magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabling voice mail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ has problems with their voicemail from time to time and some people want to have more than four rings on their phone before MJ's voicemail kicks in.
T-Man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: When running as a service, voicemail always picks up Reply with quote

I've also posted this question here.

I've got the MJ running as a service on win7, plus I've gone through the steps in this thread to "disable" voicemail. It is very stable and works great, except that the voicemail always picks up after the four rings.

If I run the MJ normally (not as a service), voicemail never picks up. Any ideas what may be going on here?

Thanks

T-Man
dartran
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some messing around I finally got the skinless mode to work.
The trick I found was to have the window open that contains the big.skn and small.skn. Then do an advanced users>restart. WHILE IT IS RESTARTING CLICK BACK AND DELETE THE TWO .SKN files. MJ will come up skinless and you can change the options.
joboo7777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Increasing the number of rings before going to MJ voicemail Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have read through this thread as well as others on the board but I can't see to find the reg settings that need to be tweaked to increase the number of rings before going to MJ voicemail. Seems like the discussion focuses around disabling VM completely. Can someone provide the reg settings needed to delay the transfer to MJ voicemail?

Thanks
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing the number of rings before going to MJ voicem Reply with quote

joboo7777 wrote:
Hi all,

I have read through this thread as well as others on the board but I can't see to find the reg settings that need to be tweaked to increase the number of rings before going to MJ voicemail. Seems like the discussion focuses around disabling VM completely. Can someone provide the reg settings needed to delay the transfer to MJ voicemail?

Thanks
There's no way to increase the number of rings and continue to use MJ's voicemail. The only options I have found are to use an answering machine or transfer to a google voice number after 20 seconds and get 8 rings before google's voicemail kicks in. This is assuming that you have a google voice number that rings your MJ line.
joboo7777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I do have a GV number so I will try that. Just seems odd as I would think since my GV rings my MJ number, transferring my MJ back to GV it would create a loop? I guess not. Thanks again for the information!

Updated: What to make sure I do this right. Is Call FWD the same as Transfer? Can I just go into my magicjack portal and set the call forward number? Would this work?
joboo7777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out. Thanks for the help!
peterlemonjello
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo7777 wrote:

Want to share what you did to get this working?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterlemonjello wrote:
joboo7777 wrote:

Want to share what you did to get this working?
Call forward will not ring your MJ line only the number you forward it to like a cell phone. Call transfer at 20 seconds allows your MJ line to ring 4 times then transfer to another number. The reason you get 8 rings when you transfer to your google voice number is that google voice is set at 4 rings then their voicemail starts. You set up your google voice number to ring your MJ number.
vdot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing the number of rings before going to MJ voicem Reply with quote

joboo7777 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

MagicBeans lets you set rings to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12 or 15 rings before
sending to Vmail (or infinite rings)

It does a lot more, too.... Smile

Here's the site to get it: http://www.magicjackbeans.com
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: No help for MJ, but NT lets you manipulate it Reply with quote

I may be hanging up my MJ for the NetTalk 6000 for several reasons, but regarding this thread, now that NT has voicemail working, they also let you turn it on or off at the service point. Just sayin'..... MJ should be so kind.....
rattfan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish this would work with my computer off, as people can still leave voice mail, however it does work with pc on and modem. I also downloaded another program and I set the rings to 3, after that you hear nothing because the voice mail is turned off. I tested with my cell phone and placed calls to myself. LOL..I heard nothing on the other end and nothing was recorded. Is a nice feature.
angelotrin
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabling VoiceMail / Answering machine pickup Reply with quote

Yes IT DOES WORK. Until you restart you computer that is. AND then MG sets all changes back and it begins answering your call after the 4 rings again.

TooManyIDs wrote:
Yes, that appears to have worked. Thanks.

Eponymous wrote:
-----With MagicJack Running------
Renamed: %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\big.skn to big.skn.old
From MagicJack: Menu->Advanced Users->Restart
Transfer Button: On no Answer for 20 sec. <Your MagicJack#> in Number Window.
( <Your MagicJack#> is your 7 digit MagicJack phone# as in 1234567890 )
Set Answer machine to 6 rings.
Renamed: Renamed: %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\big.skn.old to big.skn
From MagicJack: Exit
Relaunch from %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\MagicJackLoader.exe
thedizzel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joevv"]ok here we go.......

this does not work, MJ just rewrites the files right after you enable it.
joevv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thedizzel"]
joevv wrote:
ok here we go.......

It does work but its a bit techie. I would recommend Magicfeatures.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/holiday-special-magicfeatures-now-just-6-95-t7976.html

Joe
newtoncd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joevv"]
thedizzel wrote:
joevv wrote:
ok here we go.......

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/holiday-special-magicfeatures-now-just-6-95-t7976.html

Joe

The features it adds to magicJack for $6.95 are excellent.
thedizzel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joevv"]
thedizzel wrote:
joevv wrote:
ok here we go.......

Joe

Hi Joevv,

I appreciate your reply, right now i am so against puttng more money into this....what is your version and/or Techie solution.....you would no believe how much time i have spent in the registry, folders, ini files trying to hack this thing.....I am all ears (eyes) in hearing (seeing) what you got.

thanks

john
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really an outdated solution to disable voice mail but I understand you not wanting to spend more money.

The trick to making this work is to not unplug MJ before or after deleting the skin file. Also depending on which skin its using determines which one to delete. For example: with MJ running look at the softphone and see which skin its on, big or small. Delete the one not being used. Then restart MJ Menu->Advanced users->Restart. Once you make your changes do not uplug MJ, just restart it using the icon on the desktop.

Joe
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to download stroth's utility manager. You can stop and start MJ without unplugging. With MJ stopped just delete both the big and small skins and then restart using the utility manager. When MJ starts backup you will see all the things you will need to disable voicemail with the instructions joe has given. When finished with the instructions stop MJ again with the utility manager and go into recycling bin on your computer and restore the big and small skins and MJ will look like normal again. You will have to repeat this everytime you unplug your MJ because it goes back to it's default settings.
tsweet967
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Unable to disable voicemail Reply with quote

I have followed the steps, after I dlete skin and get to the transfer it will not accept any number I put in it says "connot accept in current configuration" I have tryed with 1 dashs w/o dashes and without 1 or area code. The only reason I can think it wont allow is because it is showing as disconnected. Any suggestion? to solve this.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to disable voicemail Reply with quote

tsweet967 wrote:
I have followed the steps, after I dlete skin and get to the transfer it will not accept any number I put in it says "connot accept in current configuration" I have tryed with 1 dashs w/o dashes and without 1 or area code. The only reason I can think it wont allow is because it is showing as disconnected. Any suggestion? to solve this.
This won't work anymore doing it from the softphone. I can't tell you the other method of doing it (never tried it) but if you purchase Magicbeans you can disable voicemail and have other options as well. This just started happening in the past week as MJ put out another update killing the ability disable voicemail and transfer calls from the softphone.
tsweet967
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Disable MJ voicemail Reply with quote

I cant understand why MJ doesnt want the end user the abiltiy, to have simple control of there voice mail, either to turn off or determine when the voice mail engages. To force us to goto thrid party software to get what they should be providing is silly. If you ask me I think everyone who wants the voicemail disabled to email there customer suporrt and demand it politelly (on a daily basis) The more that do maybe change will come.
T-Man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Disabling Voicemail Still Works - IF You Tweak the Registry Reply with quote

vdot wrote:

Here's what you want to do for Call Continuous (w/o vmail & w/o problems):

Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe), and Navigate to this hive entry:
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\Options\Calling Options

Set CallForwardingEnabled = 6 (ie: 2 (Busy) + 4 (No Answer)) (OverRides CFUnconditional (ie: 1))
Set CFBusyTarget = MJ Phone #
Set CFNoAnswerTarget = MJ Phone #
Set CFNoAnswerTimeout = 15 (Every 5 [Seconds] = 1 Phone Ring; LEAVE IT at 15)

Make Sure:
AutoIgnoreCalls = 0 and/or AutoIgnoreTimeout (up to 16 only) > CFNoAnswerTimout

NOTE: Similar settings would apply to ATAs, too.

Run taskmgr.exe (you can leave regedt32.exe open), and Kill any/all of these process(es):
magicJack.exe (should be the only one running)
mjsetup.exe
MagicJackLoader.exe
MagicJackSplash.exe

Run (or make a shortcut of & double-click):
"C:\Documents and Settings\login-name\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJackLoader.exe"

Vdot's registry instructions still work to disable voicemail. Just remember to add dashes to your phone number when entering them into the registry

Set CFBusyTarget = MJ Phone # (like this ###-###-####)
Set CFNoAnswerTarget = MJ Phone # (like this ###-###-####)

Also, one hitch with this hack that I've noticed. If I pick up the phone when the MJ gets to the fourth ring and is in process of forwarding to itself (I hear a sort of double ring here), I lose the caller. However, if I wait until after the fifth ring I'm good to go (as long as I get it before google voice voicemail picks up). Perhaps changing CFNoAnswerTimeout value might have an effect...

Thanks to Vdot for this tip!!

T-Man
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabling Voicemail Still Works - IF You Tweak the Regis Reply with quote

T-Man wrote:
vdot wrote:

Here's what you want to do for Call Continuous (w/o vmail & w/o problems):

Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe), and Navigate to this hive entry:
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\Options\Calling Options

Set CallForwardingEnabled = 6 (ie: 2 (Busy) + 4 (No Answer)) (OverRides CFUnconditional (ie: 1))
Set CFBusyTarget = MJ Phone #
Set CFNoAnswerTarget = MJ Phone #
Set CFNoAnswerTimeout = 15 (Every 5 [Seconds] = 1 Phone Ring; LEAVE IT at 15)

Make Sure:
AutoIgnoreCalls = 0 and/or AutoIgnoreTimeout (up to 16 only) > CFNoAnswerTimout

NOTE: Similar settings would apply to ATAs, too.

Run taskmgr.exe (you can leave regedt32.exe open), and Kill any/all of these process(es):
magicJack.exe (should be the only one running)
mjsetup.exe
MagicJackLoader.exe
MagicJackSplash.exe

Run (or make a shortcut of & double-click):
"C:\Documents and Settings\login-name\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJackLoader.exe"

Vdot's registry instructions still work to disable voicemail. Just remember to add dashes to your phone number when entering them into the registry

Set CFBusyTarget = MJ Phone # (like this ###-###-####)
Set CFNoAnswerTarget = MJ Phone # (like this ###-###-####)

Also, one hitch with this hack that I've noticed. If I pick up the phone when the MJ gets to the fourth ring and is in process of forwarding to itself (I hear a sort of double ring here), I lose the caller. However, if I wait until after the fifth ring I'm good to go (as long as I get it before google voice voicemail picks up). Perhaps changing CFNoAnswerTimeout value might have an effect...

Thanks to Vdot for this tip!!

T-Man
If you pickup and hear the double ring just hit the talk button again and the phone will pickup like normal.
IcedDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I just got a MJ and I've tried the registry fixes in this thread to tweak the MJ voicemail, but to no avail. I even tried the skin maneuver, but that simply causes the MJ app not to appear at all after restarting. I'm thinking perhaps these registry hacks don't work with the current generation of MJ...does anyone have any suggestions? I tried the MagicRingForever app and that seemed to work, but I figured I'd ask here first before I fork over $10 when the trial period ends.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcedDog wrote:
Hi all, I just got a MJ and I've tried the registry fixes in this thread to tweak the MJ voicemail, but to no avail. I even tried the skin maneuver, but that simply causes the MJ app not to appear at all after restarting. I'm thinking perhaps these registry hacks don't work with the current generation of MJ...does anyone have any suggestions? I tried the MagicRingForever app and that seemed to work, but I figured I'd ask here first before I fork over $10 when the trial period ends.

RingForever is the only way to go at the current time......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IcedDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the reply. Although this begs another question, why is MJ so hung up on forcing their voicemail on everyone and making it so inflexible? It just seems like bad business.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcedDog wrote:
OK, thanks for the reply. Although this begs another question, why is MJ so hung up on forcing their voicemail on everyone and making it so inflexible? It just seems like bad business.

You mean like blocking a gazilion exchanges?? Blocking the WHOLE state of Alaska? Or limiting our outgoing calls to 90 min?? Sneaking in an AUTO RENEW a year or so ago and NOT letting anyone know? In the grand scheme of what MJ does?? Their VM is the least of their bad business practices...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nibs123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have tried pretty much everything to try to disable the voicemail but no luck so far. The registry edits don't seem to work and deleting the skn files results in a failure to start magicjack so I never have the chance to try to edit the information.

Seems like the newer versions don't support such tampering?

bitstopjoe wrote:

RingForever is the only way to go at the current time......

Any advice or tricks anyone knows that will work now? or is Ringforever still the only option?

Much obliged Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibs123 wrote:
is Ringforever still the only option?

It's not the answer you're really looking for, but the fine folks that sell Ringforever also sell MagicFeatures, which I use. It has many useful options like speed dial and caller id with name. If you end up going for Ringforever, I might do MagicFeatures instead, despite the extra cost. It somehow makes use of my answering machine instead of MJ's voicemail. I'm not sure if it would use MJ voicemail if I didn't have an answering machine on my phone, but it is another option.
nibs123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
nibs123 wrote:
is Ringforever still the only option?

It's not the answer you're really looking for, but the fine folks that sell Ringforever also sell MagicFeatures, which I use. It has many useful options like speed dial and caller id with name. If you end up going for Ringforever, I might do MagicFeatures instead, despite the extra cost. It somehow makes use of my answering machine instead of MJ's voicemail. I'm not sure if it would use MJ voicemail if I didn't have an answering machine on my phone, but it is another option.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I was hoping to get a solution that was more of a workaround as opposed to purchasing another program as I am a starving student and could use that extra money on a great deal of other things Smile

I guess I will just deal with it for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: