magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Finally, Google Voice on an ATA is Here !!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VoIProundthePlanet
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Finally, Google Voice on an ATA is Here !! Reply with quote

http://www.obihai.com/googlevoice.html

Obihai Announces Support for Google Voice on OBi110
Use Google Voice™ on your regular phone and make calls to the USA & Canada for FREE !! **
Make calls to other countries with Google Voice's incredibly low international rates using an OBi110 and your broadband connection to the Internet.

CUPERTINO — 19 January 2011— Today, Obihai Technology announced support for the Google Voice communications service on the OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and Terminal Adaptor. This marks the first time an ATA (Analog Telephone Adaptor) class product, capable of connecting a regular telephone to a Voice over IP service has implemented Google Voice as one of the supported services.

Absolutely Convenient use of Google Voice on a telephone connected to the OBi110 – No PC required.

Amazingly Simple is the best way to describe how to get going with Google Voice on your OBi110. Just add your Gmail credential to the OBi110 and start making calls!

What You Need:
1. The OBi110 – Get it here .
2. Gmail username & password
3. A Telephone – Make A Google Voice call using your everyday phone – no need to be at your computer.

Great Things You Can Do with Google Voice on the OBi110:
- Direct dial calls to the USA and Canada for free! **
- Direct dial calls to other countries at incredibly low international rates!
- Use an Analog Telephone Adaptor-type VoIP device (OBi110) with Google Voice integration in conjunction with the cool features available with Google Voice – e.g. voicemail transcription, on-line voicemail, contact management, international calling, etc.

More Cool Stuff You Can Do with OBi & Google Voice:
- Receive calls to your Google Voice number on the phone attached to the OBi device.
- Use the OBiON app for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices for true VoIP calls using the OBi device to bridge to Google Voice to call traditional numbers.
- Receive calls to your Google Voice number then use the OBi device to bridge to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices using Wi-Fi (without using your cellular mobile minutes).
- Easily set-up Google Voice trunks on your IP PBX phone system – no need for system upgrades or complex configs. The OBi acts as a SIP to Google Voice gateway.

So, What Exactly is an OBi110?
The OBi110 is a stand-alone, dedicated device, built with a high-performance "system on a chip" platform to ensure high-quality voice conversations. The OBi110 has high availability and reliability. It is 'always-on' to make or receive a call. With the OBi110, a computer is not required and a computer does not need to be on to talk on the phone or use the OBi's powerful service bridging features. To get started, all you need is a phone, power and a connection to the Internet.

Set-Up:
1. Sign-in to your Gmail account and make a call from your PC to a regular phone number using the Gmail “Call Phones” feature. If you have already done this before, you can skip this.
2. Connect the OBi110 to a broadband connection via your Internet router.
3. Use one of our configuration wizards to set-up the OBi110 with your Gmail username + password credential.
- At the OBiTALK web portal using the OBi Device Configuration Utility: www.obitalk.com
- Or use the ITSP set-up wizard utility.

Then Start Making Calls!

Pricing and Availability: The OBi110 is $49.99 and it is available from Amazon.com and 888VoipStore.com
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will a product like this last before Google cuts off this service?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
How long will a product like this last before Google cuts off this service?
That's what I was thinking. If this ata can be used with other providers then I might say ok but if it's locked into this single purpose then it will become a paper weight one day. I like the idea. Hopefully someone will test it and give a review.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: after thinking about it, it does not use gizmo5 so is an phone number issued and a callback initiated?
mj777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is being done through the gmail call application. from the google voice end, a call is being sent to the gmail call app. somehow the box is programmed to behave like the gmail app which is able to initiate and receive calls
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 bux for that ATA " The OBi110 " another i think priority device, As they say " The OBi acts as a SIP to Google Voice gateway" Real is the deal, Act don't last long or changes soon to follow for 50 bux!, Good luck after if it happens 99 million join im sure there server will be worse then MJ's in no time.
Ooma Telo ( Premium Service )
VoIP MY Way ( Custom Acct + INTL )
Linksys PAP2T ATA ( UnLocked )
Linksys WRT-310N Router ( Personal Firmware )
Motorola Modem DOCSIS 3.0 SBG6580
jongasse
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This device will be useful only if it does not use a 3rd party to bridge GV calls via SIP. If they have hosted a server that does this, then this ATA would be pretty much a usual ATA.

However, if the product is standalone and does not depend on anything but GV, I WOULD DEFINITELY buy this!

What they would be doing, from what it reads is not hard - I have my own app to interface my MJ adapter with GMail and have been using it instead of MJ's subscription.

Anyone care to call them and clarify?
VoIProundthePlanet
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is posted inside the Google Voice config wizard on the Obihai web site.

"Note about your Gmail username and password: This configuration utility is for easy placement your Gmail username and password information into the OBi device securely using HTTPS encryption. This information is never sent, "In the clear." Your Gmail password is not stored by OBiTALK. Your Gmail username and password are used only by your OBi device to communicate with Google servers. Communication between the OBi device and Google servers is secured using HTTPS."

http://www.obihai.com/itspConfiguration/itspConfiguration-googlevoice.html

So, with that it would mean that there is not a 3rd party protocol translation server / bridge in the mix.

You can see also that the same config wizard can be used for: Broadvoice, Callcentric, InPhonex, Sipgate, Vitelity, VoicePulse and Voip.ms
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATA aside, GV is not dependable enough for me to use as a full time phone service.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ATA aside, GV is not dependable enough for me to use as a full time phone service.

telltom.... I'm curious what kinds of issues you're having. I've been using Google Voice for over a year and don't seem to have any problems, with these exceptions:

1.) GV will randomly turn call recording on during a conversation which is maddening and embarrassing. It does seem to be happening less these days, and I believe it is a flaw inherent to VoIP and dtmf. I would just as soon GV drop call recording anyway since it can only be turned on if someone calls you.

2.) Call quality is usually very acceptable but once in a while not so much and I also get the occasional dropped call, although that could just as easily be the fault of VZW.

FWIW, I have GV set up to make all my outgoing calls on my cellphone, except to those who I know have Verizon Wireless. It is also set up to show as my caller ID on my ooma device.

Early on I recognized Google may not continue to support GV forever, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:

telltom.... I'm curious what kinds of issues you're having. I've been using Google Voice for over a year and don't seem to have any problems

I was wondering the same thing. I've been using it for about 3 months, 2-3 times a week, usually with very long calls and never had a problem. I thought maybe I was just lucky because of the small frequency of calls I make.
neo2121

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone bought the device and used it?
msiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is possible for this company to set this ATA up, why isn't there a feasible way to set up our own ATA with Google Voice Credentials? I have tried the Sipsorcery route, that is flaky. I had some success with it but, it is very unreliable.. Besides that, the SipSorcery is all online set up that you have to give the credentials to the webmaster in your dial plan... That isnt such a warm and fuzzy feeling.. I like warm and fuzzy. Of course, one could use another GV accout to set it up. but, that isnt the route I would want to go either.. So.. Com on folks.. What is the route needed to get this done easier and put it on my own ATA, which I think I have around 10 Inno Media s from SunRocklet and about 5 SPA 2102's. Anyone have tricks for me??
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues is with Google blocking SIP. They use that internally for all call routing but due to a "flaw" in their caller ID recognition for users who really do not know how to setup their accounts, they have disabled SIP.

This ruins the entire SIP experience using GV for people who really know how to setup their systems.

Right now - I use a custom web plugin to interface to Gmail to place my calls.

Maybe this device uses a similar concept and thus looks interesting - only the lack of feedback going against it.

Last edited by jongasse on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
If it is possible for this company to set this ATA up, why isn't there a feasible way to set up our own ATA with Google Voice Credentials? I have tried the Sipsorcery route, that is flaky. I had some success with it but, it is very unreliable.. Besides that, the SipSorcery is all online set up that you have to give the credentials to the webmaster in your dial plan... That isnt such a warm and fuzzy feeling.. I like warm and fuzzy. Of course, one could use another GV accout to set it up. but, that isnt the route I would want to go either.. So.. Com on folks.. What is the route needed to get this done easier and put it on my own ATA, which I think I have around 10 Inno Media s from SunRocklet and about 5 SPA 2102's. Anyone have tricks for me??

Quote:
That isnt such a warm and fuzzy feeling..

I like warm and bald better Exclamation
Ooma Telo ( Premium Service )
VoIP MY Way ( Custom Acct + INTL )
Linksys PAP2T ATA ( UnLocked )
Linksys WRT-310N Router ( Personal Firmware )
Motorola Modem DOCSIS 3.0 SBG6580
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: