magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DATA (or FAX) USE ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: DATA (or FAX) USE ? Reply with quote

I do not have a landline (cell only). Used to connect to a local dialup computer via pcAnywhere over the cellphone to look at some telemetry data. Changed cell service and no longer have that capability.

It looked as if magicJack would be a terrific solution to use VOIP to continue to connect my computer to the dialup machine. Although pcAnywhere DOES dial over the magicJack connection and I can see the ringing & answer on the other end, the handshake is never completed and no data connection is established.

Is there a hack or fix for this issue or is majicJack just a poor choice for this application?

Thanks,
--Larry
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data over VoIP is extremely problematic. How does the MJ machine connect to the Internet? If by DSL or a good cable modem, there is some hope. Test to Boston at http://www.testyourvoip.com/ . If you get a score of 4.2 or better in each direction, try setting your modem to force a V.34 or V.32 connection at a low speed. Try 9600 bps first, then faster if successful. Also try adjusting the mic and speaker volume levels on MJ.

A better solution would be to avoid the dialup. If the remote machine has a full time Internet connection, you should be able to connect by VPN, or with pcAnywhere over the Internet. If not, perhaps you can get it to periodically dial up (I assume that it has a real landline connection) and upload the telemetry data to a server, from which you can then retrieve it over the Internet. If that is not feasible, maybe you can call it to trigger a script which dials up to the Internet for a short time, during which you can connect via pcAnywhere.
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stewart. I am connected via wireless-g (through a range extender) to a cable connection. The host computer does not have an Internet connetion as it is dedicated to the water system it monitors, but does have a local telephone connection.

I'll work on forcing my modem to a slower speed and using the test site you suggested. So far I have not had any luck w/ the magicJack using my computer speakers, although per the magic Fix and an "online chat" the settings are correct. I'll set both to their highest settings.

Thanks again for the prompt response.

--Larry
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the tests, Stewart and consistantly get a 4.2 or 4.1 result. The largest drop (.5...) appears to be related to codec loss. Can one change or update the codec for better response?

Thanks,
--Larry
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I verified the modem makes a good connection over a standard landline, but still get no connection with the magicJack. I really don't want to give up on this . . anymore ideas?

--Larry
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to connect a couple of times at VERY low baud rates. Reading about the difficulties of data over VOIP I downloaded and installed G.711 codec. Now how do I get the magicJack to work with it?

--Larry
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ already has G.711 installed. To confirm that it's being used, capture a call with Wireshark and look at the RTP packets. If it's using G711 A-law, you might see a small improvement switching to G711 U-law. Exit MJ and change the registry value HKCU\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\AudioPreferences\MSG711A\Enabled to 0. Then, restart MJ and make another test call. You should now see U-law packets.

You may be able to make the connection more reliable and/or faster by adjusting the handset send or receive volume levels. I would try downward first.

IMHO, data over VoIP is always flaky; your best bet would be to find a way to avoid it. I know little about your setup; if I've guessed correctly, here are a couple of possibilities:

Is there a landline (or at least a cable digital voice line) near the cable modem? If so, a computer there should be able to connect reliably to the water system machine. You could either run modem sharing software on the intermediate PC, or connect to it from the MJ PC with VNC, RDP, or another copy of pcAnywhere (via Wi-Fi).

If you just need to see the telemetry data periodically, you could have a script on the water system machine that dials up an Internet connection at regular intervals and sends you the data via email, or uploads it to e.g. an FTP server. If you need to see the data on demand, you could call the system and the script would send the email or FTP in response.

If the water system PC is in range of a Wi-Fi network (using a high-gain external antenna if needed), it could have a full time Internet connection. If it presently has a dedicated phone line, the cost of adding the Wi-Fi would be quickly saved if the phone line could be eliminated.

If the water system is in a building with a wired network, or if it's in an outbuilding with it's phone wire connected to a main building, you may be able to reuse the phone wire as an Ethernet cable, to give the monitor system an Internet connection.

If none of the above are applicable to your system, let me know the details and maybe we can come up with an alternate solution.
amphi66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch - sounds like I have lots of negative responses to you here, Stewart.

The Water System telemetry computer is about 3/4 mile away (not in visual sight) and has a landline telephone connection - no internet service. No WiFi or existing cable service in the area, but I will look into relative costs of canceling the telephone line and switching to a cable Internet connection.

I have no landline, but do have a wireless internet cable connection via a "community" router & range entender. I score 4.1 or 4.2 on "testyourvoip".

I wil also check out the registry settings and various send/receive levels and report back.

Thanks again.

--Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: