magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

false advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thealien
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: false advertising Reply with quote

ruth wrote:
I just purchased magicjack 5 year package, insurance... the lot ... only to find that there are no numbers available in Canada, so I'm completely screwed. Without a Canadian number I cannot register my location with 911. I have made frequent appeals to the company to let me know HOW, WHEN a Canadian number can be obtained. The answer is "no", "don't know", "keep checking our website!" (like I don't actually have a day job, and have all the time in the world). So far this debacle has cost me 2-3 hours in lost work! Maybe I'm just the spec of dust that fell through the cracks -- but honestly, I wonder whether other people have come across this problem? Is there a way of putting pressure on this company to take responsibility for their behaviour?

Maybe some parts of Canada might not be covered yet. But I live in Quebec in the Montreal region, and we have been getting local numbers available since about a month ago. And new ones are added almost every week now.

The only thing I could suggest, is checking back often for new numbers becoming available for your particular area. I know it's not pleasing, but I also see that they are working hard to extend their network in Canada. The $10 per year per Canadian number is precisely to help add equipment and numbers here.

If you didn't cancel your regular land line phone yet, just be patient and check back often ?
thealien
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, MJ only makes sense in Canada if you have lot of incoming/outgoing calls from/to the US. There are better options for Canada residents.

Such as what exactly ?
Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numbers in Calgary. They are in the 587 area code (new area code for Calgary) and not the 403 area code everyone knows and loves.

There are no numbers in the 306 area code (Saskatchewan) and never have been.

In Canada it's a bit hit or miss. Just keep that 30 day refund option in mind. And yes this is a problem for NetTalk too. They are even worse because they won't even give you an outdated list of area codes that they used to have numbers for. Sure NetTalk will TALK to you on the phone but they won't actually be able to DO anything for you. I bought one and had to return it because the closest area code I could get was Toronto. Yeesh.

Once all the numbers in an area code are gone you are SOL until MJ is assigned a new block of numbers or a new area code opens up.

Good luck!

--DB
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this issue I think both companies stink to high heaven. How in this "day and age" can neither of them keep an updated listing available to customers at the click of a button?

If their respective customer supports can tell you if a particular area code/exchange is available, how is that not translatable to something that they could update hourly or at least daily and make available on their web-sites?

Unbelievable and indefensible for both of them, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: