magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

giganews?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neo2121
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: giganews? Reply with quote

I have been using giganews for years anyone else use news servers to download stuff?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: giganews? Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
I have been using giganews for years anyone else use news servers to download stuff?

I have been reading Newsgroups since I first got on the net in 92. WEALTH of info there for all. Like mini BBS's ( HA if anyone remembers what those are!!)
I still use Gravity to read and also d/l binaries there..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: giganews? Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:

The major appeal of nntp for me was access to d/l's from the binary groups. With the prevalence of goodies available via torrentz they have not kept their interest for me. Was a big easynews fan.
Most decent text based content still available via no cost means. Would not subscribe to a news service strictly for the text based stuff unless they had something not available elsewhere
neo2121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that charter has started throttling nntp traffic. I haven't ever seen this before its either throttling or routing issues. But with speed test on giganews website I'm seeing 8015 kbps. I normally see between 2500 - 3000 while downloading. The last few days I haven't seen above 500 with or without SSL. I am at the end of my billing cycle I did grab 300gb worth of stuff this month. Just wondering if anyone else uses giganews and was experiencing slow speeds
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully my ISP has their own News Server and it is uncensored and fast.
Sadly free torrent sites have faded. Even MiniNova went bye bye and now ISOHunt has crap of late..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neo2121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten anything from a torrent in 4 years. I'm just irritated because I'm paying for an upgraded connection only to download at DSL speeds. You don't need a 12 mbps connection to Google shit I pay so I can download fast

well I have slow speeds one port 119 and 563 but if I use port 80 I am back to 2000 kbps. Must be a routing issue with ISP
TransferCutter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isohunt for torrents and I still subscribe to easynews.com
Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to get into a decent private torrent site. You play on public torrent sites and you are asking for trouble. PiSexy.org has free sign-up's now and again. And no it's not just for .. Lots of great DVD and BlueRay rips, etc. Worth checking out.
neo2121

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkbob wrote:
You guys need to get into a decent private torrent site. You play on public torrent sites and you are asking for trouble. PiSexy.org has free sign-up's now and again. And no it's not just for .. Lots of great DVD and BlueRay rips, etc. Worth checking out.

play with any torrent sites and you can get into trouble. news groups with a good VPN and SSL is still the safest way to download. Uploading is where you get caught with P2P plus its slow as shit. I want a PS3 game and I dont want it to take 12 hours to download I want it in 2 hours max
synchron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to be on Astraweb for $11 monthly but ever since I found out about Blocknews and their sister frugal usenet service, I've cut this bill in half. Been with them since Dec and only pay $6/mo for 100 day retention. I paid another $14 for a 100G block for those occasional downloads that are over 100 days old, which I've only used up about 15%.

I've essentially "cut the cord" as far as cable/sat HD settops/services go.

Synchron Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: