magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free SIP calling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno-pagan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Free SIP calling Reply with quote

Not really MagicJack related but I figured I'd tap into the VOIP knowledge here, LOL.

A little background:

I purchased two MJ's a few months ago. One was for myself for use with LONG teleconference calls. Unfourtunately MJ doesn't work with AT&T teleconference services (at least not at this point). No big deal, I got a "toy".

The second MJ was for my mother to make LD calls to friends out of state. Mom is 77 YO and does not have LD service on her Verizon land line so she was using calling cards or "call backs" (she'd call and then the other party would call her back). They typically speak for an hour or so and that method seemed to work for them.

So I get her a MJ and for the most part she has liked it. She can make the calls and not worry about the calling card and having someone call her back. But being close to 80 she is not the most tech savvy (actually she wouldn't be even if she was 40, lol) and when there are issues she usually gets frustrated. I've explained to reboot, unplug/replug the MJ but I usually get a call on my cell when things don't go perfectly.

So my thought was to move her to an ATA solution - preferable with the MJ but it looks like that will have to go on hold for a while.

I picked up a couple of unlocked Linksys SIP routers (one for me to figure it out, and one for her) and started Google-ing. I found this:

http://www.voipcheap.com/en/sipp.html

They mention *FREE* calls to the USA (Landlines & Mobile) and give info on configuring the ATA's.

Any comments from the experts?????
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err check the little star....next to free...then u scroll down and its like 300 min limit a week for 140 then check out our rates (1 cent). After the 140 days i jsut sign up again....but still a penny per minute is dirt cheap....Sign up for IPkall forward that to [email protected] and then forward GC to the ipkall number and you are set for incoming... Servers are in Germany so you may notice a slight lag. I am no expert, but that is my experience.
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
techno-pagan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
Err check the little star....next to free...then u scroll down and its like 300 min limit a week for 140 then check out our rates (1 cent). After the 140 days i jsut sign up again....but still a penny per minute is dirt cheap....Sign up for IPkall forward that to [email protected] and then forward GC to the ipkall number and you are set for incoming... Servers are in Germany so you may notice a slight lag. I am no expert, but that is my experience.
Peace
Kumar

Ah, I see you get 90 "freedays" after which it is 0.015 per minute (to the US). There is always a catch, LOL.

Thanks for the heads up - I guess I need to learn to read better Smile

I might try just to see how to configure my router to make SIP calls while I wait to be able to use BYOD MagicJack service.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you will have to purchase some credits first before you could even make some free calls. I don't like giving out my credit card info to them just to make some free calls. Their idea is: just in case you run over the free minutes they could start charging you right way (deducting your prepaid credits).

I would prefer not buying any credit for free calls and if I run over the free minutes then they should play announcement reminding you to purchase credit.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic...no i have been using it for a year and didnt pay a dime yet...just keep making new accounts..
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that? I'm talking about free SIP-to-PSTN/cell USA calls. Hmmm, let me try to set up my SIP box using my old account to see what happens.
techno-pagan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
I believe you will have to purchase some credits first before you could even make some free calls. I don't like giving out my credit card info to them just to make some free calls. Their idea is: just in case you run over the free minutes they could start charging you right way (deducting your prepaid credits).

I would prefer not buying any credit for free calls and if I run over the free minutes then they should play announcement reminding you to purchase credit.

I signed up for "giggles" and to test the unlocked sip router I bought and at first it told me I did not have enough credits to make a call (called my cell). I at least knew the router was working and I don't really care about the service - but I tried again about an hour later and the call to my cell went through. Then I called my mother on her landline and it seemed to work fine. A slight echo at first and a little delay as Kumar mentioned.

I'm with you though - had I needed to purchase credits I would just stopped there. I may use it for the next 90 "freedays" but I don't see using it long term - and I certainly won't pay for it.

I'll cross my fingers for the BYOD with MagicJack and have comfort in knowing my router is functional.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the VoipCheap registration email that I got late last year, free calls are limited to 1-minute each:

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxx,

Your VoipCheap registration details are:
Username : xxxxxx
Password : xxxxxx

You can now make FREE calls to several countries. These calls are limited to 1 minute per call.

If you want UNLIMITED calls to our FREE destinations please go to our website and buy credit.
Click here to go to our website: http://www.voipcheap.com/en/buycredits.html

Other useful links:

- How does VoipCheap work? Click here: http://www.voipcheap.com/en/instructions.html

- You can find our rates here: http://www.voipcheap.com/en/rates.html

- Send textmessages (SMS) to mobile phones using VoipCheap: http://www.voipcheap.com/en/sms.html

- If you have any questions, visit our FAQ: http://www.voipcheap.com/en/faq.html

Kind regards,
VoipCheap Customer Services
www.voipcheap.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh.....lol...then sign up for VOIPbuster...then VOIPDiscount then VoIPwise...etc etc...
Peace
Kumar
louissn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have voipdiscount look the same as cheapvoip. It work fine for out going calling you buy $10eur and you get free unlimited (6 hours a 7 day period) for 90 or 120 days then it is 1.1 cent reduce from you $10 for US calls or you could add another $10 and get free call again but I would run it down first. Caller ID is not your phone number last time I used it but you can use the same account with your mom and the only thing she may have to do is unplug and plug the ATA in. Sipdiscount is the same and give you info for you ATA config the other I think do it also or you could use a softphone when you travel on you laptop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: