magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtyye
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: I needed to clarify my questions about the dongle and a Mac Reply with quote

What I meant was...can a MacBook Pro be configured in a similar way to a Windows OS so that you don't need the dongle?

WJ
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdad427 wrote:
Buttafuoco wrote:
Since our divorce, my ex-wife has had to use a dongle.

ROFL
That is funny.
The question is -- powered or unpowered?

The question is - strapless?
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of definitions . . .

don⋅gle
  /ˈdɒŋgəl, ˈdɔŋ‑/ [dong-guhl, dawng‑]
�noun
a hardware device attached to a computer without which a particular software program will not run: used to prevent unauthorized use.

The question is, what unauthorized use does it prevent??
superdad427
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grw wrote:
While we are on the subject of definitions . . .

don⋅gle
�noun
a hardware device attached to a computer without which a particular software program will not run: used to prevent unauthorized use.

OK all kidding aside, as posted elsewhere, you do NOT need the magicjack USB device to use this software under windows to talk to the magicjack server to make and receive phone calls with the number assigned to you under your magicjack account. In fact SJPHONE is the sofwtare used and that s/w is readily available for free download. Don't ask me how to do this, read the forums.
I have not seen a post with instructions for MAC OS X though.
And regarding the term DONGLE, that goes way back to when people protected their software with Serial/parallel (and then USB) dongles to prevent anyone from using the software who did not have one. So we started a little joke here. Anyway Dongle is not really the right term for a magicjack, I'd call is combination of a partitioned USB thumb drive + RJ11 interface.
-S
ktg
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to do an upgrade?

Anyone help me on how to do the upgrade on the dongleless computer> I just switch on the computer and it just started to do the upgrade and then at the end, it says that something like the magicjack is not plugged in and please plug it in. I decided to switch off the computer afterthat. Please advice how I should do the upgrade for this computer and also on the dongle as well. Thanks for your help.
mufon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be described as a "composite usb device".
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grw wrote:
don⋅gle
�noun

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongle#Other_hardware. It says:

Quote:
The term "dongle" has been generalized, so it may also refer to a connector that translates one type of port to another ...

But, I especially like this part:

Quote:
Dongle was used by the late Peter Sellers in an episode of the BBC Goon Show radio series, The Vanishing Room from December 1957. The whole sentence is "Flip my dongle and lower my grobblers" as an expression of surprise. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongle#History

I bet I could pick up chicks with that line.

Mark
norml jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded of my many and frequent trips to Tijuana, Mexico. I have seen many a dongle show there.
superdad427
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktg wrote:
How to do an upgrade?

Anyone help me on how to do the upgrade on the dongleless computer> I just switch on the computer and it just started to do the upgrade and then at the end, it says that something like the magicjack is not plugged in and please plug it in. I decided to switch off the computer afterthat. Please advice how I should do the upgrade for this computer and also on the dongle as well. Thanks for your help.

plug the magicjack in and upgrade then recopy the s/w.
-s
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to use the modified instructions at

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/MJ_Without_Dongle

which tell you to use the existing mjusbsp directory. This is better because when you have to plug in the dongle to do an update, you don't have to copy the mjusbsp directory afterwards, only the magicJack one. And the latter directory is a lot easier to find several months later.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Stopping magicJack with a shortcut Reply with quote

Here is a suggested addition to the no dongle instructions:

Rather than going to Task Manager in XPSP3 I created a shortcut on my desktop that does the job.

In the shortcut target area use the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tskill.exe magicjack

and select Minimized in the Run area
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stopping magicJack with a shortcut Reply with quote

grw wrote:
Here is a suggested addition to the no dongle instructions:

Thanks. When I get a chance, I'll create a "how-to" (on the wiki) for stopping the softpone. Then refer to it from a couple places, including the dongless instructions I copied from here. (Unless someone else wants to do it before I get to it.).

Mark
mhoffing
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: using MJ without dongle problem Reply with quote

johnnyboy wrote:
it seems I forgot to mention one thing:

when setting this up, leave the dongle plugged in, but end both process "magicJack" and "mjsetup" from the processes list in the Task Manager
after copying the folders and setting up the shortcut, still do not unplug the dongle, but run magicJack from the harddrive for the first time with the dongle plugged in, else you will get an error saying the serial number has not been passed. so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password
as soon as you are logged in and the service is active unplug the dongle
you can then run the program without the dongle.

I can not get it to work. I am not that computer literate. I try to follow your instructions, but I just can not get it to work. first, I can not find mjsetup in the processes in the task manager. Then I can not get the shortcut to accept the info in your steps
emiliomcol
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: using MJ without dongle problem Reply with quote

mhoffing wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
it seems I forgot to mention one thing:

when setting this up, leave the dongle plugged in, but end both process "magicJack" and "mjsetup" from the processes list in the Task Manager
after copying the folders and setting up the shortcut, still do not unplug the dongle, but run magicJack from the harddrive for the first time with the dongle plugged in, else you will get an error saying the serial number has not been passed. so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password
as soon as you are logged in and the service is active unplug the dongle
you can then run the program without the dongle.

I can not get it to work. I am not that computer literate. I try to follow your instructions, but I just can not get it to work. first, I can not find mjsetup in the processes in the task manager. Then I can not get the shortcut to accept the info in your steps

Hello, on the task manager the process you should see is magicjack.exe kill the process, then erase the MJ shortcut and create a newone with the Path provided on the instructions at least it works that way for me
synchron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this where you can dial out 1 call only after following the steps in the Wiki?? Subsequent calls will just get a busy signal. Killing mj process and waiting about 5 minutes or so will allow another (just 1) call to be dialed out, then it's busy for additional dial out attempts.

These are my symptoms.... Anyone got a cure?

TIA, Synchron Cool
synchron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further testing, running it dongleless only works with no ATA device attached. I guess 2 simultaneous SIP device authentications is a no-no.

Synchron Cool
mhoffing
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...PROBLEM!! Reply with quote

I have tried and I have failed. I just can not follow everything I guess. I have looked at the other info that you have listed and have tried to follow everything. I just can not get it to work without the jack attached. Thanks for any help you can give me.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...PROBLEM!! Reply with quote

mhoffing wrote:
I have tried and I have failed. I just can not follow everything I guess. I have looked at the other info that you have listed and have tried to follow everything. I just can not get it to work without the jack attached. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I had some trouble following the instructions posted here because they were spread across two posts, and contained instructions to copy the mjusbsp folder (which isn't necessary). I tried to consolidate it into the wiki. Did you try that? See: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/FAQ#Can_I_run_the_softphone_without_the_USB_device.3F

Mark
emiliomcol
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...PROBLEM!! Reply with quote

mhoffing wrote:

try to fallow the instruction exactly as described i mean the same hard drice ( C: ) and copy the folders the one is hiddend in magicjack USB drive and the mjusbsp on the computer for me the only problem i have was when i tried to change the path on MJ shortcut dosnt work but all i have to do was erase the original shortcut and rigth clic new shortcut and entry the path exactly as posted and it works perfect i hope you can do it
greggdluis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Whole House Wiring Reply with quote

[quote="couch-potato"][quote="laserjobs"]
This is a joke question right?[/quote]

No joke.

I want to use MJ with my whole house wiring, and I would like to be able to do it without the USB dongle.

I would prefer if I could connect the phone cord to the modem port, and not have to use a USB port.

I'm not sure why you think it is a joke. Perhaps there is no possible way that it would work, and I don't have the technological knowledge to understand that, in which case, as simple "no" would suffice.

Or, you might think that it is kind of ridiculous that I want to replace the MJ donlge and small box, that runs from the USB port to the phone line - with a different box, that runs from the USB port from the phone line. Well that is what I want to do. The MJ USB dongle sticks out too far, and is too heavy, it has already destroyed one USB port, and the second one is about to blow (there are sparks there every time something is connected or disconnected). It would be nice to find something with a longer cord that could sit on the desktop, the cord could go to the back of the computer, or maybe this could work on a USB hub, where MJ won't?[/quote]

I personally set this up in my Sister's House in Houston Texas. I gave her a Thin Client (HP T5710 1.2GHz 512/512MB pre-configured for magicJack) after she bought a new MJ Dongle. She had an AT&T landline and then signed up for the AT&T U-Verse for the Internet Access & Cable TV services package. (She was tired of RoadRunner Service & Time Warner TV.) The Landline is a separate service and the U-Verse people claim they have nothing to do with telephone services or telephone landlines. My Sister thought it would be great to eliminate the separate phone bill.

Here's what I did:
1) The Telco Box on the outside of her house has a Security Tipped Torx Screw keeping its door shut. Got it open and unplugged the phone line leading into her house. Tightened the Torx Screw to shut the door. Now, there is no telephone line power (approx 32 volts) applied to her inside telephone (house) wiring.
2) Knowing that the inside phone wiring is all parallel circuits AND has no DC current detected (used a VOM to make sure). The magicJack Dongle can be directly connected to the phone jack in the wall.
3) Fired up her Thin Client right next to her U-Verse (2-Wire Modem) hardware and plugged in a USB (printer cable) "B" plug into the back of her modem with the USB "A" plug in the back of the Thin Client. The T5710 took a minute to load the modem drivers and did a "commit" to save it. The data transmit speeds for the USB 2.0 shoud be near 480mps instead of the 10/100 ethernet speed caps.
4) Plugged a phone into the MJ first to make sure the MJ Servers were connected and could get a dialtone, made a call to my cellphone to verify service was good.
5) Unplugged the phone from the MJ Dongle and direct connect the Dongle to the phone jack in the wall (near where the modem & Thin Client are located). Went to the kitchen to pick up the phone and had a dialtone. Used my cellphone to call the MJ phone number and all of the phones in my Sister's House rang.

She picked up and we had crystal clear connection. We called my Mother in Los Angeles (CA) and our Mother thought we were next door. It was that clear.

My Sister bought a UPS for her modem and Thin Client to keep it powered during the storms when power outages are common. Even though the power goes out, she still has phone service for the house when her cell phone goes dead from a drained battery. That last Hurricane left her without power for two weeks; the UPS quit on the 8th day!

Perhaps, this is the direction you may want to look into.
mhoffing
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...PROBLEM!! Reply with quote

emiliomcol wrote:
mhoffing wrote:

try to fallow the instruction exactly as described i mean the same hard drice ( C: ) and copy the folders the one is hiddend in magicjack USB drive and the mjusbsp on the computer for me the only problem i have was when i tried to change the path on MJ shortcut dosnt work but all i have to do was erase the original shortcut and rigth clic new shortcut and entry the path exactly as posted and it works perfect i hope you can do it

Got it working. Great. I followed someone else's link to Wikpedia and the instruction were clearer so I was able to follow each step. Thanks
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's easier you can copy the following to a .bat file, this is for XP
Quote:
rem delete running services
taskkill /im magicjack.exe /t /f
taskkill /im mjsetup.exe /t
taskkill /im magicjackloader.exe /t
taskkill /im magicjacksplash.exe /t

rem copy data from dongle and updated path
rem link to shortcut.exe: http://www.optimumx.com/download/Shortcut.zip
xcopy F:\magicJack\* C:\magicJack /y /q /e /r /i /h
xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp\*" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp" /y /q /e /r /i /h
C:/shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\MagicJack.lnk" /A:E /T:"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /P:"/foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"" /W:"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp"
rem if there is no shortcut on the desktop use the following instead;
rem C:/shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\MagicJack.lnk" /A:C /T:"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /P:"/foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"" /W:"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp"

rem delete installed programs and restart
del "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cdloader.lnk"
rd "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\mjusbsp\" /s /q
reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v cdloader /f

assumptions are;
- current drive for MJ is F:\
- prefered location of mjusbsp dircetory will be your C:\documets and settings\all users\application data\
- The shortcut.exe is placed in C:\
you should be able to tweak by your own means, otherwise follow initial istructions of this thread.

Last edited by arcadia2uk on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcadia2uk wrote:
If it's easier you can copy the following to a .bat file, this is for XP

That didn't work for me. For example, my USB drive isn't on F:.

Mark
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using XPSP3 home edition. There is no "taskkill" command. Instead, it is the more limited, "tskill".
pcguy760
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cannot receive calls Reply with quote

Ok I have done this method and it worked out to make outgoing calls except I just tried to make a call to the Magicjack on my laptop (via my cellphone) and it goes straight to the voicemail! Any idea why?

UPDATE : Nevermind, it works now - all I did was restart the program. Wierd...
lida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for me had to add my string info to the string info listed,then worked
fine. Dongle we don't need no stinking dongle
crossfire6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Vista 32bit and was simply unable to find any folder in the magicJack program called "mjusbsp"

Since this folder exists for everyone else, what in the hell was I doing wrong?

Every other step of the instructions was easy enough to follow.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossfire6 wrote:
I run Vista 32bit and was simply unable to find any folder in the magicJack program called "mjusbsp"

Try "dir mjusbsp /s" from the root directory of every drive you have.

Mark
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossfire6 wrote:

show hidden folders
Vista puts it in "Users\....\AppData\Roaming
ng12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That batch file is fantastic!! you should include the comments in your thread about default drive into the comments of the batch. and i think the code should be posted in the OP

thanks!

the only thing that i notice is that I can't choose my location anymore

and the program won't shut down (i have to kill it manually)

EDIT: nevermind -- am using a different method now http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-as-a-service-a-better-way-t1364-135.html

Last edited by ng12345 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng12345 wrote:
the program won't shut down (i have to kill it manually)

You can create a shortcut to terminate the softphone. See http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/Exit_Softphone

Mark
ng12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

but does yours always say Upgrading please wait where the location information would be?
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng12345 wrote:
thanks

but does yours always say Upgrading please wait where the location information would be?
Yup! Mine does. I just ignore it.

Odd, isn't it?
ng12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grw wrote:
ng12345 wrote:
thanks

Yup! Mine does. I just ignore it.

Odd, isn't it?

Yah -- a little annoying -- was hoping for a 100% solution.

anyways, figured I'd contribute something. Here is a little batch file that will turn on and off magicjack (so no need for two shortcuts)

Code:

@ECHO OFF
taskkill /f /IM magicjack.exe
if %errorlevel%==128 (
"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack")

Obviously it would be need to modified for your installation directory[/code]
astroboy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: unlock mj Reply with quote

how can I call other country using my mj
ktg
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Upgrading nightmare. Pls help. Reply with quote

I have not been successful when there is an upgrade. the mj dongle is normally plugged into to a desktop (XP). I already have my laptop (Vista) running dongle free. however, once every couple of weeks, there is an upgrade to the software. so i reboot the desktop, let it upgrade it software, then I shut down and bring the dongle to my laptop. On my laptop, i have not run mj yet and i plug in the dongle (already upgraded from desktop), then i proceed to copy the magicjack folder (from dongle) back to C drive again, then double click the shortcut on but nothing happens.

Can someone please post a step by step procedure for doing an upgrade to a pc/laptop that was previously already dongle free? Thanks.
rowlezatron
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: need some help Reply with quote

Hi I am pretty new at this and I can not get this to work for me. When I have my MJ pluged in I get MJ x and a Phone drive. I copy the MJ to my C: drive and create a shortcut. I link the shortcut to my new file and to the C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\mjusbsp. I am not sure if I am doing this right but if someone could please dumb down the instrustions for me that would be great.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: need some help Reply with quote

rowlezatron wrote:
Hi I am pretty new at this and I can not get this to work for me. When I have my MJ pluged in I get MJ x and a Phone drive. I copy the MJ to my C: drive and create a shortcut. I link the shortcut to my new file and to the C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\mjusbsp. I am not sure if I am doing this right but if someone could please dumb down the instrustions for me that would be great.

Try following the how-to on the wiki. I recreated the instructions in this thread there. I think it's easier to follow because it doesn't have you moving your mjusbsp folder. And, it's all in one place, not two postings. (If you didn't notice, there's a second posting saying there were a few steps left out. I think a lot of people start with the first posting and don't scroll down to see the "oh, and this too" post.).

Mark
geo4it
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whomever thinks Americans are not smart, well it just aint so.

Johnnie, how did you get so smart. ???
tinko
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

i plug in the MagicJack
copy those folder and paste c:/magicjack
and mjusbsp in c:/
after that i am lost

please help me Thanks

i am trying it for 2 hours no luck

i am stuck on step 4
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far do you get in the wiki instructions before you get stuck? Which step is giving you trouble?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

tinko wrote:
i am stuck on step 4

Try the wiki how-to. It doesn't contain any steps about copying your mjusbsp folder. It should be simpler. It also gives the steps as one continuous operation. The original in this thread was spread across two posts. (I know that caused a lot of confusion for me.).

Mark
Luxus007
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... I actuallly got it to work... I think MagicJack suck for not putting a 100% accurate SIMPLIFIED necessary steps to do this...

I CONGRATULATE whoever discovered this... and the person who first posted this here...

One MAJOR benefit is that you no longer have to use up a USB port... and you do not have to deal with your phone NOT rininging because as MagicJack LOUSY tech support say, our USB ports do not have enough power...

SO, we need to SIMPLIFY this...

When you plug MagicJack, there are TWO magicJack directories on TWO drives... In my case, I have:

I:\magicJack which contains
Profiles <DIR>
autorun.ico
Calllogs.clm
Cfgcache.dat
Profiles.db

Also Drive I:\ (outside the folder magicJack) contains
autorun.inf
DONT USE THIS DRIVE

and

H:\magicJack whick contains
autorun.exe
autorun.ico
autorun.inf

So...

1. WHICH of the two magickJack directories must be copied?

2. I am guessing that with C:\mjusbsp on your C: drive, ALL that you need to copy and paste in C:\magicJack\" are two of the following 3 files:

Calllogs.clm
Cfgcache.dat
Profiles.db

which contain your phone number and e-mail address...I am not sure which two..

I hope that someone can give us clear "non-confusing" answer to the above...

thanks...
tinko
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess with all the instruction if you can make a video of it
it would be much easier to follow all the instruction and surely it would be a great great help ?
Please i would like to request you or anyone followed it successfully
record a video for us people who can't get it to work
thanks
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luxus007 wrote:
I think MagicJack suck for not putting a 100% accurate SIMPLIFIED necessary steps to do this...
magicJack has no interest in reducing their income or increasing their support cost by assisting you in violating their ToS. You have purchased a license to use their service only together with the hardware dongle they have provided. If you choose to do anything else, you are on your own.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
magicJack has no interest in reducing their income or increasing their support cost by assisting you in violating their ToS.

I'm pretty supportive of MJ's property interest in how the service is used (their Terms of Service). But, I can't think of any specific Term which dongleless violates.

I guess in a broad sense it violates the prohibition against reverse engineering. But, it doesn't it doesn't evade receiving softphone ads. Ultimately, magicjack.exe runs just like it does with the dongle. It's just that magicjackloader.exe is bypassed, and the dongle's files are on hard disk.

The ToS changes a lot. Maybe there's something that touches on dongleless. (I just noticed "excessive use" is better defined as 20 times the average customer use. Now, if they'd just say what the average customer use is.).

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main point in that comment was that the MJ is sold as an indivisible package, so that infrastructure, maintenance and customer support costs can be minimized. This is no different than Vonage demanding that their service only be used with an ATA that they supplied to you. Support costs for BYOD customers who don't accept responsibility for their own environments is exponentially greater than for customers with captive clients.

Similarly, the MJ dongle wakes up and phones home to learn its SIP credentials, network topology updates, get software updates, etc., prior to performing the SIP registration. When we defeat this interaction by removing the dongle from the equation we are preventing the network from informing us of any changes, and the service stops working in order to get our attention.

There are many conversations here that talk about having to plug in the real MJ from time to time because the service has stopped working with the alternate device (or dongle-less). This is all just part of the "big picture" that MJ engineering put together to keep operational costs low enough to offer us the least expensive all-you-can-eat service I am aware of.

The fact that folks here have figured out how to extract a higher quality or more fully featured service out of MJ is incredible. But, we need to remember that we are giving up our right to ask MJ to help us when something goes awry, and that we have no right to demand that MJ assist us in this endeavor. Luxus seems to have forgotten this point, hence my comment.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
When we defeat this interaction by removing the dongle from the equation we are preventing the network from informing us of any changes, and the service stops working in order to get our attention.

I don't think it defeats anything. The upgrade still comes through when running dongleless. But, it isn't successful. A user has to run with the dongle and recreate the dongleless environment after successful upgrade. (I.e., they know an upgrade is occurring, and can't use MJ until they let it occur.).

I agree that people changing proxies, running dongleless, applying QoS rules (which may eventually break) aren't "in the box" practices that Dan envisioned. Those things could lead to greater support costs. I was only concerned with the comment that these things violate the ToS.

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Your comment made me go read the ToS again.
magicJack_ToS wrote:
To enable your use of the magicJack device, you must first download the magicJack Software. Some enhanced features also require you to purchase the magicJack device. In addition, you need a computer running Windows XP with a high speed Internet connection and, if you purchase the magicJack device, an available USB port. <snip> Although once you have purchased a magicJack device or downloaded the Software, use of the magicJack device and/or the Software is free, you are responsible for getting the things you need to make the magicJack device work, and that may involve third-party fees (such as Internet service provider or Internet airtime charges).
Now, I am truly confused. Apparently, it is possible within the ToS to have MJ service without having purchased a dongle. Therefore, it cannot be outside the ToS to use the software alone after having put the dongle aside.

So, here's the $64,000 question. Who knows where to download the software package and sign up for a new MJ account without having purchased an associated dongle?
tinko
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont understand why shouldn't we use it without Dongle? Tos what is the big deal
people who want to use magicjack without dongle, how it makes a different
the only person can use it without Dongle is the person who have actually bought the Device. I don't know how can you vilote Tos by doing this?
and anyway its much convenient for some people to use it without Dongle
if you have files in your laptop you go somewhere out side, you dont have to connect the Dongle i guess that would be better . WELL I DIDN'T get Successful doing This procedure So i was asking for a Video Instructions or Tutorial. i dont know but reading all those comments it sound like you need a dongle time by time to update the software?

So someone any good person is willing to make a video tutorial ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: