magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dialing area code for local numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paperloader
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Dialing area code for local numbers Reply with quote

I asked customer service why I have to dial the area code for local calls now and they said that is the way you use a MJ. Before I just dialed the local number without the area code using my MJ. They said it was an upgrade. What kind of upgrade is that!!! Naturally they don't have an email address to complain about this. Mad
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing area code for local numbers Reply with quote

paperloader wrote:
I asked customer service why I have to dial the area code for local calls now and they said that is the way you use a MJ. Before I just dialed the local number without the area code using my MJ. They said it was an upgrade. What kind of upgrade is that!!! Naturally they don't have an email address to complain about this. Mad

$20 bucks a year? There is no need for complaint about an issue such as this... If you dont like dialing 10 digits then get rid of it, stress is not good for the health... Pay some other provider $20 - $50 bucks a month so you can dial 7 digits local, simple as that, or are you gonna complain about the price?
satrider
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paperholder... I live in an area where we only use 7 numbers also...People can call your number using 7 numbers, but calls out from your phone are 10.
Most states have gone to the 10 digit number and before long all the others wiil too.
chrisabston
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: petty complaints annoy me Reply with quote

I agree, there is no need to complain about dialing an extra 3 numbers when
I save about $460 a year on my phone service. I also agree that most places
are moving to a 10 digit dialing system as is my area is also about 2 months
from implementing a 10 digit dialing system.

If it is really that difficult to dial another 3 numbers just set your friends and
family up in the speed dial and you can be even lazier.

~Chris
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cell phones now require 10 digit dialing. That is the nature of the beast as everyone and their dog has two or more numbers now. At least you don't have to dial "1" first.
BillyH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: 10 digit in Mississippi Reply with quote

We have 10 digit dialing system in Mississippi that ok with me.

Last edited by BillyH on Sun May 25, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 7 digit phone number, sans area code is soon going the way of the buggy-whip, if it hasn't already. I know my Verizon cell service is going to require it sometime this summer so I've begun dialing the area code with the number as a matter of course, just to get in the habit. And I pay those creeps, uh, I mean fine folks almost $300 a month.
TopCut
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: gee have to dial 10 digits :) Reply with quote

Put them on Speed dial....!!!!!!!!!...geea such nitpicking....I think someone has tooooo much time on their hands Smile
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear. People are the pettiest creatures alive. Just dial the seven numbers and be glad you don't have to pay long distance anymore. Even better, if it's that important, I'm sure Vonage or another telephone company will solve your seven digit dilemma for about $25 A MONTH OR MORE so you can go back to seven digit dialing.
paperloader
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my magicjack I only had to dial 7 numbers for local calls. Recently it changed as an "update" so that I have to dial the area code now. I still think it is a pain in the butt! I don't care what anyone else thinks about this because that is why I posted in the rants section. Maybe other people don't care about dialing the area code but I do. This was NOT an update!!!
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ will probably fix this fairly quickly. If your phone has speed dial buttons, program them for numbers you call frequently, and set one with just your area code, so you can dial other local numbers with 8 presses. Or, on numbers where 7-digit dialing used to work, try dialing *** after the number. E.g., to call 314-867-5309, dial 8675309*** .
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart said ", on numbers where 7-digit dialing used to work, try dialing *** after the number. E.g., to call 314-867-5309, dial 8675309*** ."

Hey, Stewart thanks for the tip as that dialing method also is working for magicJack users with 502 area codes calling local 502 area code numbers Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Ohio Telecom

"Why do customers have to dial ten digits for every phone call in an all-services overlay relief plan?
The FCC has required local 10-digit dialing with area code all-services overlays in order to level the playing field, so that new telephone companies can offer their services without suffering a competitive disadvantage. Without local 10-digit dialing, customers could find it less attractive to choose a new telephone company if doing so would mean always dialing 10 digits, when choosing an established telephone company would allow them to dial only seven digits. In addition, local 10-digit dialing permits a fuller use of all of the numbers within an area code, extending the life of the area code. In order to differentiate between a phone number with the old code and a phone number with the new code, all 10 digits must be dialed."
TopCut
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: *** after the number Reply with quote

Didn't work for me in the 217 area code....In fact got someone I didn't even know Smile
gooney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the news last night and in feb, 2009(same time when they switch from analog to digital tv signals) we will be dialing 10 digit numbers for local calls. This also includes cell phones. By that time i will be used to it since im currently dialing 10 digits with my MJ Wink
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the money you are saving by using MJ, you should be able to afford the device below. It will dial your area code for you! Very Happy

http://sandman.com/autodial.html#MSC5Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: