magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawking Broadband Booster and MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Hawking Broadband Booster and MJ Reply with quote

I'm doing the best I can to get the very best audio quality possible from the phone and I have been working with the tech support team at MJ to get this done. They have had a support person working with me by email all day Thursday and one of the things we did was go into administration tools on my pc and shut off the wireless service. This helped the sound some and then I called my dsl provider which is Qwest and the checked the line and I was not getting the right connection speed so this was raised and it helped alot. I made a long distance call this morning and it was fine at first but then it started to break up. I now want to add the HawkingHBB1 Broadband Booster and have some questions on it. It says it goes between the router and the modem but if you have a combo router/modem like I do, you need to get a internet switch. It dosen't say what kind of switch though would any internet switch work? Has anyone used this devce or using it now and has it made a difference in your voip calls audio signal. I want to be able to do big downloads while using the phone and with this device it's supposed to be possible to do.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to to set QOS on your WRT54G. Also try installing DD-WRT, if you even just do QOS you will get great resaults.
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what any of that is Kumar, can you please break into English for me?
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok-I got the QOT-quality of service, but I don't have the Linsky device, therefor no wrt.
dukeomaha
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumar is right. If you have the linksys WRT54G router, setting up QoS on it to reserve bandwidth for the IP address of the PC running MJ would achieve the same (maybe even better than) result as the Hawking Broadband Booster you mentioned. I'm not sure if you already have the wrt54g. If you do, use it and save your money and the extra wirings.

From your other posts in other threads, it seems you're having a bandwidth problem with your ISP. If that's the case, doing any of these QoS may not help you much, if at all.

Since your modem is already a combo modem/router, running another router behind it before going into your PC could increase some latency, because, in effect, you're cascading 2 routers. I have this same set-up (modem/router combo and another router behind it) and same Qwest isp, but I have no problems at all.

You might want to try connecting your pc running mj directly behind the Qwest modem/router combo and see if the call quality improves at all. Play around and change only one variable at a time and compare results.

However, if it's the isp issue, it's really beyond your control. You'll have to talk to Qwest to resolve it. It could be the problem with the telephone wiring outside of your house - ya never know.
xlines
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently testing the MJ and so far, I like it alot. I am seriously considering dropping my phone provider - Vonage. Thanks for the info about QoS. When I attempted to open the "Voice" tab in my router software to check QoS, I got this message - "Access to the Voice tab is restricted by Vonage. Contact Vonage for more information." What do I do now?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QOS on your router, not the Vonage Router.
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dukeomaha
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlines,

Vonage locks all of their voip devices so that you can't use them with other providers - unless you can unlock them; so you can't go into the "voice" tab. QoS settings are not in the "voice" tab anyway, so you don't need to go there to configure QoS.

Which Vonage router do you have? is it Motorola VT2442 or VT2142?
xlines
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am misunderstanding you, kumar, the Vonage router is my router.

My router is a wireless Linksys Broadband router, with 2 phone ports (WRTP54G).

thanks for helping to understand all of this, guys. Your expertise is most appreciated.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlines wrote:
Unless I am misunderstanding you, kumar, the Vonage router is my router.

My router is a wireless Linksys Broadband router, with 2 phone ports (WRTP54G).

thanks for helping to understand all of this, guys. Your expertise is most appreciated.

Oh, sorry I didn't know you had one of em routers. In that case, i haev no idea.
Peace
Kumar
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumar, the Hawking setup says to use a internet switch if you have a router/modem combo. I do and don't know what type of switch they mean. Any idea? Just any internet switch? and can any of these plug into each other for ac power?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: