magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haiti & Church Missionaries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Source: Reuters - Haiti judge to free U.S. missionaries in kidnap case
Quote:
"The order will be to release them," the source, who asked not to be named, told Reuters. The decision has not yet been made public.

"One thing an investigating judge seeks in a criminal investigation is criminal intentions on the part of the people involved and there is nothing that shows that criminal intention on the part of the Americans," the source said.
At last . . . an objective report. That's fine.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
VaHam wrote:
Quote:
"The order will be to release them," the source, who asked not to be named, told Reuters. The decision has not yet been made public.

"One thing an investigating judge seeks in a criminal investigation is criminal intentions on the part of the people involved and there is nothing that shows that criminal intention on the part of the Americans," the source said.

Kudos to the subjective sources who turned out to be on the right side of the issue.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
VaHam wrote:
Quote:

That is about the best concession response I would expect from a lawyer when his accusations are unfounded Smile

It appears that the "unnamed source" above has since been identified as the presiding judge in the matter Bernard Saint-vil. According to the Reuters report above he said he "there is nothing that shows criminal intention" and he is recommending releasing the missionaries. He made that statement on Wednesday Feburary 10, 2010 and our missionaries remain locked up in some stinking jail until at least Monday when terms of their release will be made public.

What I find still disturbing is that the Haitian prime minister made the same false rush to judgment early on and labeled the missionaries "kidnappers" as well.

Now the primeminister says:
Source: Haiti judge recommends freeing US missionaries
Quote:
The Haitian prime minister has warned that the case is a "distraction" from earthquake recovery.

So he makes extreme false accusations and then complains about distractions. Rolling Eyes When people give of themselves and are then treated in such a horrible manner that is travesty of justice. The prime minister should retract his words and be working for a full and swift release of the well intentioned missionaries, if he truly seeks to relieve the distraction. If as the presiding judge has said there is no evidence of bad intentions then you run the risk of loosing help from other good intentioned people when you treat these missionaries so badly.

According to reports he changed the rules and required that all adoption matters and requires his signature personally, which creates a bottleneck in helping those suffering. While I understand the need to protect the children from truly unscrupulous child traffickers; creating roadblocks which lead to even well intentioned missionaries being subjected to harsh treatment is not conducive to helping his people.

In a country where corruption has been reported to be rampant it does make me wonder about possible motives for requiring a personnel signature from such a high ranking official. The motive could be to protect from having lower ranking officials make decisions who may do so based on bribes. It could also mean that knowing bribes are controlling the process; it would certainly be a means to assure that you get your cut from the underlings. Since I would think the prime minister has many issues on his plate in this time of destruction I would be very surprised if he had time to personally investigate each action himself. If he is signing the documents based on investigations performed by underlings anyway why not simply delegate the signature authority to those underlings who are actually doing the investigations?

Now the talk is that the missionaries may only be released on the equivalent of bail and may not even be allowed to return home while while an investigation continues. If the presiding judge has already determined that they had no criminal intent and in this time of chaos there in Haiti is seems unwise to me to make pawns of the American missionaries. LET OUR PEOPLE GO!

It seems obvious they could only be guilty of some paperwork infractions and if that is the case and the Haitian government sees fit to continue to treat people who are with good intentions trying to help them that in such a manner; that all help to them should be held until the matter is finally resolved, just as I said in the OP.

Our government should be demanding that since the presiding judge has already said the was nothing to indicate criminal that the missionaries be released immediately and transported to one of our ships in the harbor for medical treatment.

I remain afraid that certain elements in the Haitian government see this as an opportunity to hold the missionaries hostage in an attempt to have the US pay to rebuild their jails and courthouse facilities.

All this to do about missionaries who have been found to have had good intentions while the government of Haiti does little to round up the thousands of true criminals roaming the streets there following the collapse of their prison makes little sense as they run the risk of loosing support the Haitian people desperately need, unless you add in the motive of trying to get the US to pay for their rebuilding process.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote

It is about time the last of these good Samaritans are released!

Source: Remaining 2 American Missionaries to Be Freed From Haiti Jail
Quote:
On Tuesday, Judge Bernard Sainvil said he would release them due to lack of "criminal grounds," Reuters reported.

Yes the link is from FOX who had the story right all along, as it turns out!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Update on Status of Haiti Missionaries Reply with quote

Source: CNN - Judge drops kidnapping charge against U.S. missionary
Quote:
American missionary Laura Silsby will stand trial in Haiti on a charge of arranging irregular travel, a judge ruled Monday, but more serious charges against her and nine fellow missionaries were dropped.

Months to years in jail for "arranging irregular travel" = nice reward for those who try to help you!

But hey it would be a nice way to get the US to build new court houses and jails for you.
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Haiti & Church Missionaries Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
I mean dees anyone seriously believe that they were doing anything other than trying to help some poor children. If the government of Haiti can't treat folks who are trying to help better than that; then we should give our military orders to evacuate all US citizens put them on our ships there and leave. See how long that stupid government stays in power after we leave because of their actions!

It's a good thing you stated clearly "government of Haiti" to avoid confusion, LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: