrote:
It can be challenging to complain about a free service.

I have to agree. It will be interesting to see how Google makes GV profitable in the long run.

cell14 wrote:
By the way, call caps are not that new. 10 years ago, a number of smaller carriers had caps on international calls and I got a few times bumped from a long international call.

Call caps are new to me and I spent my professional career in networking and telecommunications (you can download my CV from my web-site if interested.) I was also able to verify that none of the top tier carriers use call caps. So, as far as I'm concerned, call caps are an oddity. In fact, the only people I know to be using call caps are magicJack. I haven't seen anyone produce a verifiable example of another telephony provider employing call caps.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Google Voice Invite Reply with quote

I think it's just random, put in one on an AOL account about 2 weeks ago, received an invite on 7/6. Put in for one on a Gmail account 6/5, received it today. I also put invites in shortly after they closed it, on other Gmail accounts but it seems that most recent are getting them.

One of the options I like is the ability to have it as one of my Fave5. I set it as direct connect (no ringing) to VM. Just speed dial thru Fave5, almost instant connect to VM, press 2, enter the number I'm calling, press #, put it to my ear in time to listen to "This is a free call". Press 3 instead of 2 and you get the free Google 411, it will also connect you for free. There is alot more options with GV over GC. We will eventually loose the email that GC had (your number @grandcentral.com), but most never used it anyway. So far that gets forwarded to your original email you used for GC. I will gladly trade that off for all the other options you get with GV, including the ability to change your number now.
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Voice Invite Reply with quote

Good evening, tazxx.

tazxx wrote:
I think it's just random, put in one on an AOL account about 2 weeks ago, received an invite on 7/6. Put in for one on a Gmail account 6/5, received it today. I also put invites in shortly after they closed it, on other Gmail accounts but it seems that most recent are getting them.

Nice. That means I might get another invite any day. Smile

tazxx wrote:
One of the options I like is the ability to have it as one of my Fave5. I set it as direct connect (no ringing) to VM. Just speed dial thru Fave5, almost instant connect to VM, press 2, enter the number I'm calling, press #, put it to my ear in time to listen to "This is a free call". Press 3 instead of 2 and you get the free Google 411, it will also connect you for free.

This sounds pretty neat. I haven't experimented with this feature yet.

tazxx wrote:
There is alot more options with GV over GC. We will eventually loose the email that GC had (your number @grandcentral.com), but most never used it anyway. So far that gets forwarded to your original email you used for GC.

I never had Grand Central, so no loss here.

tazxx wrote:
I will gladly trade that off for all the other options you get with GV, including the ability to change your number now.

Well, yes, at USD10.00 a pop. That's one of the reasons I requested another invite. I can setup a different number if I want to without paying for number changes. I wonder if I can forward to the same number from two different GV accounts... Hmmm...

I got my GV widget setup and running on my web-site. Testing was too neat. It is so awesome that I can get calls from my web-site.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: One number on two GV accounts Reply with quote

You can't have the same number on two GV accounts, tried that, it just says its on another GV account.

Widgit is neat, I only wish it was like Jaduka, where you could paste it in an email. Going to see if thats in the suggestion area. I must have suggested the number change about 50 times. They just started it 7/2, after I put every email I had in for an invite.

Edit: I tried this with a cell tagged as "Mobile", it won't do it. Tried again, but tagged it as "Home" or "Work", it was added.

Last edited by tazxx on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: One number on two GV accounts Reply with quote

tazxx:

tazxx wrote:
You can't have the same number on two GV accounts, tried that, it just says its on another GV account.

I want to be sure we're speaking the same language here. I'm not looking to use the same GV-assigned number on two GV accounts. I'm interested in using one of the forwarded numbers (Skype, for example) on two different GV accounts.

So, supposing my Skype number was (484) 123-4567 (it's not so please don't call it), could I have two different GV-assigned telephone numbers forwarded to that same Skype number?

tazxx wrote:
Widgit is neat, I only wish it was like Jaduka, where you could paste it in an email.

The widget really is neat. I called one of my friends to have them give it a try, but they weren't around. I wish a separate call schedule could be setup for widgets so I could restrict the widget rather than restricting all calls to my GV telephone number. That's kind of a bummer. If I can figure out how to make suggestions, I'll send them that idea.

tazxx wrote:
Going to see if thats in the suggestion area. I must have suggested the number change about 50 times. They just started it 7/2, after I put every email I had in for an invite.

I thought about requesting a bunch of invites, but two will be enough for me if I get the second one � especially, if I can't use the same forwarded numbers in more than GV account. Then, I don't really even need the second one.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This (484) 123-4567 Cannot be on 2 GV accounts at the same time. I just tried to put my cell #, that is on one of my GV accounts, on another GV account. So both GV's would ring my cell, it has a popup that says "Number is on anther account". I read somewhere that they are working on it, and it is/was in the suggestion area. They are making changes now so it may be possible soon.

Edit: I tried this with a cell named as "Mobile", it won't do it. Tried again, but named it as "Home" or "Work", it was added.

Last edited by tazxx on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Much Obliged... Reply with quote

tazxx:

tazxx wrote:
This (484) 123-4567 Cannot be on 2 GV accounts at the same time. I just tried to put my cell #, that is on one of my GV accounts, on another GV account. So both GV's would ring my cell, it has a popup that says "Number is on anther account". I read somewhere that they are working on it, and it is/was in the suggestion area. They are making changes now so it may be possible soon.

I appreciate the clarification. I hope they modify GV so that can be done someday. It would be very convenient.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Widgit Reply with quote

About the widgit maybe set it to ring only one or two phones, and set that phone to ring at certain times. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure if it will bypass the phone settings.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone produce a verifiable example of another telephony provider employing call caps.

Hi Lisa, remembering the story exactly : I did experience call caps on calls initiated from the Netherlands terminating in the U.S. in 1999 on several carriers, some of them U.S. based. The caps were , I guess,2 hours. I cannot prove it, but I have no incentive to be dishonest about it, either. Smile
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Widgit Reply with quote

taxxx:

tazxx wrote:
About the widgit maybe set it to ring only one or two phones, and set that phone to ring at certain times. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure if it will bypass the phone settings.

I thought about this, but the problem with the approach is that I'd like to be able to give my Google Voice (GV) number to people who I would want to be able to call me in the middle of the night if necessary. That's why it would be convenient to be able to set a call schedule for widgets rather than or addition to individual telephone numbers.

I'll experiment some more with this over the weekend and see if I can find any creative ways of managing the issue.

Another idea with which I was toying was possibly being able to set the widget on my web-site to only be available during certain hours. If I could hide the widget during the midnight hours, that would accomplish pretty much the same thing.
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Relax... Reply with quote

cell14:

cell14 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone produce a verifiable example of another telephony provider employing call caps.

Hi Lisa, remembering the story exactly : I did experience call caps on calls initiated from the Netherlands terminating in the U.S. in 1999 on several carriers, some of them U.S. based. The caps were , I guess,2 hours. I cannot prove it, but I have no incentive to be dishonest about it, either. Smile

Relax. No one is suggesting that you're being dishonest. My assertion is that I have been in a position to know about call caps with carriers and have never seen them used, heard of them being used or even referenced. And, I certainly have never encountered call caps with any carriers I used until magicJack.

As you have already acknowledged, there does not appear to be any verifiable evidence of call caps in use by any telephony provider other than magicJack (and magicJack doesn't even disclose the existence of call caps in their terms, which is just not right.) The closest thing to a documented call cap that I've seen is Skype's fair use statement asserting 10,000 minutes/month is what Skype considers fair use of their service.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: One number on two GV accounts Reply with quote

You CAN use the same number on 2 GV accounts. But if it is a mobile number, it can only be named "Mobile" on one account. You have to change it to "Home" or "Work" for the other. It has something to do with SMS.

Sorry about bad info in my earlier posts.

I had just tried it with cell phones, and then read about this in another forum. So I tried it with MJ, landline and cell. And I have MJ, landline, and cell named as "Home" on one account. On the other I the same 3 numbers, MJ and landline named as "Home" and cell named as "Mobile". From what I understand is the only one to receive SMS is the one named "Mobile".
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: One number on two GV accounts Reply with quote

Good morning, tazxx.

tazxx wrote:
You CAN use the same number on 2 GV accounts. But if it is a mobile number, it can only be named "Mobile" on one account. You have to change it to "Home" or "Work" for the other. It has something to do with SMS.

This is lovely information. I appreciate your due diligence on this. If I receive the second Google Voice (GV) invite, I'll setup a widget with a time-restricted telephone number for my web-site. This will be a pretty good solution. I'm still hoping that GV will implement scheduling on the widgets. That's the perfect solution to the issue.

tazxx wrote:
I had just tried it with cell phones, and then read about this in another forum. So I tried it with MJ, landline and cell. And I have MJ, landline, and cell named as "Home" on one account. On the other I the same 3 numbers, MJ and landline named as "Home" and cell named as "Mobile". From what I understand is the only one to receive SMS is the one named "Mobile".

The whole thing is rather strange, really. There isn't any technical reason of which I can think that would prevent two different (GV in this case) numbers from being forwarded to the same telephone number whether it's a landline or wireless number. The same would be true of SMS messages. Even if GV was concerned about which GV number to direct a potential SMS response from the forwarded number, they would have the ANI to use as the trace-back number.

If you come across any solid technical explanations as to why there would be an issue with forwarding multiple GV numbers to the same telephone number, I'd be interested in reading it.
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Google Voice Info Reply with quote

Hi, Lisa

I have no clue about the SMS, so I won't open my mouth (just to stick my foot in it, again) with anything tech about that. Some on the GV Forum say they can have them both named "Mobile", I tried and can't do. I heard some of the GC numbers could not be upgraded to GV because of SMS ???, and they were some of the first to get invites to change their number.

If you have a suggestion, use the link below, if they get a lot of feedback on it they may add it.

Note: This link might be almost wore out since I used it so much, suggesting that they allow number changes. I'm still trying with "being able to send something like Widgets in eMail". Laughing

Suggest a feature for Google Voice
http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs&issue=117320&bucket=16989

Google does not elaborate (on help) for most of their projects, especially a Beta, but if you search for an answer, they do provide a way to find it.

Here are some useful or interesting links I found.

Request to allow re-upgrade to Google Voice (Change eMail)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

I personally used this 6/19/09. They stated "Please note that this operation may take up to a week. You will be notified by email when it's done". It took 4 days for one. After it was changed, I thought wow that took some time, so right away filled out the form for another, it took less than 10 minutes from the time clicked submit, for them to change it.

Now it states "This operation may take up to two weeks. You will be notified by email when it's done."

Quote from Hillsborough on GV forum 7/8/09
"Ignore the part about Grand Central, A Google employee (Ilya) confirmed that they are currently allowing email changes with this form."
"Ilya (Google employee) confirmed in a post yesterday that it is ok to use the form for new accounts - no sad story required. LOL"

Forum Link to quote from Hillsborough:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=32b7d4ef6ad5ff01&hl=en

The Official Google Blog
Here comes Google Voice
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/here-comes-google-voice.html

Google Voice on Twitter (Google employees monitor this)
http://twitter.com/GoogleVoice

Google Voice Help Forum (need to signup to post)
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice?hl=en

Support options - Contacting Support - Google Voice Help
hxxp://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy

Sharing a number (2 GV accounts 1 phone)
http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115105

Temporary call forwarding (setup from a phone that is not yours)
http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115084

Widget Bug 5/22/09 (maybe fixed by now) GV Forum
From Widgets, if you have GV forward to MJ you would get callers CallerID.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=37749814a3497369&hl=en

Widget in email (work around) GV Forum
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=1c34955f6fa9a1d1&hl=en

Problem fix: Setting Phones with split Schedule Post answered by Ilya2009 (Google Employee) 3/29/09 GV Forum
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=0621e8e8d92dd1cf&hl=en

Tazxx

Smile
macman4hire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All calls free and paid have a 3 hour limit. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=22c8b611970298fe&hl=en
VoipDude

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with 3 hours. To even imagine a conversation longer than that is frightening. Shocked
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Google Voice Info Reply with quote

Good morning, tazxx.

I appreciate all of the direct links to the useful information regarding Google Voice (GV).

tazxx wrote:
I have no clue about the SMS, so I won't open my mouth (just to stick my foot in it, again) with anything tech about that. Some on the GV Forum say they can have them both named "Mobile", I tried and can't do. I heard some of the GC numbers could not be upgraded to GV because of SMS ???, and they were some of the first to get invites to change their number.

My second GV invite arrived yesterday (23 July), which means it took 15 days to receive that invite from the time I requested it.

I setup the second GV account with a forward to my home (Skype) telephone and a schedule that disallows calls in the middle of the night. I created a widget for the new GV account and placed it on my web-site. Now, I can open up my original GV account and use that as my special private line to ring my home (Skype) telephone, T-Mobile wireless telephone (I still haven't decided what to do with T-Mobile) and the Verizon Wireless BlackBerry. This is very neat indeed.

My experience in attempting to setup my wireless telephone numbers on my second GV account was similar to yours. I wasn't able to set them up on the second GV account. Each time I attempted to add my wireless telephone numbers to my second GV account, I received a warning in a small yellow dialog at the top of the GV web page advising me that the telephone number was already added as a mobile telephone number on another GV account.

I did not attempt to change the wireless telephone numbers to type home on my primary GV account to see if I would then be able to add them to the second GV acccount. My guess is that this would function because I was able to add my home (Skype) telephone number to both GV accounts and it is defined as type home on both GV accounts.
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Good Find! Reply with quote

Good morning, macman4hire.

macman4hire wrote:
All calls free and paid have a 3 hour limit. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=22c8b611970298fe&hl=en

This is good information to have.

While I don't like call caps of any kind, three hours is long enough that the likelihood I will encounter it is severely limited. More importantly, the work around for this limitation of Google Voice is to establish a call that may exceed three hours directly between my home (Skype) telephone and the other party. The odds are pretty good that any calls in which I participate that could potentially exceed a three-hour time limit would be calls that I originated from my home (Skype) telephone. So this limit is not likely to impact me in any significant manner.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wasn't able to set them up on the second GV account

You can set it up, just do not call your cellphone a cellphone on either account. Register it as a home phone or work phone. You will not be getting SMSor MMS, but it does not bother me because I disabled that feature on both my cellphones anyway. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: