magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dlink Dir-655 Router conflicts and a FIX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Dlink Dir-655 Router conflicts and a FIX Reply with quote

To anyone that is using a 655 router.

Yesterday MagicJack updated their MagicFix routine and my system would not complete the test. The las item something about connecting to the severs I got a big red X. The phone still worked but the obsessive compulsive side of me kicked in and I went digging for why.

Short story - SIP in the router is by default ON. I guess it is some kind of a window for phone traffic, don't have a clue. Anyway it had a foot note that if your VOIP is acting funny disable this feature, so I did.

The new MagicFix diagnostic now completes with no errors - "All Green check marks"
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind Laughing Just downloaded the DIR-655 manual to see what it said about SIP. Apparently, Dlink implements many ALGs (application layer gateway) including SIP ALG to assist some [dumb] VOIP services to work in a NAT environment. MJ VOIP service seems to be smart enough & works fine with my NAT router and doesn't require me (the user) to adjust any router setting. So indeed, the SIP [assist] setting in the Dlink DIR-655 router could interfere with MJ's SIP/VOIP traffic. Turning it off is the right choice Laughing Laughing

Last edited by LikeMagic on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic,

Thanks for the information, obviously I never bothered to look it up. Which brings up a question, do you ever kick-back and rest? It is to the point, just ask and LikeMagic there is your answer. (excuse the little pun).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: