magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EWF error following flash - yellow lock icon with red X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: EWF error following flash - yellow lock icon with red X Reply with quote

I've purchased a quantity of HP T5700 thin clients as I have a number of Magic Jacks that I need to set up. Using the most excellent "Dummies guide: Configure an HP T5700 for MJ using XPe s/SP2" thread I've managed to get the Magic Jack to run properly on a T5700 with 256/256. Here's the catch...when I started on my first thin client, I made a bootable USB DOK device, downloaded the XPe SP2 direct from HP i.e. sp29705.exe and flashed the thin client wanting to be certain that I started with a fresh installation of XPe. While the TC boots fine, and seems to function fine, the EWF lock icon is yellow and it has a red X through it. If I click on the icon it says "Error getting EWF status". Trying to run the EWF Configuration in Control panel returns an exception error.

I've scoured the Internet and this site for a solution and it would appear that it relates to needing to run etprep.exe and/or make registry corrections but I've had no luck and need a "Dummies guide" to resolving this as I can't seem to even locate the etprep.exe file on the downloaded XPe image.

FWIW if I ignore the EWF icon and proceed to tweak the configuration for MJ installation, it works fine.

The source where I purchased the Thin Clients assured me that they had been reconditioned i.e. freshly flashed version of XPe SP/2 installed, so on a second T5700 I skipped the flash step and EWF and the MJ work perfectly.

So the question remains, how do I perform a flash on the first Thin Client that I messed up to eliminate the EWF error, or is there a way to simply fix the EWF error?

Thanks!
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have one TC configured and running as you like (MJ installed and any other prgrams), then use ThinState imaging tool in Control Panel and copy that working image to the other TC's. Worked for me like a charm.
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
Once you have one TC configured and running as you like (MJ installed and any other prgrams), then use ThinState imaging tool in Control Panel and copy that working image to the other TC's. Worked for me like a charm.

I can't find that application in Control panel. I wonder if I removed it in the process of making room for the MJ installation?

Does this look like it might be the software that I need?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&prodNameId=379363&swEnvOID=1058&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I18193-101326
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions in .PDF form with embedded links to the files and copies of the batch files mentioned below can be downloaded from the following link:
Working with an HP Thin Client

Take a look at the steps in the section Creating Your Own Flash Image.

The steps are also shown in the 10th post of the Sticky "HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack" above!
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Take a look at the steps in the section [b]Creating Your Own Flash Image. ...The steps are also shown in the 10th post of the Sticky "HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack" above!

Thanks for those links...I'll definitely review them, but doesn't the problem that I'm experiencing with EWF stem from the flash process?
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tower wrote:
Thanks for those links...I'll definitely review them, but doesn't the problem that I'm experiencing with EWF stem from the flash process?

Ahhh...I see the batch files included in the link execute a prep for flash which I suspect addresses the EWF issue.

I'll give it a whirl! Thanks!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tower wrote:
tower wrote:

Ahhh...I see the batch files included in the link execute a prep for flash which I suspect addresses the EWF issue.

I'll give it a whirl! Thanks!

Your welcome that procedure worked for me. Let us know how you make out.
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Your welcome that procedure worked for me. Let us know how you make out.

Well, that didn't work out so well...as far as I can tell I followed the instructions exactly and now the source machine that I captured the image from also has the EWF error! It won't be long and I'll run out of thin clients to screw up!

Any suggestions?
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to square one by d/ling the HP image. Prior to reflashing, I manually entered the prep4flash.bat commands and it seems that the REG delete command was not working from the command line.

To work around that I ran regedit, deleted the parameter manually, reflashed and I'm back at EWF working properly on a fresh image. I'll make my MJ tweaks and then follow the capture process but do the prepforflash commands (including regedit) manually and I bet it works.

I'll post my results.
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving up! I've wasted far more time trying to create and copy an image than if I'd simply tweaked each thin client. I have no problem doing a fresh flash with the HP setup but as soon as I try and restore a created image I have EWF errors that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll simply configure from scratch the quantity that I require.

Thanks all for your help!
tower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGHHHH! I have one thin client that refuses to reflash properly. Does anyone have a copy of the eprep.exe utility or know where I can download it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: