magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
General Phone Security Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: General Phone Security Question Reply with quote

I had a recent "issue" come up that I would love some input on.

I have had a GoogleVoice number for a few years. It has been used almost exclusively for texting with my children. In any event it was set up in State "A".

I had a relative with some severe health problems who needed some help so for a while I have been in State "B". This person has a Comcast phone and internet, which I have been using. I have the GV app set up on the Chrome browser and have continued to use it for texting only. I have not used it for actual phone services at all.

Unfortunately, the relative passed away a few months ago and I have been helping wrap up the Estate issues. Today I received a call from one of her creditors looking for "the person responsible for handling the affairs of the Estate" ON MY GOOGLEVOICE NUMBER.

Note that other than using the same internet connection, there is no relation between her and my GV number. Are they tapping into the internet connection or my kids phone records (who were also related to the deceased)? Is there a way through the ISP address to make a connection between her Comcast Phone and my GV # on the browser?

Any opinions as to WTF is going on would be appreciated. I tend not to be the paranoid type, but this has me a bit spooked.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not see any connection between an ISP connection and your GV number that a creditor could become aware of. The only thing I could think of is Chrome's auto fill accidentally put your number in somewhere when filling out some form online. Pure speculation on my part though.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sabresfan on this.
But if you want to have more input from experts you may want to post this on DSLreports' VOIP forum.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I agree with Sabresfan on this.
But if you want to have more input from experts you may want to post this on DSLreports' VOIP forum.

Did that right after I posted it here in their Security forum section. So far, nothing.

I tend to never use the auto-fill for forms but certainly have not used it for this GV number in over a year, and definitely not on this computer. Although the number could certainly be in there waiting to pop out. In that event, that would lead to the conclusion that there is a leak in GV and/or Chrome which I guess is not surprising. But that still wouldn't explain how they were able to connect it to the deceased relative, if not through the ISP.

As a side note, the only contact from the debt collector has been a letter, a call to the deceased relatives Comcast phone, and a call to my GV phone. All 3 happened today btw. No calls to my kids phones that I texted to. So at this point it doesn't look like a fishing expedition by the debt collector who got "lucky" and stumbled across the number. I'm baffled.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would try in this case to ask that guy a direct question and listen what he says and how he reacts.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
One thing I would try in this case to ask that guy a direct question and listen what he says and how he reacts.

I was planning on calling them back next week. I was waiting to see if they would call again which so far they haven't, on either number. It appears to be a decent sized company, so I'm assuming unless I can get to talk to someone past the first level, they won't have much of a clue on where they got the number. But I don't intend to go away easy. Smile
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can (vaguely) promise them some money if they cooperate... Very Happy
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google makes it very plain in every agreement for every service they offer -- Google promises to read everything you send or receive using their services and to make that information to whomever they please. I don't imagine it would take very much effort at all for a collection agency to use third party cookies to track the comings and goings of anyone who used your relative's Comcast service.

Certainly, everything anyone does on any Chrome browser, unprotected Google search or Google Voice client using your relative's Comcast service is likely shared fully amongst those "free" services. How do think they are "free"?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
Google makes it very plain in every agreement for every service they offer -- Google promises to read everything you send or receive using their services and to make that information to whomever they please. I don't imagine it would take very much effort at all for a collection agency to use third party cookies to track the comings and goings of anyone who used your relative's Comcast service.

Certainly, everything anyone does on any Chrome browser, unprotected Google search or Google Voice client using your relative's Comcast service is likely shared fully amongst those "free" services. How do think they are "free"?

There is obviously a leak somewhere. And I know Google is the boogie-man of the internet. I just find it a little hard to believe that a GV number I have had for at least 2 years has only received this one "unnatural" call, if Google is making my GV number that readily available. One would think I, and others, would have been receiving tele-marketing calls out the wazoo on our GV numbers.

To be honest, I'm more inclined to think that the leak is at the Comcast end. A connection was made with my GV number through Comcast, as opposed to a connection to Comcast and the relatives Comcast phone through my GV number.
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
One would think I, and others, would have been receiving tele-marketing calls out the wazoo on our GV numbers..

I get telemarketing calls on google voice at least twice a week.. last one was for a security system..
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mphixson wrote:
I get telemarketing calls on google voice at least twice a week.. last one was for a security system..

Interesting. Of course you may have used the number for local or on-line business/shopping situations. I personally don't think Google is selling them to tele-marketers for that purpose. I have had 4 or 5 GV numbers in the last few years, 2 of them pretty heavily, and have never received one. But then I have never used them for anything other than texts and anonymous calling situations.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered my GV numbers immediately with both the national and state do not call list and quite frankly, I get much more telemarketing calls on my cell phones than on GV. Similarily, I had no problems with DID's from SIP providers like Localphone or Callcentric.
However, since my last birthday I have been getting funeral service offers on my e-mail accounts. I guess they think I am too old or something.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I registered my GV numbers immediately with both the national and state do not call list and quite frankly, I get much more telemarketing calls on my cell phones than on GV. Similarily, I had no problems with DID's from SIP providers like Localphone or Callcentric.
However, since my last birthday I have been getting funeral service offers on my e-mail accounts. I guess they think I am too old or something.

- LOL. I have to admit I occasionally get scam and marketing calls on my cell phone (in spite of that number being listed on the "do not call" registry) but *never* on my MJ numbers.
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my MJ for 5-6 years now, had first and only scam call last week; "extended car warranty" - or something like that.
Blinn Moris
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that time, that would cause to the summary that there is a flow in GV and/or Firefox which I think is not amazing. But that still wouldn't describe how they were able to link it to the dead comparative, if not through the ISP.

Please make me suggestions and visit here in:
Communications Services Australia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: