magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally got a great setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Finally got a great setup Reply with quote

Thanks to the xlite plugin and sipsorcery I can now use google voice completely with MJ. After a few test calls everything seems to be working great. If your into playing around with this stuff I recommend you try it out I learned a lot in the process and killed a few cases of beer to.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan... could you elaborate a little? I went to the sipsorcery site and downloaded the zip file, but I'm not exactly sure how to get started from there.

I'll confess I've only skimmed the documentation, but I would greatly appreciate if you can suggest a starting point.

As we say in Los Angeles, much grass.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is setup an account with sipsorcery. I would start with this http://sipsorcery.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/google-voice-app-tutorial/ it gives an explanation on getting started. This is what others on the forum have moved on to after getting tired of the cat and mouse game with MJ and getting an ata to work.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XLNT! Thank you.... I'll look at it asap.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan.... although I never got the sipsorcery thing to work for me, you did put me on the right path. Because of your post, I set up sipgate as a number within Google Voice.

So, now I simply go into Google Voice to make a call, have it routed through my sipgate number and voila! Free calling and the call quality is fantastic, at least so far as I've been able to test.

This may be the easiest solution for me and meets my requirements.

Thanks!
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you have everything setup the way you like it now. With the latest upgrades MJ's call quality at times seems flaky. I have not had a terrible sounding call yet with sipsorcery and having sipgate, gizmo and ipkall all connected. Out of my 2 MJ's the one MJ that's been updated sounds only half as good as the one that's still running on the downgrade from January. I'm going to order a pap2t in the near future and keep MJ around for fun. When I run MJ through xlite it sounds much better than using it the regular way. I hope MJ gets things squared away for people but the latest upgrades seem more like downgrades for the average user.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Can't connect to login server Reply with quote

I have been trying for days now to setup MagicJack with a Linksys PAP2T adapter.
I have downloaded all of the pages and pages of setups found here and followed everything to a T. I have tried with and without DHCP, different proxies, etc., without password so far, although one pmdump file revealed a 32 character alphanumeric sequence as opposed to 20 characters.
I was able to find the SIPProxyURI and the version of MagicJack software I am running is 1.92.5305.3709
I have used every password finding program I could find here and all that comes up is 'ProxyUserPassword: NOT Changed; continu'
Can anyone offer some suggestions?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gonna have to use sipdump if your using windows. I have 2 MJ's and was able to find my sip credentials recently. I had to do ten dumps for each and look through them all to find it. The call quality with an ata is better imho as compared to using the dongle. I used the dongle for over a year with good results but the ata has made the call quality better than ever. I also have a tk6000 now that I'm testing out and so far it works just as good as MJ using an ata. For the price and the "limited" lifetime calling it may be a good alternative if MJ does not work out.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Using MagicJack with Linksys PAP2T Reply with quote

Thank you, sabresfan, for your reply.
I was able to retrieve the password (20 alphanumeric characters) and put it in the Linksys setup.
However, on the registration page, it continues to say "Can't connect to login server."
I have tried every variety of setup I can think of with the same result.
So any suggestions would be great - in the meantime, I'll keep trying - eventually, it has to work :-)
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using MJMD5. You point the ata to the computer or other client (router) that's running MJMD5 and MJMD5 completes the connection to MJ's servers. MJ killed the ability for most ata users back in June to connect directly to their servers without running MJMD5 somewhere on their LAN. Look in the tips, tricks and hacks section and www.magicjackhacks.net/ for detailed instructions on getting MJ with an ata up and running.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Can't connect to login server Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I have followed all of the setup info on the MagicJack unofficial forum and I have set the proxy in MJMD5 as well as line 1 on the ATA to the router IP address, 192.168.1.1:5070.
Still get "Registration error :408 - Request Timeout" on Xlite and "Can't connect to login server" on Linksys PAP2T.
As far as I can tell, I have set everything up as it should be, but no luck.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect to login server Reply with quote

datim1952 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
I have followed all of the setup info on the MagicJack unofficial forum and I have set the proxy in MJMD5 as well as line 1 on the ATA to the router IP address, 192.168.1.1:5070.
Still get "Registration error :408 - Request Timeout" on Xlite and "Can't connect to login server" on Linksys PAP2T.
As far as I can tell, I have set everything up as it should be, but no luck.
The proxy in MJMD5 needs to be the MJ proxy server you connect to. Example is proxy01.newyork.talk4free.com and make sure in the proxy setting in your ata is the ip address of the computer on your LAN running MJMD5. To find out the ip address of your computer for xp go to control panel, click on Network Connections, click on Local Area Connection then Support at the top of that screen. Look at ip address and this will give you the ip address for your computer running MJMD5. This is the ip address you put in the proxy setting on your ata. You seem like your close just putting the wrong address for the ata and MJMD5. 192.168.1.1 is most likely your default gateway.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Can't connect to login server Reply with quote

Still at it - took your advice and changed the proxy in MJMD5 to proxy01.dallas.talk4free.com:5070 and the proxy in the ATA to 192.168.1.4:5070.
Still getting the same message, though.
I am using a static IP address, so DHCP is set to "no" - could that be the problem?
Also set SIP user name to MagicJack/1.92.5305c (SJ Labs) as my MJ sw version is 1.92.5305.3709.
NAT mapping enable is set to "no".
Really at a loss here as to why I can't seem to get this to work, and I really appreciate all the assistance.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and look at this thread here it has a nice writeup on getting MJ to work with MJMD5 and an ata http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/how-to-setup-mjmd5-and-linksys-pap2t-ata-t7593.html if everything is not set correctly then the ata may not register. I hope you get it up and running.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Can't connect to login server Reply with quote

Good morning, sabresfan.
Since my last post, I have been able to finally get to the point where I can make and receive calls without the MagicJack plugged in. It is working well on two wireless network computers, one running XP Pro and the other Windows 7.
My next challenge is how to configure things so that I can use the phone when the computer is turned off, which was my eventual goal through all of this. Apparently, it is possible.
You are definitely right about one thing, though. Since unplugging the Magicjack and making and receiving calls through the Linksys PAP2T, the call quality is greatly improved.
As always, any ideas or suggestions are gratefully accepted :-)

Cheers
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you got it going. If you get it working on a specific router let me know I'm looking to upgrade in the near future.
datim1952
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: MagicJack Reply with quote

Good morning, Sabresfan

Just thought I'd give you an update. Have the MagicJack working on the Linksys and the call quality is great - such a relief not to have that stupid MagicJack startup and ads appear on the screen.
I was able to assign a static IP address to the Linksys from my router.
However, every time I restarted the computer, it would assign a new IP address and I would have to go in tot he LInksys and change the proxy in order to get the phone line working. I finally solved the problem by setting NAT Mapping Enable to "yes", and setting NAT Keep Alive Msg and NAT Keep Alive Dest to the router proxy.
Voila, the computer starts and the phone line engages.
Now, if I could just figure out how to keep the phone line on while the computer is turned off, I would be very happy.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: