magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did they do something to disable use on a thin client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steevow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Did they do something to disable use on a thin client Reply with quote

I have been hearing of the magicjack not loading when put in an HP thin client, A T5710.

Repeatedly, as of late. It's getting to be a pattern. I am starting to suspect this is deliberate.

I realize they added a lot to the last upgrade and the flash might be inadequate and thus might not work.

But that should not prevent the magicjack from being detected in the USB port. That's pretty standard stuff after all. Not the same as running out of flash.

How many are still running magicjack on a standard (256 mb flash) T5710?

Please post!
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most have updated to 512 flash or higher. Some have even moved on to other devices.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most have upgraded but those that are on 256mb have tweeked their TC's like this http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/insufficient-flash-drive-space-t10319.html to get them running problem free again. It is definitely deliberate as the price for TC's with 256mb are cheap and Dan and company probably do not want people running their MJ's 24/7 like a real phone line cutting into profits.
dogcacher
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
and Dan and company probably do not want people running their MJ's 24/7 like a real phone line cutting into profits.

Why would Dan care what computer it is run on as long as it is running and the account is up to date? Plus I would think 24/7 is expected by all concerned.

I've got it on a 5710, 512/1024, and haven't looked at it in months. It just sits in a corner out of sight with no monitor or kb and makes and receives phone calls.

Go Pens!
Steevow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: But the weird part is the MJ doesn't try to load Reply with quote

But the weird part is the MJ doesn't try to load when plugged into a non upgraded T5710.

It should. Why wouldn't it?
dogcacher
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: But the weird part is the MJ doesn't try to load Reply with quote

Steevow wrote:
But the weird part is the MJ doesn't try to load when plugged into a non upgraded T5710.

It should. Why wouldn't it?

No idea and I don't want to waste your time with speculation. I do know for sure that 512/512 is the absolute minimum, matter of fact I'd make that 512/1024 without hesitation. Before I upgraded the TC last fall, Magicjack tried to download a new 'lucky you' software version and hung up without an appropriate error message.
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Testing Reply with quote

OK, I reflashed a T5710 with new pristine XPe. It boots and accesses the internet fine on my local network.

I put the Magicjack in it and nothing happens except the blue light goes on. Other than that, zip.

I think it should try to load unless they have done something.

This Magicjack was subjected to the "Lucky you" upgrade some time ago. It is not currently subscribed because it was a store return unit found at the swapmeet. I don't have the pw. It would make calls when I first got it but I was unable to change the address or registration.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcacher wrote:
sabresfan wrote:
and Dan and company probably do not want people running their MJ's 24/7 like a real phone line cutting into profits.

Why would Dan care what computer it is run on as long as it is running and the account is up to date? Plus I would think 24/7 is expected by all concerned.

Go Pens!
My reasoning for this is a TC is about the same as running MJ with an ata. Also the more people use their MJ's 24/7 the higher number of outgoing calls they will make costing MJ more $. Yes they will receive more incoming calls as well but the last updates were aimed at ata and TC users to make life more aggravating for those users.
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Adminstrator vs. User mode Reply with quote

Har har.

Well, lemme just say what the problem turned out to be. Not the flash, but the problem of the magicjack not booting.

It turns out that after a reflash a T5710 is in user mode. In user mode there are apparently restrictions to autorun that affect MJ.

To get to administrator mode hold down shift and click logoff. Say yes to the prompt. Then you get a login prompt with user in the top box. BTW, the pw for user mode is user.

But we need administrator mode. Type Administrator (note initial cap) in both the user and pw box and you will be logged in as administrator.

Now plug in the MJ and it does attempt to load.

That problem solved.
dogcacher
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
the last updates were aimed at ata and TC users to make life more aggravating for those users.

ATA yes. But my guess is that there aren't enough TC users to have any influence on Magicjack's strategies. They advertise 30 million sold, I doubt if there are more than a couple hundred TC users.

Could be I'm whistling in the dark here, no way of knowing.

I do know this from personal experience. Using Magicjack on a daily basis on a desktop computer which was concurrently trying to perform many other tasks was a bit more that I wanted to put up with. Conflicts with other removable media drivers and software, system audio problems, and USB conflicts were a constant annoyance.

I've been in this business for 25 years and was able to keep up with it for a while but I really do think the average user can get in over his head very quickly. Reading about all their problems in this support forum confirms my thoughts and it could be speculated that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

In any event, I'd run Magicjack on some kind of old, single purpose box or not at all, this much I know.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not agree more. It's also speculation on my part about the TC usage but certain things about the latest updates appear to me to have been focused on TC users. People were getting them for cheap (less than $20 at one time) and getting them working with MJ.
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Thousands. Reply with quote

dogcacher wrote:
sabresfan wrote:
the last updates were aimed at ata and TC users to make life more aggravating for those users.

ATA yes. But my guess is that there aren't enough TC users to have any influence on Magicjack's strategies. They advertise 30 million sold, I doubt if there are more than a couple hundred TC users.

I think you are wrong about that. I suspect tens of thousands of TC users with MJ.

That said I can't see why MJ would want to block that, unless they have too many support requests and don't want them.
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Firewall blocking. Reply with quote

I got the MJ software to load as administrator, but the firewall is blocking it so it can't download. I turned off the sygate thing but it's still blocking. Geez.

So I got into control panel, network connections, properties, advanced, windows firewall, click the button, but it says "the requested feature is not available.

I can access websites, including magicjack's.
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Broken storage. Reply with quote

I disabled the sygate firewall by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting exit.

Then I reloaded mj and it said "Lucky you" and upgrading.

Then it says "broken storage".
I think I am finally at the point of where it actually wants more storage.

BTW, is this the same on a T5720? I think those have only 497 mb of available flash after the OS is loaded.

Last edited by Steevo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken storage. Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
I disabled the sygate firewall by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting exit.

Then I reloaded mj and it said "Lucky you" and upgrading.

Then it says "broken storage".
I think I am finally at the point of where it actually wants more storage.

BTW, is this the same on a T5720? I think those also have only 256 mb of flash.
Here's one on ebay with 4gb flash http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-T5720-Thin-Client-Magicjack-Configured-4gb-Flash-/330555248537?pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item4cf6a0cf99#ht_500wt_949
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcacher wrote:

I've got it on a 5710, 512/1024, and haven't looked at it in months. It just sits in a corner out of sight with no monitor or kb and makes and receives phone calls.

Exact same here.

Also, I only know three people in person that own Magicjacks and all three of them run them on TCs. (Wyse and HP).
Steevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: T5720 Reply with quote

I am getting to think a T5720 doesn't cost much more, has more flash and is a much better solution.
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These aren't mine but look at them. Redpepper recomended them on Magicfeaturesplugin forun. Its the one they use as a test machine. My parents use one and has been trouble free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260761746233
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: