magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forget Thin Clients use a Compaq Ipaq SFF Computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkcdlm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Forget Thin Clients use a Compaq Ipaq SFF Computer Reply with quote

I use a Compaq Ipaq PIII 500 with 256 megs ram, 4 GB CF Drive with Windows XP (not XPe) and it works great. No update issues and the dang thing was cheaper than trying to find a HP Thin Client on Ebay. It also uses very little power due it its small power supply. These Ipaq mini computers are really cheap on Ebay. The internal sound card works just fine with MJ. These Hitachi 4GB microdrives are cheap on ebay..like $20 or you can buy a Compaq PIII 733 with 128 megs ram, 10GB HD for only $22.50. What a deal! Ebay Ipaq Example
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea. Its not going to be as small as a TC, but it is cheaper. Also, you should install the EWF driver since you are using a CF (unless its a microdrive) to prevent it from being written to as much. Here is a link with instructions on finding the files and setting them up - http://granturing.blogspot.com/

I run a full nlited copy of regular XP on my 5710 as well.
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of memory do they accept?

Edit:
I found this via google. The max appears to 512MB (256x2).

Ram

Installed Size: 128 MB / 512 MB (max)

Technology: SDRAM

Memory Speed: 100 MHz

Form Factor: DIMM 168-PIN

Upgrade Rule: Max 256 MB module
gnowk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=404204&sid=44db0f6ed236363313f042ffe0be7fef

Looks like it uses 32W idle. The T5710 is about 11W.

Yeah, much cheaper than the thin client. The money saved will help pay for the electricity.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the thin client comes with an operating system, if you don't have a spare license of Windows XP for the iPaq to use, that would be an additional cost.
rdb4133
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this!! Smile I actually purchased a Shuttle KPC just as a MJ box, but this is a MUCH better deal! I got one of the ones off eBay for $37.45 ($22.50 + $14.95 S/H). It comes with a P3 733, 128MB RAM, 10GB HD & CD-ROM drive. I'll see how it runs on 128MB of RAM with an extra XP Pro license I have laying around. But I'll see if I can find two 256MB SDRAM chips at work laying around to bump it up to 512MB.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI for those interested in this to keep in mind: Heat generation of the P3 -- is somewhat significant.

Not a "put it in an unventilated closet or cabinet" type of scenario ... so just be aware of that.
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Forget Thin Clients use a Compaq Ipaq SFF Computer Reply with quote

jkcdlm wrote:
I use a Compaq Ipaq PIII 500 with 256 megs ram, 4 GB CF Drive with Windows XP (not XPe) and it works great. No update issues and the dang thing was cheaper than trying to find a HP Thin Client on Ebay. It also uses very little power due it its small power supply. These Ipaq mini computers are really cheap on Ebay. The internal sound card works just fine with MJ. These Hitachi 4GB microdrives are cheap on ebay..like $20 or you can buy a Compaq PIII 733 with 128 megs ram, 10GB HD for only $22.50. What a deal! Ebay Ipaq Example

Can I use it to surf the internet with?
maine-iac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's just a computer.
rdb4133
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this PC for gaming? LOL!!! jk! Laughing
xboxuser1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm already running Compaq Ipaq P3 733 with 13 gb hd .... running perfect! To reduce the noise, I'm planning to replace the hd with a CF card .... anbyone can tell me what I need to do this??

Thanks in advance!
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xboxuser1 wrote:
Hi!

I'm already running Compaq Ipaq P3 733 with 13 gb hd .... running perfect! To reduce the noise, I'm planning to replace the hd with a CF card .... anbyone can tell me what I need to do this??

Thanks in advance!

Check out the thread in my signature. You will need a CF to IDE adapter and a CF card. Plus you will want to install the Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) driver unless you want to burn out your flash prematurely.

Make sure you get the 40 pin CF adapter rather than the 44 pin version referenced for the thin client. 40 pin is the standard PATA IDE interface while 44 pin is generally found on laptops.
rdb4133
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
xboxuser1 wrote:
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Check out the thread in my signature. You will need a CF to IDE adapter and a CF card. Plus you will want to install the Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) driver unless you want to burn out your flash prematurely.

Make sure you get the 40 pin CF adapter rather than the 44 pin version referenced for the thin client. 40 pin is the standard PATA IDE interface while 44 pin is generally found on laptops.

Here are two I found on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330246575130 & http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130233107607

Any reason not to use an IDE to SD/MMC adapter like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186045 Especially for some of us who have extra SD Cards laying around?
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use anything that will be seen as an actual hard drive. There are some issues with some CF cards not being seen as a physical hard drive and instead being seen as a removable device. This is not good in XP. In my thread, I gave options for fixing this either using a utility (if your CF is compatible) or some Hitachi microdrive drivers which trick XP into thinking its a fixed drive.
Max ODrive
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of laptops on eBay too.. look around and you can catch one for under $100 .. plus I just saow a ton of Dell Optiplex PIII 1ghz boxes for $20-25.. (saw a lot of 10 for $20.. shipping would be $300, but....)
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/my-new-setup-for-mj-using-win-flp-t1073.html Very Happy
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a compaq ipaq 256 ram 10gb hd. Do you think I could put a full install of windows xp sp3? or should I take the time to install a nlite version?
rdb4133
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillist419 wrote:
I just purchased a compaq ipaq 256 ram 10gb hd. Do you think I could put a full install of windows xp sp3? or should I take the time to install a nlite version?

It should be able to fit on a 10GB drive. Although I did a full install of Windows XP SP2 and had at least 6-7 GB's free.
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillist419 wrote:

Either way will work fine. If you want to get the most speed out of it and feel comfortable with nlite, go that route. If you want something easy or aren't that familiar with customization using nlite, go with a vanilla install.

I'm not a big fan of SP3 and have kept my machines (including my MJ thin client) on SP2. I thought I read an advertisement on the MJ software that said to avoid SP3 a while back due to compatibility issues.

Whatever way you go, disable as many unneeded services and startup programs that you can since you only have 256mb ram. For example, you can disable the print spooler service and free up a good chunk of ram providing you aren't going to run a printer on that box.
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
gillist419 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of SP3 and have kept my machines (including my MJ thin client) on SP2. I thought I read an advertisement on the MJ software that said to avoid SP3 a while back due to compatibility issues.

Whatever way you go, disable as many unneeded services and startup programs that you can since you only have 256mb ram. For example, you can disable the print spooler service and free up a good chunk of ram providing you aren't going to run a printer on that box.

I've run MJ on my "main" computer with sp3 since the update from sp2, and never had a problem. But since I don't have to update to sp3, I don't think I'll take the time to update right now.

My Ipaq will only be running MJ. Nothing else. I don't need it for anything else. I seen the print spooler in the services and disabled it. Thanks for the tip. Are there any other services that you would recommend disabling?

Thanks guys for the help.
stroths

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, I have the ones below disabled. I completed removed the indexing service via nlite, but you can disable it.

ClipBook
DHCP Client (You will need to manually set your IP address and other related settings for this one)
DNS Client
IPSEC Services
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Print Spooler (not needed if you don't have a printer)
Routing and Remote Access
Themes
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) (My MJ computer is behind a firewall, so I disabled this one)
Wireless Zero Configuration (needed if you are using a wireless network adapter on this particular PC)

Here is a complete list of all my services as well as their status - LINK
My list of services might be a little difference since I used nlite to remove some (i.e. indexing)

I run the MJ software as well as another app for updating my dynamic IP on my domain. I run about 130mb with both active and could go lower if I wanted to disable more services, but I don't need to since I have 512mb ram and it runs pretty well as it currently is configured.
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WoW!

Thanks.
packen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything special I need to do to my CF drive to get it ot boot? When installing XP, the first time it goes to restart, it comes back up saying disk error.
Any ideas?
packen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packen wrote:
Is there anything special I need to do to my CF drive to get it ot boot? When installing XP, the first time it goes to restart, it comes back up saying disk error.
Any ideas?

Anybody??
packen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody was able to get xp to install and run on a 4gb Hatachi Microdrive on their ipaq, please tell me how. I have tried everything I can think of and from what I have read, I am not sure it is even possible. The drive is reconized in the bios as a HD and it lets me format and start the installation, but when it gets to the point where it restarts itself the first time, I get a disk error. I guess I will put a small HD in this thing.
angel-78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a dell optiplex pIII 900 ($25.00 craigs list) added ram to 512megs on 4gig CF drive with ide adapter. Removed everything on I didn't need floppy, cd rom so on. Running XP reduced installation with MJ as a service. Worked great now using ATA instaead. Old PIII good way to go for not to much money. ( I installed everything on a regular drive and then ghosted and expanded the image to my CF card. You have to make sure the CF is on your ide convertor and it is set to master and in the same Ide slot your hard drive was in other wise you will have boot issues ( operating system not found)
jose.miami
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Slimming Down Windows XP Professional Using nLite Reply with quote

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

This is a good guide, of how to slim down your windows Xp With nLite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: