magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally, Google Voice on an ATA is Here !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telltom.... I'm curious what kinds of issues you're having. I've been using Google Voice for over a year and don't seem to have any problems, with these exceptions:

i can deal with the recording conversation problem, but quite a few times i couldn't get thru to some numbers. Friends have told me they were unable to reach me at times. The phone would just ring a few times and go dead. I'm now using the Nettalk Duo and i'm very satisfied with it.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
quite a few times i couldn't get thru to some numbers. Friends have told me they were unable to reach me at times. The phone would just ring a few times and go dead.

Interesting... and it raises another issue with Google Voice - no support. Of course, it's hard to complain when it's free, but when you're having issues, it's still frustrating.

Glad the NetTalk is working for you. I do have say, however, GV does so much that I've gotten spoiled. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if they quit supporting it or don't continue to develop it.

I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for it, if that's what it took, much like I pay an annual subscription to Yahoo Mail Plus.
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telltom wrote:

i can deal with the recording conversation problem, but quite a few times i couldn't get thru to some numbers. Friends have told me they were unable to reach me at times. The phone would just ring a few times and go dead. I'm now using the Nettalk Duo and i'm very satisfied with it.

This can be an issue with the numbers you are forwarding GV to. I have more issues with my MJ using GV than other phone services. For example, often voicemail will be picked up by my MJ rather than GV when there is no answer. I have not had this problem with my VoIPMyWay phone number or my sipgate #, only when MJ is set to be one of the phones that rings. I'm not saying that was your problem for sure, but it is something to consider since GV is mainly just a forwarding service.

Darkman90808 wrote:

I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for it, if that's what it took, much like I pay an annual subscription to Yahoo Mail Plus.

BTW, did you know you can use POP and IMAP access for you Yahoo Mail without paying for it? Just set your default region in account settings to "Asia" and you will be able to access you Yahoo Mail with a standard email client for free. I've been using it that way for about a year, and there seems to be no other issue with setting your location to Asia, didn't have to change anything else. Yahoo only charges for POP and IMAP access in the USA I think, for other regions that ability is provided for free.

Dave
neo2121

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kif Kroker wrote:

BTW, did you know you can use POP and IMAP access for you Yahoo Mail without paying for it? Just set your default region in account settings to "Asia" and you will be able to access you Yahoo Mail with a standard email client for free. I've been using it that way for about a year, and there seems to be no other issue with setting your location to Asia, didn't have to change anything else. Yahoo only charges for POP and IMAP access in the USA I think, for other regions that ability is provided for free.

Dave

all the more reason to use Gmail.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, did you know you can use POP and IMAP access for you Yahoo Mail without paying for it? Just set your default region in account settings to "Asia" and you will be able to access you Yahoo Mail with a standard email client for free.

Dammitall! And I just re-upped with them for another year! How in the world did you figure that one out?
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been receiving my yahoo mail into my gmail acct for over a year.. I dint know there was a need to know out there..Hey Darkman, there you go.. dont re up next year Very Happy
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
Quote:
BTW, did you know you can use POP and IMAP access for you Yahoo Mail without paying for it? Just set your default region in account settings to "Asia" and you will be able to access you Yahoo Mail with a standard email client for free.

Dammitall! And I just re-upped with them for another year! How in the world did you figure that one out?

Found it on the net somewhere. Wink It's kind of a scam that they don't give it to the North America customers for free, as they do other places. I'm not sure they acknowledge they have IMAP servers running yet either, just found that out a couple weeks ago and switch my Thunderbird to get my Yahoo mail through IMAP now, can see and edit all folders just like in the web mail client. I don't use my Yahoo email for much more than Fantasy Football, but it is nice that I can now get it through IMAP for free.

Dave
synchron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
If it is possible for this company to set this ATA up, why isn't there a feasible way to set up our own ATA with Google Voice Credentials? I have tried the Sipsorcery route, that is flaky. I had some success with it but, it is very unreliable.. Besides that, the SipSorcery is all online set up that you have to give the credentials to the webmaster in your dial plan... That isnt such a warm and fuzzy feeling.. I like warm and fuzzy. Of course, one could use another GV accout to set it up. but, that isnt the route I would want to go either.. So.. Com on folks.. What is the route needed to get this done easier and put it on my own ATA, which I think I have around 10 Inno Media s from SunRocklet and about 5 SPA 2102's. Anyone have tricks for me??

I think the key to getting this to all work is XMPP and Aaron who runs Sipsorcery has had positive results to get calls working with GV and XMPP back last Nov.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kicks in over at the sipsorcery site sometime soon making this possible with any ATA/mobile device via sisporcery client and without the need for a 3rd party provider that provides the free incoming callback approach.

Synchron Cool
jongasse
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synchron wrote:
I think the key to getting this to all work is XMPP and Aaron who runs Sipsorcery has had positive results to get calls working with GV and XMPP back last Nov.

I would love Aaron to correct me but the phone calling from GMail does not use XMPP, and that GMail feature is what this ATA seems to use.

Either in the device insitu or on their servers - they are loading GMail and hooking onto that call phone widget, but I would love to stand corrected.
VoIProundthePlanet
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: There is no 3rd party server involved ... Reply with quote

"Google Voice protocol is natively implemented on the OBi110. In other words, the device communicates directly with Google Voice. It does not go through 3rd party server." (quote from another forum)

"Looking at a WireShark trace, the OBI110 communicates directly with a GV proxy. WireShark says the call signalling is done with the "Jabber/XM" protocol. Before the voice stream starts up the OBi uses a Google STUN server to checkout the external ip address and ports." (quote from another forum)
jongasse
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: There is no 3rd party server involved ... Reply with quote

VoIProundthePlanet wrote:
"Google Voice protocol is natively implemented on the OBi110. In other words, the device communicates directly with Google Voice. It does not go through 3rd party server." (quote from another forum)

"Looking at a WireShark trace, the OBI110 communicates directly with a GV proxy. WireShark says the call signalling is done with the "Jabber/XM" protocol. Before the voice stream starts up the OBi uses a Google STUN server to checkout the external ip address and ports." (quote from another forum)

Interesting. Could you post links to those forums directly here?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downloadable "GVJack" App is now available from http://www.pcphonesoft.com that lets you reuse an old magicJack as a fully featured phone adapter for Google Voice at a fraction of the price.
audioresearch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: What Is the Best Way to Get Lowest Cost Service? Reply with quote

What is the lowest cost (free if, of course, the best choice) way for me to get voip phone service?

I would like to to use my router with broadband, but not have to keep a pc or laptop on all the time.

I would like to use my existing 3 landline telephone sets and just plug the male jack from my house landline telephone wiring into an ATA box such as the Magic Jack Plus or an OBI 110.

I will not have any other type of phone service: no landline service and no cellphones.

It is essential that I be able to implement a white list so that only calls originating from phone numbers on that list can ring my phone and calls originating from any other numbers will go to voicemail.

I have been using Google Voice along with a Verizon Digital Voice line, but I would like to dump Verizon.

I already own an OBI 110 and had been hoping to start using it with Google Voice after I dumped Verizon, but I just found out the OBI box will no longer work with Google Voice starting next May.

I did find software that runs in a pc that appears to do away with having to pay Magic Jack any subscription fees, but I can't use that since it requires leaving a pc on all the time which I do not want to do.

What do you suggest I do? Should I use my OBI 110 along with some low cost direct inward dial (DID) provider to let my existing OBI box still work with Google Voice (I read that it seems that might work-correct me please if it will not) or should I instead dump the OBI box and use Magic Jack, is there some way to eliminate Magic Jack fees if so, or should I do something entirely different?

Thanks very much for any help.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check the postings in this section I posted a list of reputable SIP VOIP providers. Check them out. You can use them with your Obi.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: What Is the Best Way to Get Lowest Cost Service? Reply with quote

audioresearch wrote:
I already own an OBI 110 and had been hoping to start using it with Google Voice after I dumped Verizon, but I just found out the OBI box will no longer work with Google Voice starting next May... What do you suggest I do? Should I use my OBI 110 along with some low cost direct inward dial (DID) provider to let my existing OBI box still work with Google Voice (I read that it seems that might work-correct me please if it will not) or should I instead dump the OBI box and use Magic Jack, is there some way to eliminate Magic Jack fees if so, or should I do something entirely different?

- Yes, apparently come 5/15/2014 Obi devices will no longer work with Google Voice, at least not directly:

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html

And yes there are some other VOIP providers whose services will work with Obi's, but they generally charge much more than magicJack does.

It looks to me like Obihai is going to try to develop some sort of "work-around" strategy regarding GV, but who knows...
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Yes, apparently come 5/15/2014 Obi devices will no longer work with Google Voice, at least not directly:

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html

And yes there are some other VOIP providers whose services will work with Obi's, but they generally charge much more than magicJack does.

It looks to me like Obihai is going to try to develop some sort of "work-around" strategy regarding GV, but who knows..

Considered the true costs of Magic jack there are many providers which do not cost more or significantly more than MJ and provide incomparably superior service.
Good example : Localphone, US DID for 99c/month, outgoing lower 48 0.5c/min, subscription plans e.g. 5000 min outgoing for $5.-month straight, plus a multitude of other valuable services.
It is highly unlikely that Obihai will develop any work around for Google voice/ or the new Hangouts, probably for legal reasons, they told me very clearly that they are pulling out of Google altogether. Off course, things may change...
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Considered the true costs of Magic jack there are many providers which do not cost more or significantly more than MJ and provide incomparably superior service.
Good example : Localphone, US DID for 99c/month, outgoing lower 48 0.5c/min, subscription plans e.g. 5000 min outgoing for $5.-month straight, plus a multitude of other valuable services

- It seems that you and I do math in very different ways. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever lol
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obihai is working on a $40 per year plan to use with the various Obi devices. See:

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/12/what-does-40-bucks-and-obi-device-buy.html
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith wrote:
Obihai is working on a $40 per year plan to use with the various Obi devices. See:

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/12/what-does-40-bucks-and-obi-device-buy.html

- Too bad it doesn't/will not include unlimited minutes!
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully there'll be enough minutes so that the average user can employ this new service.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully there'll be enough minutes so that the average user can employ this new service.

Average user uses less and less minutes, because more and more people have cell phones with unlimited plans.
Often , rock bottom providers who advertise free minutes will not accept usage in excess of 3000 minutes, aside of the fact that they do not connect for free to a large number of area codes/exchanges.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there are Anveo and PhonePower as partners to Obihai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: