magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glitches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sligg
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Glitches Reply with quote

MJ is working reasonably well but still there are glitches which I don't think MJ will ever resolve. MJ quality of service will never be comparable to a land line.

These glitches happen some of the time.

1. Pick up phone to dial but no dial tone. Hit flash button on phone, dial tone comes on.

2. Dial a number, get 3 short beeps, then silence. Redial number, then call goes through.

3. During a call, in or out, get a short burst of sound in background like a screech. This has been going on since July. This happened with 3 different cordless phones and 1 corded phone. Tech says they will work on it, four months ago and still no fix.

4. Auto start works intermittently.

5. Sometimes there is an echo.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Glitches Reply with quote

sligg wrote:
MJ is working reasonably well but still there are glitches which I don't think MJ will ever resolve. MJ quality of service will never be comparable to a land line.

1. Pick up phone to dial but no dial tone. Hit flash button on phone, dial tone comes on.

2. Dial a number, get 3 short beeps, then silence. Redial number, then call goes through.

3. During a call, in or out, get a short burst of sound in background like a screech. This has been going on since July. This happened with 3 different cordless phones and 1 corded phone. Tech says they will work on it, four months ago and still no fix.

I get the same glitches, but number 3 (knock on wood). I don't really care because its $40 and am getting what paid for. Also since they are in beta their is no way that they can not have glitches. I am hopping when they announce 1 year in March I think they will make it non beta (w/e you call it) and mabey discount jacks on the birthday?
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Glitches Reply with quote

sligg wrote:

6. Certain phone #'s (Toll Free and others) get disconnected for no apparent reason -- possibly by the random keypad beeps we sometimes hear. I have heard this from quite a few friends who have bought MJs on my recommendation, Crying or Very sad

And alas some have reported to MJ ... with ... no response.
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having any of those problems on my 3 magicJacks! I just finished listening to a teleseminar on Internet Marketing and the audio was so crystal clear on magicJack. It was just like I was sitting right in front of the speaker giving the seminar! I love magicJack! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trodecke
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI for those that believe MJ isn't listening to your reports. I don't work for MJ so I have no idea if they really are listening or not. However, coming from a tech background I do know that if you're developing a product for the masses (50k or so current customers I believe), and you're really trying to break new ground (VoIP isn't new but VoIP at the cost point MJ is shooting for is unheard of), two things happen;

1) You prioritize your work. Generally make/break fixes come first, new features come second, and the less intrusive/common fixes come last.

2) You don't always have time to get back to individuals that report problems.

As MJ is still in beta I would encourage anyone and everyone to report the problems they're having. Don't complain about them but do report them. The more reports there are of a particular problem, the more likely MJ will be to fix it quickly.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason if i have MJ running for a while but haven't had any calls coming in or going out in a while, when I go to make a call - I get a dial tone but the call doesn't go through.

But if i use my cell, call my MJ number, it'll connect and afterwards I can make outgoing calls just fine. So now before making a call I do a quick call to my MJ using my cell, after one ring I hang-up and then call out with no problems on my MJ.

Kind of a pain but not painful.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trodecke wrote:
Just an FYI for those that believe MJ isn't listening to your reports. I don't work for MJ so I have no idea if they really are listening or not. However, coming from a tech background I do know that if you're developing a product for the masses (50k or so current customers I believe), and you're really trying to break new ground (VoIP isn't new but VoIP at the cost point MJ is shooting for is unheard of), two things happen;

1) You prioritize your work. Generally make/break fixes come first, new features come second, and the less intrusive/common fixes come last.

2) You don't always have time to get back to individuals that report problems.

As MJ is still in beta I would encourage anyone and everyone to report the problems they're having. Don't complain about them but do report them. The more reports there are of a particular problem, the more likely MJ will be to fix it quickly.

For the Record, I think MJ is a fabulous CONCEPT at an incredible PRICEPOINT with an immense POTENTIAL to turn Telecom as we know it on its "ear."

But for Success to occur, Concept ... must come with Execution.

A number of us on the forum are a bit familiar with SDLC and how to put out Commercial Software/Hardware.

AFAIK, there has not been much, if any, communication FROM MJ to "Beta Testers" on these issues ... technically, I am a Beta Tester (with numerous MJs and COUNTLESS MJ referral Customers) and I have reported on a number of things for quite a few months. It sucks to Refer people to a Product and they can't even get simple communication from the company.

Also, were you aware of the "Official" Forum that existed and issues reported there??

In any case, I don't think most people here are looking to "complain" about issues -- they are just at a high level of frustration trying to communicate with a COMMUNICATIONS company that rarely communicates while they try to get their "jack" working. (FYI: Beta Testers ought to be the First to know; not the Last. And how many Betas have you PAID to join? I do realize that you are benefiting from the Service while in Beta so I won't belabor this point).

You want to know a VERY easy way to quell the anxiety/frustration and get your "Beta Testers" on your side???

Create a Status Page (Network Status and Project, i.e., "Beta" Status) -- that is "low hanging fruit" that has been requested since at least July 2007. (i.e., it can be a non-interactive web page)

1st basic lesson of keeping Customers happy: "Tell them (Customers) something" (i.e., Communicate with them) -- it doesn't have to be "finished" or "ready" or "perfect"; but set the appropriate expectations and the ride is a LOT smoother (and I don't mean announce some new Features via the "Marketing Machine" -- leave that up to Micro$oft who are masters at that).

trodecke, believe me when I tell you, I am the LAST person on earth who has TIME to be whining on an online Forum about stuff, but I also have the investment of having influenced easily AT LEAST 200 MJ sales to protect ... who I am now having to play Tech Support for.

If I had known it would be like this I would have kept my mouth shut (as I would normally do) and just bought ONE for myself.
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm at the office this morning and I'm getting an error 401 with message "Please restart your magicJack and try again."
So I go to the softphone menu and click on Advance users then I click on restart. Next I get error 3 with message "Please connect to the Internet and double click here."
I do that and screen goes to Registration and ask me for my e-mail address and password which I input and click next then I get error 3 again. I retry again and now it's back to error 401. Sad

Oh well, hopefully the problem will be solved soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlaninKY wrote:
Well, I'm at the office this morning and I'm getting an error 401 with message "Please restart your magicJack and try again."
So I go to the softphone menu and click on Advance users then I click on restart. Next I get error 3 with message "Please connect to the Internet and double click here."
I do that and screen goes to Registration and ask me for my e-mail address and password which I input and click next then I get error 3 again. I retry again and now it's back to error 401. Sad

Oh well, hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

That is why I don't think it is the most famous MJ ... yet (Smile sorry AlaninKY, couldn't resist)
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I almost never have any problems with magicJack. I guess it is a problem on their end right now which will be corrected soon I hope.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlaninKY wrote:
Oh well, I almost never have any problems with magicJack. I guess it is a problem on their end right now which will be corrected soon I hope.

I hear you ... it is not yet a "Landline" replacement but possibly a (US/Canada) "Long Distance" replacement.
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:

I hear you ... it is not yet a "Landline" replacement but possibly a (US/Canada) "Long Distance" replacement.

That's the way I use mine. I'm required to have a POTS line in order to get ADSL. I stripped said line to bare minimums, and I use MJ fo my outgoing calls. So far it works very well, except for that one night.
Call quality has been good to excellent. Reliability has been good. But......., NOTHING beats the reliability of POTS!
Of course, as I type this, I started my MJ for the day and I get the "Please restart your MagicJack" message. Sad A restart of the laptop and a restart of MJ and I am back in business Very Happy Oh well
That's why it's not a "Landline" replacement.

Donn
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My magicJack at the office just connected by itself! I successfully made a call on it with crystal clear audio as usual! Razz
Charles7Strod
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: just my 2 cents Reply with quote

Just thought I would mention that I have had many issues with my magicjack.
I've been using it since Sunrocket died. Started off great--worked all the time, sound was crystal clear.
However, a month down the road I started having weekends, usually Sundays, go dead. No one could call me and I couldn't call out. This was well documented in the magicjack forum. However, as time has gone on things have gotten worse.
1. Still days of no service, usually weekends. With no warning.
2. Upgrades at times kill my magicjack and it won't work on my computer....after a while of messing it starts working again.
3. Choppy calls. Some numbers are very choppy, to the point that you can not have a conversation. This is rather random, and to top it off the same # will be fine on another day.
4. Echo.
5. Times when I can hear the caller only or they can hear me only--makes for a one sided conversation Smile.

I hope magicjack gets back to what they were in beta 2 Wink
Shouldn't it get better when you get out of beta Very Happy

Anyways.....I was hoping to use magicjack as a primary but it isn't working out, thus ultimatley because I have to have a "real phone" magicjack becomes redundant, and I don't really keep redundant things.

Just to let you all know......there are others having issues Smile
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For teh choppy issue did u try QOS settings on your router? What kinda router do u got?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumar I have the chopy sound and every once in awhile I get a high pitch spike that sounds like the internet breaking through. I have a Westell 327W have you heard of this before? Thanks
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaerd58 wrote:
Kumar I have the chopy sound and every once in awhile I get a high pitch spike that sounds like the internet breaking through. I have a Westell 327W have you heard of this before? Thanks

Are you running torrents? That's the only time I've experienced anything like that
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No torrents installled right now. wasn't downloading anything.computer is in sleep mode and lowpower standby and no hd activity?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: