magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those who's connection break's up (sound)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choli0090
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: For those who's connection break's up (sound) Reply with quote

Hello All,

For some reason if I am doing something online, the other's callers voice breaks up, but if I'm not doing anything, then it sounds fine. I was at Fry's the other day & saw they had this Broadband Booster for $30

Well I read some reviews & people liked it, so I figured I would try it.

Well all I can say is that the thing works, if I am downloading, watching a video, etc when I make a call I can hear the other caller without the sound breaking up.
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: For those who's connection break's up (sound) Reply with quote

choli0090 wrote:
Hello All,

For some reason if I am doing something online, the other's callers voice breaks up, but if I'm not doing anything, then it sounds fine. I was at Fry's the other day & saw they had this Broadband Booster for $30

Well all I can say is that the thing works, if I am downloading, watching a video, etc when I make a call I can hear the other caller without the sound breaking up.

I download movies from netflix and watch them and be on MJ with no problems... I also play halo, download/play music at the same time and be on MJ with no problems... but this is all on my e6600 duo core (oc'd to 3.0) 2gb ddr2(pc-5200) with 160 gb of space available in my hd... never tested it on my p4 or laptop
choli0090
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gooney,

I do realize that not every one is having issues with their MJ, but at the same time not everyone is having theirs work great either, so I figured I would throw another option for something to try.

Can I ask what your up/down rated speed is & thru what provider?
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choli0090 wrote:
Hi Gooney,

I do realize that not every one is having issues with their MJ, but at the same time not everyone is having theirs work great either, so I figured I would throw another option for something to try.

Can I ask what your up/down rated speed is & thru what provider?

4 mbps down 700 kbps up... Im with comcast high speed internet cable

and also you can tweak your broadband manually or use a free utility to boost your broadband all for free
go here to test your broadband... it will show you recommend broadband tweaking settings http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
then go here http://tweak.us they will show you how to manually tweak your broadband or use a free utility that will do it for you... apply the recommended settings, reboot, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and watch your speed improve.

note: i did this with windows xp and it improved my speed... I didnt need to tweak my vista default setting because it is fast already.

google for "TCP Optimizer" TCPOptimizer.exe is a free broadband booster so you dont have to teak manually
juniorbodine
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: For those who's connection break's up (sound) Reply with quote

choli0090 wrote:
Hello All,

How does it work, by setting up generic QOS rules that favor VOIP over downloads? If your router already has QOS, it probably wouldn't help. But my Netgear mr814v2 doesn't have QOS, so it might be worth a try.

You could go the WRT-DD route with a Linksys router to get QOS. But this device might be cheaper.
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple suggestion to increase the priority of real time communications needs like voice over asynchronous needs like e-mail and browsing in Windows is to:

- Press Alt-Ctrl-Delete to open the Windows Task Manager
- Click on the Processes tab
- Click on the Image Name column
- Scroll to and right-click the application of interest
- Select Set Priority and choose High or Realtime

Note that this change is not persistent from one session to the next. After you exit and then reload the application, you will need to reset its priority, if desired. Does anyone know how to make such a priority settinng persistent?
tomast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prio - Process Priority Saver. Free for personal use.

>>>Does anyone know how to make such a priority settinng persistent?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlieberman wrote:
One simple suggestion to increase the priority of real time communications needs like voice over asynchronous needs like e-mail and browsing in Windows is to:

Note that this change is not persistent from one session to the next. After you exit and then reload the application, you will need to reset its priority, if desired. Does anyone know how to make such a priority settinng persistent?

I found that since most processes run at normal just setting MJ to run at above normal took care of my problems. This would leave the higher level system process to act as they may need to.
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small alternative here that can cause issues

http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol929/ruXP/Internet/fixing.htm

I would also recommend the tcp/ip optimizer

I cannot remember the way it is phrased exactly, but in XP tcp/ip stacks are limited to 10 or something like that.
The optimizer removes this limitation.

If you are using W2000 then you wont have this same limitation built in with the tcp/ip stacks....
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend getting a decent router that has QOS or has a 3rd party firmware upgrade with QOS such as DD-WRT.
Not only will it help your MJ but also if you like to do multiple internet type things (such as torrents, youtube, multimedia in general, surf, check email, talk over voip, online gaming, etc...)
cluster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlieberman wrote:

wow,. this made me stop wanting to throe the MJ away.. it was an almost INSTANT difference..

changed from virtual.. to high .. < would not let me do realtime >

but the next call was WAY BETTER !

thanks for the heads up that it needs to be done every time MJ starts up..

im using an ATT 3G cellular connection as my data connection.
Bendle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

I found that since most processes run at normal just setting MJ to run at above normal took care of my problems. This would leave the higher level system process to act as they may need to.

I had similar experience when I changed my MJ to run as a service. I also configured XP Advanced System Properties (right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Performance Settings button) to use a greater share of processor time to run Background Services.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: