magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excessive use??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Excessive use?? Reply with quote

I just got off with Chat line..
I Was told Excessive use.. not true...

Quote:
Thank you for the time you have given me. I am done with the report on your issue and have already forwarded this to the right department. They are currently working as we speak. We will work with this problem our end. Once again, my apologies for this issue but rest assured that you will get fine results on this matter. They will be back with an updates with this issue via email. If any chances, you won't receive any updates then please notify us immediately. To be convenient for you, please do ask for my name or any available supervisors so that you will be forwarded to us immediately for that matter. Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience. I appreciate it.

I understand your concern, William and my sincere apologies regarding this matter however, as of the moment all you need to do is to wait for the�email notification that will be send to you.

It�s been 2 months now when I first reported this problem and no answer..

My MagicJack same problem I�m still waiting, it�s been 9 months no answer..
Ruejo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Excessive Use Reply with quote

You won't receive any.. so don't expect..Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
udsting
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how many different phone numbers do you call everyday and how long do you spend with each call?
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Take Note

Terms Of Service No. 3
Internet Communications Feature.

b) Outgoing Calls

Quote:
"Calls of long duration may be terminated to make sure the integrity of the network is kept intact, which would prevent abandoned calls."

Rolling Eyes
udsting
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like what my signature says, I could not ask for more with a telephone service Free calls US and Canada $29.95 a year.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udsting wrote:
Like what my signature says, I could not ask for more with a telephone service Free calls US and Canada $29.95 a year.

Sure you could.

Without sounding like I'm continually plugging the product, the GVJack App will give you the exact same thing for a one-time payment of $19.95, and it seems like it is on sale about every other week for 10...20...30% off of that price.
udsting
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really?? do they allow you to call 50 different phone numbers in a day and let you talk for how many hours without the call dropping off?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udsting wrote:
really?? do they allow you to call 50 different phone numbers in a day and let you talk for how many hours without the call dropping off?

Yea, as far as I know it does. It uses the GoogleVoice network. I have not heard of anyone being cut off for excessive use, but I assume that is always possible. The only limits I have heard are that it might cut you off after a set time to avoid calls that are left off the hook, which I thought I read was 2 hours. I have also read that they block an occasional traffic-pumping number, but nowhere near the numbers that MJ blocks.

You can make all the outgoing calls with GV you want with the MJ dongle and pay nothing. There are threads in here on how to set that up via GoogleTalk. The App allows you to also receive incoming calls with the MJ dongle.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, Google Voice, as unreliable as it might be, is still more reliable than Magic Jack and the call quality is way above MJ. BTW why is everybody talking about 29.95/ year when it is MORE because MJ charges 4.8% nonexistent " regulatory fee' on the top of it.
There is no reason I could think of to continue to use MJ, at least not in the U.S.
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
4.8% nonexistent " regulatory fee' on the top of it.

Yeah , i remember the top %10 quikmark reps

are they non existent as well?
Laughing

Last edited by radzkillah on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulatory fees are NOT "non-existent." Most all telcos charge at least something in this regard, and MJ's is the lowest I've ever seen. As far as Google Voice goes, it's free only until the end of this year; beyond that Google may either start charging or drop the service altogether. BTW - I've thoroughly checked out (on the 'net) people's experiences with GV and the Obihai phone device, and consumers' reported problems and complaints seem to be mounting (may be more due to Obihai issues rather than GV per se).
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
As far as Google Voice goes, it's free only until the end of this year; beyond that Google may either start charging or drop the service altogether.

Not to argue the point, but that, based on history anyway, is pure conjecture.

Every year, for the last couple that I have been playing with MagicJack and GoogleVoice anyway, there has been continual hand-wringing that Google was going to start charging for GV at the end of the year. And near the end of at least the last 2 years they have extended it for another year.

When you type in "cost of google voice" in Google, they take you to this page:

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115063

In prior years, that page would say "free until the end of 20XX". They now make no mention of an ending year for it being free.

They obviously could drop it or start charging for it tomorrow. Especially since Google has the habit of not announcing changes to their programs. But with the fairly recent hook-up with Sprint and GV, I honestly don't see that happening.

I would welcome evidence to the contrary since I intend to continue with the GV App and let my MJ subscription expire at renewal time.

As far as call quality goes, it is equal to or better than what I had with MJ for over 2 years and I was happy with MJ.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regulatory fees are NOT "non-existent." Most all telcos charge at least something in this regard, and MJ's is the lowest I've ever seen. As far as Google Voice goes, it's free only until the end of this year; beyond that Google may either start charging or drop the service altogether. BTW - I've thoroughly checked out (on the 'net) people's experiences with GV and the Obihai phone device, and consumers' reported problems and complaints seem to be mounting (may be more due to Obihai issues rather than GV per se).

The issue of MJ "regulatory fees" has been discussed on this forum. There are no regulatory fees or taxes which would ad up to exactly 4.8%. Further, everybody who charges taxes and/or regulatory fees is able to exactly describe them, something what has not happened with MJ. Until proven otherwise, the very justified presumption will remain that those 4.8% is nothing more than a price hike,l one of the numerous tricks from Dan's trick box.

About " mounting consumer problems with GV and Obihai" . I do not know where your information comes from, certainly not from Obihai forum which i visit nearly daily. Obihai has a stellar rating and although there are things they could and should improve, that device rocks.
Google voice has a few issues- I reported a few of them myself- but they are still far superior to MJ both in features and especially in call quality. As a matter of fact, one of my relatives just installed an Obi with GV as SP1 in a remote rural area of a foreign country with a miserable broadband because MJ completely failed there while the GV call quality is moderate, but acceptable.
I used to be MJ customer for 3 1/2 years and I ran Obi and MJ next to each other for 5 months to compare.
Nailgunner answered your concern about GV not staying free.
BTW I do not use just Google voice, although I do have two accounts. I use Localphone and Callcentric as well on my Obi 202.
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: re: OP "Willie" and the eternal "Excessive Us Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I ran across the stories of MJ users being cut off suddenly for "excessive use", but without being able to get a clear explanation of the actual limits from MagicJack chat techs. So I gave the puzzle a try. At that time, MJ would cut off any single outbound call at about the 2 hour point.

I posed this scenario to one of those MJ chat techs: If I made 8 hours of outgoing calls per day using my MagicJack for 5 days per week on a regular basis, would that be considered "excessive use?" The tech said YES.

(The "excessive use" issue apparently does NOT apply to incoming calls.)

Then I asked that same MJ tech if in my same example if I cut back my outgoing calls to only 4 hours per day; would that be acceptable without violating the "excessive use" rule? He said that would be OK.

Then I asked him if I really needed to make 8 hours of outbound calls, could I do that by splitting the time and making 4 hours of outbound calls in the morning with MJ account #1, and making another 4 hours of outbound calls in the afternoon with MJ account #2? And would THAT be acceptable? The tech said yes.

The iffy parts of that are whether the MJ chat tech's remarks are any kind of commitment from the MJ company, and how much more outbound time (above 4 hours/day, but below 8 hours/day) the "real" barrier might be.

Then an "all you can eat, unlimited calling" plan became available on my landline, so the need to test the limits of the MJ "excessive use" rule went away.

But, what I described above IS an accurate description of what the MJ chat tech said to me at the time. It's certainly not a perfect or complete answer to this ongoing question to a continually evasive company, but it's the best answer I could get at the time.

Hope this helps.

--tradertx
black_icon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can check out the MJ ToS and refer to Section 6. Proper Use; http://magicjack.com/plus-v05/tos.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_icon, thanks for mentioning that. It's been a couple of years since I waded through the older MJ version of that TOS, and clearly, they have added a fresh set of gotchas in Section #6 to work with, work around, or do without.

Yours,
tradertx
black_icon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem and I could agree with you actually... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: